As far as I know, PS3 launched the same day all across the bulk of Europe, but it was some 6 months or so behind the US and Japan.

The 360 probably had an 18 month jump on the market here (only a handful of people would have bothered importing a US or Jap system).

Reading these figures though has been interesting for me as I have constantly been surprised, both here and on other boards when I have seen so many comments about the PS3 not selling, or the 360 being such a huge success.
I now begin to understand that from an Americans point of view, this is probably the case, but from a worldwide point of view it doesnt look that way.

I agree with you about the Wii not being such a factor in this version of the console war, as I have always said it appeals to a totally different customer base, it just surprises me that its not been more popular in the USA as it seems to be elsewhere.

I think the thing that has hurt the 360 most outside the USA is its reliability.
In a world where news becomes available so quickly via the internet, a product with a less than sterling reputation is gonna be hit hard very quickly.