Print Thread
Page 16 of 94 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 93 94
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
I'll admit that Hillary fought the good fight, though. Surely her supporters will find comfort in that.

While it's looking very good for Obama winning the nomination right now, the race isn't over & she still has a shot at winning. It was well known that there was going to be drought for her till the big states in March. I'll admit I'll be surprised if she pulls wins in all 3 states but then again she wasn't suppossed to win CA or NH before that so who knows.

It would probably be best for the party if she does lose them though. Then at the convention it will be safe to "break" the rules & seat MI & FL

Fair play!
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I kiiiid! I kiid. Of course she still has a shot.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that a drought was expected, though. No one was expecting it as far as I saw. If people were, please post it here.

Also not sure where you got the quotes around the word break. You don't need them. That would be breaking the rules that everyone, including Clinton, agreed to.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I kiiiid! I kiid. Of course she still has a shot.

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that a drought was expected, though. No one was expecting it as far as I saw. If people were, please post it here.

Also not sure where you got the quotes around the word break. You don't need them. That would be breaking the rules that everyone, including Clinton, agreed to.

I'll dig some stories up later but yeah it was pretty much acknowledged that Clinton was going to have to manage to hold out till Ohio after Super Tuesday ended up not knocking either one out.

Fair play!
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
If she loses PA and Texas it's over. All the money will flow to Obama. She had a lead in the polls in Wisconsin till he spent money and time there and then poof it was gone. CNN was saying just 'cause she has a lead now doesn't mean much. She has a foundation made of sand......just like the Articles of Confederation.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Early voting starts today in Texas. In Waller County, a primarily rural county about 60 miles outside Houston, the county made the decision to offer only one early voting location: at the County Courthouse in Hempstead, TX, the county seat.

Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas’ historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed.

According to an article in today’s Houston Chronicle:

Quote:
Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General’s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results.

The article adds,

Quote:
“I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,” said sophomore Dee Dee Williams.

So what are the students doing?

Quote:
1000 students, along with an additional 1000 friends and supporters, are this morning walking the 7.3 miles between Prairie View and Hempstead in order to vote today.

According to the piece I saw on the news (there’s no video up, so I can’t link to it), the students plan to all vote today. There are only 2 machines available at the courthouse for early voting, so they hope to tie them up all day and into the night.

I love stories like this. In the face of an obvious ploy to suppress the vote, these young people stood up for their rights and showed that they will not be cowed. Republicans should be worried, because this is a committed electorate.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Hilary should be worried too.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
they dont all rape white women....

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
the disenfranchised really do make the easiest marks.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod
Early voting starts today in Texas. In Waller County, a primarily rural county about 60 miles outside Houston, the county made the decision to offer only one early voting location: at the County Courthouse in Hempstead, TX, the county seat.

Prairie View A&M students organized to protest the decision, because they felt it hindered their ability to vote. For background, Prairie View A&M is one of Texas’ historically Black universities. It has a very different demographic feel than the rest of the county. There has been a long history of dispute over what the students feel is disenfranchisement. There was a lot of outrage in 2006, when students felt they were unfairly denied the right to vote when their registrations somehow did not get processed.

According to an article in today’s Houston Chronicle:

Quote:
Waller County has faced numerous lawsuits involving voting rights in the past 30 years and remains under investigation by the Texas Attorney General’s Office based on complaints by local black leaders. Those allegations, concerning the November 2006 general election, related to voting machine failures, inadequate staffing and long delays for voting results.

The article adds,

Quote:
“I was angry after registering to vote in the 2006 election only to be turned away at the voting booth,” said sophomore Dee Dee Williams.

So what are the students doing?

Quote:
1000 students, along with an additional 1000 friends and supporters, are this morning walking the 7.3 miles between Prairie View and Hempstead in order to vote today.

According to the piece I saw on the news (there’s no video up, so I can’t link to it), the students plan to all vote today. There are only 2 machines available at the courthouse for early voting, so they hope to tie them up all day and into the night.

I love stories like this. In the face of an obvious ploy to suppress the vote, these young people stood up for their rights and showed that they will not be cowed. Republicans should be worried, because this is a committed electorate.

Does the KKK know about this? They could get a lot of work done.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I'm not sure those students are really driving their point home, insofar as they seem to be demonstrating that they have plenty of free time. That would seem to undercut the argument that the location of the polling place hinders their ability to vote.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
If she loses PA and Texas it's over. All the money will flow to Obama. She had a lead in the polls in Wisconsin till he spent money and time there and then poof it was gone. CNN was saying just 'cause she has a lead now doesn't mean much. She has a foundation made of sand......just like the Articles of Confederation.

There have been a couple of states that are considered her "firewalls". New Hampshire, California fell into that category. Wisconsin wasn't one of them though. It's not that different from Minnesota that went even more heavily for Obama. I think she got a little over 30 percent here.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Teamsters Union to Endorse Obama

These are the types of endorsements that, in my mind, matter, certainly moreso than an editorial in a newspapers. The teamsters have a lot of power and a lot of money they can put behind a candidate.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Rudy looks much better with the sparkly red shoes.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Is that a pic when Rudy was younger G-man? Geez you've been with Rudy for a long time!

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
in the ass!

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Teamsters Union to Endorse Obama

These are the types of endorsements that, in my mind, matter, certainly moreso than an editorial in a newspapers. The teamsters have a lot of power and a lot of money they can put behind a candidate.

you're killing me

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts

There have been a couple of states that are considered her "firewalls". New Hampshire, California fell into that category. Wisconsin wasn't one of them though. It's not that different from Minnesota that went even more heavily for Obama. I think she got a little over 30 percent here.
CNN reported today that if Obama does even fairly well the rest of the way Hilary will need to win 54% of the delegate vote in the rest of the primaries just to catch up to him.....if he wins one of the next big primaries the number automatically jumps to 64%.

It's pretty much over.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Hillary doesn't have to totally catch up to Obama though. If she is able to win the big states that are left over & have favored her so far it will be a problem of perception for Obama. Talk of Obama momentum will become talk about Hillary the comeback kid. If Hillary somehow manages to continue the winning streak till the clock runs out, she would probably be able to win many of the superdelegates over at the convention. (minus the ones Obama has spent some big bucks on)

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

CNN reported today that if Obama does even fairly well the rest of the way Hilary will need to win 54% of the delegate vote in the rest of the primaries just to catch up to him.....if he wins one of the next big primaries the number automatically jumps to 64%.

It's pretty much over.

tell that to Theodore Roosevelt!

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Michelle Obama has been attacked over a recent comment she made by the right wing the last few days about being proud of America. She was targeted as being unpatriotic even by McCain’s wife. Well, you knew it was only a matter of time before “lynching references” would pop up when discussing Obama’s campaign.

Listen

Quote:
O'Reilly: "I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels"

Summary: In a discussion of recent comments made by Michelle Obama, Bill O'Reilly took a call from a listener who stated that, according to "a friend who had knowledge of her," Obama " 'is a very angry,' her word was 'militant woman.' " O'Reilly later stated: "I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that America is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down."

Just recently a reporter from the Golf Channel apologized to Tiger Woods for using the word “lynching” when talking about his play on the tour which resulted in her suspension. An editor was also fired.

O’Reilly has a history of racially charged remarks. He took a lot of heat for his callous description of the behavior of African Americans eating at Harlem’s Sylvia’s restaurant not too long ago. Will Juan Williams swoop in to try and eflect criticism from BillO this time too?

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

<iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/23264164#23264164" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

(a little help ushi for Michelle Obama's actual "proud" comment.)

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
are you really a politically correct twat? or is this just for partisan purposes?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
I've said a couple times that unless Michelle Obama stays very quiet & just smiles & waves, she will be made the next Hillary Clinton. Considering that many on the left have picked up the rights dirty habits when talking about Hillary I gotta say what comes around goes around.

If it's any consolation, at least the kids are cute & the folks won't have to worry about them being compared to dogs.

Fair play!
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
President Bush: Don't Say 'Lynching' In Jest

Quote:
"The noose is not a symbol of prairie justice, but of gross injustice," the president said. "Displaying one is not a harmless prank, and lynching is not a word to be mentioned in jest."

As a civil society, Americans should agree that noose displays and lynching jokes are "deeply offensive," Bush said. "They are wrong. And they have no place in America today."

I guess O'Reilly didn't realize how much of a de factor standard this was.

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hillary doesn't have to totally catch up to Obama though. If she is able to win the big states that are left over & have favored her so far it will be a problem of perception for Obama. Talk of Obama momentum will become talk about Hillary the comeback kid.

I'd say that's somewhat a fair call. Although, really, she'd have to hold considerable wins for that to happen.

If Hillary somehow manages to continue the winning streak till the clock runs out...

I think you mean Obama, and at this like this looks most probably.

she would probably be able to win many of the superdelegates over at the convention. (minus the ones Obama has spent some big bucks on)

First, probably not. Many of the superdelegates, especially those in elected positions, would rather not go against the people's vote. Again, that's a probably not. It could happen the way you way.

Second, I'm surprised you're still working on this notion that Obama bought superdelegate votes. That's just silly.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
They are both equally schmoozing the super delgates. I wish I was one. They are going out to dinners and having face to face private breakfasts with Clinton and Obabma.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
but with that said I believe they will vote the way the DNC tells them to vote and that will be for whoever is leading.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
They are both equally schmoozing the super delgates. I wish I was one. They are going out to dinners and having face to face private breakfasts with Clinton and Obabma.

Really? Now this I haven't heard.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Not always Clinton and Obama personally but Bill and Chlesea are doing it for Hillary.....and I'm sure Obabma is doing it too. They had a few of the super delegates on CNN I think it was. One of them was only 20 years old! He had just finished having breakfast with Chelsea. Many of the super delegates are very ordinary people. Which is why I am wondering how you become one. I could get into that.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
How is using money to buy influence silly?

Fair play!
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080221/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_delegates
 Quote:
Barack Obama won the Democrats Abroad global primary in results announced Thursday, giving him 11 straight victories in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The Illinois senator won the primary in which Democrats living in other countries voted by Internet, mail and in person.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has not won a nominating contest since Super Tuesday, more than two weeks ago.

More than 20,000 U.S. citizens living abroad voted in the primary, which ran from Feb. 5 to Feb. 12. Obama won about 65 percent of the vote, according to results released by the Democrats Abroad, an organization sanctioned by the national party.

Voters living in 164 countries cast votes online, while expatriates voted in person in more than 30 countries, at hotels in Australia and Costa Rica, at a pub in Ireland and at a Starbucks in Thailand. The results took about a week to tabulate as local committees around the globe gathered ballots.

"This really gives Americans an opportunity to participate," said Christine Schon Marques, the international chair of Democrats Abroad.

There is no comparable primary among Republicans, though the GOP has several contests this weekend in U.S. territories, including party caucuses in Puerto Rico Sunday.

Obama's win comes just two days after he defeated Clinton in a primary in Wisconsin and caucuses in Hawaii. He leads Clinton 1,351 delegates to 1,262 delegates, not including the 7 delegates yet to be awarded based on the global primary voting results.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

I never said that using money to buy influence is silly. I said that working on this notion that Obama bought superdelegate votes is silly.

Pay attention reax.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yeah, I brought it back. And proud of it.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
are you really a politically correct twat? or is this just for partisan purposes?

"political correctness" is just a phrase people use to excuse their general assholeness and sometimes outright bigotry.

You know he’s saying exactly what he thinks — that’s the whole trick. You know it’s coming straight from his gut. That’s what his appeal has always been.

Can someone explain to me when this became a more admirable character trait than being a decent person? I hear it all the time. “Well, he may be a racist and a child molester, but you know where he stands,” as if being a straight-talking asshole somehow negates the fact that you are … an asshole.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts

Partisanship.

If Martin Luther King said something along the lines of "Fuck you Cracka'!" Whomod would just explain it away. But a conservative pundit who he speculates to be racist (because it would serve his interests) based on the use of the term "lynch" doesn't get a reprieve even though he has no proof that it was racially motivated.

....Oh yeah, and he's also PC twat.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

politically correct twat.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
There's also a certain level of irony here that whomod is more upset about O'Reilly saying he didn't want to go after Mrs Obama than he is about her original comment that she's never been proud of our country until the time it considers nominating her husband for president.

Actually I guess there is no irony. It's just another example of whomod's "Fox Derangement Syndrome."

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

I never said that using money to buy influence is silly. I said that working on this notion that Obama bought superdelegate votes is silly.

Pay attention reax.

Sure he just helped out many people who happened to be superdelegates. It's all legal & Hillary has been doing it too, he's just been doing it better. I just didn't phrase it correctly sorry.

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
There's also a certain level of irony here that whomod is more upset about O'Reilly saying he didn't want to go after Mrs Obama than he is about her original comment that she's never been proud of our country until the time it considers nominating her husband for president.

Actually I guess there is no irony. It's just another example of whomod's "Fox Derangement Syndrome."

Everybody's guilty of doing this to an extent. Your comment towards the recent McCain story for example, where you somehow managed to turn it into a positive for McCain & a negative towards the NYT.

BTW does anyone else think Michelle's little moment of pride won't be going away soon? I couldn't believe she said it & thought that ought to be a good rallying cry for the GOP come election time.

Fair play!
Page 16 of 94 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard