Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

There are many firsts in this election:

Barack Obama: first viable black candidate (honorable mention to Alan Keyes and Jesse Jackson, and possibly Colin Powell).

Alan Keyes and Jesse Jackson were never "viable." And Colin Powell never even explored the idea of running, his wife wouldn't let him.

Polls in 1992, 1996 and 2000 showed that if Powell wanted to run, he out-polled anyone, Democrat or Republican. That to me was the turning point, where a majority of Americans (polled in three different election years!) would have elected Powell as our first black president, if he wanted the job.

As G-man explained above, Jesse Jackson was far more viable than you give him credit for. At this point, he has still won more primaries than Obama or Hillary. And if not for a back-room deal, he might have obstructed or weakened Dukakis' nomination in 1988. There was a moment during Dukakis' nomination acceptance speech where Dukakis verbally reached out to Jackson at the DNC convention, and the TV cameras preserved a long, intimidating angry stare at Dukakis fro about a minute or so.

I mention Alan Keyes because he's run in at least 4 elections I can recall, and is an impressively intelligent and insightful black American who at least has the freedom to run for the presidency. He participates in debates and widens the discussion in those debates. Which I think earns him considerable recognition, even if he hasn't had wide support.
But I concede, as you say, that he isn't "viable" in the sense that he has a high probability of getting elected. But in being a qualified and well-versed black American who is at least qualified to run (something I never gave Jesse Jackson credit for), I think the mere fact that he runs and is competent to run, is noteworthy.

Originally Posted By: Ray

Originally Posted By: WB
Hillary Clinton: first viable woman candidate (honorable mention to Elizabeth Dole, and Geraldine Ferraro).

Again, those other two weren't "viable" as President. And Ferraro ran for Vice President

Ferraro was viable as Vice President. During a good portion of the 1988 election, Dukakis was 20 points ahead, and Ferraro was part of the ticket that polled that high. Ultimately she wasn't elected, but she was arguably electable, if election day was before the tide turned in November 1988.

Elizabeth Dole was qualified and widely liked, but ultimately she chose not to run. But the mere fact that many in the media tossed her up as a possible candidate I think demonstrates that she was a contender.
She wasn't "viable" in the technical sense because she didn't run, but she certainly had the potential.

John McCain: oldest man to ever run for office

He'll be 72 on election day. But Bob Dole was 73 on election day 1996.

McCain would be as well, byt the time he was inaugurated.

Mitt Romney: first Mormon to run for president

Actually Joseph Smith the founder of the mormon faith ran in 1844 (though he died a few months after he started his campaign).

Ah. But by your own standard, Smith wasn't a viable candidate, whereas Romney has the nationwide campaign organization to actually get elected.