Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
As I understand it, the states that fucked up in the first place don't want to pay for the revote (among other issues). Under law, each state pays for their own primary. Therefore, unless and until FL and MI decide to do that, they can't even get to the point of going to the DNC for permission on how to have the votes count.

But that's just what I seem to recall. I didn't really research the issue so there may be more to it (and, by more, I mean something substantive on the law, not "Hillary cheated" or "Obama is trying to disenfranchise people").

Also, according to at least one news story, contrary to what MEM seems to be saying, the people in Florida aren't that eager to revote anyway:
  • Last week... party officials in Florida had proposed a repeat presidential primary on June 3 that would combine mail-in ballots with in-person voting.

But [Congresswoman Karen Thurman, chair of the Florida Democratic Party] said the party was swamped with thousands of responses from voters who voiced opposition to a revote, and noted that several counties "do not have the capacity to handle a major election before the June 10th DNC primary deadline."

"The consensus is clear: Florida doesn't want to vote again. So we won't," she said.

Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

I think that's a case of many feeling their original primary should count. Obama says nope that's not fair. He also didn't support a revote. So what option does he leave them with? So far he's suggested splitting the delegates evenly. This would be changing the rules but since it favors him by getting delegates that would have been Hillarys, it's ok by anyone who was upset that Hillary asked for the delegates to be seated. It's because it helps the candidate they like...because he's so great

I have to agree with M E M.

The tendency is to blame Hillary, when Obama is just as much to blame for this impasse.

And we can't blame Michigan and Florida for holding their Democratic primaries early against the will of the DNC's own rules?

Why blame either cadidate? The states defied the DNC in some attempt to be more influential and fucked themselves. If anyone disenfranchised the citizens of those states, it's the states themselves.

Ideally, i'd just have them re-vote, especially since Obama wasn't even on the ballot in Michigan and still managed to do quite well under the 'other candidate' slot. Having him officially on the ballot so people could actually vote for him and having the voters decide now that he's gained more momentum would only help him.
Barring that, which seems likely on account of recent decisions, I say split the delegates or just leave it as a lesson learned for these 2 states.

And WB, I don't see why you think that the guy who's the Democratic front runner, with more delegates is somehow in the wrong to reject the Vice Presidency and hand the Presidenial nomination to Hillary, the person trailing in 2nd place. Like that makes any sense.