Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
I said it privately to another of the Democrats here:

The Democrats have screwed themselves. They changed the rules, and whether they stick to excluding Florida and Michigan primary votes, or arrange some compromise, or have another primary in both states, not matter what neither Hillary or Obama will recognize the result as legitimate if either one loses, and their supporters will be pissed off and reject the result as well.

Obama's people will call it "racist".

Hillary's people will say it was done in a way that favors Obama.

The only possible cure is to have a Hillary/Obama ticket, or an Obama/Hillary ticket. And frankly, I see peace in the Middle East as more likely.

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

I think your right WB. I started out being excited about my party's prospects for the general election but I would be really surprised if my party wins this election. Then again the GOP was doomed to losing a couple of months ago as well as McCain. My feeling right now is this will be one of those elections with results similar to Dukakis & Mondale. We'll win a couple of states but the majority of them will be won by McCain.

If it's any consolation, M E M, I'm just as discouraged by McCain being the last man standing in the Republican primaries.

I think McCain is a straight shooter and an honest candidate, but that he's just gotten it wrong on a few key issues.

In 2000, I was very enthusiastic about McCain until he was leveraged aside. But since then, he has enacted McCain/Feingold campaign finance reform (which has only expanded and complicated campaign finance), praised NAFTA as "good for our country" despite its gutting us of high-paying jobs, self-reliance and industrial capacity. And advocated amnesty for illegals (that fortunately failed last year) which would have similarly complicated immigration and border security.

The electable visionaries and experienced candidates on both sides (Biden, Dodd, Richardson among the Democrats; and Romney, Brown, Gingrich and perhaps one or two others among the Republicans) are now gone from the race. And what we have left are the same two dysfunctional parties, with just the slightest veneer of offering something new. All beholden to special interests, for the ability to compete with the enormous money poured into all the competing campaigns they have to remain on a par with.

Again the question for me is: Who will deal with the financial, economic, international trade, industrial and military problems that are on the precipice of destroying us?

I'm not convinced that any of these candidates, Rep, Dem, or Independent, are up to the job.