Originally Posted By: the G-man
 Quote:
Well, counselor...I'm not whomod so I'm not going to search all over the interwebs to find articles to support my claims but, I know this much...Many of my in-laws from rural West Virginia voted Republican in the last 2 elections and are now hurting more economically than they were in 2000 and previous...stimulus check be damned. Most of them will be giving the Dems a try this year.

Purely anecdotal and not admissable in court but there you are....

But even if we accept your anecdote as an example of a broad trend this year, it does not illustrate that the policies "typically" hurt such voters. It only illustrates that they perceive the current policies as hurting them and are considering a change in voting habits for this particular election.

According to Pat Buchanan on MSNBC, the Reagan Democrats voted for him on social issues rather than economic...simialar to the way they voted for Bush. In 2000, the vote was against Clinton's lack of morality rather than for Bush's great policies. In '04, they didn't want to switch horses in the middle of 2 wars so they settled for Bush again.

This year, they will be voting to their economic interests...or at least voting against the party that has the economy in the toilet. In the end, it boils down to the same thing.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You are a god damned idiot, you know that? You ought to be smacked upside your dumb-fuck head, even after all these years. Shame on you!
-USCHI showin' some love