Originally Posted By: the G-man

I liked this because it was the John Mccain of old. He's been a bit of a douche in the campaign, no doubt because of the Roveites influencing his ambition for the office.
Hopefully this plus Obama's comments about disagreement over policy not being the same as personally disliking someone will lead to an honest campaign and a debate based on policy and plans.

Unfortunately there are the people like you who will follow Mccain with personal attacks and accusations about Obama.
Like:
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Of course. My bad.

Praise Allah.

Mccain actually admonished one of his supporters for this. I just wonder if you really support Mccain, or are just voting for the republican. Because if the guy you're supporting, the guy you want to be the leader of the country, abhores such attacks on Obama why would you continue on that tact? It seems if anything these kinds of attacks could be Mccain's undoing. If the left says "John Mccain is a great man, but he voted with Bush 90% of the time and we need a change not a third Bush term" and the right is saying "Obama is a terrorist muslim." Then undecideds might be more inclined to go for the more positive approach.

Either way, I feel very good about Obama after that speech. He was very clear in what he planned, had an interesting jabs at Mccain that essentially answered the main criticisms that will be used against him, and he made a very strong argument for Mccain's record being very much in line with Bush.
I think Mccain will have a more trying time next week. Bush is really the issue in this campaign, he has 28% approval. So while Obama had Clinton (high job approval and the Lewinsky stuff is a bit forgotten) Mccain has to walk a very fine line with Bush/Cheney. He has to let them into the convention and have them speak as part of the party line politics, but since those two are so unpopular he can't really praise their work. And where Obama can talk about change, the fine line for Mccain means if he talks too much about new ideas he'll alienate the Bushites and make people wonder why he didn't get that change in his time in the Senate (Obama had an interesting point about how Mccain has done nothing to limit foreign oil in 26 years, why would he start now), but Mccain also can't say too much about "stay the course" in terms of Bush's policies because that's not going to sell him.

Guess we'll have to just wait and see.

Bow ties are coool.