quote:
Originally posted by Dave:
And then, you contradict yourself in two adjacent sentences:

quote:
Dave the Wonder Boy:
Islam, again, was violent in its spread from the time it began.

There have been peaceful and violent periods in both Muslim and Christian history.

As I made clear, I don't consider true Christianity to be practiced violently. I made clear that brutality occurred in the absence of true Christian teachings, under the deliberate misrepresentation of the Roman Catholic church and its clergy, which was finally abolished with the Enlightenment, begun by Martin Luther in 1517 (as I said above).

quote:

And finally, we see your prejudices and ignorance laid out in full:

That's a bit venomous and unnecessary, Dave. If you disagree with my views, there is ALWAYS a more diplomatic and polite way to say it than that.
As in the Gay Marriage topic, I think you go beyond respectful disagreement, and resort to name-calling.

I don't ever call you ignorant.
quote:

quote:
Dave the Wonder Boy:

But at its root beliefs, Islam advocates violence in the name of Islam. Christianity does not. They are NOT comparable religions.

But see this:

quote:

Islam assigns Jews and Christians (and certain other, smaller, religions) the status of people of the Book on the basis of their monotheism, and their beliefs about God and the world. This status is based on several passages from the Quran that say how Christians, Jews, and Muslims share common scripture, morals, and prophets. Muslims believe that the 'People of the Book,' if they are decent and good, regardless of the fact that they are not Muslim, will go to Heaven. They are seen as cousins in the family of believers, and Muslims are encouraged to live on peaceful and equitable terms with them.

In one verse of the Quran, it says "God forbids you not, with regards to those who fight you not for [your] faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them; for God loveth those who are just." (Quran, 60:8) which is interpreted as a clear admonition not to be disrespectful or unkind to non-Muslims. According to an authentic hadith, Muhammad said to his people "The one who murders a dhimmi(non-Muslim under protection of the state) will not smell the fragrance of Paradise, even if its smell was forty years travelling distance" [Sahih Ahmed].

There are many other portions of the Quran that teach violent treatment of all who are unreceptive to the teachings of Islam.
Christians, contrary to what you quoted above, are seen as unbelievers who have a misguided view of the Bible. Muslims teach that that Ishmael is the favored son of Abraham (not Isaac, as the Bible clearly teaches in Genesis chapters 16 and 17: )
http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible?passage=GEN+16&language=english&version=NIV

And they likewise view Christians with more contempt than the verse you just quoted above would indicate.
They look at the Old Testament and New Testament (selectively excerpted) as books of wisdom, but they don't believe Jesus is God, or really much of any of what the Bible teaches beyond Genesis 16.

Muslims believe Christ's resurrection is a fraud, that another man died on the cross, so he could pull off a hoax.

Muslims believe that Christians are "polytheists" (Father/Son/Holy Ghost is seen as worshipping multiple gods), and the idea that Allah had a human son is considered blasphemous:
quote:
The Quran:

[4.157] And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa [Jesus] son of Marium [Mary], the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure.

[4.171] O followers of the Book! do not exceed the limits in your religion, and do not speak (lies) against Allah, but (speak) the truth; the Messiah, Isa son of Marium is only an apostle of Allah and His Word which He communicated to Marium and a spirit from Him; believe therefore in Allah and His apostles, and say not, Three. [trinity: Father, Son, Holy Ghost] Desist, it is better for you; Allah is only one God; far be It from His glory that He should have a son, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth is His, and Allah is sufficient for a Protector.

[5.75] The Messiah, son of Marium is but an apostle; apostles before him have indeed passed away; and his mother was a truthful woman; they both used to eat food. See how We make the communications clear to them, then behold, how they are turned away.

[19.88] And they [Christians] say: The Beneficent God has taken (to Himself) a son.
[19.89] Certainly you have made an abominable assertion
[19.90] The heavens may almost be rent thereat, and the earth cleave asunder, and the mountains fall down in pieces,
[19.91] That they ascribe a son to the Beneficent God.

Clearly, Muslims do not share Christian faith in Jesus as Messiah. And view Christians with suspicion accordingly.