Originally Posted By: MEM
I think it's a silly notion that anyone should feel they need to step aside to let someone else win. This is for the most important job in the world & Obama isn't going to get a free pass from the Clintons. He sure as hell isn't going to get one from the GOP either when/if it comes time.

Besides having a woman president would also be progressive. I couldn't even make a judgement as to which would be more, could you?

I'm just sayin', I've heard several liberals make the argument, and more persuasively than I paraphrased it, not recalling the exact phrasing.

There are many firsts in this election:

Barack Obama: first viable black candidate (honorable mention to Alan Keyes and Jesse Jackson, and possibly Colin Powell).

Hillary Clinton: first viable woman candidate (honorable mention to Elizabeth Dole, and Geraldine Ferraro).

John McCain: oldest man to ever run for office

Mitt Romney: first Mormon to run for president

Mike Huckabee: first baptist minister, and first blue-collar republican in a long time.

Ron Paul: first viable republican to run on independent-candidate issues

John Edwards: first Democrat to basically run as an independent candidate.

I'm kind of pushing it with a few of these. But there's no doubt that these are some radically different candidates this year. None of them are flawless, but it's certainly an interesting race.