Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Darknight613 said:
I don't know why people assume we're bothered by Christmas. We're not.

I'd guess because of people like this:

The sign at McDonald's on the corner of Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest Road reads: "Merry Christmas, Jesus is the Reason for the Season." It is a holiday message that Amanda Alpert thinks comes on a little too strongly.

"It offends me because it specifically talks about Jesus, Merry Christmas. It doesn't give credit to anyone else," Alpert said.

Alpert called the McDonald's corporate office in Atlanta and requested that the sign be changed to the politically correct Happy Holidays.

"I care because I'm Jewish, and the reason for the season is upsetting to me," Alpert said.

I'm not saying she's representative, but the publicity she draws doesn't help the perception.

No, it doesn't. Although griping about a Jesus message isn't quite the same as griping about someone saying "Merry Christmas" to you or seeing a Christmas display. It may come off as prosyletizing to some people, which is something we have an issue with (I'm sure you recall my "we don't have a problem as long as nobody's trying to convert us" comment). I don't personally consider this to be a conversion attempt, but there will be people who might see it as such.

(I left comments about this on the other thread, which I'm about to edit after thinking them over.)

Still, it would be ignorant for anyone to say that one Jew represents the opinion of every Jew, since we never agree on anything (from experience, I've learned the phrase "Two Jews, Three Opinions" is very true.)

Last edited by Darknight613; 2005-12-15 11:54 PM.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script