Quote:

Uschi said:
This is the only problem: refusing to transfer a woman's prescription for birth-control pills to another druggist or to give the slip back to her.

"Their job is not to regulate what people take or do. It's just to fill the prescription that was ordered by my physician." Actually, their job partially IS to regulate wjat people take. Otherwise they can get sued and have their liscance revoked. There are people who claim to be doctors or are shady doctors who prescribe controlled substances and other drugs. It's not just the Pharmacist's job to recognise and stop these occurances but also to ensure the doctor doesn't perscribe medications which would have negitive interactions with other medications. Rest assured, pharmacists know more about medications then physicians do. And they go to just about as much school. Their job is not to "just ... fill the prescription that was ordered by my physician." THAT is mostly what pharmacy technicians do (we do more, but not too much).

A pharmacist has the right to refuse to sell a product they find morally reprehensable, just like any other customer-oriented service has the right to refuse service. If the pharmacist refuses, there are two courses of action:
1. the customer takes their business elsewhere
2. if the pharmacist is not self-employed, their employer may chose to terminate their employment contract. Brauer was fired in 1996 after she refused to refill a prescription for birth-control pills at a Kmart in the Cincinnati suburb of Delhi Township.

very good. i approve.

the issue i have is that birth control pills aren't always used as contraception. my ex-wif used to use birth control pills to regulate her cycle (without them she had her period once every two weeks...and that sucked) and missing a day would have been disastrous.

i can understand this pharmacist's dilemna, but she should have given people warning (a month at least), as Uschi said.