Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: Matter Eater Man

He really isn't any better than the rest of them

Wow. MEM finally came out and admitted that Democrats are no better than Republicans when it comes to corruption. This Obama thing really does have him rattled.

We agreed about that quite a long time ago G-man. You just get stuck in partisan mode & forget \:\(

Fair play!
the Offline
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Ignored by 3 users and 2 moderators
4000+ posts
Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man User I hope wondy has a nice day. I just don't have the same level of anger a true follower of Christ has
10000+ posts Wed Jan 30 2008 12:51 AM Reading a post
Forum: Politics and Current Events
Thread: Barack Hussein Obama in '08?

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
Obama refutes e-mails calling him "closet Muslim"

BY MARTIN C. EVANS AND KEITH HERBERT | martin.evans@newsday.com; keith.herbert@newsday.com
January 24, 2008

SUMTER, S.C. - Barack Obama broke into his stump speech throughout a day of campaigning in South Carolina yesterday to take on an e-mail whisper campaign that included allegations that he refuses to take the Pledge of Allegiance and is a "closet Muslim."

Obama referred to the whisper campaign during a morning radio program and later at campaign stops, telling an audience at a Sumter church that some had been "bamboozled."

"I've been a member of the same church for nearly 20 years, praying to Jesus with my Bible," Obama told 1,200 people at a church-run community center in Sumter. "Don't let people turn you around because they're just making stuff up. That's what they do, they try to bamboozle you."

Obama is a longtime member of a Trinity United Church of Christ, in Chicago. Members of the U.S. Senate regularly recite the Pledge of Allegiance while that body is in session.

For the past two weeks, South Carolina residents have been receiving e-mail containing false information regarding Obama.

The candidate is locked in a struggle with rival Hillary Rodham Clinton to win Saturday's South Carolina primary. A Zogby poll released yesterday showed him leading her there, 43 percent to 24 percent.

The state represents a huge opportunity for Obama, who has gained overwhelming support among the largely black Democrats since winning in Iowa.

The Obama campaign also defended itself against a Clinton radio spot referring to his comments about Ronald Reagan.

The radio ad implies Obama supported Reagan's policies. Obama has said the former president was a transformative figure but stressed repeatedly that he does not agree with Reagan's policies.

Obama, who has been the subject of campaign attacks by former President Bill Clinton, hit back hard this morning, saying Americans "are looking for a president they can trust."

"That's not what we're seeing out of the former president and the Clinton campaign over the last several weeks," he said.

Clinton, campaigning in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, steered clear of the controversy between her husband and Obama. At a rally in Hackensack with a large and enthusiastic crowd, she gave a stump speech that hit on universal themes, including health care and ending the war in Iraq. But she never mentioned Obama by name and kept away from the sharp attacks that have marked the campaign recently.

Her only veiled reference to Obama came when she talked about her plans for bringing the troops home from Iraq. She urged a more cautious approach. "Some people will come here and tell you it can be easily done," she said. "You have to do it carefully." She restated her plans to begin bringing troops home within 60 days of becoming president - one or two divisions a month.

Ah yes. An OVERT attack along that line. A cowardly one at that since it was done with no way to trace it's origin.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
While I'm not sure that Hillary is completely wrong about Obama being a closet Mulsim, I must say: my favorite part of this whole election cycle is watching so many liberals come to the conclusion that many of us came to as far back as 1992: the Clintons really are sleazy people.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Hillary Clinton never said that G-man. When you & other conservatives pull this spin you just show who you really want to be on the ticket. Shame on you!

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I know, MEM, I know. Because Hillary refuses to admit what everyone knows (namely, her complicity in these attacks) you can cling to the fiction that she isn't behind it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's pretty sleazy of you to say stuff like that. At best your guessing she's guilty because you want her to be. That just demonstrates your utter lack of character.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

I know, MEM. I know. You hope we'll forget about her having to fire various staffers when they were caught spreading anti-Obama rumors.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

I know, MEM. I know. You hope we'll forget about her having to fire various staffers when they were caught spreading anti-Obama rumors.

do the partners at your "lawfirm" or your "clients" know how many billable hours you spend either on a message board or on photoshop preparing for a message board?

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I do most of the photoshopping on weekends and evenings and save it for later.

And I don't spend as much time on the board as you think. I tend to keep a browser window open most of the time (so it looks like I'm here) but only post during breaks between meetings, lunch hours, etc.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I know, MEM, I know. Because Hillary refuses to admit what everyone knows (namely, her complicity in these attacks) you can cling to the fiction that she isn't behind it.

The Boston Globe” reports three federal employees in two different unidentified agencies are now under investigation for forwarding it from their government computers, a violation of a law banning civil servants from engaging in politics while on the job.

Nobody knows where the Obama smear began, but it has been promoted on right-wing Web sites. At least one official Republican Party Web site pulled it down only by the Clark County GOP in Washington with an admission that they thought it was true.

The e-mail has also spread across the globe via military e-mail, with some U.S. Army members admonished by superiors for having forwarded it. An almost literal version of an aphorism usually credited to Mark Twain but probably actually said in an 1855 sermon by Baptist preacher Charles H. Spurgeon: “A lie will go around the world while truth is pulling its boots on.”

Yep. Sounds like if it's Hillary.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
From MSNBC:
  • the Clinton campaign has "acknowledged that an Iowa county chair volunteering for the campaign passed along the now-notorious email" that repeats "the false claim that [Obama] attended a madrassa as a child."

Also:
Hillary Silent on Bob Johnson's Obama Smear

Second Clinton Volunteer Resigns Over Obama Muslim Email

Third Clinton Volunteer Knew Of Smear E-Mail

Clinton Co-Chair Resigns Over Obama Drug Remark

Hillary's Nixonian Tactics Against Obama

Heh. Must be the vast ring conspiracy making all her supporters do these things.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
First, we're discussing 2 entirely different E-mail campaigns. Second, while I don't support and rightly condemn Hillary Clinton and her own sleaze merchants and DO NOT support her candidacy on account of these sort of political attacks, you have to acknowledge however that the right wing blogosphere is doing their own share of running with the ball they've been given.

I know it's been debated here and you like to play innocent about it, but honestly, what is the point of repeatedly emphasizing Obama's middle name when I see NO ONE doing the same anywhere in the media save for the right wing blogosphere, right there alongside whatever rumour and slander about his religion they can get? Not even Clinton is trying to get traction from that.

Yes yes, well, THAT IS his name, isn't it??

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:
First, we're discussing 2 entirely different E-mail campaigns.

That's an interesting spin, given that the emails I mentioned are, like the emails you mentioned, chain emails about Barack Hussein Obama being a Muslim.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

The Boston Globe” reports three federal employees in two different unidentified agencies are now under investigation for forwarding it from their government computers, a violation of a law banning civil servants from engaging in politics while on the job.

Nobody knows where the Obama smear began, but it has been promoted on right-wing Web sites. At least one official Republican Party Web site pulled it down only by the Clark County GOP in Washington with an admission that they thought it was true.

The e-mail has also spread across the globe via military e-mail, with some U.S. Army members admonished by superiors for having forwarded it. An almost literal version of an aphorism usually credited to Mark Twain but probably actually said in an 1855 sermon by Baptist preacher Charles H. Spurgeon: “A lie will go around the world while truth is pulling its boots on.”

Yep. Sounds like if it's Hillary.

Thank you Whomod, I know your no fan of Hillary but this sums thing up nicely.

And G-man, I recognize that you not only hold Hillary accountable for the actions for everyone in her huge campaign but that she actually had those two campaign workers carrying out her implicit orders. You also believe all the misinformation that conservatives are running around & saying about Obama. Whatever

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Come on, MEM. Even your fellow liberals have been complaining about the public cheap shots that Bill and Hillary are talking against Obama in terms of his race and similar areas. And you expect us to believe that they wouldn't approve of a behind the scenes campaign as well?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Come on, MEM. Even your fellow liberals have been complaining about the public cheap shots that Bill and Hillary are talking against Obama in terms of his race and similar areas. And you expect us to believe that they wouldn't approve of a behind the scenes campaign as well?

Those would be the super-sensitive liberals and/or the Obama supporters who are only trying to spin the Clintons as racist. It's truly shameful to see so many Obama supporters take Bill Clinton's "fairy tale" comment & turn it into him playing the race card.

And no I don't think they would approve of the "Obama is a muslim" attack. That takes a person like yourself for example. (and even then you probably only do it when your ID is secret)

Fair play!
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Who gives a rats ar$e if Obama is a muslim?

Apart from ignorant yanks, that is?

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Captain Sweden
Who gives a rats ar$e if Obama is a muslim?

Apart from ignorant yanks, that is?

7 years of GOP rule has taught us that Muslims are akin to Hitler and the devil rolled into one.

Thus the need for G-Man to emphasize Obama's middle name every chance he can.

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
I wonder what middle name G-man has?

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Reagan

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Heh.

I wanted to name a daughter "Reagan" (since some people use that as a girl's name) but Mrs G wouldn't let me.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Okay, now it looks like Obama is in real trouble: MoveOn Endorses Obama, Pledges to Mobilize on Feb. 5.

Those "MoveOn" wackjobs are a curse, if you ask me.

;\)

Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Heh.

I wanted to name a daughter "Reagan" (since some people use that as a girl's name) but Mrs G wouldn't let me.

I can imagine the Lears she would've gotten if you'd done that.

(In Shakespeare's "King Lear," Regan was the name of one of Lear's daughters)

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
(It's not funny if you have to explain it)

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
 Originally Posted By: PCG342
(It's not funny if you have to explain it)

I post what I post for my own amusement, not anyone else's. No need to kick up a Tempest about it.

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
The RNC sent out a mailer to their list (.pdf) based on a study from the allegedly “non-partisan” (ha!) National Journal:

Looking at the analysis, the numbers don’t add up. *shock*

They claim that Obama and Clinton only differed on 10 votes, but somehow Obama comes in first and Clinton is #16. Fuzzy math, I tell ya. In fact, looking at the voting chart the NJ uses to draw their conclusions, it’s obvious that there are a few senators who are clearly more liberal than Obama. In fact, as this poll from Progressive Punch suggests, every Democratic Senator has a more liberal voting record than Obama, except Baucus, Biden, Pryor, Dodd (due to absenses on crucial votes), Landrieu and Ben Nelson — but since when do right wing journalists let those pesky facts get in the way? Let us not forget that in 2004, they claimed that…you guessed it, John Kerry and John Edwards were the most liberal senators. What a coincidence.

And besides, after the havoc the Republicans have wreaked on our country and around the world the past seven years, being called a Liberal isn’t a bad thing. Considering how wrong Bush and his enabling Republican cronies have been, does the National Journal really want to be saying that Barack Obama has been right more often than any other senator?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Whomod
And besides, after the havoc the Republicans have wreaked on our country and around the world the past seven years, being called a Liberal isn’t a bad thing. Considering how wrong Bush and his enabling Republican cronies have been, does the National Journal really want to be saying that Barack Obama has been right more often than any other senator?

That's because on the issues of (1) domestic spending, (2) the deficit, and (3)not cracking down on illegal immigration, and even (4) nation-building, Bush has behaved like a tax-and-spend liberal, rather than like a Republican.

And don't forget that the Democrats you exalt as the Great Alternative, are the same individuals who voted for the Iraq war, and for all the domestic spending you deceptively blame entirely on Bush.

Although Bush deserves criticism for not exerting his veto power to cut Congressional spending and earmarks. At the end of his presidency, he finally talks tough about actually using it.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Time on Obama's side as his momentum grows
  • Coast to coast, everywhere you looked, the Democratic presidential candidates - and more importantly, the voters - shattered stereotypes and defied conventional wisdom.

Barack Obama, who was criticized by Hillary Clinton's supporters as the "black" candidate with little cross-racial appeal, won caucuses in some of the whitest states imaginable - Utah, Minnesota, Idaho, North Dakota and Kansas - along with largely black Georgia and Alabama.

Clinton had a trick up her sleeve as well, delivering a delicious snub to the Kennedy clan - and throwing shade on Obama's second-coming-of-JFK pose - by winning Massachusetts.

Assuming the candidates more or less split the main prize of California, the Democratic race today will be deadlocked. And that is bad news for Clinton.

In one remarkable month, Obama erased Clinton's double-digit lead in national polls, raised more than twice as much money - $32 million to $13.5 million - and destroyed any notion that the Democratic presidential nomination is Clinton's to lose.

Top members of Clinton's team have publicly acknowledged what Tuesday's results made clear: They cannot check Obama's momentum.

A top Clinton spokesman told The Wall Street Journal the campaign is likely to remain unresolved all the way up to the August convention in Denver.

