Originally Posted by First Amongst Daves
I need to read it before I make any sort of definitive comment. I got the impression it was a counterpretentious exercise in slut-shaming.

Beyond enjoying the original Wolfman/Perez run, I have no real emotional attachment or investment in the character. However, I have read in the past that the version of the character who appeared on the "Teen Titans" and "Teen Titans Go" cartoons, was something of a role model for young girls of that era, precisely for having a positive personality and other admirable character traits. From the description of the novel and the cover art, they do seem to be using a version closer to the cartoon than the original comics and there does appear to be at least a bit of the author trying to tell the reader they were wrong to admire that character.

On a related note, one of the things I find more than a bit off-putting about modern comics is that the creators seem hellbent on taking the wish-fulfillment and aspirational aspects out of the genre. It seems we're supposed to want to read about people exactly like us (or worse off than us) instead of people we might want to be. Even good looking and successful characters are miserable. Supergenius characters are never altruistic but autistic. It's as one dimensional (albeit in the opposite direction) as "too perfect" characters of the silver age.