Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 94 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 93 94
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Praise Allah?

Are you a Muslim G-Man or are you just comfortable insinuating that Obama is one?

Again, you're low life.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
is everyone in LA as oversensitive as you?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Praise Allah!

PJP #927928 2008-02-27 1:11 AM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Cunningham fucked him good today.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

Free from tranny!? That bastard!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yahoo! News

McCain disavows comments about Obama
Tue Feb 26, 6:42 PM ET

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer

• CINCINNATI - Republican John McCain quickly denounced the comments of a radio talk show host who while warming up a campaign crowd referred repeatedly to Barack Hussein Obama and called the Democratic presidential candidate a "hack, Chicago-style" politician.

Hussein is Obama's middle name, but talk show host Bill Cunningham used it three times as he addressed the crowd before the likely Republican nominee's appearance.

"Now we have a hack, Chicago-style Daley politician who is picturing himself as change. When he gets done with you, all you're going to have in your pocket is change," Cunningham said as the audience laughed.

The time will come, Cunningham added, when the liberal-leaning media will "peel the bark off Barack Hussein Obama" and tell the truth about his relationship with indicted fundraiser Antoin "Tony" Rezko and how Obama got "sweetheart deals" in Chicago.

McCain wasn't on stage or, he says, in the building when Cunningham made the comments, but he quickly distanced himself from the radio talk show host after finishing his speech. McCain spoke to a couple hundred people at Memorial Hall in downtown Cincinnati.

"I apologize for it," McCain told reporters, addressing the issue before they had a chance to ask the Arizona senator about Cunningham's comments.

"I did not know about these remarks, but I take responsibility for them. I repudiate them," he said. "My entire campaign I have treated Senator Obama and Senator (Hillary Rodham) Clinton with respect. I will continue to do that throughout this campaign."

McCain called both Democrats "honorable Americans" and said, "I want to dissociate myself with any disparaging remarks that may have been said about them."

Asked whether the use of Obama's middle name — the same as former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein — is proper, McCain said: "No, it is not. Any comment that is disparaging of either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama is totally inappropriate."

McCain said he didn't know who decided to allow Cunningham to speak but said he was sure it was in coordination with his campaign. He said he didn't hear the comments and has never met Cunningham, but "I will certainly make sure that nothing like that happens again."

Responding to McCain's apology, Obama spokesman Bill Burton said, "It is a sign that if there is a McCain-Obama general election, it can be intensely competitive but the candidates will attempt to keep it respectful and focused on issues."

Last fall, McCain faced criticism for initially not repudiating a voter in South Carolina who called Clinton a "bitch." McCain chuckled in response to the voter's question, but didn't embrace the epithet. A few minutes later, he said he respected Clinton, a New York senator and colleague.

Aside from using Obama's middle name, Cunningham also mocked the Illinois senator's foreign policy statements about his willingness to meet with the leaders of rogue nations. He said he envisions a future in which "the great prophet from Chicago takes the stand and the world leaders who want to kill us will simply be singing Kumbaya together around the table with Barack Obama."

At one point, Cunningham compared Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to Madeleine Albright, whom he said "looks like death warmed over." He also commented on the difference between former Ohio Rep. Rob Portman, whose wife is named Jane, and Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank, an openly gay member of Congress. "Jane's the main difference. But that's a different story," Cunningham said.

As Cunningham finished, Portman, who is mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate, took the microphone to introduce McCain.

"Willie, you're out of control again. So, what else is new? But we love him," Portman said. "But I've got to tell you, Bill Cunningham lending his voice to this campaign is extremely important. He did it in 2000, he did it in 2004. It was crucial to victory then and it's even more important this year with his bigger radio audience. So, Bill Cunningham, thank you for lending your voice."

Speaking to reporters later alongside McCain, Portman said: "I was backstage so I didn't hear everything he said. Bill Cunningham is a radio talk show host who is often controversial so it does not surprise me that he was controversial." He added: "That's, I guess, how he makes his living."

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Yahoo! News

Former rival Dodd endorses Obama
Tue Feb 26, 3:44 PM ET

By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent

• CLEVELAND - Sen. Christopher Dodd endorsed one-time presidential rival Barack Obama on Tuesday and said it is time for Democrats to join forces to defeat the Republicans in the fall campaign.

