Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 94 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 93 94
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Well, so much for the superdelegates....

Quote:
Obama closing in on Clinton's advantage among superdelegates

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - Barack Obama is closing in on Democratic presidential rival Hillary Rodham Clinton's advantage among superdelegates, building on his lead in the primary race even as he faces troubled times.

Party leaders are encouraging superdelegates to pick a side by late June to prevent the fight from going to the national convention in August, and it seems some are listening as the race enters its final five weeks of voting.

Chelsea Clinton got a superdelegate for her mom while campaigning in Puerto Rico on Wednesday, just as Obama press secretary Bill Burton sent out a statement announcing the support of Rep. Lois Capps. The statement didn't mention the personal connection — Capps is Burton's mother-in-law.

Clinton had a big jump start among superdelegates, many of whom have ties to the Clintons and backed her candidacy early on. But most of the superdelegates taking sides recently have gone for Obama, who has won more state contests.

Obama trails Clinton by just 21 superdelegates, 243-264, cutting her lead in half in less than two months. This week, he picked up seven delegates to her four.

Well there gos that avenue to steal the nomination. I guess Hillary will now have to turn logic and the primary process upside down now and argue that the popular vote determines the winner of the primaries as of now and that she leads in that even though it's only because Obama wasn't on a ballot in Michigan.

Anything to win, eh MEM? ;\)

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: whomod

Well there gos that avenue to steal the nomination. I guess Hillary will now have to turn logic and the primary process upside down now and argue that the popular vote determines the winner of the primaries as of now and that she leads in that even though it's only because Obama wasn't on a ballot in Michigan.

I don't really understand how Hillary would be stealling the election if superdelegates end up choosing her over Obama. Their practically tied & now it may be becoming a case where everyone is reallizing how unelectable Obama is.

BTW the rules didn't include that Obama take his name off the ballot in MI. Kind of shows poor judgement on his part IMHO.

Fair play!
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Lyer?

Obama has a fade. I think you're thinking of Sharpton. He's the guy with the hair relaxer.

racist.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

I don't really understand how Hillary would be stealling the election if superdelegates end up choosing her over Obama. Their practically tied & now it may be becoming a case where everyone is reallizing how unelectable Obama is.

BTW the rules didn't include that Obama take his name off the ballot in MI. Kind of shows poor judgement on his part IMHO.

Mem, EVERYONE of the Democratic candidates took their name off the ballot except Hillary Clinton. Which shows what a disengenous underhanded sport she is.

BTW....

It seems more people are concerned about Hillary's capaign talk versus um... reality more than they're bothered by Rev. Wright. As far as Obama is concerned, his "bitter" comment ranked higher than the Wright story did. Which I'm sure is comforting based on how hard the bsams and the punditry have been pushing it. I guess people are more concerned about REAL issues, like Obama says than manufactured crap that politicians and pundits routinely sling about and tell us matters more than their own interests.

Quote:
* 36 percent have major concerns that Clinton seems to change her position on some issues (like driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants and the North American Free Trade Agreement, which her husband signed but which she now opposes)
* 34 percent say they’re bothered by Obama’s “bitter” remarks
* 32 percent have a major problem with the Illinois senator’s past associations with Wright and the 1960s radical William Ayers
* 27 percent have serious concerns that Bill Clinton would have too much influence on U.S. policy decisions if his wife is elected

and although it's still close, Obama is still scoring higher against McCain than Hillary.

Quote:
this latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey shows Obama besting McCain by only three points (46-43 percent) and Clinton topping the Arizona senator by only one (45-44 percent).

But that's okay, I'm sure Hillary will find some more dirt under some rock to permanently ruin Obama's chances as she is now obviously campaigning for 2012.

The only thing I can recommend is for you to stop drinking Hillary's Kool-Aid.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
You do reallize Whomod that Obama & the other candidates besides Hillary took their name of the MI ballot at the last minute. Strategically at the time I would imagine it was to suck up to IA & NH primary voters. Plus when primary time came, Obama supporters ran a campaign to vote for Obama by choosing undecided. Yeah that Hillary was just awful for staying on the ballot

Fair play!
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
Obama's Negatives Rise, Clinton Tops McCain in New Poll

April 30, 2008 6:40 PM
ABC News' Ed O'Keefe Reports: Barack Obama's recent woes may be having an effect in the polls.
A new CBS/New York Times poll released on Wednesday shows Sen. Obama, D-Ill., and presumptive Republican nominee Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., tied in a hypothetical general election match-up, while Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., edges out McCain by a five-point margin.
Here are raw CBS/New York Times numbers now (among registered voters):
If the candidates were Obama and McCain, who would you vote for?
Obama: 45%
McCain: 45%
Undecided/Don't Know: 6%
If the candidates were Clinton and McCain, who would you vote for?
Clinton: 48%
McCain: 43%
Undecided/Don't Know: 5%
"Barack Obama's problems over the last few weeks, including his Pennsylvania primary loss and the continuing media coverage of his former pastor Rev. Jeremiah Wright, may have contributed to his weaker position compared to two weeks ago," read an analysis released by CBS and the New York Times.
Since their last poll four weeks ago, unfavorable views of Obama have risen 10% -- from 24% a month ago to 34% at present.  Obama's woes also appear to know few demographic bounds -- unfavorable views of Obama have risen among women, whites, independents and Democrats, according to CBS News and the New York Times.
Here are the raw CBS/New York Times numbers as of their last poll on April 3, 2008 (among registered voters):
If the candidates were Obama and McCain, who would you vote for?
Obama: 47%
McCain: 42%
Undecided/Don't Know: 7%
If the candidates were Clinton and McCain, who would you vote for?
Clinton: 48%
McCain: 43%
Undecided/Don't Know: 5%
An Associated Press-Ipsos poll released Monday found similar results.
In that poll, Clinton leads McCain by 9-points, 50-41, in a hypothetical general election match-up.  Obama, on the other hand, is "virtually tied" with McCain, at 46-44 percent. 

ABCnews

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
It's amazing that Hillary always coming out in 2nd place behind Obama only proves to you, time and again how unelectable he is compared to her.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It's amazing that Hillary always coming out in 2nd place behind Obama only proves to you, time and again how unelectable he is compared to her.

The problem with that statement is that it's Obama that has been coming in 2nd lately. He had a nice winning streak in the middle but that's over. Now if he doesn't win Indiana & North Carolina he's in for an even rougher ride.

Fair play!
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Former DNC Chair Switches Teams:Joe Andrew, who endorsed Clinton early in her campaign, now says a vote for Hillary is 'a vote that assists John McCain'.

Andrew is also a superdelegate.

As mentioned before, it is somewhat telling that so many people who worked closely with Bill and Hillary (such as Andrew and Richardson) are throwing their support to Barack Hussein Obama.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Former DNC Chair Switches Teams:Joe Andrew, who endorsed Clinton early in her campaign, now says a vote for Hillary is 'a vote that assists John McCain'.

Andrew is also a superdelegate.

As mentioned before, it is somewhat telling that so many people who worked closely with Bill and Hillary (such as Andrew and Richardson) are throwing their support to Barack Hussein Obama.

I'm not sure how telling Andrew's "switch" is. He lavished praise when he endorsed Hillary Clinton, now when she's beating McCain in the polls while Obama is only matching him Andrew claims supporting Hillary is assisting McCain. Considering how much the race has changed since Hillary's PA win I guess I don't understand why he would now do a 180 & back the other guy.

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
sour grapes MEM?

Hillary can't even hold on to her husbands cabinet members and former supporters!!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
sour grapes MEM?

Hillary can't even hold on to her husbands cabinet members and former supporters!!

Not really. After all this is a guy who lavished praise on Hillary when he endorsed her. Perhaps in a week or two he'll be back to being for Hillary.

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
sour grapes MEM?

Not really. After all this is a guy who lavished praise on Hillary when he endorsed her. Perhaps in a week or two he'll be back to being for Hillary.

Joe Andrew, the former DNC Chair, who switched to Barack Obama last night, penned this letter below to the uncommitted superdelegates.

Originally Posted By: Joe Andrew
May 1, 2008

Dear Friends:

I have been inspired.

Today I am announcing my support for Senator Barack Obama for President of the United States of America. I am changing my support from Senator Clinton to Senator Obama, and calling for my fellow Democrats across my home State of Indiana, and my fellow super delegates across the nation, to heal the rift in our Party and unite behind Barack Obama.

The hardest decisions in life are not between good and bad or right and wrong, but between two goods or two rights. That is the decision Democrats face today. We have an embarrassment of riches, but as much as we may love our candidates and revel in the political process that has brought Presidential politics to places that have not seen it in a generation, we cannot let our family affair hurt America by helping John McCain.

Here is my message, explained in this lengthy letter that I hope is perceived as a thoughtful analysis of how to save America from four more years of the misguided polices of the past: you can be for someone without being against someone else. You can unite behind a candidate and a vision for America without rejecting another candidate and their vision, because in real life, opposed to party politics, we Democrats are on the same side. The battle should not be amongst ourselves. Rather, we should focus our efforts on those who are truly on the opposite side: those who want to continue the failed policies of the last eight years, rather than bring real change to Washington. Let us come together right now behind an inspiring leader who not only has the audacity to challenge the old divisive politics, but the audacity to make us all hope for a better America.

Unite the Party Now

I believe that Bill Clinton will be remembered as one of our nation's great Presidents, and Senator Clinton as one of our nation's great public servants. But as much as I respect and admire them both, it is clear that a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote to continue this process, and a vote to continue this process is a vote that assists John McCain.

I ask Hoosiers to come together and vote for Barack Obama to be our next President. In an accident of timing, Indiana has been given the opportunity to truly make a difference. Hoosiers should grab that power and do what in their heart they know is right. They should reject the old negative politics and vote for true change. Don't settle for the tried and true and the simplistic slogans, but listen to your heart and dare to be inspired. Only a cynic would be critical of Barack Obama inspiring millions. Only the uninformed could forget that the candidate that wins in November is always the candidate that inspires millions.

I ask the leaders of our Party to come together after this Tuesday's primary to heal wounds and unite us around a single nominee. While I was hopeful that a long, contested primary season would invigorate our Party, the polls show that the tone and temperature of the race is now hurting us. John McCain, without doing much of anything, is now competitive against both of our remaining candidates. We are doing his work for him and distracting Americans from the issues that really affect all of our lives.

We need to be talking about fixing the economy, not whose acquaintances once said what to whom. We need to be talking about stopping the attacks in Iraq, not stopping the attacks in Indiana. We need to be talking about policy, not politics.

Barack Obama is the Right Candidate for Right Now

While I am a longtime critic of our Party's rules that created so-called super delegates, we have the rules we have and we must live with them. I am humbled and honored to be a super delegate, and I understand the seriousness of the duty it entails. I recognize that this is a difficult decision for super delegates like me, who owe so much to President Bill Clinton. It is right to be loyal, to be grateful and to be consistent. But it is also right to acknowledge the inevitability of change, right to dare to dream for a better world, and right to know what in your heart is the right thing for the future even if your friends and family disagree. Good things, just like good people, can disagree. But as Democrats, we must disagree with dignity, debate with admiration of each other, and in the end, go forward with mutual respect.

President Clinton and Vice President Gore gave me the opportunity to serve as the Chair of the Democratic Party. I pledged my loyalty to them, and I will never forget Al Gore putting ego aside, gently demurring, and simply asking me to put our country ahead of politics. It is a lesson I will remember forever, and it is what guides me now in this decision. What is best for our Party and our country is not blind loyalty, but passionate support for the candidate who can best correct the misguided policies of the last eight years.

We need a candidate who will re-invigorate the economy and keep good jobs here in America. We need a candidate who will end the war in Iraq. We need a candidate who will provide health coverage for our 45 million uninsured neighbors. We need a candidate who will end our addiction to high-priced foreign oil by investing in renewable energy here at home.

That candidate is Barack Obama.

What was best for America sixteen years ago was electing Bill Clinton. What would have been best for America eight years ago was not only electing Al Gore, which we did, but allowing him to serve as President of the United States. Imagine how the world would be different if Al Gore and not George Bush, would have been President of the United States. Let's seize the opportunity and vote for someone who like Al Gore, was against the war from the beginning, and who brings a new energy, a new excitement, and a new politics to our country.

Let’s put things right.

Time to Act

Many will ask, why now? Why, with several primaries still remaining, with Senator Clinton just winning Pennsylvania, with my friend Evan Bayh working hard to make sure Senator Clinton wins Indiana, why switch now? Why call for super delegates to come together now to constructively pick a president?

The simple answer is that while the timing is hard for me personally, it is best for America. We simply cannot wait any longer, nor can we let this race fall any lower and still hope to win in November. June or July may be too late. The time to act is now.

I write this letter from my mom's dining room table in Indianapolis, Indiana. Four generations of my family have argued and laughed around this table. But what I humbly believe today is that we, as Democrats and as Americans, face what Dr. King characterized and what Senator Obama reminds us is the fierce urgency of now. As a nation, we are at a critical moment and we need leaders with the character and vision to see us through the challenges at hand and those to come. I can't guess what will happen tomorrow, so I can't tell you what kind of experience our next President will need to have to deal with those challenges. But I can tell you what kind of character and vision they will need to have -- and that is what inspires me about Barack Obama.

As Democrats, however, we risk letting this moment slip through our fingers. We risk ceding the field to the Republicans and allowing the morally bankrupt Bush Agenda to continue unabated if we do not unite behind a single candidate. Should this race continue after Indiana and North Carolina, it will inevitably become more negative. The polls already show the supporters for both candidates becoming more strident in their positions and more locked into their support. Continuing on this path would be a catastrophe, as we would inadvertently end up doing Republicans work for them. Already, instead of the audacity of hope, we suffer the audacity of one Democrat comparing John McCain favorably to another Democrat. When that happens, you know it is time for all of us to stop, take a deep breath and unite to change America.

We must act and we must act now.

The Problems of the Process: 2000 and 2008

When Al Gore got a half million more votes than George Bush in 2000, yet the Electoral College elected George Bush President, we saw the absurdity of any system that does not elect the person who gets the most votes. That is why the Democratic Party's nomination process is flawed. I will continue to fight for a 2012 process where there are only primaries, and which ever Democrat gets the most votes becomes our nominee. Delegates should decide the party platform -- voters should decide who our nominee is.

But we are struck with this absurd system for 2008, and, flawed though it may be, we must work within it without betraying the voice of the people. No amount of spin or sleight of hand can deny the fact that where there has been competition, Senator Obama has won more votes, more States and more delegates than any other candidate. Only the super delegates can award the nomination to Senator Clinton, but to do so risks doing to our Party in 2008 what Republicans did to our country in 2000. Let us be intellectually consistent and unite behind Barack Obama.

A New Era of Politics

My endorsement of Senator Obama will not be welcome news to my friends and family at the Clinton campaign. If the campaign's surrogates called Governor Bill Richardson, a respected former member of President Clinton's cabinet, a "Judas" for endorsing Senator Obama, we can all imagine how they will treat somebody like me. They are the best practitioners of the old politics, so they will no doubt call me a traitor, an opportunist and a hypocrite. I will be branded as disloyal, power-hungry, but most importantly, they will use the exact words that Republicans used to attack me when I was defending President Clinton.

When they use the same attacks made on me when I was defending them, they prove the callow hypocrisy of the old politics first perfected by Republicans. I am an expert on this because these were the exact tools that I mastered as a campaign volunteer, a campaign manager, a State Party Chair and the National Chair of our Party. I learned the lessons of the tough, right-wing Republicans all too well. I can speak with authority on how to spar with everyone from Lee Atwater to Karl Rove. I understand that, while wrong and pernicious, shallow victory can be achieved through division by semantics and obfuscation. Like many, I succumbed to the addiction of old politics because they are so easy.

Innuendo is easy. The truth is hard.

Sound bites are easy. Solutions are hard.

Spin is simple and easy. Struggling with facts is complicated and hard.

I have learned the hard way that you can love the candidate and hate the campaign. My stomach churns when I think how my old friends in the Clinton campaign will just pick up the old silly Republican play book and call in the same old artificial attacks and bombardments we have all heard before.

Yet, despite the simple and overwhelming pressure to do anything and everything to win, Barack Obama has risen above it all and demanded a new brand of politics. People flock to Senator Obama because they are rejecting the hyperbole of the old politics. The past eight years of George Bush have witnessed a retreat from substance, science, and reason in favor spin, cronyism and ideology. Barack Obama has dared not only to criticize it, as all Democrats do, but to actually reject playing the same old game. And in doing so, he has shown us a new path to victory.

Uniting for Victory

The simple fact is that Democrats need to be united in November to win, and Clinton supporters, in particular, will be vital to victory. We will not convince Clinton supporters to join the Obama campaign, however, by personally criticizing them. We must welcome everyone and avoid doing Republican work for them. It is therefore incumbent on all of us who once supported Senator Clinton to welcome the thousands who should now switch their support to Senator Obama. Similarly, a necessary part of the healing process for our Party is for those who supported Senator Obama early to have the grace and good sense to broaden the tent and welcome newcomers into the fold.

The old players of the old political game will claim that I am betraying my old friend Senator Evan Bayh by switching my support to Senator Obama. I believe that Evan Bayh would be a great President, and therefore a great Vice President. I will continue to argue that he would be a great choice to be on the ticket with Barack Obama. Evan Bayh is uniquely positioned as a successful governor with executive experience who is now a U.S. Senator with foreign policy experience and who is young enough to not undercut the message of vitality and hard work that Barack Obama represents. Part of healing the Party may be to have a Clinton supporter on the ticket, let alone someone who would help with Indiana, Ohio and the moderate Midwest in the general election.

Being for Evan Bayh, however, does not mean that you have to be for Hillary Clinton. The important message to Hoosiers, and to super delegates, is that being for someone does not mean that you agree 100 percent of the time. Regardless of whether Evan Bayh and I support different candidates, I will support Evan Bayh.

We must reject the notion that we have to beat the Republicans at their own game -- or even that the game has to be played at all. It is so easy for all of us involved -- candidates, campaigns and the media -- to focus on the process and the horse race that we forget why we got into it in the first place. Barack Obama has had the courage to talk about real issues, real problems and real people. Let's pause for a second in the midst of the cacophony of the campaign circus and listen.

In 1992, I was inspired by Bill Clinton because he promised, and delivered, a framework for addressing America's problems. President Clinton ended a long-running left-right debate in our Party, and inspired millions. He drew giant crowds and spoke passionately for a generation of Americans who often disenfranchised and rarely participated in governing. Today, Barack Obama does the same thing. Winners redefine the game. Winners connect with the American people and not only feel their pain, but inspire them to take action to heal the underlying cause. Barack Obama is that kind of candidate and that kind of leader, which is why he will win in November.

Welcoming Everyone into the Party

We face significant challenges as a nation and as a Party, but time and again, Americans have shown the resilience and determination necessary to overcome even the highest obstacle. We have a difficult road ahead, but I have complete confidence that Barack Obama is the candidate who can lead our Party to victory and the President who can guide us to even greater heights.

Many Democrats know me for one short speech I gave over and over again in the 2000 Presidential campaign. That speech was about welcoming people into our Party and welcoming undecided voters to our campaign to elect Al Gore. Today, we need to welcome Clinton supporters, undecided voters, and all Americans to join Barack Obama's cause to fight for a better America. My speech ended with these words, which are even more relevant today:

The difference between the Republican Party and the Democratic Party is that you are always welcome in the Democratic Party.

Because Democrats don’t care if you are black or white or brown or a nice shade of green, you are welcome in the Democratic Party.

We don’t care if you pray in a church or a synagogue or a temple or a mosque, or just before math tests, you are welcome in the Democratic Party.

We don’t care if you are young or old, or just don’t want to tell your age, you are welcome in the Democratic Party.

We don’t care what gender you are, or what gender you want to hold hands with; as long as you want to hold hands, you are welcome in the Democratic Party.

We don’t care about the size of your bank account, just the size of your heart; and we don’t care where you are today, just where you dream you want to be tomorrow.

That is your Democratic Party.

That is Barack Obama's Democratic Party.

That is the Party that will win in November.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
This is part of the reason Clinton's Superdelegate Joe Andrew switched. He got tired of Hillay's dishonest pandering.

From the LA Times:

Quote:
Candidates' plans to cut gas prices

Clinton's and McCain's plans for a summer gas-tax suspension won't solve anything.

April 30, 2008

High gas prices can prompt political hysteria in the best of times, but when they soar during an election year, the fumes rising from candidate stump speeches can make a person sick. Of the three candidates and the president they're out to replace, only one is telling the truth about oil -- and he may suffer for his political courage.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) unveiled his nonsensical solution to $4-a-gallon gasoline two weeks ago when he proposed suspending the federal excise tax on gas during the peak-travel summer months. Not to be outdone on the pandering front -- and no doubt after seeing poll results showing that high gas prices have topped Iraq among Americans' biggest concerns -- Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) seconded McCain's motion and spiced it up with a proposal to tax windfall profits of oil companies to make up for the lost gas-tax revenues.

McCain's gas-tax gimmick is about what one would expect from a Republican candidate, given that his party's shortsighted energy policies are partly to blame for the fix we're in today. Rather than supporting conservation measures, such as tougher vehicle fuel standards, the Republicans wasted years fighting a pointless battle to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling. President Bush continued to hammer on this tired theme Tuesday, as if unaware that it would take about a decade to extract a drop of oil from the refuge and that doing so would have a negligible effect on prices.

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) is refusing to play along with what he has called a gas-tax "scheme,” perhaps because he has learned from experience. When he was an Illinois state senator in 2000, he voted in favor of a six-month suspension of the state's sales tax on gasoline. A study later showed that the state lost $175 million in revenue, and consumers barely benefited -- gas prices simply rose to make up for the tax cut. Any economist could have predicted this: If you lower the price of gas without increasing the supply, it will only raise demand and thus boost prices.

A summer moratorium on the 18.4-cent federal gas tax would cost an estimated $9 billion, money that is desperately needed to shore up the country's transportation infrastructure. McCain's assurance that he would divert tax revenue from other sources to make up the difference is not reassuring amid a ballooning federal deficit, and Clinton's plan to tax oil companies has been tried without success by congressional Democrats for years.

Clinton is now running commercials in Indiana, site of the next Democratic primary on Tuesday, attacking Obama for his policy on gasoline prices. Never mind that there is almost no chance of getting her proposal through Congress before Memorial Day, even if it made sense. Here's hoping the people of Indiana can see through this ploy.

But this is what MEM I believe, thinks is "smart politics". Never mind that it's patently dishonest and pandering. It's true to form for Clinton though and I'm glad Obama has released an ad spelling what the LA Times explained so well. It's simply a stunt designed because these politicians think people are fucking stupid.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
...The battle should not be amongst ourselves. Rather, we should focus our efforts on those who are truly on the opposite side: those who want to continue the failed policies of the last eight years, rather than bring real change to Washington. Let us come together right now behind an inspiring leader who not only has the audacity to challenge the old divisive politics, but the audacity to make us all hope for a better America.[/stand]

Unite the Party Now

I believe that Bill Clinton will be remembered as one of our nation's great Presidents, and Senator Clinton as one of our nation's great public servants. But as much as I respect and admire them both, it is clear that a vote for Hillary Clinton is a vote to continue this process, and a vote to continue this process is a vote that assists John McCain.

Isn't the most important part of the Democratic nomination process having people go to the polls & vote. This guy seems to want to end it at a point where it looks like voters are choosing Hillary over Obama. Recent polls show Hillary beating McCain by a better margin than Obama. It's sort of crazy to say it's really the other way around. There seems to be little logic in his very long letter IMHO.

Last edited by Matter-eater Man; 2008-05-01 11:52 PM.

Fair play!
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Quote:
The Rev. Herbert H. Lusk II, a conservative black pastor at Greater Exodus Baptist Church in Philadelphia, expressed sympathy for Wright but said he relates more to Obama. He compared Obama's situation to his own, as a Republican pastor of an overwhelmingly Democratic congregation. His members get angry over his support for President Bush but remain because of family, friends and other ties, Lusk said.

Obama "doesn't appear to me to be hypocritical or disingenuous," Lusk said. "He's just another parishioner who struggles with what happens in his church, what the pastor says and all the other intangibles."

whomod #942377 2008-05-02 12:27 AM
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The Rev. Herbert H. Lusk II, a conservative black pastor at Greater Exodus Baptist Church in Philadelphia, expressed sympathy for Wright but said he relates more to Obama. He compared Obama's situation to his own, as a Republican pastor of an overwhelmingly Democratic congregation. His members get angry over his support for President Bush but remain because of family, friends and other ties, Lusk said.

Obama "doesn't appear to me to be hypocritical or disingenuous," Lusk said. "He's just another parishioner who struggles with what happens in his church, what the pastor says and all the other intangibles."

Obama really wasn't just "another parishioner" though. They were closer than that & Obama didn't struggle with the things Wright said till it looked like it would hurt his campaign. Then it was time to throw Wright under the bus. And I'm guessing there is alot of room for more under that bus.

Fair play!
Matter-eater Man #942398 2008-05-02 1:07 AM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I hope Obama doesn't disown his grandmother this week too!

Irwin Schwab #942433 2008-05-02 4:55 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
what's with saying he threw him under a bus? for weeks people said obama needed to distance himself from wright and he did. his comments were not "throwing him under a bus" he was just creating some distance and affirming that wright has nothing to do with his campaign. wright is obviously a whore for attention, and at this point it seems like he's trying to ruin things for obama. instead of attacking obama because he went to the guy's church let's look at mccain actively courting jerry falwell for his endorsment.

Bow ties are coool.
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
With bsams,there is no pleasing him. He's going to ride this Wright thing to the ground because it's something handy to use against that guy he fears and that wants to change things.

I half expect bsams to one day invent the time machine so he can live out his days in 2003 where everything made sense to him.

whomod #942440 2008-05-02 6:40 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
in 2003 we were post-9/11 but not jaded about it. the Serenity thread was 2 years away. and scrubs was still funny.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
whomod had not yet jerked off to a pic of obama....

Irwin Schwab #942451 2008-05-02 3:52 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
He was also still talking about what a great candidate McCain would be for the GOP and how much he respected and admired him.

Last edited by the G-man; 2008-05-02 3:53 PM.
the G-man #942452 2008-05-02 4:00 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it was a nice time, barack obama could quitely sit in church and let his children learn the great biblical lessons such as the us government creating AIDS to kill black men(how exactly AIDS would only kill black men isnt really important), or the lesson about ththose poor people in those buildings and on those planes deserving to die because we support a tiny nation under attack from all sides, back then barack didnt have to worry about the snoopy press and vetting presidential candidates, he and his family could worship in peace, ah the good old days....

Irwin Schwab #942455 2008-05-02 4:08 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Good times. Good times.

the G-man #942527 2008-05-03 3:33 AM
URG Offline
URG am real man!
7500+ posts
URG am real man!
7500+ posts

URG #942538 2008-05-03 12:10 PM
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Rev Wright was right, super man wont let that black fellow into city hall!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:
Obama's appeal to working-class whites faltering, polls show

Barack Obama's problem winning votes from working-class whites is showing no sign of going away, and their impression of him is getting worse.

Those are ominous signals as he hopes for strong performances next week in Indiana and North Carolina primaries that would derail the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton, his rival for the Democratic presidential nomination. Those contests come as his candidacy has been rocked by renewed attention to his volatile former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and by his defeat in last month's Pennsylvania primary.

In an Associated Press-Yahoo News poll in April, 53 percent of whites who have not completed college viewed Obama unfavorably, up a dozen percentage points from November. During that period, the numbers viewing Clinton and Republican candidate John McCain negatively have stayed about even.

The April poll — conducted before the Pennsylvania contest — also showed an overwhelming preference for Clinton over Obama among working-class whites. They favored her over him by 39 percentage points, compared to a 10-point Obama lead among white college graduates. Obama also did worse than Clinton among those less-educated voters when matched up against Republican candidate John McCain.

"It's the stuff about his preacher ... and the thing he said about Pennsylvania towns, how they turn to religion," Keith Wolfe, 41, a supermarket food stocker from Parkville, Md., said in a follow-up interview. "I don't think he'd be a really good leader."

Just before the Pennsylvania primary, Obama said many small-town residents are bitter about their lives and turn for solace to religion and guns.

Recent voting patterns underscore Obama's continued poor performance with these voters, who are often pivotal in general election swing states like Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

In Democratic primaries held on or before Super Tuesday, Feb. 5, whites who have not finished college favored the New York senator by a cumulative 59 percent to 32 percent, according to exit polls of voters conducted for The Associated Press and the television networks.

In primaries since Feb. 5, that group has favored Clinton by 64 percent to 34 percent. That includes Ohio and Pennsylvania, in which working-class whites have favored Clinton by 44 and 41 percentage points respectively.

The AP-Yahoo poll shows less educated whites present a problem to Obama in part because of who they are. Besides being poorer, they tend to be older than white college graduates — and Clinton has done strongly with older white voters.

Yet political professionals and analysts say more is at play. They blame Obama's problems with blue-collar whites on their greater reluctance to embrace his bid to become the first black president, and his failure to address their concerns about job losses and the battered economy specifically enough.

Terry Madonna, a political science professor at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa., said Obama lost among working-class whites in the state because his message of how this generation's time has come did not address their economic needs.

"While it's incredibly motivating and passionate and compelling, it lacks content," Madonna said. "Hillary would come in and relate to them, talk about the specifics of her policy."

Pennsylvania also illustrated the problems racial attitudes among less educated whites are causing Obama.

In exit polls, one in five of the state's white voters who haven't completed college said race was an important factor in choosing a candidate, about double the number of white college graduates who said so. Eight in 10 of them voted for Clinton over Obama, and only about half said they would vote for Obama over McCain in November.

"The scab is pealed back off," Democratic pollster John Anzalone, not working for either presidential candidate, said of the latest attention focused on Wright and Obama's denunciations of him. In video clips of past sermons, Wright has damned the United States for its history of racism and accused the government of spreading the HIV virus to harm blacks.

Obama pollster Cornell Belcher said that while working-class whites have favored Clinton, the fact that huge numbers of them and other voters have participated in Democratic contests boded well for the November election.

"I don't think there's going to be erosion in the fall of a core group of Democratic voters," Belcher said.

While less educated whites tend to vote less frequently than better educated voters, they are important because of their sheer number.

Exit polls show they have comprised three in 10 voters in Democratic contests so far, a group that cannot be ignored in a contest that has seen Obama maintain a slim lead. They made up 43 percent of all voters in the 2004 presidential contest, when they heavily favored President Bush over Democrat John Kerry.

Underlining his need to connect with these voters, Obama has geared some television ads in Indiana toward economic issues. In recent days he has turned to small events, rather than his trademark huge rallies, concentrating on the economy, including lunching with a blue-collar Indiana family while discussing their problems.

He has let cameras record him playing basketball in hopes of connecting with the passionate fans of the sport who populate Indiana and North Carolina.

The findings from the AP-Yahoo News poll are from interviews with 863 Democrats on a panel of adults questioned in November and April. It has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points.

The poll was conducted over the Internet by Knowledge Networks, which initially contacted people using traditional telephone polling methods and followed with online interviews. People chosen for the study who had no Internet access were given it free.

The exit poll is based on in-person interviews with more than 36,000 voters in 28 states that have held primaries this year in which both candidates actively competed. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus 1 percentage point, larger for some subgroups.

in Obama's defense, pastor Wright has clearly pointed out that all white's are racist, so this was not unexpected, what with their racism and all....

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
btw, the huge headline font was a homage to whomod....

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
btw, the huge headline font was a homage to whomod....

Do you have a crush on me or something?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
self loathers really arent my type....

Irwin Schwab #942872 2008-05-05 4:28 AM
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
it was a nice time, barack obama could quitely sit in church and let his children learn the great biblical lessons such as the us government creating AIDS to kill black men(how exactly AIDS would only kill black men isnt really important), or the lesson about ththose poor people in those buildings and on those planes deserving to die because we support a tiny nation under attack from all sides, back then barack didnt have to worry about the snoopy press and vetting presidential candidates, he and his family could worship in peace, ah the good old days....

No one ever seems to notice that, for a disease allegedly created by the U.S. government to wipe out black americans, upwards of 85% of those infected are white homosexual/bisexual men, I.V. drug users, and homosexual/I.V. drug users.
In 1993, when I wrote an article on the status of the epidemic in the U.S. at that time, and spoke at length for several hours with representatives of the Center For Disease Control (CDC), as well as several local doctors, the consensus was that heterosexuals (women) were pretty much only infected by sex partners who were secretly bisexual or I.V. drug users. The only exception being those infected through blood or organ transplants.

Pretty misdirected effort, for a disease created to, in Rev Jeremiah Wright's paranoid words, "wipe out people of color".

Wonder Boy #942886 2008-05-05 7:34 AM
fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
I've heard this argument before. Though that version was that AIDS was zionistic created disease meant to wipe out muslims in Africa...

equally as stupid as that wright fellow

Racks be to MisterJLA
Wonder Boy #942888 2008-05-05 9:37 AM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

No one ever seems to notice that, for a disease allegedly created by the U.S. government to wipe out black americans, upwards of 85% of those infected are white homosexual/bisexual men, I.V. drug users, and homosexual/I.V. drug users.
In 1993, when I wrote an article on the status of the epidemic in the U.S. at that time, and spoke at length for several hours with representatives of the Center For Disease Control (CDC), as well as several local doctors, the consensus was that heterosexuals (women) were pretty much only infected by sex partners who were secretly bisexual or I.V. drug users. The only exception being those infected through blood or organ transplants.

Pretty misdirected effort, for a disease created to, in Rev Jeremiah Wright's paranoid words, "wipe out people of color".

i like how your fantasies now include research reports and meetings with the CDC. thank you for still taking the time from all your ethnic dating and government meetings to post on this messageboard.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
the man is a true public servant.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
New York Post:
  • Tom Hanks has just released a new short film - endorsing Barack Obama for president.

"As an official celebrity, I know my endorsement has just made my mind up for you," the two-time Oscar winner jokes in a 21/2-minute homemade video on his myspace.com page.

"I want Barack Obama to be the next president of this country," Hanks says. "My support for Obama isn't just about breaking boundaries; it's because of his character and vision and the high road he has taken in this campaign."

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
is it a surprise that an actor is endorsing another actor?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I kind of pictured Hanks supporting Hillary since he played a gay man in Philadelphia and it seems like she has the gay vote.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i think they made a secret pact, he'd support Obama, and Obama would share the secret of how to play a black man, a white man, a elitist, a racist, a unifier, a nafta supporter, a nafta opponent, a voting member of legislature, a just present member of the legislature, a dedicated ember of the church, a member of the church that didnt hear any sermons, and a multitude of other roles!

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Are you saying that the great Tom Hanks couldn't pay those roles already?

He played a woman on "Bosom Buddies," for cryin out loud!

Page 40 of 94 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard