Page 2 of 43 1 2 3 4 42 43
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: britneyspearsatemyshorts
 Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
Also to give Jason a little lesson in the Presidency, the President chooses the advisers, cabinet. So if inexperinced Obama say picks Bill Ayers as secretary of Defense, he will be Biden's Sec if something happens to Barack. But if John McCain picks Colin Powell he would be Palin's sec of defense. Now the names are examples but the picks will be based on the judgments of the President not the VP.

And?

Dude please, I know your upset but youve got to read the whole message, including the one it's a reply to. Calm down, Obama still has a chance.

Oh, I see. You're doing it again.

'K.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Bill Clinton has just commented on John McCains VP pick:

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
But, seriously, Jason: Palin is no less qualified to be President than Obama (may be more so given her executive experience) and, unlike Obama she isn't running for the top slot.

So, as BSAMS pointed out, it's pretty foolish for people to complain about her experience if they're backing Obama.

If Palin were at the top of the GOP ticket you might have a point, but she isn't.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Palin has a track record of taking on big oil and winning, where is MoveOn.org's talking points about this? Obama and Biden talk about it she has done it, that is experience.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Also to give Jason a little lesson in the Presidency, the President chooses the advisers, cabinet. So if inexperinced Obama say picks Bill Ayers as secretary of Defense, he will be Biden's Sec if something happens to Barack. But if John McCain picks Colin Powell he would be Palin's sec of defense. Now the names are examples but the picks will be based on the judgments of the President not the VP.

And?

Dude please, I know your upset but youve got to read the whole message, including the one it's a reply to. Calm down, Obama still has a chance.

Oh, I see. You're doing it again.

'K.

see wasnt it clearer that way.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Palin has a track record of taking on big oil and winning, where is MoveOn.org's talking points about this? Obama and Biden talk about it she has done it, that is experience.

But, but, Obama was a community organizer...I'm sure if there had been an oil derrick in Chicago he would have been all over that.

He'd have probably organized one hell of a sit-in in front of it or something.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
But, seriously, Jason: Palin is no less qualified to be President than Obama (may be more so given her executive experience) and, unlike Obama she isn't running for the top slot.

So, as BSAMS pointed out, it's pretty foolish for people to complain about her experience if they're backing Obama.

If Palin were at the top of the GOP ticket you might have a point, but she isn't.

I totally agree that it's foolish for people to complain about her lack of experience. I alluded to that above.

However, I disagree with the rest of your post. The VP pick is just as important as the Presidential. The simple fact is that A VP CAN become President if something happens to the #1 honcho. That's part of the reason the VP is there. It's happened before, of course, and the VP-become-President was no less powerful or important than the man he replaced. And the VP choice is even more important in this election, since we're dealing with two presidential candidates with increased likelihoods of death during service.

So if you're going to say that Obama's lack of experience is a bad thing, then sorry, but Palin's is just as bad. If Palin's freshness is good, Obama's is just as good.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

And McCain supports big oil...big time. So if G-man's point is taken, than MoveOn.org doesn't need a talking point.

rex #998715 2008-08-29 7:15 PM
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: rex
the candidate who's running on change picked the old white man and the other guy choose a woman for VP. Makes no sense at all.

it does make sense for both of them. Obama is already the first black nominee, he picked Biden to add experience and blue collar cred. Mccain is an old white guy so he picked a woman to add the diversity angle to his campaign and probably also as an extra lure to the Hillary supporters who wanted a woman to be elected.

Bow ties are coool.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

this is what google image gave me for her. Is this really the VP nominee?
This is "change you can jerk off to."

Bow ties are coool.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man
the candidate who's running on change picked the old white man and the other guy choose a woman for VP. Makes no sense at all.

it does make sense for both of them. Obama is already the first black nominee, he picked Biden to add experience and blue collar cred. Mccain is an old white guy so he picked a woman to add the diversity angle to his campaign and probably also as an extra lure to the Hillary supporters who wanted a woman to be elected.

Anyone who wanted hillary elected is too retarded to vote republican.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

this is what google image gave me for her. Is this really the VP nominee?
This is "change you can jerk off to."

She kind of looks like ScriptGirl in that picture.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I like the librarian look.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

Anyone who wanted hillary elected is too retarded to vote republican.
the party that elected bush?

Bow ties are coool.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
No, the party who didn't elect the tards that ran against him.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
No, the party who didn't elect the tards that ran against him.

the noble prize winner who pushed for the legislation that led to the creation of the internet or the vietnam war hero who spent decades serving his country?
because i was refering to the rich retard who got elected using smear tactics and his dad's money and supreme court appointments.

Bow ties are coool.
PJP #998737 2008-08-29 8:36 PM
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
I'm pretty happy! This has energized me as far as being excited for a McCain Presidency.

What happened to your love affair with moderate or middle man politicians? Palin seems too right of center for you to identify with

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear from other people supporting my (reluctant) candidate; "There's a woman on McCain's ticket! This is cooler than sliced bread!"

Now I'm gonna be standing in the ballot line with a bunch of feminists who are only voting Conservative because there's a woman on the ticket. At least if it were Condi, I'd know feminists hate her too much to go for her as a woman, but with Palin coming out of left...Er, right field as a soccer mom, McCain's become all r0x0r and shit.

And then, of course, there's going to be a whole bunch of fucktards voting for boobs.

Fuck this! I hate myself even more for voting for this man now.

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-08-29 8:41 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

And McCain supports big oil...big time. So if G-man's point is taken, than MoveOn.org doesn't need a talking point.

When I responded to your post, I was assuming you were right. Now that I've read more about her, I have no idea what you're talking about.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
 Originally Posted By: The New Adventures of Old PJP
I'm pretty happy! This has energized me as far as being excited for a McCain Presidency.

What happened to your love affair with moderate or middle man politicians? Palin seems too right of center for you to identify with

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear from other people supporting my (reluctant) candidate; "There's a woman on McCain's ticket! This is cooler than sliced bread!"

Now I'm gonna be standing in the ballot line with a bunch of feminists who are only voting Conservative because there's a woman on the ticket. At least if it were Condi, I'd know feminists hate her too much to go for her as a woman, but with Palin coming out of left...Er, right field as a soccer mom, McCain's become all r0x0r and shit.

And then, of course, there's going to be a whole bunch of fucktards voting for boobs.

Fuck this! I hate myself even more for voting for this man now.

if you masturbated then you would understand.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I haven't been to CNN or any other liberally-biased news source, yet. Seems every article online is written by a conservative.

As an Obama fan, though, I have to say I think the reactions I've seen have been pretty funny. The same people who have said over and over again that Obama is too inexperienced are out there saying that Palin is a great pick, because she's a new, fresh face. Her "lack of experience" isn't a problem, even though she has served zero time in national government and has spent much less time in leadership. She has no experience overseas.

Honestly, having read up on her recently (because I had no idea who she was before this) Palin seems like a good person and perhaps even a good candidate, but the GOP has lost all the hits it can make against Obama (the ones based on reality and non-self serving issues anyway). And the only thing supporters have been able to say good about her is that she's young, very different from what we're used to, and hot.

The RNC will be very interesting.

Considering Obama went for Biden, the one lauded for experience, I'd say McCain going for Palin was a tit for tat that made their mutual experience meters reciprocal.

It was good strategic move from both a feminist angle and a experience angle I'd say..

Last edited by Pariah; 2008-08-29 8:46 PM.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And all the people who accused me of supporting Obama because I'm black are going to suddenly start looking the other way when the women's vote starts swinging to the right. People on this board included. I guarantee it.

do you read the board or just make blind accusations? i wrote several posts in the VP thread about how this will grab women voters, I believe quite a few of us have said that.

Whoa there! Relax. No need to get all...emotional.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
And all the people who accused me of supporting Obama because I'm black are going to suddenly start looking the other way when the women's vote starts swinging to the right. People on this board included. I guarantee it.

do you read the board or just make blind accusations? i wrote several posts in the VP thread about how this will grab women voters, I believe quite a few of us have said that.

Whoa there! Relax. No need to get all...emotional.

Hi Spike Lee!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Considering Obama went for Biden, the one lauded for experience, I'd say McCain going for Palin was a tit for tat that made their mutual experience meters reciprocal.

It was good strategic move from both a feminist angle and a experience angle I'd say..

Again, I agree. I'm not saying choosing Palin was a bad move on the whole. Just saying that the choice knocks out many of the talking points the Republicans have worked to drive home.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

nice choice of words.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts

Hi Spike Lee!

Hey, Mel Gibson!

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts

I totally agree that it's foolish for people to complain about her lack of experience. I alluded to that above.

However, I disagree with the rest of your post. The VP pick is just as important as the Presidential. The simple fact is that A VP CAN become President if something happens to the #1 honcho. That's part of the reason the VP is there. It's happened before, of course, and the VP-become-President was no less powerful or important than the man he replaced. And the VP choice is even more important in this election, since we're dealing with two presidential candidates with increased likelihoods of death during service.

So if you're going to say that Obama's lack of experience is a bad thing, then sorry, but Palin's is just as bad. If Palin's freshness is good, Obama's is just as good.

It's not the same thing because most people really vote for who they think will be the best President. There's more wiggle room when it comes to VP picks. Besides McCain just has to keep running spots with Biden talking about Obama's lack of experience & leave it at that.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
MEM is correct. Unless McCain is on camera calling Palin an incompetent, there's really no comparison in terms of the its effect on the race.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

It's not the same thing because most people really vote for who they think will be the best President. There's more wiggle room when it comes to VP picks. Besides McCain just has to keep running spots with Biden talking about Obama's lack of experience & leave it at that.

More wiggle room based on what, exactly? Perceptions? Because that's the only thing you offer.

I'm not talking about perception. I'm talking about the fact that a VP pick is potentially as important as the choice for President. I'm not talking about polls or votes. I'm talking about the stuff that happens after the swearing in.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm talking about the fact that a VP pick is potentially as important as the choice for President.

You're gonna have quite a but of trouble making this fly.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Online Argumentative
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
MEM is correct. Unless McCain is on camera calling Palin an incompetent, there's really no comparison in terms of the its effect on the race.

I haven't exactly been keeping up with who has said what but has McCain even said anything like that about Obama besides running the Biden/Hillary soundbytes?

Fair play!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
I think Dan Quayle vs Lloyd Bentson did a good job of showing that people will more readily vote for the ticket with the experience at the top than vice-versa.

As for "what happens after the swearing in": McCain picks his cabinet and governs the country. If he dies in office, Palin takes over until at least the next election, with that same cabinet in place and, presumably, after several years of "on the job training."

I think that's a more palatable "worst case scenario" than hope that Biden is able to tell his inexperienced boss what to do.

Basically, jason and other liberals are arguing that we should vote for Obama because he won't be a leader and will let his number two run things behind the scenes: precisely the thing they attack Bush for.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I'm talking about the fact that a VP pick is potentially as important as the choice for President.

You're gonna have quite a but of trouble making this fly.

You still haven't caught up with the thread, have you?

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

More wiggle room based on what, exactly? Perceptions? Because that's the only thing you offer.

I'm not talking about perception. I'm talking about the fact that a VP pick is potentially as important as the choice for President. I'm not talking about polls or votes. I'm talking about the stuff that happens after the swearing in.

but VPs aren't really seen like that. no matter what comments are made about them being a heartbeat away from the job, VP picks are about seasoning. Adding some little touch that the candidate lacks, or having some demographic/regional pull the candidate may need to win. I don't think anyone plans for their own assassination, and if they had a health issue that could kill them they wouldn't be able to run. Look at Dan Quayle, Dick Cheney. The VP can be something of a non-entity. I'm decent at history but don't know many VPs before my lifetime unless they later won the presidency.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I think Dan Quayle vs Lloyd Bentson did a good job of showing that people will more readily vote for the ticket with the experience at the top than vice-versa.

Great, but that's not what I was talking about.

As for "what happens after the swearing in": McCain picks his cabinet and governs the country. If he dies in office, Palin takes over until at least the next election, with that same cabinet in place and, presumably, after several years of "on the job training."

You're presuming, of course, that it will take several years and that "on the job training" will both happen and help. Your above examples are also great examples of VPs who showed that they would have been no better after four years.

I think that's a more palatable "worst case scenario" than hope that Biden is able to tell his inexperienced boss what to do.

Your scenario wasn't worst case.

Basically, jason and other liberals are arguing that we should vote for Obama because he won't be a leader and will let his number two run things behind the scenes: precisely the thing they attack Bush for.

When on Earth did I say that? How very bsamsish of you.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I don't think anyone plans for their own assassination

But they should, and that's my point.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
The only way that an argument about experience works for you (the left) in this election is if you assume that a VP is running the show. Hence my observation that the argument for Obama-Biden boils down to an argument that the VP will be running things behind the scenes.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
I'm just trying to remember what happened the last time a Presidential candidate picked a woman as his running mate. 3 total electoral votes I believe?

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts

but that's not the scenario with Obama. he'll be president, he has his own ideas. Biden would be a great advisor, and diplomat that could aid in serving those plans and making them work.

Quote:

it's totally different. Cheney is like an evil mastermind behind the scenes in a man-sized safe in his home (which was removed from googlmaps). The company he ran got several no bid contracts in Iraq. That will translate to a lot of money once he leaves office and cracks into the blind trust that he put his Haliburton stock into. Cheney is creepy, his experience always seemed to involve creepy things, the things he said were creepy. And he shot a man in the face and then kept it quiet for a few days.
I think bush and cheney are the most disgusting and yes evil men to occupy that office. I may talk about Mccain agreeing with bush and voting with him way too often, but i don't think anyone will ever be as bad as bush/cheney. you can't draw comparisons between biden and cheney.

Bow ties are coool.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: King Snarf
I'm just trying to remember what happened the last time a Presidential candidate picked a woman as his running mate. 3 total electoral votes I believe?

Yeah, about twenty-five years ago, running against a massively popular incumbent president.

This is hardly the same thing.

Page 2 of 43 1 2 3 4 42 43

Link Copied to Clipboard