Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40
notnotnotnotnotnotnotwedge
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Random fact: The mothers of both Q's and Worf's sons were played by the same woman.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Suzie Plakson. Very good, NW.... were I not so tired, I would have noted that.. I meant to. Forgot to.

I like her. She was fantastic as Keh' Lar.

"I offer you a Vulcan prayer, Mr Suder. May your

death bring you the peace you never found in

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
For fun, the most Useless cast members:

George Takei bugs me. He spends all his time bitching about how Shatner upstaged him and how great Sulu was as a captain when Shatner was the star and he was basically hired to be Asian (to show all races working together). The Original series was really the Kirk/Spock Adventure Hour. They were the stars, Sulu had no development because he was a glorified extra (along with the rest of the cast) and, unlike Shatner, he has never shown himself capable of playing any other character.

She was hot (and still is) but her character just stated the obvious and cried a lot (seriously, how many times was she mentally attacked and broke down crying). I did like her more after "Disaster" when she started taking command roles and wore a real uniform. But still, ultimately useless.

Of everyone I'm listing, Jake is the one I like the most. He had some good episodes, I liked him and Nog together, but after the Dominion stories started Jake stopped being necessary and faded into the background. Aside from a few (albeit great) episodes that focused on him in years 4-7 he was useless.

I hate Neelix. He dragged the show into "cutesy."

Good actor, nothing really wrong with the character, they just never had anything real for him to do other than set a course and say "aye sir." Hoshi also got screwed on screentime, but as the only translator on board, she had an interesting function.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I tend to agree with you on those choices, Karl. Several of those listed were "Obligatory Minority Characters" at best, with personalities that were fundamentally undeveloped.

" Kirk/Spock Adventure Hour " is a very appropriate title for TOS.

Neelix was enough to make a diabetic ill, but I kinda like him.

Jake is indeed the best of the lot that you mentioned.

Enterprise is on tomorrow, I plan to tape it.

Is that MXC show on Spike just for February, or is it to be on every Friday? That will slow down my taping of DS9 dramatically if it is a permanent show.

If it is not permanent, then I can have all the DS9 episodes by Thanksgiving, according to my calculations.

I bought the book version of " Far Beyond The Stars", as I cannot find the episode on VHS anywhere.. this fact attests to what a fantastic episode it is!

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I bought the book version of " Far Beyond The Stars", as I cannot find the episode on VHS anywhere.. this fact attests to what a fantastic episode it is!

they stopped the tapes around the 5th season as I recall, because that was when they started issuing the DVD sets. They did the tapes so slowly that they were only up to year 5 in 2003.

Bow ties are coool.
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
I'm not sure if you noticed, but they did show an episode of Voyager on Friday. It was the one where Voyager is infected by a "macrovirus". Basically, big floaty things go around the ship stabbing people with stingers and making them sick. Janeway and, of course, the Doctor are the only ones not infected. It's a pretty good episode and for some reason it always stood out to me that the story didn't need to be on a Star Trek show to work. It could have been an episode of the Outer Limits and worked pretty much just as well. To this day, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
I want to do a quick Enterprise review for you, Beardguy. I've been rewatching the show lately (a lot, like 70 episodes over the past month).

It's a good show. Better than most people say. Not great, but enjoyable enough and fun. The sense of exploration and adventure is fresh in this show. You see the first contact with so many races, you get humans who are inexperienced and a nice bridge between the present and the "perfect" starfleet of the other shows.
There's good humor and a sense that they're learning as they go.
I've read the Star Trek boards and the main complaint seems to be that Enterprise contradicted a line of dialogue here and there from later shows or that they seemed more advanced than TOS (of course they were 35 years later in terms of FX) or that they treated women differently (you can't have miniskirts on a starship post-1970's). Other than that, the continuity lines up perfectly with Star Trek post-TOS (even Roddenberry dismissed TOS when he did TNG).
You grow to like the characters and the rustic feel of the ship once you give it a few episodes.
It's far from perfect, DS9 is still better, but it's better than Voyager. And it's better than TOS, and it's better than DS9 or TNG were in their first few years.
A better production team and a clearer plan from the start (Temporal Cold War fizzled quickly) would've been made the show great, but as it was it was still pretty good.

