Originally Posted By: Jason E. Perkins
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

It's not the same thing because most people really vote for who they think will be the best President. There's more wiggle room when it comes to VP picks. Besides McCain just has to keep running spots with Biden talking about Obama's lack of experience & leave it at that.

More wiggle room based on what, exactly? Perceptions? Because that's the only thing you offer.

I'm not talking about perception. I'm talking about the fact that a VP pick is potentially as important as the choice for President. I'm not talking about polls or votes. I'm talking about the stuff that happens after the swearing in.

but VPs aren't really seen like that. no matter what comments are made about them being a heartbeat away from the job, VP picks are about seasoning. Adding some little touch that the candidate lacks, or having some demographic/regional pull the candidate may need to win. I don't think anyone plans for their own assassination, and if they had a health issue that could kill them they wouldn't be able to run. Look at Dan Quayle, Dick Cheney. The VP can be something of a non-entity. I'm decent at history but don't know many VPs before my lifetime unless they later won the presidency.

Bow ties are coool.