Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#597352 2005-11-22 8:41 AM
LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
...because I've been diagnosed with diabetes-type 2. I'm sure this isn't surprising to the majority of you as you've all been so kind about joking about my weight for the last few years. If only I've listened to you! I first learned of the possibility of diabetes about three weeks ago and it was confirmed last Wednesday. I've gone through rage, anger, self-pity, and (mostly) fear. This past Sunday I had some episode that completely knocked the sails out of me. My starvation button got kicked on while I was out driving around and where I normally just get the shakes that is easily remedied by eating I was also nauseated, sweating, and just plain felt like shit! I did eat some white castles (it was something quick!) and felt somewhat less shakey and nauseated after eating but still felt like complete shit. It would last for a few hours and I really didn't feel better until the next day. Whether this has anything to do with the diabetes or not is up in the air. My wife thinks not while I think maybe. I'll have to remember to ask the Doctor when I see him Monday. Sometime in December I go to the local hospital for diabetes class. Right now my wife and I are treating this as a wake up call. I've stopped drinking regular pop and watching what I eat and when I eat and how much I eat and have already lost about 18 lbs. I've yet to start excersizing but I'm going to have to start soon if I want to control the diabetes. My wife got the test kit today so I can check on my blood sugar hence the title of this topic. Any body else have any insight on diabetes I would love for them to put their thoughts down here for me. I thank you in advance for any comments. Anyway if all goes well I'll be losing a bunch of weight and getting into shape in the next few months! I'll be sure to have Franta take a good pic of me at next year's NatureBoyCon so you all can see how (hopefully) successful I've been. My advice to all of you out there right now is to watch what you eat and don't allow yourself to become inactive so you don't ever have to live through this disease. It's scary to think of losing body parts through amputation or going blind because of diabetes. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. God bless!

Last edited by LLance; 2005-11-22 8:44 AM.

-----once over and twice twisted---------
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Larry, if it makes you feel better, I've known people who have taken the weight off and it is as if they never had the diabetes in the first place.

It sounds like you're well on your way to beating this.

Good luck.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Good Luck Dude!

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Good luck LLance, I know you're strong enough to make it through, and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.

Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
My father has this. He's nowhere near as motivated as you are, and will most likely kill himself.

Good luck with your efforts, eh?

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Best of luck to you, Llance. We're all rooting for ya!

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
My thoughts are with you, man. Take care of yourself and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

We all wear a green carnation.
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Tabarnak!
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

You say that as if it were a future event....

If karma's a bitch, it will be my bitch!
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
kung-fu treachery
5000+ posts
Good luck to ya LLance!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Sorry to hear about your bad news. It sounds like you've got a great attitude about it and tremendous support from your wife. Those ae very important things to have when living with illness.

Are you working with a nutritionist yet?

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
As someone who has shared a car, convention and house with you (thanks Frantycakes!), I say only this:

Luck is for wimps. Just do it!

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
Good luck LLance, I know you're strong enough to make it through, and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.

My wife would like to convey a strong emphasis on the SEXIER LLance!

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
My thoughts are with you, man. Take care of yourself and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

This is a first on these boards! Someone has alluded to me as being "old" at a future period of time! I could kiss you Jim Jackson!

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Larry, if it makes you feel better, I've known people who have taken the weight off and it is as if they never had the diabetes in the first place.

It sounds like you're well on your way to beating this.

Good luck.

Day two and the numbers looked very good! My wife gave me a big hug and we are confident that this is no more than a wake up call that will actually improve my long term health! I will keep things updated as time goes on and I hope to have a very slim LLance glaring at everyone at this year's NatureBoyCon!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Um ......Jim is gay Llance.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

theory9 said:
As someone who has shared a car, convention and house with you (thanks Frantycakes!), I say only this:

Luck is for wimps. Just do it!

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments but I definitely agree with my man Theo! Just do it! That's the only course of action really available that makes sense!

I am appalled that Theo didn't mention the night he tried to share a bed with me though...

Last edited by LLance; 2005-11-22 10:04 PM.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:

You mean Llance isn't?

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

klinton said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
and you can live to be a crotchety old LLance.

You say that as if it were a future event....

...wishfull thinking? I think NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
You can do it LLance. My dad has it and, while we got him a gym membership and he goes, he's not as concerned about it as we would like. So get that weight off so we can have a new sexy LLance-sleeping-in-what-looks-to-possibly-be-a-childs-bed picture.

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

PJP said:

I knew Jim is gay but I must ask the question...Can't a heterosexual man kiss a homosexual man w/o it having a sexual connotation? Not that we would ever kiss but come on people men kiss each other in Europe w/o sexual thoughts as an everyday occurance. It's here in America where everyone thinks two men kissing is an automatic homosexual act!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
My understanding is that if you take care of yourself you'll do just fine. From reading your post, I see that you have started doing just that, so I know you're going to be all right.