That's not just an admission that Clinton's inevitability strategy has failed: It also means Obama will have the time and money to march his formidable field organization - and advertising team - into the next battlegrounds, Louisiana, Nebraska and Washington State.

Most of all, the next week will bring more of the phenomenon that most bedevils Team Clinton: Obama's fast-growing, improbable status as a cool, iconic figure among students and artists.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Obama sounds like Osama.
Anyone else notice that? It could hurt him, the way that Joey Clitler was hurt by having the same name as Stalin.

Bow ties are coool.
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
[url=http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/02/06/2008-02-06_untitled__2louis06m.html]...Barack Obama, who was criticized by Hillary Clinton's supporters as the "black" candidate with little cross-racial appeal, ....
[/list]

What a gross generalization to make! I'm sure there are some out there that felt that way but that doesn't justify such a statement. Is this a tabloid paper?

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Apparently Obama has offered a bit of a threat to superdelegates...

Quote:
... they [superdelegates] "would have to think long and hard about how they approach the nomination when the people they claim to represent have said, 'Obama's our guy,'" he said.

Mark Nickolas Blog

This is the unity guy who has no problem with all those voters from Florida & Michigan not getting to send delegates?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
How is it a "threat" to point out that it would something of an ethical quandry if the super delegates vote against the wishes of those they claim to represent?

In any event, it's my understanding that Obama may actually ahead of Clinton in delegates at this point:

• In a surprise twist after a chaotic Super Tuesday, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) passed Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) in network tallies of the number of delegates the candidates racked up last night.

The Obama camp now projects topping Clinton by 13 delegates, 847 to 834.

NBC News, which is projecting delegates based on the Democratic Party's complex formula, figures Obama will wind up with 840 to 849 delegates, versus 829 to 838 for Clinton.

Clinton was portrayed in many news accounts as the night’s big winner, but Obama’s campaign says he wound up with a higher total where it really counts — the delegates who will choose the party’s nominee at this summer’s Democratic convention.

With the delegate count still under way, NBC News said Obama appears to have won around 840 delegates in yesterday’s contests, while Clinton earned about 830 — “give or take a few,” Tim Russert, the network’s Washington bureau chief, said on the “Today” show.

The Obama campaign attached an Excel spreadsheet containing “state-by-state estimates of the pledged delegates we won last night, which total 845 for Obama and 836 for Clinton — bringing the to-date total of delegates to 908 for Obama, 884 for Clinton.”

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Superdelegates are not supposed to be just rubber stamps. There is no ethical quandry unless they pick someone that they think shouldn't be President.

By bringing up the issue in the way he did I see it as a bit of a threat. After all why bring it up unless he feels they should just be rubber stamps?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
There's a difference between criticism and threats.

Even if one concedes that Obama is incorrect on the role of a superdelegate, I don't see how suggesting those delegates "think long and hard" about how to vote can be fairly viewed as an act of intimidation or retaliation.

At worst, Obama seems to be saying that failure to listen to their constitency may have political implications for them.

If, on the other hand, you can show that Obama is promising to use his influence to create political implications I could see what you mean. But from what you posted I don't see it.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Like for example Kennedy?

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Btw unless Obama thinks superdelegates don't think long & hard about their choice why say it? Does anyone think they don't think about who they pick?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Like for example Kennedy?

Are you saying that, if the superdelegates don't vote for Obama he plans to drive them off a bridge and leave them to drown?

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
Obama sounds like Osama.
Anyone else notice that? It could hurt him, the way that Joey Clitler was hurt by having the same name as Stalin.

I heard his middle name ain't much better.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Speaking of middle names...

I remember when I first started this thread, MEM kept changing the title to remove references to Obama's middle name. In fact, he was very critical of mentioning that name, calling it "a sad attempt to play on people's uglier sides." (#761721 - 12/10/06 06:45 PM)

Then, about the same time Obama starting beating Hillary in the primaries, MEM stopped removing the middle name, even though he still studiously changes the "Hillary" thread title (and certain other titles) whenever he posts there.

In fact, MEM is so O-C about changing thread titles that he sometimes does it just to add an explanation point to the title, in place of a question mark.

Further, he stopped removing the reference to Obama's middle name about the same time that some of Hillary's staff/volunteers were caught circulating an email about how Obama was a closet Muslim.

Funny about that....especially given MEM's near Jihadist devotion to Senator Clinton and all...

Page 13 of 94 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard