Quote:

Beardguy57 said:
I worry that, because he is black, Obama will be scrutinized more so than a white presidential candidate.

At first, I thought he ought not to have admitted he did drugs, but at least this way, it is not a skeleton in his closet anymore.

But honesty is not always a good thing in politics....

You mean... the way Colin Powell was during his almost two decades since he became a public figure during the 1991 Gulf War?
The way Colin Powell was shot down by scrutiny to the point that he has consistently been shown in polls to be the presidential choice of the American public in every election since 1992, if he would only run? ( A nation that is 13% black, and 87% anti-black racists, who would oddly pick Colin Powell overwhelmingly ?)

The way Clarence Thomas was obstructed from the Supreme Court? The way Thurgood Marshall was before him ? (Except they both became Justices.)

The way Ralph Bunch was prevented from becoming the first U.S. ambassador to the U.N. ? (Except he was the first ambassador.)

The way Condolleeza Rice was prevented from becoming National Security Advisor, and Secretary of State ? (Except she's still there.)

My point is, let's stick to examples of true racism, and keep them separate from wild speculation of racist conspiracies to keep the black man down.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, if there's talk of racism, the best statistics show the hostility and violence of blacks toward whites, at a ratio of about 50 incidents to 1, against whites. Not the other way around.

I could make the same argument about alleged racism toward Jews, Hispanics, Asians, etc.
To speculate against the true facts is just pointlessly divisive. There have been plenty of prominent figures, in all these racial groups, who have enjoyed wide popularity among the oh-so-racist American public.