RKMBs
Posted By: Prometheus The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 12:57 AM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 12:58 AM
I thought it would be bigger.
Posted By: rex Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 1:23 AM
It was when I posted it.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 2:09 AM
Pro,Rex says his is bigger than yours.
Posted By: rex Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 2:38 AM
We both used his wifes vagina to measure them.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 2:52 AM
I heard she thought your jpeg was cute.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 2:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People
Pro,Rex says his is bigger than yours.

Heh. If you mean his "bleeding pussy", then you're right...
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 2:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex

*** You are ignoring this pussy ***
Posted By: URG Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 4:15 AM
We both used his wifes vagina to measure them.
Wives should am not be passed around. That am what girlfriends am for.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 4:42 AM
\:lol\: \:lol\:
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-12 4:45 AM
 Originally Posted By: URG

*** You are ignoring this pussy ***
Wives should am not be passed around. That am what girlfriends am for.

Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 12:02 AM
http://www.mania.com/nolan-talks-dark-knight-rises_article_131764.html
 Quote:
"I didn't know him very well," says Nolan of the comic book iteration of Bane. "David Goyer got me a bunch of stuff on him and we looked into him. I only knew him by name, I wasn't familiar with his back story. He's a very cool character. And getting an actor like Tom to take it on, you know you're going to get something very special. Tom is somebody who really knows how to put character into every gesture, every aspect of his physicality in the way that great actors can... With Bane, the physicality is the thing. With a good villain you need an archetype, you know, you need the extreme of some type of villainy. The Joker is obviously a particular archetype of diabolical, chaotic anarchy and has a devilish sense of humor. Bane, to me, is something we haven't dealt with in the films. We wanted to do something very different in this film. He's a primarily physical villain, he's a classic movie monster in a way — but with a terrific brain. I think he's a fascinating character. I think people are going to get a kick out of what we've done with him."

On jumping ahead eight years between last two installments:

"It will make a lot more sense to people when they see the film," Nolan explains. "But it's not a great mystery — it's the jumping-off point for the film — but it's hard for me to articulate it. I think the mood at the beginning of the film will make a lot of sense. If I had to express it thematically, I think what we're saying is that for Batman and Commissioner Gordon, there's a big sacrifice, a big compromise, at the end of the 'The Dark Knight' and for that to mean something, that sacrifice has to work and Gotham has to get better in a sense. They have to achieve something for the ending of that film — and the feeling at the end of that film — to have validity. Their sacrifice has to have meaning and it takes time to establish that and to show that, and that’s the primary reason we did that. It's a time period that is not so far ahead that we would have to do crazy makeup or anything — which I think would be distracting — but it gave them something to get their teeth into, particularly Christian in terms of [portraying] this guy who has been frozen in this moment in time with nowhere to go. He really has done an incredible job figuring out how to characterize that and express that."
Posted By: Rob Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 1:56 AM
the 8 year gap also helps tie the nolan films a bit more to reality, since DKR will hit theaters about the same span of time after BB did. the characters and plot points can almost be detailed to have aged in real time. aka, no need to explain why everyone looks 8 years older when only 3 weeks (or whatever silly movie time) had passed between plots.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 2:30 AM
If he needed to be younger, you can bet Bale would have done some of his method acting shit to age backwards. Or he could create clones of himself like Hugh Jackman did.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 3:00 AM
In the Batman vs. Wolverine movie!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 3:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog

Black Widow was also in that movie!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 3:18 AM
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
 Originally Posted By: Stupid Doog

Black Widow was also in that movie!

This black widow:

Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 5:13 AM
I see she packs a couple of cannons out and available for combat.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 6:14 AM
Those guns can take out a green lantern
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-14 6:26 AM
Very nice, but a photoshop job. Those aren't hers.
Speaking as someone who 'researched' her real pics from a few months ago pretty intensely.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-17 11:43 AM
really hard to make out a lot of what Bane says in the prologue but its still pretty sweet.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-17 3:12 PM
http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/12/script-pages-from-the-dark-knight-rises-have-leaked/
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 10:28 PM
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
http://www.wwtdd.com/2011/12/script-pages-from-the-dark-knight-rises-have-leaked/

Looking at that, I can tell you the movie will suck.

Signed,

Pariah
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:18 PM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:20 PM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:21 PM
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:22 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:26 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-19 11:36 PM
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-21 1:01 AM
http://www.hiphopstan.com/dark-knight-rises-prologue-video/

for anyone who wants to see a bootleg of the prologue
Posted By: rex Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-21 5:01 AM
Both the trailer and prologue were awesome.
Posted By: Rob Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-21 7:20 AM
he's right!

stardust is back!!
Posted By: rex Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-21 7:29 AM
I can see this in a real imax theater!
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2011-12-21 5:45 PM
STOKED!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-12 10:52 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-12 10:52 PM
It's Elderly Ribcage Batman!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-12 10:55 PM
I despair at where the franchise will go Nolan-less after this. Where CAN you go? I wager it will be a studio-driven attempt to emulate the Nolanverse seriousness, but with more T&A and explosions. McG to direct.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-12 10:58 PM
I'd like more of a thug-ish 1930's The Bat-man. Maybe even one that carried a pistol, like in his debut. Real quiet and all business. No identity reveal to friends/lovers. No bitch love interest. And an Alfred that knew his place!

I envision Daniel Craig. Or maybe The Rock.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-12 11:01 PM
Someone needs to get genetic cloning samples from Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sean Connery and Clint Eastwood before they die. We already have samples from John Wayne, Bruce Lee, and Muhammad Ali. THEN and only then will we be able to brew up the perfect actor for...THE BAT-MAN!!

(truth-lasers)tm
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-13 1:27 AM

"One... Two... Cha-cha-cha"
Posted By: Rob Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-13 1:34 AM
110 percent pure adrenaline. woo!
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-13 2:24 AM

"I wish I knew how to quit you"
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-13 2:25 AM
Too soon?
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-01-13 3:09 AM

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/11/tickets-to-dark-knight-rises-already-selling-out/?hpt=hp_bn4
 Quote:

Tickets to 'Dark Knight Rises' already selling out

"The Dark Knight Rises" won't open until July 20, but tickets for a midnight showing are not only on sale - some of them have already been bought out completely.

Entertainment Weekly reports that anxious fans can purchase admission to "The Dark Knight Rises" midnight opening on July 19 in IMAX theaters in San Francisco and Los Angeles using movie ticket e-retailer Fandango.

Unfortunately for those living in the Big Apple, it is already sold out of New York midnight IMAX showings.

A Fandango rep tells EW that it's not unheard of for tickets to go on sale so far in advance, although this is earlier even than "Avatar's" pre-sale, which began four months before it was released in December of 2009.

The furor for this film surely has studio execs at Warner Bros. dreaming of another record-setting box office showing, as "Dark Knight Rises" predecessor, "The Dark Knight," holds the No. 2 spot for best opening weekend thanks to the $158 million it brought in at the box office in 2008.
Posted By: rex Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-04-10 8:16 PM
To hype up The Dark Knight, heath ledger killed himself.
To hype up The Dark Knight Rises, anne hathaway cut her hair.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-04-30 9:29 PM
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-04-30 9:50 PM
I knew that Batman dude can't be trusted!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:35 AM
Posted By: allan1 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:39 AM
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 7:30 AM
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 10:25 AM
They missed the hyphen.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 11:10 AM
Along with the mark.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 11:11 AM
Didn't watch it by the way.
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:04 PM
Looks decent! I don't think Anne Hathaway has the gravitas to fit in with the rest of the cast. But, as an ending, I'm sure it will satisfy as needed...
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Pariah
Along with the mark.

Already downing this movie?

This'll be the greatest Batman film ever!!!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: Prometheus
I don't think Anne Hathaway has the gravitas to fit in with the rest of the cast.

We all know who you'd rather see as Catwoman...

... wait for it...

... wait for it...

... almost there...

Michelle Pfeiffer.

Blam! Twist ending! The Aristocrats!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:33 PM
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:37 PM
Seriously, though, I'll take this....

....over this.....

...any day. And that's not age talking. Or even the aesthetic quality of Pfieffer's superior Selina. It's just that Michelle (SO FAR BASED ON THE TRAILERS WHICH IS NOT A LOT TO GO BY) makes a far more sultry, believable Catwoman, for me.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 6:45 PM
Really. Because the Burton Catwoman acted very little like the comic book Catwoman. She played up the cat gimmick, cracked a whip, and kissed Batman. Aside from that, she just vandalized and sought revenge. From what's been released, which as you pointed out is very little, by the studio, this Catwoman is at least a con artist/thief.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 7:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Along with the mark.

Already downing this movie?

This'll be the greatest Batman film ever!!!

It will get at least a 76% approval rate at rottentomatoes.com!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 7:14 PM
God help us if it only gets 74.5%.
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 8:47 PM
You'll be there to keep it real!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 10:31 PM
Really. Because the Burton Catwoman acted very little like the comic book Catwoman. She played up the cat gimmick, cracked a whip, and kissed Batman. Aside from that, she just vandalized and sought revenge. From what's been released, which as you pointed out is very little, by the studio, this Catwoman is at least a con artist/thief.

I don't need the con-artist/thief angle. I like the older, sultry, fucking-crazy-nympho version. To me, it's better for live-action than "Oh, aren't I just cleverly flirty while still enforcing the Whedon Rule of dominant females! *wink*"

BUT, again, it hasn't come out, so I could be missing key scenes that paint her in a completely different light. We'll see.

BTW, what was the name of Rhas Al-Ghul's manservant? Was it "Ibis" or something like that? Chris Judge from SG-1 is a cast member of this movie, and I swear it looks like him in there pushing down Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Unless he's just playing "Henchmen #2", I could see him playing that manservant of Rhas. But, he'll probably be "Henchmen #2" ;\)
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 10:44 PM
Ubu in the animated series.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 11:07 PM
Sit Ubu, sit.

Good dog.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-01 11:29 PM
Heh. Gotham's football team is 'the Rogues'.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 12:30 AM
Alright, just for moment I'm gonna pretend I care about this film.

You do realize you're endorsing Anne Hathaway as Catwoman right? Nolan film or not, can we not pretend that's anything other than a disaster?

I just sat through the preview (UGH!) and--surprise surprise--she was cracking teen drama quips with a mousy voice that wouldn't even entice a girl-crazy adolescent. I don't expect a Michelle Pfeiffer, but I would expect a full grown woman.

And it's pretty retarded how Nolan tried to put so much emphasis on realism when he described how they wanted to design Batman's suit, car, and toys but they go along with the fifties version of the catsuit--with long hair no less.

Nolan is killing his own vision for the sake of adopting the sassy female foil. Pretty funny really.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 1:19 AM
Alright, just for moment I'm gonna pretend I care about this film.

You've always cared about this and the other Nolan Batman films. You didn't like them, but they were always on your mind. They were always on your mind.

