Yeah, that's no surprise, really. Tennant has stated numerous times that his Doctor when he was growing up was Davison. Hell, he even wears the tennis shoes, as such. Davison even visited the set of The Christmas Invasion to wish him good luck.

As far as the whole weaker aspect, I certainly understand that. It's hard to accept such drastic change between Doctors. Davison was a great Doctor. However, when you set him up against Baker, he'll always appear weaker. Same with Tennant and Eccleston.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not that super-keen on Tennant, myself. He plays the part in ways that I've never enjoyed from other incarnations. However, as with all Docs, I can't say that he's "bad". He's just different. Coming right after Eccleston...and with Chris leaving us still wanting more....it's almost impossible for ANYone to compare.

I, too, look forward to future Docs. Still, it doesn't keep me from enjoying most of the episodes, and the Doc himself.

Again, I implore you, watch the two-part season finale. It's worth it for many reasons, if nothing else to see Tennant's emotional range expand a bit. Thinks get dark...