Quote:
wannabuyamonkey said:
I just recently got ahold of the digest size "Secret of the Swamp Thing" collecting issues 1-10 of the first run of Swampy.

I've seen the SECRET OF THE SWAMP THING digest edition you mention...

...which I think is actually as nice or nicer than the SWAMP THING: DARK GENESIS trade I have the series printed in ($20.00) at half the price in digest size (10.00)

This Len Wein/Berni Wrightson run on SWAMP THING is one of my all-time favorite series.
I enjoy this run even more than the later Alan Moore/Bissette/Tottleben run (1983-1987)

By odd coincidence, I just finished reading my trade edition a week ago, a few days before I saw the SWAMP THING digest.

I own the Wein/Wrightson run in virtually every form that it's been printed in:

• The original 10 issues (1972-1974):

Reprinted in DC SPECIAL SERIES issues :

2 (1977, r issues 1 & 2 of the original 1972 series),
    14 (1978, r issues 3 & 4),
    17 (1979, r issues 5, 6 & 7),
    and 20 (1980, r issues 8, 9 and 10),
    the first two reprint issues have beautiful new wraparound covers by Wrightson.

ROOTS OF THE SWAMP THING, 5-issue reprint series:

(1986), the first reprinting of the Wein/Wrightson series using better reproduction and paper (-vs- newsprint) , and
    also collects some great Wrightson splash pages and short stories from HOUSE OF MYSTERY. Reprinting two issues each of the original series.

And the first edition of SWAMP THING: DARK GENESIS collected trade of issues 1-10.
    (Second edition of tpb shown)
    Shortly after this edition came out (1991), Wrightson appeared at Tropic Comics in Fort Lauderdale for a book signing (Dec 1995), so I got an opportunity to meet Wrightson and tell him how much I've enjoyed his work, and how often I've re-read these 10 issues. Which he seemed very appreciative of.
    A remarkably approachable, friendly and unpretentious guy, especially considering his virtual godhood in the comic book industry.

But I like the digest too, so I might pick that up as well.

Other series I've been collecting recently:
  • CAVEWOMAN by Bud Root (back issues are hard to find at retailers. You can purchase them directly at:

www.amryl.com

Filling the last gaps in my Roy Thomas/Barry Smith/John Buscema CONAN THE BARBARIAN run.
    I now have a complete run of issues 1-190, and will re-read them next.

I'm currently re-reading my Bruce Jones/Brent Anderson/Ron Frenz/Armando Gil run of KA-ZAR 1-34 (1981-1984).
    It's as good as I remember: humor, adventure, and steamy soap-opera romance mixed with Edgar Rice Burroughs-brand adventure, with some incredibly wild twists.

--------------------

"This Man, This Wonder Boy..."