Quote:
Originally posted by Beardguy57:
Jack Kirby is sad because no one is singing his praises
anymore..... \:\(

Well, it's a good thing you're here, then, Beardguy, to pick up the slack !
\:\)

Another series that wonderfully picks up and expands on Kirby's Fourth World series is FOREVER PEOPLE 1-6 (1988) written by J.M. DeMatteis, and illustrated by Paris Cullens and Karl Kesel.

( larger cover images HERE )

I'd especially recommend issue 5, and if you like that, then pick up the rest of the series.

Extremely well written, it captures well the themes of a shadow war being conducted on Earth between good and evil, for the possession of humanity.
The one side (Apokalips) limiting mankind's human potential, whispering notions of fear, anger and petty jealousy to humans, spreading doubts that drive individuals from reaching for greatness, and drive people apart with fear, resentment and fanaticism.
The other side (New Genesis) whispering inspiration, encouragement and love to humans, that presses individuals toward achieving their own potential and happiness, and sharing their happiness with others.

Like Kirby's original series, FOREVER PEOPLE 1-6 captures well a parallel pseudo-Biblical clash between good and evil, of spiritual warfare between two opposing sides, for the spiritual possession of mankind.

There are some minor elements I don't like about the series.
Contrary to developments in the 1988 miniseries, I like the idea of the Forever People as immortal gods, who are eternal symbols of each new generation, full of new ideas and hope for the future.
And I didn't like the way DeMatteis in this new series locks the Forever People into the 60's generation, and ages them, which in my eyes makes them largely cease to be an eternal image of each new generation.
Although the one generation, as DeMatties develops it, can still be a metaphor for each new generation, even though specifically representing only one generation (the 60's generation).

On the plus-side, DeMatteis' linking the Forever People to one generation allows exploration of the Forever People's (and by metaphor, the 60's generation's) descent (during the period from the end of the first series in 1972 till the beginning of this series in 1988) into middle-aged cynicism, disillusionment and complacency, and sends the Forever People on a rejuvinating rediscovery of the optimism of their youth, and a greater appreciation for the blessings in their lives.

Paris Cullins, without swiping from Kirby, does a wonderful job in his art of capturing the visual style of Kirby, with many Kirby-style three-panel and four-panel pages and splash pages, squared fingertips and faces, crackling energy and other Kirby-esque visual elements.

As I said in a letter to Marc DeMatteis at the time, it is an extremely provocative and well-thought-out expansion of Kirby's Fourth World series.

Kirby's Fourth World is rich in symbolic and literary elements, that lay the groundwork for vast expansion. Which FOREVER PEOPLE 1-6 beautifully explores.