<sub>Will Eisner's last work - The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
RDCW Profile

"Well, as it happens, I wrote the damned SOP," Illescue half snarled, "and as of now, you can bar those jackals from any part of this facility until Hell's a hockey rink! Is that perfectly clear?!" - Dr. Franz Illescue - Honor Harrington: At All Costs

"I don't know what I'm do, or how I do, I just do." - Alexander Ovechkin</sub>
LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Doog said:
You can do it LLance. My dad has it and, while we got him a gym membership and he goes, he's not as concerned about it as we would like. So get that weight off so we can have a new sexy LLance-sleeping-in-what-looks-to-possibly-be-a-childs-bed picture.

Good luck to your Dad but at this early stage of the game I have to agree attitude is everything! I have quite a bit of changing to do with my old lifestyle but I'm confident I'll emerge a better person all around for my efforts!

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

I knew Jim is gay but I must ask the question...Can't a heterosexual man kiss a homosexual man w/o it having a sexual connotation? Not that we would ever kiss but come on people men kiss each other in Europe w/o sexual thoughts as an everyday occurance. It's here in America where everyone thinks two men kissing is an automatic homosexual act!

Nope--just you and Jim.

...you tell stories, we tell lies.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

PenWing said:
My understanding is that if you take care of yourself you'll do just fine. From reading your post, I see that you have started doing just that, so I know you're going to be all right.

Yes that's right. I don't have it, nor do any family members. But I have 2 friends, my age, that have it. Both were diagnosed in recent years. One friend just found out this year, she doesn't know the cause, but suspects it might be related to having her galbladder removed. She also has an under active thiroid, which may be what's causing the diabetes.

As I said, no one knows the cause of the diabetes, but she's gone through the class, has the kit, etc. She lost a lot of weight in the first weeks of being on her new medication. A result of her body getting used to the stuff. I don't remember off hand how much she's lost though. But I saw her on Saturday and she looked good. Now granted, the last time I had seen her (last year) she had been loosing weight, but not like she has since her diagnosis and all.

Since she has both she has to be even more careful with her diet. But since this is something she's got under control now, she can let her diet slide once in awhile. She just needs to catch herself up afterwards.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Quote:

Im Not Mister Mxypltk said:
and come out as a brand new, better and improved, sexier LLance.

Can he even get any sexier?

Really though LLance, you can do it. The Hell with anyone who tells you different.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
I have to agree it would be hard for me to be any damn sexier as well MrJLA but I'm going to give it a damn good try!

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Down to 255 lbs. for a total of about 20 lbs. in 3 weeks!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Yeah, that sounds like the amount of weight my friend was loosing at first.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

It's not, don't sweat it. A kiss can have no sexual connotation.

But if the kiss is on the lips and lingers, you must buy me dinner.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Dammit, Jim, poor Larry is on a diet and you're trying to get the man to take you out on a dinner date.

Just once, put aside those dark man lusts that consume you people and think of someone as something other than a potential sex partner/buggery victim.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim, poor Larry is on a diet and you're trying to get the man to take you out on a dinner date.

I was simply laying out the rules. I never told him to kiss me on the lips or to make said kiss linger. I just read him the rules.

Quote:

Just once, put aside those dark man lusts that consume you people and think of someone as something other than a potential sex partner/buggery victim.

As soon as you ambulance chasers stop looking at everybody as a potential client.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Then again, Llance and JJ smooching would most likely induce vomiting for all nearby parties, as well as the two in question, so... another weight-loss technique??

Best of luck, Llance.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:

G-man that's a biggoted remark about homosexuals made to a homosexual person.
I've avoided this thread because I don't really know Llance and didn't want to insult him by making some joke since I know he's going through something rough and is actually here to read what is said.

But you, as a moderator, should refrain from such venomous and hateful remarks.

Bow ties are coool.
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Dammit, Jim

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
LLance, you're a good man. I know you and your family have been through a lot of heavy stuff lately. but we all care about you and we're all pulling for you. You can do it, buddy.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
Best of luck, Llance.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Thanks for the well wishes everybody and thanks to r3x29yz4a for coming to my defense and taking a moment to consider that I may have a lot on my plate now. It's okay though...if someone wasn't making something out of nothing then this wouldn't be the message board we've all come to love so dearly. To be honest I was expecting a lot of "You dumbass! You've ate yourself into a diabetic funk and now you've come crying to us!" So don't be too hard on the G-Man...he's just easing the tension a bit!

LLance Offline OP
6000+ posts
OP Offline
6000+ posts
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

LLance said:
Quote:

PJP said:

It's not, don't sweat it. A kiss can have no sexual connotation.

But if the kiss is on the lips and lingers, you must buy me dinner.

Oy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard