Originally Posted By: whomod
says she shouldn't be answering the phone at 3am

It's a story that the American media, save for Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow and Pat Buchanan (in the post debate clips I posted) totally ignored. Our wonderful "independent" reporters collectively decided last week that it simply wasn't news that Hillary revealed she'd be nuking Iran if they attacked Israel, and that it wasn't news that she'd like to extend the US nuclear umbrella to Israel's neighbors. That means we'd be nuking Iran if they attacked Jordan, Egypt, maybe even Saudi Arabia. Show of hands: How many Americans are willing to start a nuclear war for the Saudis?

Well, it seems even the Saudis aren't too keen on the idea. They criticized Hillary this week, we learn via a Boston Globe editorial entitled "Hillary Strangelove" (the Globe is one of the few American papers to even write about this issue). They said she was as stupid as Bush:

Quote:
The Saudi paper called Clinton's nuclear threat "the foreign politics of the madhouse," saying, "it demonstrates the same doltish ignorance that has distinguished Bush's foreign relations."

A British Foreign Ministry official wasn't very pleased either:

Quote:
"While it is reasonable to warn Iran of the consequences of it continuing to develop nuclear weapons and what those real consequences bring to its security, it is probably not prudent in today's world to threaten to obliterate any other country and in many cases civilians resident in such a country."

The Globe says that Hillary has done real damage to the reform effort in Iran:

Quote:
While Clinton has hammered Obama for supporting military strikes in Pakistan, her comments on Iran are much more far-reaching. She seems not to realize that she undermined Iranian reformists and pragmatists. The Iranian people have been more favorable to America than any other in the Gulf region or the Middle East.

A presidential candidate who lightly commits to obliterating Iran - and, presumably, all the children, parents, and grandparents in Iran - should not be answering the White House phone at any time of day or night.

One Defense expert, Dr. Jeffrey Lewis Director of the Nuclear Strategy and Nonproliferation Initiative at the New America Foundation, commented on Hillary's nuke-Iran proposal: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

It'll be fun to hear MEM spin this one.

While Hillary Clinton's diplomatic skills can be questioned, extending the nuclear umbrella to the Middle East is an excellent idea. A pity no one came up with that before Israel, Iran and Syria started their nuclear programs. (One of the reasons Sweden and Germany stopped our respective atom bomb programs was the US nuclear umbrella.) While Israel and Saudi-Arabia can be critizised for numerous things, they're still "your" (and therefor "our") allies, and should get equal treatment as other allies (read: NATO) when it comes to defending their country.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!