Keep an eye on the Andorians, by year 4 you see that their overall arc of meeting new races and befriending them is the foundation of the Federation.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:

they stopped the tapes around the 5th season as I recall, because that was when they started issuing the DVD sets. They did the tapes so slowly that they were only up to year 5 in 2003.

Is cool, I'll tape " Far Beyond The Stars " when it comes up again on Spike tv later this year.. and thanks.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

notwedge said:
I'm not sure if you noticed, but they did show an episode of Voyager on Friday. It was the one where Voyager is infected by a "macrovirus". Basically, big floaty things go around the ship stabbing people with stingers and making them sick. Janeway and, of course, the Doctor are the only ones not infected. It's a pretty good episode and for some reason it always stood out to me that the story didn't need to be on a Star Trek show to work. It could have been an episode of the Outer Limits and worked pretty much just as well. To this day, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Damn! Missed that one.. but, it will be on again.. and thanks! I remember seeing it years ago when it first aired.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
I want to do a quick Enterprise review for you, Beardguy. I've been rewatching the show lately (a lot, like 70 episodes over the past month).

It's a good show. Better than most people say. Not great, but enjoyable enough and fun. The sense of exploration and adventure is fresh in this show. You see the first contact with so many races, you get humans who are inexperienced and a nice bridge between the present and the "perfect" starfleet of the other shows.
There's good humor and a sense that they're learning as they go.
I've read the Star Trek boards and the main complaint seems to be that Enterprise contradicted a line of dialogue here and there from later shows or that they seemed more advanced than TOS (of course they were 35 years later in terms of FX) or that they treated women differently (you can't have miniskirts on a starship post-1970's). Other than that, the continuity lines up perfectly with Star Trek post-TOS (even Roddenberry dismissed TOS when he did TNG).
You grow to like the characters and the rustic feel of the ship once you give it a few episodes.
It's far from perfect, DS9 is still better, but it's better than Voyager. And it's better than TOS, and it's better than DS9 or TNG were in their first few years.
A better production team and a clearer plan from the start (Temporal Cold War fizzled quickly) would've been made the show great, but as it was it was still pretty good.

Keep an eye on the Andorians, by year 4 you see that their overall arc of meeting new races and befriending them is the foundation of the Federation.

That's a terrific review of Enterprise, Karl, thanks! I will be watching ( And taping ) the show tomorrow night!

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
DS9 - it was some episode with an aging Klingon, I think he had Alzhiemer's or something? I was on the phone and missed most of it...

Next Generation : " Menage A Troi " - This is a VERY good one!

Ethan Philips, who played Neelix on Voyager guest Stars as a Ferengi.... His Ferengi boss is in love with Deanna's mother, and wants to use her telepathic abilities for profit.

Picard must profess his undying love for Loxwana Troi to save her.. that part is funny as hell!

" Transfigurations " is next, I love this one! Enterprise crew finds a lone survivor of a crash; the man heals at a remarkable rate, but is suffering " energy pulses " and this is the harbinger of an amazing transformation to come!

life." - Tuvok.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
I agree pretty much exactly with what Ray said. The tragedy is, ENT's Season 3 & 4 really showed exactly where this show could go if they had just been willing to give it more time.

I wonder if, like TOS, Enterprise could experience a return within about a decade? It's the only other Trek to get canned so early...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I agree pretty much exactly with what Ray said. The tragedy is, ENT's Season 3 & 4 really showed exactly where this show could go if they had just been willing to give it more time.

I wonder if, like TOS, Enterprise could experience a return within about a decade? It's the only other Trek to get canned so early...

I'm rather hoping for a return of Enterprise, myself!

A true shame they cancelled it. I guess they weren't able to sell enough Tampons and Three Musketeers bars at commercial time due to low ratings....

life." - Tuvok.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Only is anal Star Trek fans can get over their offense at someone before Kirk and show support that TOS fans did in the 1970's then it could gain a new audience and come back. But fans have been so divided on it, no one watches and no one wants to go near watching it.

Bow ties are coool.
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I caught a couple of minutes of TOS Trek with the redone SFX. The episode was "The Doomsday Machine" and I wanted to hang on long enough to see how they redid the giant space turd with a shiny center.Now they did do a good job on making the "Constellation" look pretty beat up with more than a crooked nacelle like the original FX had it,but when the turd showed up,it was still a turd.I turned the channel.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Yeah, sometimes nostalgia and historical respect can go a little extreme. Sometimes, it's okay to make a turd look completely unlike a turd. That would be cool.

And, until one of those Spock-ear-wearing virgins can point out to me the exact line that stated that James T. Kirk was the first man in space, fuck them all. In many places, Enterprise outshined TOS by leaps and bounds...

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
First one was dumb; Neelix got into trouble. Yawn.

Second one was good : A holo-character appears to be out of control.. she is created to be Ensign Kim's girlfriend, but she becomes obssessed with Tuvok instead.

Voyager crew figure out that it is actually a woman from a nearby ship who is very lonely. After demanding that Tuvok stay with her or Voyager will be destroyed, he convinces her that love is not about forcing people to do what you want.. that may sound very simple to you, but many can't seem to grasp that one.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I almost forgot about the show again! I did start taping it at 9, so, I'll get 2 episodes, at least...

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I missed most of DS9 today, but I saw a battle between the Dominion and Federation. It was to show how senseless war is.

I got the point many years ago. Good episode.

Next Generation : Best Of Both Words prts 1 & 2.

The long awaited battle with the Borg. Excellent!

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
"CODA "

Captain Janeway repeatedly dies after she and Chakotay crash into a planet in what appears to be a time loop. Soon, her deceased father appears and tells her that she is dead and must accept her situation and move on.

'' BLOOD FEVER ''

Ensign Vorik expresses his desire to mate with B'Elanna during his Pon-Farr. After they get in a brawl over the matter, Torres begins showing signs of the Pon-Farr herself.

Both are pretty good.

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I missed DS9, and taped it.

Next Generation :

I saw only a few minutes of "Family" before I had to go out on an errand, and only saw the last 15 minutes of " Brothers."

Both are excellent 4 th season episodes.

Voyager :

" Unity " is on now..this is one of my all time Voyager faves. Chakotay discovers a planet of Ex Borgs. Chakotay is given something more to do for a change than to bark orders on the bridge during cosmic storms.
This is, of course, the prelude to " Scorpion".

This is an excellent one!

life." - Tuvok.

2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Great DS9 today. Dukat started a Pah Wraith cult on Empok Nor. He tried to get Kira to join (with, of course, no success). It becomes clear that he fathered a child with a married woman so he tries to get the cult members to commit suicide and they figure out he wasn't going to do it himself when the suicide pills get mixed up (the one he was going to take was a fake). But even in the end if Dukat was really trying to manipulate people, if he really believed what he was preaching or if he's just gone crazy (of course, more than one could be true at the same time). A whole episode that featured a "villain" and only one member of the main cast (and she was basically in a supporting role). Shows just how strong the supporting cast was on the show.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Saw "Skin of Evil" yesterday and will see "We'll always have Paris" in about one hour.

Apart from ST:TNG I've started to watch Stargate: SG1. It's quite good, Richard Dean Anderson ("MacGyver") plays the leader of the team, and the ethos is similar to Star Trek. The science is pretty believable, which makes it good SF IMHO. One problem is that seems that at least one series as taken place before this one, which sucks 'cause I haven't seen it.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Saw "Skin of Evil" yesterday and will see "We'll always have Paris" in about one hour.

Apart from ST:TNG I've started to watch Stargate: SG1. It's quite good, Richard Dean Anderson ("MacGyver") plays the leader of the team, and the ethos is similar to Star Trek. The science is pretty believable, which makes it good SF IMHO. One problem is that seems that at least one series as taken place before this one, which sucks 'cause I haven't seen it.

I love Stargate SG-1. It gets better as it goes on, they really strive to keep it fresh, and it still is even in year 10.

Bow ties are coool.
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Yup it looks that way.

Stargate Atlantis will begin this Mars. I don't think Anderson will be in it but I'll give it a try.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I do not know.. I am not into Battlestar Gallactica.

It's like a mix of Star Trek, Lost in Space, Terminator and Bladerunner. Not as good as either of those, but okay. Some people like it better than ST, maybe because it's darker (the new version that is, haven't seen the one from the 70's).

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

notwedge said:
Great DS9 today. Dukat started a Pah Wraith cult on Empok Nor. He tried to get Kira to join (with, of course, no success). It becomes clear that he fathered a child with a married woman so he tries to get the cult members to commit suicide and they figure out he wasn't going to do it himself when the suicide pills get mixed up (the one he was going to take was a fake). But even in the end if Dukat was really trying to manipulate people, if he really believed what he was preaching or if he's just gone crazy (of course, more than one could be true at the same time). A whole episode that featured a "villain" and only one member of the main cast (and she was basically in a supporting role). Shows just how strong the supporting cast was on the show.

Thanks, NotWedge. I've been way busier than usual lately and wasn't able to watch that one. Fortunately, I taped it and will watch it later. It sounds like a great episode, too!

life." - Tuvok.

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Yup it looks that way.

Stargate Atlantis will begin this Mars. I don't think Anderson will be in it but I'll give it a try.

Marz=March...I'm guessing that means March???

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Yup it looks that way.

They've actually aired all of season 3 and most of season 10 in canada and england so you can get them on bittorrent. Without spoiling Anderson is in the conclusion to the cliffhanger, and he gets to have some action.
Anderson is also in a pretty good episode of SG-1 that revolves around Daniel and the Ori.

Bow ties are coool.
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I did see today's episode... a VERY good one!

Nog isolates himself in the holodeck, with that night club program running 26 hours a day.

I forget the name of the holo - singer, he finally kick Nog out of the holo - program after Nog picks a fight with Jake Sisko, his best friend while the singer is in the middle of a performance.

Nog gets the singer back, who then tells Nog he just can't come back and stay...and Nog then confesses that he's frightened of going back to active duty... where he might be hurt again... or killed.

Nog decides to confront his fear and is soon back to active duty, albiet only a few hoursa day at first.

EXCELLENT episode!

Next Generation : " Suddenly Human " was on, but I missed most of it.. I really don't care for the episode.

"Remember Me " - This is one of my favorites from season Four. Dr. Crusher is on the Enterprise, and crew members keep disappearing.

She soon realizes it is due to her being trapped in Wesley's experiment - a static warp bubble.

Wesley enlists the aid of the Traveler, who makes his second of what is to be 3 appearances in the series.

Dr. Crusher is saved by Wesley, who again proves that there is much more to him than previously thought.

Excellent episode!

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
" Rise " - this is in the Voyager top twenty best episodes.

A planet faces a meteor bombardment. Voyager tries to help but the meteors are ultra dense and do not shatter completely, even after being hit with a photon torpedo.

Tuvok and Neelix go down to help evacuate survivors - They get 4 people into an elevator that rises on a many mile high teather, capable of rising over the planet's ionsphere, which is what is keeping Voyager from beaming them to safety.

Tuvok keeps riding Neelix, being sarcastic and all, and then, when one of the 4 passengers with them dies from a poisonous substance in his drinking water, Neelix hears the man as he is dying say that there is something on the roof of the elevator that he needs.. on a hunch, he asks Tuvok to stop the elevator... Tuvok says NO... so, since Neelix is the only one who knows how to operate the elevator, he stops it... Tuvok finally agrees to go up on top and investigate.. he finds tactical info on an enemy space ship..the ship that is causing the meteors to hit the planet on purpose.

The bad guy.. an ambassador..who is really a spy.. goes on top of the elevator and knocks Tuvok, who is waek from the very thin atmosphere off it...

He goes back in and knocks Neelix off a ladder as he is trying to rescue Tuvok; Neelix is unconscious and badly hurt.

Neelix comes to and manages to open the airlock, allowing Tuvok to re - enter. A fight ensues; the spy is kocked towards the open hatch and sucked out back onto the planet.... several miles below!

Voyager is able to beam the survivors onto the ship, Neelix is healed.

Tuvok later thanks Neelix for saving him, and they have an argument, albiet a friendly one.

This is an excellent episode.

The one after : " Favorite Son. "

Ensign Kim is tricked into believing he is actually from a planet the ship encounters. It is really a trick to get his life essence and dna so that the all woman race can breed.

This one was so bad, it would have been bad if it was a sci fi movie released in 1953!

life." - Tuvok.

I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Well, that MXC show wiped out almost all of Star Trek today, except one of the BEST ever Voyager episodes:

" Before and After " -

Kes begins traveling backwards through time from the moment of her death. With each shift, she comes closer to a solution but she also grows months and years younger at a time.

This is perhaps THE best Kes episode.. not that there were many of those.

It is the precursor to " Year Of Hell ", a fantastic 2 parter which is mentioned in " Before and After ", and will air soon, as it is in the 4 th season. This is one of the best Voyager eps, as well.

life." - Tuvok.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Yup it looks that way.

Marz=March...I'm guessing that means March???

Yes. Please excuse my Swenglish.

Or I'll pillage your village.

Last edited by Captain Sweden; 2007-02-17 11:21 PM.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Yup it looks that way.

They've actually aired all of season 3 and most of season 10 in canada and england so you can get them on bittorrent. Without spoiling Anderson is in the conclusion to the cliffhanger, and he gets to have some action.
Anderson is also in a pretty good episode of SG-1 that revolves around Daniel and the Ori.

Oh, than I must follow Atlantis then!

I checked Wikipedia and saw that the 1st Stargate adventure was in feature film, guess I'll have to find the DVD!

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Quote:

Karl Hungus said:
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Yup it looks that way.

Oh, than I must follow Atlantis then!

I checked Wikipedia and saw that the 1st Stargate adventure was in feature film, guess I'll have to find the DVD!

Yeah the film is decent, but not as good as the show. but still worth a watch. the tv show picks up a year later with recast actors and continues the story (slightly altering it to be a show rather than a one time finite movie).

Bow ties are coool.
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Kurt Russel played Jack O'Neill in the movie. He's an OK actor, I like "The Thing" a lot.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Saw 'Conspiracy' this Friday, will see 'The Neutral Zone' next Monday, ending Season 1. Then I won't continue to tape ST:TNG, since I'll need the tapes when the same channel will start showing Bruce Lee movies.

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
I walk in eternity
15000+ posts
Quote:

Captain Sweden said:
Saw 'Conspiracy' this Friday, will see 'The Neutral Zone' next Monday, ending Season 1. Then I won't continue to tape ST:TNG, since I'll need the tapes when the same channel will start showing Bruce Lee movies.

Do you have all 178 episodes of Next Generation, Captain Sweden? I have 'em, and am taping Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise, currently.

life." - Tuvok.

Beardguy57 #653124 2007-02-18 11:25 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

funny skit from about 20 years ago. love the shoving match Shatner and Hartman get into.

From the Mind Meld movie, which is basically Shatner and Nimoy musing about their lives and Star Trek.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Lets talk about a real sci-fi show. How about Lost in Space?

Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40

Link Copied to Clipboard