Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts

this kinda proves that Obama is all style and no substance. these black men have become successful, much more successful than many white people i know. they realize hard work and education got them where they are, not relying on a crutch or the need to blame others for their station in life, but by going out and doing.

people like that dont arent easily swayed by the obamas and rev wrights of the world

um.. bsams.. \:-\[

Originally Posted By: Barak Obama's A More Perfect Union Speech

For the African-American community
, that path means embracing the burdens of our past without becoming victims of our past. It means continuing to insist on a full measure of justice in every aspect of American life. But it also means binding our particular grievances - for better health care, and better schools, and better jobs - to the larger aspirations of all Americans -- the white woman struggling to break the glass ceiling, the white man whose been laid off, the immigrant trying to feed his family. And it means taking full responsibility for our own lives - by demanding more from our fathers, and spending more time with our children, and reading to them, and teaching them that while they may face challenges and discrimination in their own lives, they must never succumb to despair or cynicism; they must always believe that they can write their own destiny.

Ironically, this quintessentially American - and yes, conservative - notion of self-help found frequent expression in Reverend Wright's sermons. But what my former pastor too often failed to understand is that embarking on a program of self-help also requires a belief that society can change.

The profound mistake of Reverend Wright's sermons is not that he spoke about racism in our society. It's that he spoke as if our society was static; as if no progress has been made; as if this country - a country that has made it possible for one of his own members to run for the highest office in the land and build a coalition of white and black; Latino and Asian, rich and poor, young and old -- is still irrevocably bound to a tragic past. But what we know -- what we have seen - is that America can change. That is true genius of this nation. What we have already achieved gives us hope - the audacity to hope - for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.

I know your reaction is the usual knee jerk putting your back up to the black Democratic man who you think is demanding something from you. All this half black man would want I imagine would be for you to pay attention.