I'm sorry Peter. My heart's not in this.

Dear Peter,

In the true spirit of these boards, I really wanted to give you a good challenging fight, with plenty of name-calling and hair-pulling. Something that people would occasionally reminisce about in future threads.

Unfortunately the older I become, the harder I find it to hate anyone. I have been to many awful places around the world and I have seen enough of this most negative of human emotions; the paucity of spirit that drives it and the great lengths people will go to sustain it.

I will never forget my visit to a school near Marib, in The Yemen Republic, where boys in their teens took their classes with their Kalashnikovs resting on their laps. This is the reality of petty tribal feuding. At the beginning of their English lesson the teacher instructed his pupils to place their weapons in safety mode.

Knowledge dilutes hate. I now know a great deal about you. Too much to continue with our battle, entertaing as it has been.

I am afraid that you will have to go back to tormenting Rex or Chris Oakley. Or you could try hanging up your guns for a while, life being short and there only being 24 hours in a day.