Quote:

King Snarf said:
Uh, no. I don't care about really, pointlessly long drivel. It used to be a promo was just a paragraph or two. Now, everyone needs to write out the smallest details and insert pithy commentary from the announcers. I remember one time, I posted what I thought was a promo, just a simple paragraph, and was told by a few folks that that "didn't count" or something. Part of the reason I post sporadically is that I don't want to write a whole bunch of actions or comments. A promo should be you say your thoughts about the match and that's it.

Have you been reading SPAMM's promos lately? Very short and to the point, and very funny. You don't have to write long promos, you don't have to write an interview, you don't have to write commentary in the promo. When I first started, I didn't do any of that. I just came out to the ring and talked about my match. It helped me to work with Oakley, because he and I worked together to sell our feud. We'd take turns posting first, and the second poster would get the physical shots in. But as I continued to work on my character, I wanted to add things into the post to make it more entertaining. I worked hard to get a grasp for how Monroe and Marcum would react to a situation, and I use that when I write up match recaps as well. I don't always add commentary to my posts, but if I can, I do, because in a real show, the announcers never shut up. But that's just me. Other people have done the same, probably because they want that same effect from their posts. But not everyone does that. No one has to. It's a personal decision.

As for the lengths of the promos, sometimes it just works that way. Sometimes a poster has a lot to say. And those posts are important because they often give us more to work with in response to the character. No one has to write a long promo, but it happens. Sometimes it happens a lot. If you want to participate in the forum, you have to read other people's work. Why should they read your work if you don't want to read theirs? And if you don't like that someone is making long posts, then start a feud with the person. The longer the post, the more ammunition the poster is providing you for your own promo. Look at what Joe wrote on Meeko's Mic Night. I used some of it, and Sammitch took off with it.

You don't like that Meeko's Mic Night was one continuous post? It looked too long for you? That's just too bad. It was originally just going to be the interview with Joe. But in talking with Joe, I suggested that I would make a post right after it to say that I was not invoking my rematch. I figured that would help open the door for other people to respond. But Joe wasn't able to send me his lines until the weekend, and I didn't get online until Saturday night. It happened that Sammitch was on, so I asked if he wanted to accept the challenge, and my post became part of the larger promo as a segue to introduce Sammitch. Sammitch sent me his lines at 2 am Sunday morning. I was sleeping. What was I supposed to do? Was I supposed to post Meeko's Mic Night with Monroe, and then post my promo to introduce Sammitch, and then hold everyone up so that Sammitch could post hours later? I don't think so. I posted the entire promo Sunday afternoon when I got home from work. One promo, one post. Three different contributors.

You didn't want to read that? Then maybe the other guys are right. Maybe this isn't for you. If you don't have the respect to read what other people put effort into, then why should we care to work with you? It's a two-way street.

I do have some ideas to run by you, if and when you're interested. But it's entirely up to you if you want to participate in any of this. My advice is take a step back and just read, and I mean really read, what we are posting. Read the promos. Read the recaps. Do that for a few weeks. Watch how everything gets put together. It's not easy to book this show. There is a lot to keep track of, and even with four of us working at it, we still sometimes miss something. We're only human. But for the most part, it's a smooth operation. Why? Because the people who want to succeed contribute and communicate with us and each other, and that creates a flow in the writing. That's how it works.

Quote:

King Snarf said:
Also, I really don't care about anything involving obvious alt id's.

That's interesting, because it was an alt ID that pushed you to the top. Think about that.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>