Quote:

the G-man said:
I think the posting of on topic political cartoons can be a good way to revive a long dormant, but still potentially relevant thread, or just stimulate conversation.

I had no problem with whomod doing it either, provided they were on topic.

My apologies. In my long absence, I forgot about the "use a greamlin to signify when you're making a joke" custom we have around here (although I kinda thought it was obvious).

Quote:

I acknowledge that the non-wacko opponents of the Patriot may have good intentions. On the other hand, and something the cartoon touches on, even well intentioned efforts can have dangerous results.

In the cartoon at hand, the opponents of the Patriot Act are telling the military/government that they believe the act is unnecessary to the war on terror. However, the cartoonist argues (through his picture) the Patriot Act is a major weapon in that war and taking it away would cripple our defenses.

There's nothing in the cartoon to really suggest that the opponents actually want Al Quaeda to win, simply that their efforts, however well intentioned are taking away a valuable weapon in the war on terror.

Understood, but I still disagree with the cartoon's stance and feel that it misrepresents the viewpoint of PA critics, for many of the same reasons I stated above (I'm sure you realize my critique from my last post were aimed at the cartoon and not at you.) I and other critics of the Patriot Act believe that it needs fixing and revising to protect civil liberties, and there should be some sort of oversight to prevent abuse. But a good number of us anti-PAers don't think it needs to see it scrapped, which is what the cartoonist seems to think we want.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script