"I don't want a campaign that is divisive here, and there's a danger in that," Dodd said, although he denied he was nudging Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton to end her candidacy.

Dodd said Obama was "ready to be president and I am ready to support him in this campaign."

The two men appeared together at a news conference. Dodd is the first of the Democratic campaign dropouts to endorse another candidate.

He said Obama "has been poked and prodded, analyzed and criticized, called too green, too trusting and for all of that has already won" more than half the states and millions of votes.

"It's now the hour to come together. ... This is the moment for Democrats and independents and others to come together, to get behind this candidacy," he said.

Dodd said he spoke with Clinton on Monday evening to tell her of his decision.

Dodd said he wasn't worried that the candidates would go too far in their pursuit of victory, but that their aides and supporters might.

"We've witnessed a little bit of that" in recent days, he said.

That was an apparent reference to a photograph that shows Obama wearing a white turban and a wraparound white robe that was presented to him by elders in Wajir, in northeastern Kenya.

The gossip and news Web site The Drudge Report posted the photograph Monday and said it was being circulated by "Clinton staffers" and quoted an e-mail from an unidentified campaign aide. Drudge did not include proof of the e-mail in the report.

The Clinton campaign has said it did not sanction circulation of the photo.

Obama told reporters, "I don't think that photograph was circulated to enhance my candidacy, I think that's fair to say.

"... Do I think that is reflective of Senator Clinton's approach to the campaign, probably not."

PJP #928016 2008-02-27 8:08 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
Cunningham fucked him good today.

How so?

Lemee guess. More unfounded insinuations that Obama is a Muslim perchance in order to scare up more FEAR and prejudice?

Gotta love the right wings only trump cards.

whomod #928017 2008-02-27 8:13 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
...speaking of which... It seems the gOP is worried about being labeled bigots and did polling to gauge how slimy is TOO slimy. Even for them.

It never struck me as especially complicated. Once there was a clear Democratic presidential nominee, the Republican National Committee would label him or her weak on terror, liberal (on everything), and desperate to raise your taxes. Throw in some references to 9/11, a few pictures of menacing-looking Middle Easterners, and a dash of immigrant bashing, and voila!

But it appears the RNC is hesitating, not because they’re unsure how to attack, but rather, because they want to prefer to avoid being labeled bigots.

Quote:
Top Republican strategists are working on plans to protect the GOP from charges of racism or sexism in the general election, as they prepare for a presidential campaign against the first ever African-American or female Democratic nominee.

The Republican National Committee has commissioned polling and focus groups to determine the boundaries of attacking a minority or female candidate, according to people involved. The secretive effort underscores the enormous risk senior GOP operatives see for a party often criticized for its insensitivity to minorities in campaigns dating back to the 1960s.

Look, RNC officials know the difference between a clean attack and a dirty one. They recognize when an attack is driven by race-based politics, and when one is substantive and above-board. The only reason they would need a focus group to help them out on this is if they planned to walk right up to the decency line, and wanted to know how far they could go without crossing it.

And that's part of the beauty of Obama. Not only is he inspiring the nation but the GOP are unsure how to slime him. They know perfectly well how to slime the Clinton's. Hell, they've been doing it for years! It seems for now all they have to play with is peoples fear and ignorance about Obama's religion and yeah, it's payed divedends for them with their ignorant misinformed base, weaned on a diet of FOX News and Limbaugh.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
True.

You'd think that Obama's opponents would have realized by now that the he's-a-Muslim-terrorist-OMG! fearmongering thing hasn't worked very well. I've spoken to a good number of people about it, and while too many still think he's Muslim, too few equate that with being a terrorist.

That and, you know, eleven in a row.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
your biased though.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
True.

You'd think that Obama's opponents would have realized by now that the he's-a-Muslim-terrorist-OMG! fearmongering thing hasn't worked very well. I've spoken to a good number of people about it, and while too many still think he's Muslim, too few equate that with being a terrorist.

That and, you know, eleven in a row.

Notch up a few more wins.

Hillary didn't do herself any favors last night at the debate.

whomod #928087 2008-02-27 6:58 PM
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

Her bitching about 'always' being asked the first question didn't help at all. She tried to play it off as a joke, but it sounded like a bitch. It's really odd, too, since being asked the first question has helped her in setting the tone of the whole debate.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Let's face it. Hillary is a bitch, has always been a bitch and will always be a bitch. But now that she's running, for the first time in her life, against an appealing candidate of her own party, and losing, it's harder and harder for her to mask that essential bitchiness, especially now that the media isn't covering it up for her.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
your biased though.

As are you.

However, the poll numbers are what they are. Nothing Obama's opponents are throwing at him is sticking, and that includes the emails, pictures, and all else that try to tie him to Islam.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Let's face it. Hillary is a bitch, has always been a bitch and will always be a bitch. But now that she's running, for the first time in her life, against an appealing candidate of her own party, and losing, it's harder and harder for her to mask that essential bitchiness, especially now that the media isn't covering it up for her.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Report: Lewis to Endorse Obama

1 hour ago

• WASHINGTON (AP) — Civil rights leader John Lewis has dropped his support for Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid in favor of Barack Obama, according to a newspaper report Wednesday.

Lewis, a Democratic congressman from Atlanta, is the most prominent black leader to defect from Clinton's campaign in the face of near-majority black support for Obama in recent voting. He also is a superdelegate who gets a vote at this summer's national convention in Denver.

"It's been a long, hard difficult struggle to come to where I am," Lewis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an interview. "But when I am, as a superdelegate, I plan to cast my vote at the convention for Barack Obama."

Lewis' constituents supported Obama roughly 3-to-1 in Georgia's Feb. 5 primary. His endorsement had been a coveted prize among the Democratic candidates thanks to his standing as one of the last major civil rights leaders of the 1960s.

Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota endorsed Obama on Wednesday, citing his record on trade.

"Senator Obama has never felt ... that NAFTA was good for America," Dorgan said in a campaign conference call with reporters.

Dorgan said Obama has supported key trade issues. "He and I feel the same way. We both believe in trade and plenty of it. We just insist it that it be fair to our country — the rules be fair."

NAFTA, the free trade agreement with Canada and Mexico, is unpopular with blue-collar workers whose votes are critical in the Democratic primary Tuesday in Ohio.

Obama has won 11 straight primaries and caucuses since Super Tuesday, increased his advantage in the all-important delegate count and has attracted the support of his congressional colleagues. On Tuesday, he secured the endorsement of one-time presidential candidate Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut.

Clinton has been endorsed by 13 of her Senate colleagues, Obama 10.

Dorgan was an ally of former President Clinton and a vocal critic of President Bush. As chairman of the Democratic Policy Committee, he has led hearings on government accountability issues related to the Iraq war and hurricanes on the Gulf Coast.

Dorgan has built a reputation for championing populist farm programs, criticizing Republican free-trade policies and assailing big business. He made headlines in 2005 when he called for a windfall profits tax on major oil companies.

Last year, he authored a measured to block funding of a Department of Transportation pilot program required under NAFTA that would have opened the U.S. to cross-border long-haul Mexican tractor trailers. The program was opposed by the Teamsters Union, among others.

thedoctor #928108 2008-02-27 7:37 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

Her bitching about 'always' being asked the first question didn't help at all. She tried to play it off as a joke, but it sounded like a bitch. It's really odd, too, since being asked the first question has helped her in setting the tone of the whole debate.

Apparently her handlers thought she had to come out there and be "tough". And yeah, all she did was come off as an overbearing whiny bitch. How the fuck do you whine about the moderator giving you the advantage??!! It just boggles the mind. It just came off as sounding like "waaa, everyones against me even Brian Williams!!!"

I'm tempted to make a quip about something vast.....

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
your biased though.

As are you.

no i'm not. i'm politically neutral.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I'm not a right winger.

PJP #928188 2008-02-28 12:44 AM
PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
I don't see why he is defensive about a pic that he posed for.

whomod #928201 2008-02-28 1:05 AM
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts
Pun-damentalist nutjob
400+ posts

Apparently her handlers thought she had to come out there and be "tough". And yeah, all she did was come off as an overbearing whiny bitch. How the fuck do you whine about the moderator giving you the advantage??!! It just boggles the mind. It just came off as sounding like "waaa, everyones against me even Brian Williams!!!"

I'm sure if I were to guess what you're thinking, I'd be right on the money, but I'm reluctant to post it.

Although maybe if I posted in wingding font, like in code...

;\)

This is not vengeance. This is pun-ishment.

"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability." — Edgar Allan Poe
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Yeah, we members of the VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACYTM are really excited to welcome Brian Williams and the rest of the NBC news department into the fold. I just wish they got the memo that we don't like Obama either. That's why we made up a fake middle name and photoshopped him into a picture with a turban on his head.

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
Don't you feel better now that you've said it out loud?

whomod #928263 2008-02-28 3:19 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

You & many other Obama supporters really sound just like Rush republicans in your nastiness.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter Eater Man

the G-man #928276 2008-02-28 3:39 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

Somebody care to explain to me G-man's fascination with the she-males?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Obama Catches Heat Over Farrakhan Support
  • Farrakhan, who has drawn attention for calling Judaism a “gutter religion,” dubbed the Illinois senator the “hope of the entire world” on Sunday.

Obama was asked during a debate with Hillary Clinton Tuesday night if he would reject that support — but the Illinois senator at first hedged.

“I can’t say to somebody that he can’t say that he thinks I’m a good guy,” Obama said. “You know, I have been very clear in my denunciations of him and his past statements.”

Clinton then chimed in to say she rejected support from an anti-Israel group during her 2000 Senate run, and that Obama’s denunciation of Farrakhan is not as strong as a rejection.

Obama relented: “I have to say I don’t see a difference between denouncing and rejecting. There’s no formal offer of help from Minister Farrakhan that would involve me rejecting it. But if the word ‘reject’ Senator Clinton feels is stronger than the word ‘denounce,’ then I’m happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce.”

He earned the crowd’s applause, but his handling of the question could spell trouble.

An article in the latest edition of Newsweek reported that Clinton’s surrogates are already floating the word that Obama has a shaky commitment to Israel

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Report: Lewis to Endorse Obama

1 hour ago

[list]WASHINGTON (AP) — Civil rights leader John Lewis has dropped his support for Hillary Rodham Clinton's presidential bid in favor of Barack Obama, according to a newspaper report Wednesday.

Lewis, a Democratic congressman from Atlanta, is the most prominent black leader to defect from Clinton's campaign in the face of near-majority black support for Obama in recent voting. He also is a superdelegate who gets a vote at this summer's national convention in Denver.

"It's been a long, hard difficult struggle to come to where I am," Lewis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an interview. "But when I am, as a superdelegate, I plan to cast my vote at the convention for Barack Obama."

Lewis' constituents supported Obama roughly 3-to-1 in Georgia's Feb. 5 primary. His endorsement had been a coveted prize among the Democratic candidates thanks to his standing as one of the last major civil rights leaders of the 1960s.

So he actually thinks Clinton would be the better candidate personally but since his constituents like Obama more he's switching his support?

Quote:
Sen. Byron Dorgan of North Dakota endorsed Obama on Wednesday, citing his record on trade.

"Senator Obama has never felt ... that NAFTA was good for America," Dorgan said in a campaign conference call with reporters.

Dorgan said Obama has supported key trade issues. "He and I feel the same way. We both believe in trade and plenty of it. We just insist it that it be fair to our country — the rules be fair."

Does Obama actually have much of a record on trade? I'm also pretty sure that all the candidates believe in & are for trade with fair rules to our country.

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Obama Catches Heat Over Farrakhan Support
  • Farrakhan, who has drawn attention for calling Judaism a “gutter religion,” dubbed the Illinois senator the “hope of the entire world” on Sunday.

Obama was asked during a debate with Hillary Clinton Tuesday night if he would reject that support — but the Illinois senator at first hedged.

“I can’t say to somebody that he can’t say that he thinks I’m a good guy,” Obama said. “You know, I have been very clear in my denunciations of him and his past statements.”

Clinton then chimed in to say she rejected support from an anti-Israel group during her 2000 Senate run, and that Obama’s denunciation of Farrakhan is not as strong as a rejection.

Obama relented: “I have to say I don’t see a difference between denouncing and rejecting. There’s no formal offer of help from Minister Farrakhan that would involve me rejecting it. But if the word ‘reject’ Senator Clinton feels is stronger than the word ‘denounce,’ then I’m happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce.”

He earned the crowd’s applause, but his handling of the question could spell trouble.

An article in the latest edition of Newsweek reported that Clinton’s surrogates are already floating the word that Obama has a shaky commitment to Israel

Funny.

Because amost all the media outlets are laying praise on Obama and saying that he defused a potentially embarrassing situation cooly and expertly.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I watched that segment and it came across to me that Hillary was splitting hairs between "denounce" and "reject" and Obama was like,"well,if it'll make you feel better,then I'll say "reject"." Hillary came across,to me,grasping at straws to make him look bad.I don't think it worked though.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
almost all the media outlets are laying praise on Obama and saying that he defused a potentially embarrassing situation cooly and expertly.

Even if that is the case, it doesn't contradict what the article said, namely that he "caught heat" for it. It simply means that he allegedly defused it.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: allan1
I watched that segment and it came across to me that Hillary was splitting hairs between "denounce" and "reject" and Obama was like,"well,if it'll make you feel better,then I'll say "reject"." Hillary came across,to me,grasping at straws to make him look bad.I don't think it worked though.

Yes. Sort of like how G-man is also grasping at straws, above.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
It’s unexpected, but even Karl Rove is discouraging Republican attack dogs from throwing around Barack Obama’s middle name.

No less an authority figure than Karl Rove has warned Republican operatives from demagoguing Barack Obama’s middle name.

At a closed door meeting of GOP state executive directors in late January, Rove said the safest way to refer to Obama would be to use his honorific, “Sen. Obama.”

Quote:
“The context was, you’re not going to stigmatize this guy. You shouldn’t underestimate him,” one of the executive directors said. Rove said that the use of “Barack Hussein Obama” would perpetuate the notion that Republicans were bigoted and would hurt the party.

Rove’s remarks come just one day after John McCain said he believes use of “Hussein” is inappropriate.

G-Man however is unswayed as he takes his marching orders from a higher power. AM hate radio. And there no one is ever concerned if they come off as sounding bigoted.

It’s unlikely the rest the party’s far-right base is going to listen to either of them either. Indeed, the Republican Party of Tennessee already seems anxious to reinforce the notion that Republicans are bigoted and don’t care whether it hurts the party or not.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
OH NO!!! The aP is publishing a story setting the record straight. G-Man and his far right slime merchants are going to have to work doubly hard now to reinforce the notion and deceive people that Obama is Muslim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Obama fights false links to Islam

By JIM KUHNHENN, Associated Press Writer Thu Feb 28, 2:22 AM ET

WASHINGTON - For Barack Obama, it is an ember that he has doused time and again, only to see it flicker anew: links to Islam fanned by false rumors, innuendo and association (and G-Man). Obama and his campaign reacted strongly this week when a photo of him in Kenyan tribal garb began spreading on the Internet.

And the praise he received Sunday from Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan prompted pointed questions — during Tuesday night's presidential debate and also in a private meeting over the weekend with Jewish leaders in Cleveland.

During the debate, Obama repeated his denunciation of Farrakhan's views, which have included numerous anti-Semitic comments. And, after being pressed, he rejected Farrakhan's support in the presidential race.

The Democratic candidate says repeatedly that he's a Christian who took the oath of office on a family Bible. Yet on the Internet and on talk radio — and in a campaign introduction for John McCain this week — he is often depicted, falsely, as a Muslim with shadowy ties and his middle name, Hussein, is emphasized as a reminder of Iraq's former leader.

"If anyone is still puzzled about the facts, in fact I have never been a Muslim," he told the Jewish leaders in Cleveland, according to a transcript of the private session.

The photo of Obama wearing Kenyan tribal raiments — taken by an Associated Press photographer during his visit in 2006 to the country where his father was born — resurfaced on the Internet amid unsubstantiated claims that it was being circulated by members of Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign. Clinton and her aides said they had nothing to do with it. The Obama campaign accused them of "shameful, offensive fear-mongering."

On Tuesday Republican candidate McCain denounced the introduction he got in Cincinnati that criticized Obama in vivid terms. Talk show host Bill Cunningham referred to Obama three times as "Barack Hussein Obama" and called him a "hack, Chicago-style" politician during the introduction of McCain.

The Obama campaign is closely attuned to the rumors and insinuations. Information on Obama's Christian faith is prominently available on the "Know the facts" page of his Web site. The campaign has distributed flyers to churches in states with presidential contests. And it encourages supporters to flag any attack that may make its way into cyberspace.

"Our campaign is vigilant in quickly responding to any information about Senator Obama that surfaces, be it on the Internet, in the media or from our opponents," spokesman Bill Burton said Wednesday.

If there is confusion — and opportunity for political mischief — it derives at least in part from Obama's rich cultural background. His mother was a white woman from Kansas, his father was Kenyan and he spent part of his childhood in Indonesia, a largely Muslim country.

"My grandfather, who was Kenyan, converted to Christianity, then converted to Islam," Obama said Sunday. "My father never practiced; he was basically agnostic. So, other than my name and the fact that I lived in a populous Muslim country for four years when I was a child, I have very little connection to the Islamic religion."

Obama has become careful in denouncing the links, lately noting that some rumors about him also have been insulting to Muslims. Jim Zogby, founder and president of the Arab American Institute, said many Arab Americans are drawn to Obama because of his cultural background.

"It is clear he wants to have a broader relationship with the Muslim world," Zogby said. "He has a biography that connects him to the Muslim world."

Obama, though in the presidential limelight now for more than a year, is still introducing himself to voters. An AP-Yahoo poll in January asked people to volunteer the first few words that came to mind about each of the candidates, and 4 percent of the respondents, unprompted, mentioned the word Muslim when describing Obama.

Some of the rumors and allegations about Obama are clearly not true, yet still spread, often anonymously:

• A debunked chain e-mail circulating widely on the Internet suggests he is hiding his Islamic roots. It says he was sworn into the Senate on the Quran and turns his back on the flag during the Pledge of Allegiance.

He took his Senate oath with his hand on a family Bible, and he says, "Whenever I'm in the United States Senate, I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America." In fact, no candidate could survive if he publicly spurned the pledge.

• Another false report says he attended a Muslim madrassa school as a child in Jakarta. Obama was born in Hawaii and moved to Indonesia when he was 6 to live with his mother and stepfather. He returned to Hawaii when he was 10 to live with his maternal grandparents. Interviews last year by The Associated Press at the elementary school in Jakarta found that it is a public and secular institution and has been open to students of all faiths since before Obama attended in the late 1960s. Said vice principal Akmad Solichin: "Yes, most of our students are Muslim, but there are Christians as well. Everyone's welcome here."

• Obama also has faced questions about his pastor at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, where he has been a member for 20 years. Trinity calls itself "Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian." But it accepts non-black congregants. The United Church of Christ's president and general minister, the Rev. John H. Thomas, was quoted in a church publication as pointing out that the Rev. Jane Fisler-Hoffman, Illinois Conference Minister, who is white, "has been a member of the congregation for years."

• Obama has been asked about Farrakhan's words of praise and Farrakhan's receipt of an award from "Trumpet Newsmagazine," a Trinity church publication last month. Obama told Jewish leaders Sunday: "An award was given to Farrakhan for his work on behalf of ex-offenders completely unrelated to his controversial statements. And I believe that was a mistake and showed a lack of sensitivity to the Jewish community and I said so."

Farrakhan did not endorse Obama but said Sunday: "This young man is the hope of the entire world that America will change and be made better." Asked Tuesday night whether he would accept support from Farrakhan, Obama said: "I live in Chicago. He lives in Chicago. I've been very clear, in terms of me believing that what he has said is reprehensible and inappropriate. And I have consistently distanced myself from him."

Following an exchange with Clinton, he then added: "There's no formal offer of help from Minister Farrakhan that would involve me rejecting it. But if the word 'reject' Senator Clinton feels is stronger than the word 'denounce,' then I'm happy to concede the point, and I would reject and denounce."

(This version CORRECTS to show that elementary school in Jakarta was not Catholic.))

I like the URL to this story too. "Obama Muslim myth". As i've said repeatedly though, the far right though likes to deal in myth as per Leo Strauss and neoconseratism. Whether it's against someone or for their own particular worldview.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
So, basically, the moral of this story is that the GOP is treating Obama better than Clinton and certain other members of his own party are.

Our party is truly the party of inclusion. Thank you for pointing his out, whomod.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Depends if you're listening to Karl Rove and John McCain or if you and Rove and McCain are just paying lip service and things will continue as they are and have been.

Seeing you're still using "Hussein" in your title, you're full of shit.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Hillary has fired people for going that route so I don't see how you can say she was ever for those tactics. Rove isn't for better treatment though, I think he knows that type of thing isn't going to help McCain win.

Fair play!
Page 19 of 94 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard