Print Thread
Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38
the G-man #929897 2008-03-04 3:40 AM
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
But what did they think about McCain (since, you know, this is a thread about him, after all)?

Fuck him.
He's a faggot.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
the G-man #929947 2008-03-04 5:15 AM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
But what did they think about McCain (since, you know, this is a thread about him, after all)?

That's the funny part. Since McCain (whose campaign was written off as over a few months ago, out of money and forced to fire his campaign manager, with no funds left to pay him) is now the uncontested Republican nominee, nobody cares about McCain at this point.

Everyone's following the horse-race between H.Clinton and B.H.Obama.

And like MEM said in the Obama topic, for all the hype about this being it if Hillary doesn't win in both Texas and Ohio, it will still be close enough that Hillary can keep on going, despite what has been hyped about this being the ultimate end-all primary.

Or something like that. I'm paraphrasing.

In any case, whether or not any of these people are my candidate of choice, I don't think I've ever seen a presidential primary season like this. The guaranteed winners have been leveraged out, and Hillary Clinton may be the last. The wild-cards on both sides have risen to become the front runners.

Wonder Boy #930080 2008-03-04 8:34 PM
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignplus/20080304/ap_ca/on_the2008_trail

Quote:
More people believe Sen. John McCain's denial of an improper relationship with a lobbyist than the original story that alleged it, according to a poll released Tuesday.

PCG342 #930198 2008-03-05 1:07 AM
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

the G-man #930207 2008-03-05 1:30 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Congrats to McCain. He may not have been a favorite among many GOPers but I think he's going to be tough one to beat.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Very gracious, MEM.

the G-man #930213 2008-03-05 1:40 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
LOOKOUT MEM, G-MANS GUNNA G-FUCK YOU!

the G-man #930224 2008-03-05 1:52 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Very gracious, MEM.

Maybe a teensy bit gracious because despite some stances on issues I dissagree with I do think he's a pretty good guy. He could be your next Reagan.

Fair play!
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
LOOKOUT G-MAN HE RECIPROCATED YOUR ADVANCES!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080316/wr_nm/whitman_mccain_dc;_ylt=AuZLWjMcCgT9ktseiJ6c.kQjtBAF

Quote:
Meg Whitman, eBay Inc.'s outgoing chief executive officer, will co-chair the national presidential campaign of U.S. Senator John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee.

The organization said on Friday Whitman, 51, would play a lead role in the campaign's financing and policy development.

Since Whitman joined eBay in 1998, the 30-employee start-up has been transformed into a Fortune 500 company with nearly $8 billion in revenue.

This success made Whitman one of the most powerful women in business and earned her a ranking among Time Magazine's list of the world's most influential people.

Whitman announced in January that she would step down from the helm of eBay on March 31 and spend more time on philanthropy and politics.

She previously worked as a fund-raiser for McCain's rival, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who bowed out of the presidential race on February 7.

this is bone headed, her approval rating amongst eBay sellers is in the negative..

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Here's whomod back on 03/19/04 03:14 AM:

Originally Posted By: whomod
I've mentioned my admiration and support of McCain several times in the past. And it really has little to do with his views or political positions (many of which I disagree with) but with his character.

With McCain, I sense a genuine integrity about the man. And his brand of Republicanism I see as political and not the quasi-religious fanaticism of the neocons who are positive they know everything there is to know about an issue and the only work is to try to force all data to support their conclusions.

I can see McCain working with the Democrats, i can see him working with our allies rather than belittling and bullying his way to his goals. And I can see him admiting errors, I can see him changing his opinions rather than trying to change the facts to suit him and I can see him give as well as take. In other words, i see a leader.

And, again, on 03/25/04 06:19 AM

Now if you ran ...John McCain, i'd be running over to GOP campaign headquarters shouting HURRAH! an honest Republican ticket!!

And, more recently, on 01/17/08 04:51 AM:
South Carolina is known for its dirty politics and no one knows more about that than Senator John McCain. He suffered despicable personal attacks ...It's despicable that this sort of thing happens to anyone. Especially someone like John MCain who served honorably and suffered for his country. It's just endemic of this attitude that opponents must be destroyed at all costs.

Now, with McCain all but the official Republican candidate for president, what does our friend whomod think of the good Senator now?

The outright lies that were told by the Republican candidates during the Florida debate was astounding to me. McCain might have been the worst offender

McCain had an inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist that may have been adulterous AND may have influenced decisions on chairs that he led in the Senate...some right wingers are up in arms over it?

What a damaging week for the McCain campaign, huh? His three most “attractive” selling points — campaign finance reform, fierce anti-lobbyist stance, and support for the Glorious surge — are crumbling around him...Saint McCain’s not even the nominee yet and his three strongest legs have been taken out in a matter of 72 hours. Should make for a fun 8 months.

If the past 7 years taught us anything is that lies and malfeasance is something the conservative base has no problem with and even rewards.

...trying to defend MccAIN because of past admiration is like trying to defend the BTK killer

John McCain poses as a reformer but he seems to think reforms apply to everyone else but him… His latest attempt to ignore the law is just more of his do as I say, not as I do hypocrisy and it calls his credibility into question.

It's time to wrap up this nomination battle so we can start running against McCain.

Man, what a difference being a Republican nominee makes.

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
In comparing McCain to W.Bush, while McCain agrees with Bush on permanent tax cuts, and completing the mission in Iraq (especially now that we are winning) I don't see McCain making the kind of ideological blunders that ignore reality, as Bush did.
I see McCain as reaching out to the political center more, and not catering exclusively to the conservative base (which McCain doesn't have to rely on anyway!)

Throughout the Iraq war, McCain is labelled retrospectively by Democrats as being "just like Bush". But that's simply not true.
Along with Republican senators Luger and Hagel, and Democrats like Biden and Levin, McCain has constantly pressed Bush publicly over the last 5 years to change to a winning strategy in Iraq and fire Defense Secretary Rumsfeld, replacing the Defense Secretary with someone else who would regain the confidence of the House and Senate, of our troops in the field, and of the American public. Which finally happened after Nov 2006, with new secretary Robert Gates.
And since then, the war in Iraq has improved dramatically, to the point that even Pulitzer-winning reporters for the New York Times (John Burns) and Iraqis polled, cannot deny the vast improvement in the security situation there.

McCain, like W. Bush, advocated staying in Iraq to finish the job. But unlike Bush, McCain didn't have loyalty to incompetents that he refused to fire, and pressed Bush every step of the way to fire Rumsfeld.

Whereas the Democrat response among the candidates has been retreat retreat retreat, withdraw withdraw, and abandon the Iraqis, across the board.
McCain, on that issue, by the success evident now, is to only one who got that issue right.

The new liberal mantra regarding McCain is "Just like Bush".
But that's a deliberate misrepresentation.

McCain has his problems, on campaign finance, NAFTA and particularly immigration/amnesty. But he's not "just like Bush".

Wonder Boy #933710 2008-03-18 8:20 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
To whomod, even Hillary is "just like Bush."

the G-man #933790 2008-03-19 2:00 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
As we all know, McCain is using taxpayer dollars to undertake a campaign trip around the world. And, it is a campaign photo op. Yesterday, McCain got confused over the most basic facts about who is doing what in Iraq and Iran. Very basic stuff:

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, traveling in the Middle East to promote his foreign policy expertise, misidentified in remarks Tuesday which broad category of Iraqi extremists are allegedly receiving support from Iran.

He said several times that Iran, a predominately Shiite country, was supplying the mostly Sunni militant group, al-Qaeda. In fact, officials have said they believe Iran is helping Shiite extremists in Iraq.