You do realize you're endorsing Anne Hathaway as Catwoman right? Nolan film or not, can we not pretend that's anything other than a disaster?

I just sat through the preview (UGH!) and--surprise surprise--she was cracking teen drama quips with a mousy voice that wouldn't even entice a girl-crazy adolescent. I don't expect a Michelle Pfeiffer, but I would expect a full grown woman.

And it's pretty retarded how Nolan tried to put so much emphasis on realism when he described how they wanted to design Batman's suit, car, and toys but they go along with the fifties version of the catsuit--with long hair no less.

Nolan is killing his own vision for the sake of adopting the sassy female foil. Pretty funny really.

You're right. It's not like Nolan is an auteur director who has made the best Batman films ever made. Wait... he is and has. Guess I'm more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt until I see this film than dump on it because it doesn't live up to your fan fic.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:12 AM
You're right. It's not like Nolan is an auteur director who has made the best Batman films ever made.

Kinda interesting that you call it a Batman film when it seems to be delivering the Iron Man special with the flying assault vehicle and the Black Widow clone...

[insert "innocent whistle" emoticon here]
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:38 AM
it's okay pariah. your disapproval as always will only make the film that much better.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:40 AM
You're right. It's not like Nolan is an auteur director who has made the best Batman films ever made.

Kinda interesting that you call it a Batman film when it seems to be delivering the Iron Man special with the flying assault vehicle and the Black Widow clone...

[insert "innocent whistle" emoticon here]

Batman has never used high-tech devices ever.
And make up your mind. Is Hathaway the 50's Catwoman or a Black Widow clone?
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:41 AM
It looks like a great Nolan movie but I'm not sure it's a great Batman movie.

Which doesn't mean I think it looks like an Iron Man movie, BTW.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:43 AM
I'm stoked!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:52 AM

BTW, what was the name of Rhas Al-Ghul's manservant? Was it "Ibis" or something like that? Chris Judge from SG-1 is a cast member of this movie, and I swear it looks like him in there pushing down Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Unless he's just playing "Henchmen #2", I could see him playing that manservant of Rhas. But, he'll probably be "Henchmen #2" ;\)

yeah i was thinking the same thing when I saw it. I can already hear him calling someone "infidel!"
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 2:53 AM
probably pariah...
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 3:40 AM

The visual nuance seems to differ from device to device. I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car. Having that as the climactic highlight of the preview makes a pretty big Marvel impression.

Quote:

Her clone aspect would be her role as the tag-along fem fatale. Emulating the Julie Newmar look is just insult to injury.

Just ask yourself for a moment: did Black Widow substantively add anything to Iron Man or Avengers beyond the role itself? And do you really think Catwoman is set up to accomplish anything more than that?
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 4:39 AM
Infidel!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 4:39 AM
Just practicing
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 4:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: K-nutreturns

yeah i was thinking the same thing when I saw it. I can already hear him calling someone "infidel!"

The henchman's name in the comics was Ubu. He was Ras' good dog.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:04 AM

The visual nuance seems to differ from device to device. I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car. Having that as the climactic highlight of the preview makes a pretty big Marvel impression.

Quote:

Her clone aspect would be her role as the tag-along fem fatale. Emulating the Julie Newmar look is just insult to injury.

Just ask yourself for a moment: did Black Widow substantively add anything to Iron Man or Avengers beyond the role itself? And do you really think Catwoman is set up to accomplish anything more than that?

I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first? Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept. Again, though, you haven't seen the movie and are already judging every inch of it. Nolan's done a good job so far, despite what you personally think. I'm willing to see how he ends it. His use of Two-Face was different than what people thought it would be. I'm sure Catwoman will be the same.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:25 AM
*Bat plane*

Honestly not trying to mince meanings here, but that's a plane. Not a hi-tech ground and air vehicle. If she had hopped into his plane, he wouldn't have had to say, "This isn't a car," with so much stylistic flare before the camera angles glorified its takeoff.

Originally Posted By: thedocter
I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first?

Don't need to. All I have to do is see the preview with her futilely loading her Glock while that flying whatever-it-is heads in their direction.

Oh yes. She's going to be such a big help in that situation. I'm sure the writers came up with some angle to make her seem useful, but it doesn't really speak to the usefulness of her character if they have to scale down the difficulty of the scenario for the sake of making her look relevant.

Quote:
Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept.

Fair enough. But how does that serve the Iron Man film?
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: the G-man
Which doesn't mean I think it looks like an Iron Man movie, BTW.

Not necessarily saying the movie itself is going to emulate Iron Man. But the way this film is marketed is rather similar to how Iron Man is perceived as a franchise with such common tropes.

I have a feeling that Catwoman wouldn't even be in this film if it weren't for such inclusions as Black Widow. And even if she were, her casting and character would probably be phenomenally different from a thirteen year old quipster on growth hormones.

Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:41 AM
*Bat plane*

Honestly not trying to mince meanings here, but that's a plane. Not a hi-tech ground and air vehicle. If she had hopped into his plane, he wouldn't have had to say, "This isn't a car," with so much stylistic flare before the camera angles glorified its takeoff.

When was there a flying car in Iron Man? Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

Originally Posted By: thedocter
I haven't seen the Avengers, since, you know, it has been released in the states yet. Is this another instance of you reading the script online first?

Don't need to.

That's pretty much the only point you ever want to make.

Quote:
Black Widow's use in IM2 was the same as Nick Fury's. It was prepping and building up the Avengers concept.

Fair enough. But how does that serve the Iron Man film?

