I compare this to stealing signs in baseball. Everyone does it but it isn't always caught. There's just no way to prove that the Patriots actually benefited from their actions so IMO you can't forfeit the game. If the Jets lost only 1 game and that was to the Patriots that's one thing. But that isn't the case. I remember when the Jets won a game against the Seahawks when Vinny Testaverde did a goal line plunge to score a TD. Replays showed he didn't make it but the refs gave it to him, later saying that they mistook his helmet for the ball. Incredibly lame excuse but that's what they said. But the game was done and the Seahawks were eliminated from the playoffs and coach Dennis Erickson lost his job. But the game was over. You live with the result. That's what we have here.

I do think Belichik should be suspended and anyone involved should be fined and/or suspended. Taking a draft pick away does't do a lot to the Patriots because they have two first round picks and three third rounders. Now their second and their first third rounder go up a pick. I'm betting the commisioner knew this too when he made his decision. Suspend Belichik for a month and be done with it.

Last edited by jafabian; 2007-09-16 6:11 AM. Reason: Additional info

"You kind of get tired giving the other team credit. At some point you've got to look in the mirror and say 'I sucked.'"

Alex Rodriguez, after the NY Yankees were eliminated from the 2006 ALDS by the Detroit Tigers.