Speaking to reporters in Amman, the Jordanian capital, McCain said he and two Senate colleagues traveling with him continue to be concerned about Iranian operatives "taking al-Qaeda into Iran, training them and sending them back."

Wait. Isn't Iraq supposed to be McCain's strong suit? So much for that lifetime of experience constantly attributed to McCain by Hillary Clinton.

McCain's major mistake wasn't a one-time thing. According to the Huffington Post, McCain made the same incorrect statements about al Qaeda on the Hugh Hewitt show -- and they've got the audio:

Quote:
As you know, there are Al Qaeda operatives that are taken back into Iran, given training as leaders, and they're moving back into Iraq.

Al Qaeda is Sunni. Iran is Shiite. That's a pretty big mistake for someone who is supposed to be so steeped in foreign policy and Iraq.

What if Clinton or Obama had made this mistake?

Now the traditional media types have it in their heads that McCain knows foreign policy inside out. That's wrong.

Pressed to elaborate, McCain said it was "common knowledge and has been reported in the media that al-Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran, that's well known. And it's unfortunate." A few moments later, Sen. Joseph Lieberman, standing just behind McCain, stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate's ear. McCain then said: "I'm sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al-Qaeda."

The mistake threatened to undermine McCain's argument that his decades of foreign policy experience make him the natural choice to lead a country at war with terrorists. In recent days, McCain has repeatedly said his intimate knowledge of foreign policy make him the best equipped to answer a phone ringing in the White House late at night.

Not so ready for that phone call after all.

So we learn that the volatile Senator doesn't know the basics -- the very basics -- about Sunnis and Shiites. He made the mistake by linking Al Qaeda and Iran. No doubt, McCain thinks that's a good, scary talking point, but he's wrong. His new adviser, Karl Rove, probably told him to do it anyway.

whomod #933798 2008-03-19 4:21 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:

What if Clinton or Obama had made this mistake?

There would have been a news story, just as was the case here.

You might recall, for example, the gaffe in which Obama threatened to attack Pakistan. It was reported, there was criticism, but it was quickly forgotten

This seems, if anything, less extreme a gaffe, as it involves a slip of the tongue, not a statement of intentional bellicosity against a sometimes ally.

the G-man #933800 2008-03-19 4:29 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
G-Man, the fact that McCain made identical remarks on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show as well makes it clear McCain was not guilty of simply a "slip of the tounge" What’s more, McCain corrected himself only after Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) “stepped forward and whispered in the presidential candidate’s ear.”

A video by CNN shows that McCain repeated the inaccurate claim twice during the same press conference, bringing his total number of "slips of the tounge" to three.

I don't want to open the door to allegations of age discrimination (or to allegations of defending McCain in some way, for that matter), but it did cross my mind that these mistakes could also be products of age. The travel and time schedules of a presidential campaign are brutally taxing even for the sprightliest of contenders. McCain's 71. They don't call them senior moments for nothing. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it's possible he misspoke rather than really didn't know. I do, however, think the juxtaposition of age is going to be BIG come the general election - especially if Obama wins the democratic nomination. In case you missed SNL this weekend, even they hit on the issue in a skit that declared McCain officially "crazy old." (If I can find a clip online, I will be happy to post it. Haven't had luck unearthing it yet.)

whomod #933816 2008-03-19 7:28 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
thank you rev. wright.

whomod #933823 2008-03-19 7:38 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But McCain may not be wrong to suggest that Iran is backing Sunni as well as Shiite terrorists in Iraq.

As the Wall Street Journal noted in January 2007, American intelligence had unearthed documents in Iraq suggesting cooperation between Iran's Quds ("Jerusalem") force and people affiliated with al Qaeda in Iraq, among other Sunni groups, confirming the suspicion of Iraqi liberal Mithal al-Alusi that Iran was playing both sides in Iraq.

And according to a July 2007 New York Sun article:
  • One of two known Al Qaeda leadership councils meets regularly in eastern Iran, where the American intelligence community believes dozens of senior Al Qaeda leaders have reconstituted a good part of the terror conglomerate's senior leadership structure.

That is a consensus judgment from a final working draft of a new National Intelligence Estimate, titled "The Terrorist Threat to the U.S. Homeland," on the organization that attacked the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

Like any intelligence, this may be a mistake, disinformation or otherwise false or not the whole truth. But the notion that because Iran is a "Shiite country" it would never cooperate with Sunni extremists is simpleminded nonsense. Iraq is majority-Shiite too, and the two countries fought a brutal war for eight years in the 1980s. Political alliances do not always follow the lines of sectarian or other natural affinities.

Either way, it's hardly proof of old age or disingenuousness on McCain's part.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
thank you rev. wright.

I prefer Rev. Run.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #933828 2008-03-19 7:49 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time
It's Tricky...

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
You be illin'.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #933831 2008-03-19 8:16 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Here's whomod back on 03/19/04 03:14 AM:

I've mentioned my admiration and support of McCain several times in the past. And it really has little to do with his views or political positions (many of which I disagree with) but with his character.

With McCain, I sense a genuine integrity about the man. And his brand of Republicanism I see as political and not the quasi-religious fanaticism of the neocons who are positive they know everything there is to know about an issue and the only work is to try to force all data to support their conclusions.

I can see McCain working with the Democrats, i can see him working with our allies rather than belittling and bullying his way to his goals. And I can see him admiting errors, I can see him changing his opinions rather than trying to change the facts to suit him and I can see him give as well as take. In other words, i see a leader.

And, again, on 03/25/04 06:19 AM

Now if you ran ...John McCain, i'd be running over to GOP campaign headquarters shouting HURRAH! an honest Republican ticket!!

And, more recently, on 01/17/08 04:51 AM:
South Carolina is known for its dirty politics and no one knows more about that than Senator John McCain. He suffered despicable personal attacks ...It's despicable that this sort of thing happens to anyone. Especially someone like John MCain who served honorably and suffered for his country. It's just endemic of this attitude that opponents must be destroyed at all costs.

Now, with McCain all but the official Republican candidate for president, what does our friend whomod think of the good Senator now?

The outright lies that were told by the Republican candidates during the Florida debate was astounding to me. McCain might have been the worst offender

McCain had an inappropriate relationship with a lobbyist that may have been adulterous AND may have influenced decisions on chairs that he led in the Senate...some right wingers are up in arms over it?

What a damaging week for the McCain campaign, huh? His three most “attractive” selling points — campaign finance reform, fierce anti-lobbyist stance, and support for the Glorious surge — are crumbling around him...Saint McCain’s not even the nominee yet and his three strongest legs have been taken out in a matter of 72 hours. Should make for a fun 8 months.

If the past 7 years taught us anything is that lies and malfeasance is something the conservative base has no problem with and even rewards.

...trying to defend MccAIN because of past admiration is like trying to defend the BTK killer

John McCain poses as a reformer but he seems to think reforms apply to everyone else but him… His latest attempt to ignore the law is just more of his do as I say, not as I do hypocrisy and it calls his credibility into question.

It's time to wrap up this nomination battle so we can start running against McCain.

I don't want to open the door to allegations of age discrimination (or to allegations of defending McCain in some way, for that matter), but it did cross my mind that these mistakes could also be products of age...McCain's 71. They don't call them senior moments for nothing.

Man, what a difference being a Republican nominee makes.

the G-man #933841 2008-03-19 9:40 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

whomod #933842 2008-03-19 9:42 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I hope you realize that I generally don't bother to click on any youtube video unless some sort of description of it is included in the post.

the G-man #933878 2008-03-20 12:05 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think he linked to another cheech and chong bit...

Irwin Schwab #933885 2008-03-20 12:17 AM
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Nobody kicks whomod's ass better than whomod.

"Are you eating it...or is it eating you?"

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com] [/center]

[center][Linked Image from i13.photobucket.com][/center]
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
i think he linked to another cheech and chong bit...

Yes, but was McCain 'Cheech' or was it Lieberman?

whomod #933944 2008-03-20 10:27 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
your an Obama supporter so i expect you to bash the jewish Lieberman...

the G-man #933955 2008-03-20 12:17 PM
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Like any intelligence, this may be a mistake, disinformation or otherwise false or not the whole truth. But the notion that because Iran is a "Shiite country" it would never cooperate with Sunni extremists is simpleminded nonsense. Iraq is majority-Shiite too, and the two countries fought a brutal war for eight years in the 1980s. Political alliances do not always follow the lines of sectarian or other natural affinities.

Saddam Hussein and his clan were Sunni, so your point is irrelevant. Yes, the Sunni was and still is a minority in Iraq, but during Hussein's and his Baath Party's regime, they were in charge. Which I thought you already knew.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Earlier this month, Northrop Grumman and the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. (EADS), the parent company of France-based Airbus, won a $40 billion Air Force tanker contract, beating out Boeing, DOD’s usual go-to company for Air Force contracts. Some of Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) presidential campaign advisers lobbied for EADS while actions by McCain himself helped the deal go through. The contract would create thousands of jobs for Airbus and thus the French have a message for McCain: “Merci.” Watch this new video from the Campaign for America’s Future:

whomod #934227 2008-03-21 8:02 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
According to CBS News

Quote:
Last week, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the EADS-Northrop Gruman plane was “clearly a better performer” than the one proposed by Boeing.

In other words, McCain favored giving the contract to the company that built a better plane. whomod apparently favors giving it to the company that built an inferior plane.

I think McCain deserves credit for sticking up for quality and the safety of our armed forces.

I think whomod deserves scorn for wanting our armed forces to have substandard equipment. Once again, we see that liberals hate the troops.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
So G-man thinks the French work force is superior to American workers.

Why do you support outsourcing American jobs?

Why do you hate America?

whomod #934229 2008-03-21 8:35 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I realize that you think you're being terribly clever here. But you're not. You're just displaying your partisanship.

According to CBS, the contract was given to the most qualified vendor. I wish it had been a US company but it wasn't. I don't believe in protectionism, and I certainly don't think it should trump the safety of our armed forces. Likewise, it appears that McCain's involvement was to see that quality, not political connections, were considered in awarding the contract.

As such, you're attacking a McCain for advocating that a government contract be awarded to the most qualified vendor.

Not only is what you're attacking a good practice, but it's generally the law. Typically, when evaluating a contract, the government has to award to the lowest "responsible" bidder. This means the bidder with, for example, the best track record for quality.

There have been a lot of stories over the past few years of our troops sometimes having substandard equipment. I'd like to think you agree that is wrong, no matter what party occupies the White House.

In fact, take the troops out of the equation. Do you really want any human beings flying in aircraft of lesser quality?

In short, you're advocating that a candidate put his own interests (in this case political) over the safety of human beings and the finanical interests of the taxpayers.

McCain, on the other hand, is putting the taxpayers and lives ahead of his short term interests. That's the type of thing we should admire. It's also the type of thing you used to claim you admired him for...before he became the nominee, of course.

the G-man #934234 2008-03-21 9:45 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
I realize that you think you're being terribly clever here. But you're not. You're just displaying your partisanship.

I would say the same for you. Look, like it or not, outsourcing such a big contract and during an election cycle no less is an issue. Your points are certainly well thought out, written and articulated but lets say Hillary Clinton had done this? Would you be so thoughtful and articulate then? I seriously doubt it.

Sometimes, especially during an election, the legal and routine thing to do doesn't trump was it the right thing to do. And seriously, I don't think Americans are incapable of making a plane that is just as safe. It may cost a bit more but then again, aren't we giving away money next month to try to stimulate the economy? With the plane contract staying at home and actually being spent employing American workers, I'd call it money better used.

whomod #934235 2008-03-21 9:56 PM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
McCain seems to be having some Reagan moments in this campaign. Unfortunately they're not the flattering kind.

Quote:
Lieberman corrects McCain's Purim gaffe

Published: 03/20/2008

U.S. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said Purim is the Jewish version of Halloween during his Israel visit.

McCain was corrected by Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), one of the Republican presidential nominee's chief supporters who accompanied him on the trip, according to MSNBC.

In a news conference Wednesday with Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak following a tour of the besieged southern Israeli city of Sderot, McCain had noted the impact of continued rocket fire on the city's children.

"As they celebrate their version of Halloween here, they are somewhere close to a 15-second warning, which is the amount of time they have from the time the rocket is launched to get to safety," McCain said. "That's not a way for people to live obviously."

Lieberman at the news conference said the fault was his, as he had compared the two holidays in explaining its significance to McCain.

McCain’s mistake wasn’t a big deal. But what is interesting is Lieberman's role during this trip. In two days, Lieberman has intervened twice in front of the press -- once helping McCain with a correction on Sunnis/Shiites and once putting the blame on himself regarding the description of Purim.

Lieberman seems to now be McCain's Nancy to McCain's increasingly addle headed Ron.

whomod #934239 2008-03-21 10:38 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I understand that one of the liberal/DNC talking points against McCain is going to be his age. I'm not sure how hard you/they want to push that, however, given that senior citizens tend to vote in pretty large numbers and given how well it worked (or didn't) against Reagan.

In regards to your more substantive point

Look, like it or not, outsourcing such a big contract and during an election cycle no less is an issue. Your points are certainly well thought out, written and articulated but lets say Hillary Clinton had done this? Would you be so thoughtful and articulate then? I seriously doubt it.

I think the record will reflect that I've defended Hillary against Obama sometimes and vice versa, depending on whether I think one or the other is right on a particular issue.

But more importantly, when you have to resort to "you'd do the same thing" it's usually a good sign that you've lost an argument. And that's the case here.

The simple fact of the matter is, as noted above, the law requires the government to award contracts to the lowest responsible bidder. You postulate that the US could make as good a plane (for more money) but that's just guess work on your part. And it's the kind of guess work that, if allowed, can lead to all sorts of abuses and favoritism. None of which is good for our country.

But most telling is your admission that:

Quote:
like it or not, outsourcing such a big contract and during an election cycle no less is an issue....

With this comment, you are essentially admitting that this is about partisan politics, not good government. You want the "legal and routine" to be trumped by a particular end, even if it isn't the ethical one. You're admitting that you think this should be an election issue even if McCain did nothing wrong.

In other words, you're displaying your partisanship.

the G-man #934331 2008-03-22 8:55 AM
5000+ posts
5000+ posts

Sunday's New York Times Magazine is going to have the bombshell that it was in fact McCain that actively courted Hagee's endorsement and not the other way around. Which is funny since I thought this news was old. Considering I think I mentioned it weeks ago.

whomod #934335 2008-03-22 1:15 PM
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
oh no. if the new york times publishes this then all is lost. I'm sure so many people will give a flying fuck.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
whomod #934336 2008-03-22 2:13 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
McCain... actively courted Hagee's endorsement...I think I mentioned it weeks ago.

I think you did. And I think that, like your cartoon above, it was an attempt to draw a parallel between McCain and Obama where one doesn't really exist.

And, in that respect, I think the general response here was that it was still a far cry from: (a) attending the man's church for twenty years; (b) appointing him the campaign's "spiritual advisor,"; (c) having him baptize his children; (d) naming a book after one of his sermons.

So, other than the fact that you got your ass handed to you yesterday for trying to attack McCain for upholding the competitive bidding laws and need to change the subject, is there a reason to bring it up again?

Page 8 of 38 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 37 38

Link Copied to Clipboard