Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
It has never been the most popular of genres, hence the big risk when Lucas and TCF released Star Wars.

Because, at the time, Sci-fi was not a viable genre. Just like Westerns weren't big box office winners in the 90's with few exceptions. Then, they became very popular and made money.

What then happens is every other studio piggy backs off that success until everyone realises that they dont like sci-fi that much!

They don't like Sci-fi, or they don't like the Sci-fi they're getting.

The music thing about metal/rock does not hold up.
Since the early 70s, whether it be old school metal, glam, punk, emo or nu-metal, there has always been a strong prescence in the media.

So why did hair metal die off the 90's and get replaced by Grunge? Why aren't all metal bands instant hits and millionaires the second they release an album?

Sci-Fi films as a medium has always been hit or miss, which is why a film like T2 (remember the original was only a cult hit, not a huge success) is not marketed as sci-fi, but marketed as an action movie!

Actually, The Terminator was a blockbuster hit. Roughly a seven million dollar budget and almost forty million in domestic box office returns for 1984. Anything with robots fighting, especially one made of liquid metal (a big part of the marketing campaign) is going to undoubtedly register as science fiction in any viewer's mind even if crosses genres into action.

Its widely aknowledged that sci-fi tends to be a cult genre.

Did Minority report or I-Robot succeed because of what they were or who was in it?

Is Transformers marketed as a sci-fi movie or is it marketed as a toy spin off?

I agree that shows like Babylon 5 and Stargate SG-1 tend to create a cult frenzy about it. That still does not mean that people outside of these Spock dressed masses don't watch these shows either. I've know many people who are, by far, not Sci-fi nerds or tend to grab onto a show just because it's Sci-fi who have enjoyed Star Trek, Stargate, and Farscape. It's not a genre shunned by the public. It's one that accepted and followed when the material is good, just like any other genre. And those movies succeeded because of the same reason that most Hollywood movies succeeded. Sci-fi is, once again, no different than any other genre or movie.

And I'd like to repeat that when you have robots fighting, especially if they're giant alien robots that turn into cars and jets, the concept of science fiction immediately pops into people's heads.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."