It didn't. But Nolan's not building a full comic/movie universe like Marvel is.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:49 AM
That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

Paraih probably isn't familiar with that line having never seen the movies he's bashing
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 5:53 AM
I heard Henry Cavill is going to appear in the ending credits.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 7:19 PM
to ask batman to join the avengers
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-02 7:45 PM
He's probably there to tell Batman to stop using high tech cars and jets, since Iron Man is the only guy to use those.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-03 12:55 AM
When was there a flying car in Iron Man?

"...flying assault vehicle..."

Quote:
Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

"...I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car..."

Nice attempt at a redirect though.

That's pretty much the only point you ever want to make.

So that sequence where she was loading the clip right before the arrival of the flying metal serpent was implying that she was going to take it down with a couple hollow points?

What exactly is the point of a preview in your mind? Because apparently it's always meaningless regardless of its content--and yet you'll still get excited over it.

Quote:

And yet, keeping that motive for a larger universe in mind, Black Widow was stilled used as a selling feature for Iron Man.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-03 1:51 AM
When was there a flying car in Iron Man?

"...flying assault vehicle..."

Quote:
Because that's exactly what you're referring to, right? This Batman trailer having a copy of the flying car in the Iron Man movies, right? That 'this isn't a car' quip is not at all like Gordon's 'I've got to get me one of those' line in Batman Begins, which also must have come out after Iron Man so it could steal the high tech angle that is only in Iron Man movies and not once in a Batman movie or TV show.

"...I'm not about to compare a grappling hook or a remote controlled batarang to a flying car..."

Nice attempt at a redirect though.

Is it a flying car or 'flying assault vehicle'?

You're attempting to redirect to cover up for the fact that you're twisting the context of what you're seeing to make you seem justified in disliking a franchise that pretty much everyone else fucking loves. You keep making it seem like WB is copying Iron Man for their marketing push. Why? Why would they want to copy a series of films that, together, barely made more than The Dark Knight did alone?

"We made over half a billion dollars on The Dark Knight. How much did Iron Man make?"
"About $320 mil."
"And Iron Man 2?"
"About $310 mil."
"You know what we need to do to make money on the next Batman film?"
"Copy the less successful Iron Man franchise?"
"Damn right!"

So that sequence where she was loading the clip right before the arrival of the flying metal serpent was implying that she was going to take it down with a couple hollow points?

Probably more effectively than Hawkeye with a couple of arrows. Seriously, that's as silly as her with the gun. How are people missing that?

What exactly is the point of a preview in your mind? Because apparently it's always meaningless regardless of its content--and yet you'll still get excited over it.

It's not meaningless. It's just not a complete picture. They're going to spend more time on the splodey stuff than characters. Can't really make solid declarations regarding how well the character works in that short amount of time. I still like seeing the splodey stuff.

Quote:

And yet, keeping that motive for a larger universe in mind, Black Widow was stilled used as a selling feature for Iron Man.

Here's a little secret for you, Pariah: most men like seeing hot chicks bouncing around in tight clothes. We also prefer our women without cocks. I can see how you are unable to integrate into the greater society.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-08 6:58 AM
Is it a flying car or 'flying assault vehicle'?

Use your best judgment as to what you think I mean and you'll probably be right.

Suffice it to say, military exposure has confined my general understanding of the phrase "assault vehicle" to ground units.

Quote:
You're attempting to redirect to cover up for the fact that you're twisting the context of what you're seeing to make you seem justified in disliking a franchise that pretty much everyone else fucking loves.

You think I choose to hate certain movies because everyone else likes them? How does that explain the Iron Man films?

Quote:
You keep making it seem like WB is copying Iron Man for their marketing push. Why? Why would they want to copy a series of films that, together, barely made more than The Dark Knight did alone?

Honestly, two reasons:

1) There's always room for improvement of sales.

2) That's the way the wind is sailing with comic franchises. Warner Bros. is evolving its own marketing according to the success of Marvel's so it can keep up and stay ahead. To be frank, this preview strikes me as a departure from the original approaches. Aside from the tech, there's the action and team elements that weren't so apparent in the previous films' previews.

Quote:
Probably more effectively than Hawkeye with a couple of arrows. Seriously, that's as silly as her with the gun. How are people missing that?

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. They're both useless. She was just the topic of the moment.

Quote:
Can't really make solid declarations regarding how well the character works in that short amount of time.

"Works" the way Black Widow does in Iron Man? I'm not going to necessarily deny the claim that Black Widow "worked" insofar as she didn't hurt the film or distract from its point. I'm sure the same is going to be the case with Avengers. But as it is, she's completely ancillary; the film would execute fine regardless of her implementation.

The presence of Catwoman's character is similar in that it suggests fulfillment of a commercial role that, above all else, only holds a relevance to certain demographics. That doesn't seem to mesh with the idea that she's a cohesive element that's indispensable to the story/character rather than a modular aspect that you can add or detach from the film according to a gauged desire for a lightening/sassy female presence.

Quote:
Here's a little secret for you, Pariah: most men like seeing hot chicks bouncing around in tight clothes. We also prefer our women without cocks. I can see how you are unable to integrate into the greater society.

Buuut...You don't disagree that it adds nothing substantive to the film, yes? These qualities describe just another form of marketing that's more integrated with the film.

...And nowadays, I'm sure comic fans would be okay with her having a penis.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-05-08 7:04 AM
Double Post.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-03 4:17 AM
So we're looking at a Knightfall meets No Man's Land meets Dark Knight Returns.

I'm still stoked!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-03 7:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: K-Nutreturns
So we're looking at a Knightfall meets No Man's Land meets Dark Knight Returns.

with a penis!

Originally Posted By: K-Nutreturns

I'm still stoked!

me too!
Posted By: iggy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-03 8:03 AM
x3
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-12 6:23 PM
Rises Takes A Light Tone
 Quote:
HOLLYWOOD, CA—Stating that "the time has come for a tonal shift" in the blockbuster series, director Christopher Nolan announced Thursday that the forthcoming Batman film The Dark Knight Rises would take a lighter, more humorous tone than its predecessors, and would be filled with "slapstick, primary colors, and just plain old fun."

"I was somewhat happy with the first two films—probing the psychological landscape of Gotham from an adult perspective is sort of neat, if you like that kind of thing," Nolan told reporters at a promotional event. "But then I realized, 'Hey, what am I doing? Batman is a superhero. Superheroes are supposed to be fun and for kids.' So this time around, I wanted to make something nice and light and simple, because people aren't looking for a civics lesson with Batman. They just want some pleasant, mindless diversion."

"After all, we're talking about a comic-book movie here," Nolan added. "Let's lighten things up a bit, shall we?"

According to Nolan, in early script meetings for the sequel, proposed plot threads tended to focus on familiar themes of the pained inner life of Bruce Wayne/Batman, his complicated relationship with Gotham law enforcement, the depraved nihilism of the city's criminal element, and the crushing weight of his traumatic memory of his parents' murder.

However, Nolan said, he soon grew weary of the treatment's often somber and starkly realistic tone, and opted instead to focus on the fact that Batman comes from an "enjoyable little picture book" and should therefore not be approached with such grave solemnity.

"It hit me all of a sudden that comic books are really just silly and frivolous things, and that the people who read them are primarily children or fun-loving adults who are looking for a cheery, good old-fashioned romp," Nolan said. "I mean, it's Batman, for God's sake, not Richard III. We should just go goofy with it. And so we did."

The film's screenplay, co-written with veteran film and television writer Lorenzo Semple Jr., reportedly concerns a coalition of villains who form a "Batman Revenge Society." The groups aims to murder Batman (Christian Bale) with, at various times, a plummeting steel safe, jets of cyanide gas concealed in a stuffed moose head, a trapdoor over a shark tank, a beautifully wrapped but ticking gift box, a gorilla trained to go berserk when it sees Batman, a sexy but ungrounded female robot, and a Rube Goldberg–style contraption that, roughly 90 seconds after activation, propels a whirling buzz saw blade into the midsection of whoever is standing on a painted bull's-eye target.

"I feel like I really went back to Batman's roots and discovered the character's true essence," Nolan said. "And that essence turned out to be in the Batman comics from 1940 through 1970, the 1960s Adam West series, the 1970s Super Friends episodes, the actually quite enjoyable films of Joel Schumacher, and Batman's cameo appearances on Scooby-Doo. These were my creative touchstones as I completed my trilogy."

Nolan promised the new film would whisk children of all ages into the fun four-color world of Gotham City, and delight them with whimsical surprises, including an extended car chase through a paint factory, zoo, and outdoor wedding; a new Batmobile whose onboard computer is programmed with a childlike personality able to honk its horn to signal approval or retreat into an alley when scared; and a humorous subplot concerning the inability of Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) to get a Murphy bed to stay down.

The director also said Rises would be the "most merchandisable" Batman film in years, and he promised a vast array of licensed tie-ins, from infant onesies and light-up children's shoes to an expansion module for the Lego Batman video game and a special Dark Knight Rises edition of Monopoly featuring all the zany locations and characters from the film.

"Best of all, there will be absolutely none of the confusing moral ambiguity that dragged down The Dark Knight," Nolan said. "People don't want all that pompous 'Who's the real monster, Batman or the criminals he pursues?' junk. They want to see the Joker get a big sockeroo on the chin and get tangled up in a net. That's classic funny-book entertainment."

"Needless to say, no one could ever replace Heath Ledger as the Joker," Nolan added, "but I have to say that Rob Schneider stepped up like a pro. He's just naturally funny and a real cutup, which is what you want in the Joker."

Nolan confirmed he is open to continuing the franchise indefinitely on an accelerated pace of up to one feature per year, "as long as people keep going to see them," and he has asked fans to participate in a DC Comics online poll to select the next film's villains.

"As long as I get to give the movie-going public the whiz-bang action and goofy comedy they crave, I'm artistically satisfied," he added.

Opening July 20, The Dark Knight Rises stars Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and the yet-to-be-announced winner of the Nickelodeon/Capri Sun "I Wanna Co-star with Batman" Sweepstakes as either Robin or Batgirl.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-12 6:46 PM
After this film, WB/DC will probably hire a director who actually does all that on the theory that the Avengers had humor.
Posted By: Stupid Doog Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-12 7:05 PM
BRILLIANT MOVE NOLAN!! LOL I M sooo xcitid! :-P

-Sincerely, Joel Schumacher
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-12 10:42 PM
I'd watch the shit out of a The Bat-Man movie by the guy who did Scott Pilgrim.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-12 10:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
I'd watch the shit out of a The Bat-Man movie by the guy who did Scott Pilgrim.

Give it a surf rock soundtrack and I'd be so there.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-13 8:35 PM
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-14 2:16 AM
Thanks for sharing, Lothar.
Posted By: MrJSA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-15 9:27 PM
Infidel!
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-17 1:44 PM
got tickets to the 11:59 showing at the theater behind where I work. gonna make my brother get in line and hold down the fort until I clock off at 10, this is gonna be awesome.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-17 4:43 PM
rawk!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-18 3:45 AM
my buddy managed to get midnight Imax for us. I don't know who he had to kill but I'm thankful.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-18 4:11 AM
my buddy managed to get midnight Imax for us. I don't know who he had to kill but I'm thankful.

A philanthropist doctor and his wife in a dark alley somewhere, their kid was spared but he will remember the fateful day for the rest of his life.
Posted By: MrJSA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-18 4:48 AM
lol!
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-18 4:48 AM
\:lol\:
Posted By: MrJSA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-19 12:38 AM
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-19 2:52 AM
awesome
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-19 2:52 AM

A philanthropist doctor and his wife in a dark alley somewhere, their kid was spared but he will remember the fateful day for the rest of his life.

worth it.

\:lol\:
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-19 4:40 AM
Did Letterman spoil Dark Knight's ending?
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 3:49 PM
At Least 12 Dead In Shooting At Colorado 'Batman' Showing: Police say they have a suspect in custody, reportedly identified as 24-year-old James Holmes, who witnesses say was armed with a rifle and handguns, and who wore what appeared to be a bullet-proof vest and gas mask.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 4:12 PM
I wonder if the theater gave out refunds.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 4:15 PM
I'm also pretty sure that this is the reason why no one would go to the movies with rex.
Posted By: MrJSA Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 8:25 PM
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 9:28 PM
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 9:31 PM
Great. Now they'll will start banning AR-15 assault rifles from movie theaters.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-20 11:31 PM
The movie was awesome. The tragedy was sad
Posted By: iggy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 2:54 AM

I think that just about sums up my feelings on the movie.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:26 AM
No big surprise. I knew this movie was gonna suck.
Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:53 AM
No big suprise. We knew you would say it sucked.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 7:19 AM
Then again, no one could have known exactly how much it was going to bomb. I mean, it was so bad that someone actually started shooting during the premiere.
Posted By: iggy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 8:25 AM
Death it is...by exile!
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 9:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: iggy
Death it is...by exile!

yeah that was a good one
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 9:43 AM
This movie turned out to be so bad that 12 people died while watching it. How much worse can it possible get?
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 4:24 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 4:51 PM
This movie turned out to be so bad that 12 people died while watching it. How much worse can it possible get?

It can only get worse if you actually like it.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:28 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/036536_James_Holmes_shooting_false_flag.html

The real clue that the shooting was staged is that no real Batman fan would say call himself the Joker after dying his hair red.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:40 PM
Also, there's photos of James Holmes floating around on Facebook showing him being dragged away by the police in one of the Occupy rallies.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:41 PM
On the other hand, there's also facebook posts saying that he's a tea partier. It's like the RKMBs' politics section in there right now.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 6:59 PM
So without too many spoilers was the movie about Cialis or Viagra?
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 7:21 PM
On the other hand, there's also facebook posts saying that he's a tea partier...

The 'tea partier' thing is because some idiot at ABC news did a google search and found out that there was James Holmes who was a tea partier...but missed the part where that James Holmes was also a 52 year old hispanic male.

Beyond that, it's pretty obvious that this was about a guy being crazy, not political.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 7:55 PM
I wonder if anybody dressed as Batman in the theater tried to stop him?
Posted By: Rob Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 9:06 PM
saw it thursday at midnight (duh)
thought it was awesome (duh)

i honestly think the only real negative about the film is that i can't talk about it with anyone until they've seen it, because its almost entirely spoilerific from start to finish.

but yeah, friggin amazing movie. perfect finale to a perfect three-part story.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-21 9:40 PM
I wonder if anybody dressed as Batman in the theater tried to stop him?

Maybe, but an overweight 30 year old in fake body armor isn't going to be very effective.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-22 9:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob
perfect finale to a perfect three-part story.

Posted By: iggy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-23 7:50 AM
I've seen plenty of people on other sites bitching about the
Warning, Spoiler:
Talia reveal. They said it was to obvious and badly done. I argue that that was the point. The only way, IMO, Nolan could've made it any clearer was if he had her constantly referring to Bruce as "Beloved."

I saw it more as helping to draw the contrast between Bruce's falling star and Blake's ascendant one. Save for when Gordon reminded him to check his corners, Blake was always one step ahead of everything. Who is Batman? Blake knows. How do we get Gordon out of the sewer? Blake knows. Who is the only cop not trapped in the tunnels? Blake knows. Blake's biggest vice in the whole movie is that he is trapped within the confines of the law. He's freed of that at the end.

Batman, on the other hand, spends so much time fighting the demon that he couldn't see Satan staring him in the face. When they first talk, she gives a balance of good and evil speech like Ra's. Had the scar. Sure, Batman didn't know that Bane thought all was going according to plan when she was made CEO over Daggert or that Bane pulled her from the line-up at court, but we saw that. And, that was the point. Was it supposed to surprise us that it was she that climbed out of the prison rather than Bane, sure. But, I don't think it should've ever been doubted that she was a villain in all of this. The question was how much of a role she played.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-23 12:08 PM
I don't get why people always have this need for every movie to have a big reveal or a massive plot twist.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-24 11:56 PM
On the other hand, there's also facebook posts saying that he's a tea partier...

The 'tea partier' thing is because some idiot at ABC news did a google search and found out that there was James Holmes who was a tea partier...but missed the part where that James Holmes was also a 52 year old hispanic male.

Beyond that, it's pretty obvious that this was about a guy being crazy, not political.

It was such an embarassing speculation on their part that they later were forced to apologize for it.

But it was a rather small and obscure retraction. And pretty much the only place the wild speculation and retraction got any coverage was by Breitbart and other conservative media.

Just pointing out:

1) The Tea Party began 3 years ago, the liberal media immediately began speculating that they were crazy and violent, going out of their way to find the 1 in 10,000 protestors that had a questionable sign that could be interpreted (not actually) to be racist or inciting violence.

2) Two years later when the Occupy Wall Street movement began, the same liberal media went out of their way to avoid reporting, excuse and downplay ACTUAL violence on the part of OWS. While still demonizing the Tea Party that in four years now has committeed absolutely no violence.

3) When Jared Loughner shot Rep. Giffords and many others in Arizona, the liberal media viciously and factlessly blamed the shooting on the Tea Party. Despite that friends and fellow students of Loughner described him as a "liberal pothead" and there was absolutely no evidence of him ever visiting a conservative/Tea Party website or physical meeting. But the media slanders on, and as if Loughner being a Tea Party member was not in complete contradiction of the facts.

4) Likewise, when the Trayvon Martin shooting occurred, they were quick to similarly label George Zimmerman as a white racist predator of an innocent black kid. And was somehow typical of the white racist Tea Party right to bear arms gun-toting mentality. Except --OH NO!!-- Zimmerman turned out to be racially and culturally hispanic, and even a registered Democrat, so that liberal-media slander didn't hold up to scrutiny either.

5) Now we have this nut-job cutting loose in an Aurora, Colorado movie theatre and killing 12 people and wounding 59. And --what a shock!!-- the media once again tried to smear the Tea Party as somehow responsible for the crime, despite the evidence for that assertion quickly falling apart.

Would that the liberal media were held accountable for their consistent lies, over a four- year period. And counting.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-25 2:17 AM
Damnit, you guys just had to have wondy post in here. Now this thread is ruined. Ruined!
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-25 4:13 AM
Damnit, you guys just had to have wondy post in here. Now this thread is ruined. Ruined!

BOO!

Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-25 4:36 AM

Posted By: Lothar of The Hill People Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-25 11:49 PM
started slow
got better
overhaul a good movie

After the credits there was a scene where Sam Jackson asked Bats to join the Justice League initiative.

spoilers
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-28 8:06 AM
 Originally Posted By: Knut

Dude.
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-28 8:16 AM
It was great! I liked that they made a heavy movie out of two shameless 90s crossovers. Now I wanna see Doomsday/Electric Superman.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-28 8:34 AM
 Quote:
Now I wanna see Doomsday/Electric Superman.

Dude.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-28 6:25 PM
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
 Originally Posted By: Knut

Dude.

whoops.

the movie was still awesome
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-28 10:06 PM
 Quote:
Now I wanna see Doomsday/Electric Superman.

Dude.

What does mine say?
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 12:34 AM
Just saw it in IMAX, fuck yeah! Great movie. This one was a bit more 'comicbookish' than the others, but it was still enjoyable. Best of all, it didn't feel like a 3 hour movie. Well paced. Plus, there's plenty of stuff in there that'll piss Pariah off. Who can ask for anything more? (Toyota!) I really like how the Catwoman cat ears were played off. Really makes everyone who bitched about them look like tards.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 5:18 AM
Just got back from seeing it. Good movie, but flawed in ways that made me feel like it wasn't a real Batman movie.

I liked the nods to Frank Miller. I thought all of the main actors except Hardy did a good job. Hardy's a good actor but given the mask and the dubbed in voice, he was wasted in the part. Anne Hathaway was a great "Batman Year One" style Catwoman. Definitely the best Catwoman since Julie Newmar. Bale didn't overdue the "frog throat" voice this time around. Oldman is always good.

The action scenes were very good.

Mxy is correct when he points out that Nolan did a good job of turning two or three crossover stories (that weren't that great to begin with) into an actual coherent and compelling story.

And I loved that the whole subtext of movie was basically "Batman vs Occupy Wall Street."

As for the flaws, the biggest was that it didn't have enough actual Batman in it.

First off, you had the whole "he retired eight years ago after his girlfriend and Harvey were killed" thing. They hinted his injuries were also to blame but that wasn't really established in the prior film (and his injuries were obviously not that bad if he could overcome them-and the broken back-while in the League of Shadows prison). Furthermore, if I recall correctly, the whole point of the last movie being called "the Dark Knight" was the idea that Batman would now, after being framed for Dent's death, continue to guard Gotham as its hated protector. Instead, he retired. That contradicted the prior movie. Furthermore, it contradicts a pretty basic idea of Batman: when he loved ones get killed by criminals he goes for revenge.

Then, they never adequately explained why Bruce suddenly decided to come back.

This meant the first 45 minutes of the movie wasn't about Batman. It was about Bane and Catwoman and Bruce being a recluse.
The would have been better off just having him still operating as Batman the whole time after the last movie.

Similarly, while I understood WHY Nolan did it, the film spent too much time on "fake Robin."

As for why it didn't always feel like a proper Batman movie, Nolan missed the essential component of Bruce Wayne's psyche. Whether Adam West or Frank Miller, "real" Batman is not about "cleaning up Gotham," or saving it. He knows that will never happen. As Gordon mentioned, even a perfect city has crime. Bruce Wayne is Batman because his parents were murdered and now he is obsessed with fighting criminals. If there's even one criminal left in Gotham, Batman is going to be after him. And Batman isn't Bruce's idea of a symbol to inspire people. Batman is supposed to scare them. So having Bruce "retire" twice: first after Dent's death and then at the end of the movie is not Batman. Even at the end of "the Dark Knight Return" comic book, Bruce didn't really retire, he just changed his method of operation. And, yes, there were hints of this in the prior Nolan films, but at the end of TDK it seemed as if Batman had given up this whole idea of retiring in order to be Gotham's "Dark Knight" forever.

Again, I liked the movie. I just think it missed the mark on that one aspect of Bruce Wayne's persona.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 5:33 AM
Yeah, I didn't like the idea of a retired Batman at the beginning of the film either.

To me Bruce Wayne was much too driven for that.

I can see him retiring in the Batman Beyond fashion where he just gets to the point that due to his age he is more of a danger operating as Batman than a help.
Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53 Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 5:35 AM
I do have to say Nolan's Batman was always a bit lazy.
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 5:40 AM
Yeah, I didn't like the idea of a retired Batman at the beginning of the film either.

I can see him retiring in the Batman Beyond fashion where he just gets to the point that due to his age he is more of a danger operating as Batman than a help.

Presactly. If anything, they should have started the movie with Bruce still in action and at his physical peak. Then have Bane break him, which requires him to use Waynetech to compensate for his deteriorating condition (basically, the climb out of the prison sapping the last bit of natural strength out his body). Then, you could have still had him fake his death at the end but when Alfred sees Bruce with Selina in Italy that's when he has the cane, etc.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 7:39 AM
Maybe he just didn't want Robin getting in his light.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 8:49 AM

First off, you had the whole "he retired eight years ago after his girlfriend and Harvey were killed" thing.

On the contrary, it fits perfectly with Nolan's vision thus far since IT'S NOT BASED OFF THE ACTUAL BATMAN ORIGIN!!

Seriously, I don't know why I keep hearing people complain about this. If you were happy with the first film, then you were approving of the whole 'Bruce Wayne in a mask' origin as opposed to 'Batman the Ego'. Nolan said specifically that he wanted to concentrate on portraying a "person" dressing up and playing vigilante. i.e. Not a driven lunatic who literally perceives himself as the amalgamation of man and bat. As such, he's not going to have the same drive.

Buyer's remorse much?
Posted By: the G-man Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 3:57 PM
 Quote:
Seriously, I don't know why I keep hearing people complain about this. If you were happy with the first film, then you were approving of the whole 'Bruce Wayne in a mask' origin as opposed to 'Batman the Ego'.

Batman is open to many interpretations. However, going back to Bob Kane and Bill Finger, continuing through Adam West, Denny O'Neill and Steve Englehart and up to Frank Miller and others, it was always "Bruce Wayne in a mask." Bruce Wayne just happens to be obsessed with avenging his parents' murder by warring upon criminals while wearing a mask.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 4:17 PM
Lothar's ass is open to many interpretations!
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 4:17 PM
gay sex interpretations!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 4:39 PM
I think the whole purpose of Nolan's bat films is to put an actual human in the cape and cowl and what that does to a real person. Rises was about a Batman who lost everything he was trying to protect by being Batman and, therefore, losing his way.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 8:28 PM
Batman is open to many interpretations. However, going back to Bob Kane and Bill Finger, continuing through Adam West, Denny O'Neill and Steve Englehart and up to Frank Miller and others, it was always "Bruce Wayne in a mask." Bruce Wayne just happens to be obsessed with avenging his parents' murder by warring upon criminals while wearing a mask.

Frank Miller was the one who pointed out and defined the functional distinctions between the two personalities. If he's to be believed, that's the reason why so many writers were angry with him after he wrote DKR.

And I can't prove it, but I'd like to think that Bill Finger thought the same way. I'm pretty sure he was feeding Bob Kane lines when Kane clarified that character's mission would have been cut short if he had known who the killer was from the get go.

Above all else, what I'm saying is that Nolan and Goyer were both aware of exactly which defining moments they needed to properly change the player from Batman to Bruce Wayne: instead of having a faceless killer that Bruce Wayne and Batman associated with all of crime, they instead had Joe Chill. So even if there are different interpretations, they in particular were still operating off Frank Miller's observation.
Posted By: Pariah Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 8:33 PM
I think the whole purpose of Nolan's bat films is to put an actual human in the cape and cowl and what that does to a real person. Rises was about a Batman who lost everything he was trying to protect by being Batman and, therefore, losing his way.

Do you really think that's a more profound alternative though?

Personally, one of the most attractive features about the character to me is the egoism involved; an individual who dresses up and fights crime because he has a selfish, base, and esoteric urge to do so rather than someone who feels they have an obligation to a greater good--or just a fascination with vigilantism for that matter.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-30 9:09 PM
In the era where superheroes have become mainstream, I think it is nice to put the concept into a real world frame instead of just of the classic comic book concession of 'this will go on forever'. This is a Batman with a complete story with an actual end instead of a continuous need to sell books on a monthly basis.
Posted By: K-nutreturns Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-31 9:04 AM
ive seen in three times now. the best way to view it really is on imax. i highly recommend seeing it that way if possible.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-31 9:35 AM
how about if I watch it on a 14 inch screen but I put my eyes real close to the screen?
Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-07-31 10:57 PM
You'd have to put them really really close, because your eyes are small, because you're Asian.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: The Dark Knight Rises - 2012-08-01 3:03 AM
my eyes are black, because they like to steal glances!
© RKMBs