Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 62 of 94 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 93 94
25+ posts
25+ posts
Taking your kids to ANY church for an extended period is child abuse, but most Americans seem okay with it. Go figure.

terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
yeah, that's not a knee-jerk reaction at all.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
25+ posts
25+ posts
You think so? Replace "church" with "public schools" and see how many raving, knee-jerk right-wingers bob their heads in unison.

(My apologies for the typo.)

Last edited by Calybos; 2008-08-14 2:48 PM.
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
What the fuck is a 'chuch'?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Joanie loves Chuchie?

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
terrible podcaster
15000+ posts
apparently not all bitter people cling to guns and religion.

go.

ᴚ ᴀ ᴐ ᴋ ᴊ ᴌ ᴧ
ಠ_ಠ
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Time may chuch me, but I can't trace time.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
maybe if i thought the comments made by wright were out of line or wrong i would care. but wright dressed up racial tensions with some colorful speech. the fact is how he feels is not so uncommon. and it's not about hatred of white people like the KKK is, it's about a feeling of being the victim and the anger that is all too human that comes with being a victim. what i care about here is that obama addressed the issue in a pretty fair manner, he admitted these issues are real and should be gotten passed.

have you seen KKK speeches on tv? they feel they are victimized as well. being a victim is self brought on, if you let people victimize you, you will be victimized, it isnt solved by expressing hatred for people who did nothing to you. the fact that Obama took his children to hear that every Sunday os very telling of him.

well, the kkk was formed because they felt "victimized" that black people were no longer slaves. and they organized to fight for segregation.
black people were slaves, experimented on, kept down in education and jobs. now things are obviously much improved today, but people have memories. wright grew up before civil rights so there is more of a sense of anger than someone like obama would have.

your ignorance of history, could be why you hold the views you do.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Actually, the KKK was formed as a social club for Civil War vets. When it was discovered that their initiation ritual of having someone ride a horse at night while wearing a white bed sheet, carrying a torch, and singing love songs scared the local blacks as they thought the men were actually ghosts. That's when the KKK's goals turned violent and founder Nathan Bedford Forrest demanded the group disbanded.

Last edited by thedoctor; 2008-08-14 6:14 PM. Reason: meant to say violent instead of racist since Forrest was a damned racist himself

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
maybe if i thought the comments made by wright were out of line or wrong i would care. but wright dressed up racial tensions with some colorful speech. the fact is how he feels is not so uncommon. and it's not about hatred of white people like the KKK is, it's about a feeling of being the victim and the anger that is all too human that comes with being a victim. what i care about here is that obama addressed the issue in a pretty fair manner, he admitted these issues are real and should be gotten passed.

have you seen KKK speeches on tv? they feel they are victimized as well. being a victim is self brought on, if you let people victimize you, you will be victimized, it isnt solved by expressing hatred for people who did nothing to you. the fact that Obama took his children to hear that every Sunday os very telling of him.

well, the kkk was formed because they felt "victimized" that black people were no longer slaves. and they organized to fight for segregation.
black people were slaves, experimented on, kept down in education and jobs. now things are obviously much improved today, but people have memories. wright grew up before civil rights so there is more of a sense of anger than someone like obama would have.

what ignorance of history? this is what really gets me about internet message boards. people say "you're wrong" or "you're ignorance of history" without explaining why they think the person is wrong, without presenting counter points.
If you watch the film Birth of a Nation, which the Hitstory channel aired one night about 6 years ago, you see the victim justification being used. that was about 100 years ago. long before bush, obama, or google.

But the fact, and the point of this, is that black people have been victimized for a long time. Whites haven't, not really. Whatever angry words Wright used, he didn't advocated terrorism or racial violence (at lease from what i read). He talked about very real issues. Very complex issues. And he used the language that was most effective with his audience, just like any other public speaker.
You can't just tell an entire group of people that slavery is over so they need to get over it, that the Tuskegee experiments were 50 years ago and they need to get over the government experimenting on blacks, that segregation is gone 40 years and they should just get over it. People remember things, it stays a part of their cultural identity in the same way that Irish people still bitch about St. Patrick and the English and Guinness (or whatever a typical Irish person does).
I think for a lot of lower income blacks especially it's harder to see the racial equality mentioned in one of wondy's "get over it" threads.

Bow ties are coool.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Quote:
black people have been victimized for a long time. Whites haven't, not really.

Tell that to the Jews.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts

what ignorance of history? this is what really gets me about internet message boards. people say "you're wrong" or "you're ignorance of history" without explaining why they think the person is wrong, without presenting counter points.
If you watch the film Birth of a Nation, which the Hitstory channel aired one night about 6 years ago, you see the victim justification being used. that was about 100 years ago. long before bush, obama, or google.

But the fact, and the point of this, is that black people have been victimized for a long time. Whites haven't, not really. Whatever angry words Wright used, he didn't advocated terrorism or racial violence (at lease from what i read). He talked about very real issues. Very complex issues. And he used the language that was most effective with his audience, just like any other public speaker.
You can't just tell an entire group of people that slavery is over so they need to get over it, that the Tuskegee experiments were 50 years ago and they need to get over the government experimenting on blacks, that segregation is gone 40 years and they should just get over it. People remember things, it stays a part of their cultural identity in the same way that Irish people still bitch about St. Patrick and the English and Guinness (or whatever a typical Irish person does).
I think for a lot of lower income blacks especially it's harder to see the racial equality mentioned in one of wondy's "get over it" threads.

it is racist to blame all whites for the actions of other whites. people are directly responsible for their actions. if it was John Blank that discriminated against a black man then it is John Blank that is to blame, not white people. The fact that John Blank was white doesnt not indict the entire white race. People like Wright would like to indict the entire white race and that is racist. As racist as the KKK.

Whether you want to believe it or not, there were ignorant people that when they had a loved one raped or killed(or framed) by a black man believed all the bullshit that black people wanted to rape, kill, or steal. They were wrong to believe this way, but the people who preached this garbage that it was the black man doing this and not the individual man were worse, they took advantage of the ignorant and developed them into racists as well. Same with Wright, he is a smart man, he has to know it wasn't the withe man, but some men who were white who used racism for their evil purposes. Obama is smart enough to know better as well. But he raises his children in that bigoted church that keeps perpetuating the same circle of it's the whites, it's the hews. the same bigoted stuff that was foisted on the blacks. they are no better for the actions. individuals make decisions and when you cast it as a race based on a few then you are indeed a racist.

What I hate about the internet? People who love the the victimization game. For all my dislikes about Obama, the people crying about racial equality should do what he did, work to get at the nomination for US president, dont set around waiting for a handout. He has proved it is a matter of working for what you want, ask Jesse Jackson how the blame game did for him. People can choose to blame the world of 50 years ago for their problems or they can move and do something for themselves.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Adler is right, calling out for the murder of jews has nothing do to with racial violence or terrorism.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:

Tell that to the Jews.

ok, but blacks were held in slavery, experimented upon, and victimized by this country and it's government. therefore they may feel some resentment towards America and it's very white leaders, who debate the glorious history of the confederate flag.
I believe G-man if you check a map you'll see that Ancient Egypt and Nazi Germany are not part of the united states. guess you missed the geography class at traffic school.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Ray, your earlier posts referenced other countries, including Ireland. As such, it is a bit disingenuous for you to now claim that you were only referring to victimization within the United States.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

g-man, you're just sidestepping the issue to attack the person making their point.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
 Quote:

Tell that to the Jews.

ok, but blacks were held in slavery, experimented upon, and victimized by this country and it's government. therefore they may feel some resentment towards America and it's very white leaders, who debate the glorious history of the confederate flag.

there were also Africa blacks who has slaves in Africa and sold them to European and American whites. Even if there were no blacks involved it's not an indictment on all whites then, or any whites now. This is why you fail.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Quote:

Tell that to the Jews.

there were also Africa blacks who has slaves in Africa and sold them to European and American whites. Even if there were no blacks involved it's not an indictment on all whites then, or any whites now. This is why you fail.

and that might be a valid issue if we weretalking about the government/society of Africa. We're talking about America and black people feeling resentment, feeling like an underclass. Valid points that should be addressed.
I reject your grading system and grade myself a check++ while you get a fail.

Bow ties are coool.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
you sidestepped again ray.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Slavery ended more than 150 years ago. They can vote. They can own property. They have all the same rights as anyone other citizen.

The only people holding them back is themselves.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
A black man is nominated for President and looks to be the early favorite to win. Racism as a raodblock is dead. But as long as it can be used to funnel vores and money from poor African American's the left will continue to use it, in effect making them worse than the KKK ever was, the Klan effected lives for a few decades, the left is taking these peoples future from them.

25+ posts
25+ posts
I live in the South; trust me, racism is alive and well. Very many of my fellow "citizens" have explicitly said "There's no way America (i.e., them and their redneck buddies) will ever elect a BLACK MAN president!"

No, I think there's plenty of racism left. Pretending otherwise is idealistic, but not reflective of reality.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
sure black mustachio sure

only mostly dead
300+ posts
only mostly dead
300+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Calybos
I live in the South; trust me, racism is alive and well. Very many of my fellow "citizens" have explicitly said "There's no way America (i.e., them and their redneck buddies) will ever elect a BLACK MAN president!"

No, I think there's plenty of racism left. Pretending otherwise is idealistic, but not reflective of reality.

Pretty much any place between Texas and Florida fits this statement.

25+ posts
25+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
sure black mustachio sure

Brilliant rebuttal.

If you'd like to see for yourself, check out http://www.ajc.com and stroll through the Opinion section.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
You do realize that opinions are things that aren't backed up by facts, don't you mustachio?

25+ posts
25+ posts
When the fact is "the existence of certain opinions," then the Opinion section seems like a reasonable place to find them, don't you think?

(Or is that the underlying problem here?)

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Only a fool would argue that racism doesn't exist. As long as race is a concept there will be racism.

But I don't see BSAMS or rex arguing that racism doesn't exist. The point they are making is that, when a "black" man has at least a 50/50 shot of being our next president, it discredits, if not disproves, the old argument that racism is so powerful and pervasive as to be serious stumbling block to people's success.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
i never said it didn't exist, there a re people of all colors that are racist. the fact that it is a one sided stumbling block is not true anymore.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
also I said that all white people should not be judged by white racist. if one is not a racist what another does is not his burden because he shares the same skin tone.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
i never said it didn't exist, there a re people of all colors that are racist. the fact that it is a one sided stumbling block is not true anymore.

Exactly. Calybomod, or whomever (s)he is, is making a "straw man" argument.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
it's just a way to use people for political gain, it's done on the right as well, the far right uses the good intentions of people of faith to get their political support.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
it's just a way to use people for political gain, it's done on the right as well, the far right uses the good intentions of people of faith to get their political support.

True dat. One area I definitely break with the GOP is when they try to mix faith with politics.

Even if I agree with a particular policy, I want to see a non-religious basis for it, not because some crazy Reverend thinks Jesus told us to do it that way.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
I think it's more than that, the neconservative movement uses it to get votes, they claim to be anti abortion, anti gay marriage but they never actually put it to the test, no motions for a constitutional amendment, no rallying to get one, just keep telling the people they're working at it but in reality not doing anything about it.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I would respectfully disagree on that, simply because they do put up anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage laws. They also work to get judges appointed that support those things.

So (unfortunate in a way, from my perspective) they do try to do something about those things.

Where I definitely think they play the game you are talking about is when they start up on things like flag burning. They know that's going nowhere but still keep beating that drum every few years.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Exploiting ignorance is what has sustained the Republican Party for the past 25 years or so... why should they change their formula now?

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Most politicians, regardless of political affiliation, try to exploit ignorance.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Finally, something I can agree with you on.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
Only a fool would argue that racism doesn't exist. As long as race is a concept there will be racism.

But I don't see BSAMS or rex arguing that racism doesn't exist. The point they are making is that, when a "black" man has at least a 50/50 shot of being our next president, it discredits, if not disproves, the old argument that racism is so powerful and pervasive as to be serious stumbling block to people's success.

Sure society has made big changes and advancments. But Obama is one guy. There are millions of blackmericans who have had their lives constantly touched and effected by racism, by social systems set up before they were born that made it harder on them. Imagine how they might feel, probably a bit of anger. I would think people would appreciate the Obama isn't really trying to get in using the race card, he's not talking about being kept down. In fact he's talked about mending things between black and white, talked about how it is valid for some white people to be angry over affirmative action.
That's actually why i like him, he talks about issues like they're more complicated than simple....black vs. white.

Bow ties are coool.
Page 62 of 94 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 93 94

Link Copied to Clipboard