Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Originally Posted By: whomod
John Hagee, the controversial evangelical leader and endorser of Sen. John McCain, argued in a late 1990s sermon that the Nazis had operated on God's behalf to chase the Jews from Europe and shepherd them to Palestine. According to the Reverend, Adolph Hitler was a "hunter," sent by God, who was tasked with expediting God's will of having the Jews re-establish a state of Israel.

As soon as he learned about these remarks McCain rejected the endorsement:
  • “Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible, and I repudiate them,” McCain said in a statement Thursday. “I did not know of them before Reverend Hagee’s endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well.”

McCain also used as a reference point the controversy surrounding fiery statements made by Barack Obama’s former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

“I have said I do not believe Senator Obama shares Reverend Wright’s extreme views. But let me also be clear, Reverend Hagee was not and is not my pastor or spiritual adviser, and I did not attend his church for 20 years. I have denounced statements he made immediately upon learning of them, as I do again today. “

Nor did McCain spent several months hemming and hawing over his relationship with Hagee or tell us that he could no more disavow Hagree than he could a racist white relative.

Score: McCain +1, Obama: 0

I was surprised that Whomod would say anything to bring up Wright. The arguement only works with the Obamamites who thought Obama talking about not being able to disown Wright was the greatest speach ever & then doing just that once Wright said he thought Obama thought the same as he did. Really Whomod this is something I don't think pays to bring up for your guy.

Fair play!