RKMBs

• Chevrolet El Camino
    Introduced: 1959

The front end of a car and the back end of a pickup—convenient but unsightly. The El Camino went through several redesigns, each worse than the one before. This 1982 model seemed to be wearing dental braces, and the chrome accents over its wheel housing only draw the eye to mystifying hub caps.
I agree that the Camino there is ugly, but not all of them were. The 70's had some nice designs.

• Citroën Ami
    Introduced: 1961
    Design: Flaminio Bertoni

This car has fenders that drop below the tire line and a top that extends from the back like a porch roof. Add some oddly shaped windows and dot-sized brake lights for a uniquely strange-looking vehicle.

• Lightburn Zeta
    Introduced: 1963

This Australian car was designed by a maker of cement mixers and washing machines, but that might be obvious. There are two grilles, both in a fence-like pattern, with protruding headlights on either side.

• Wartburg 353
    Introduced: 1965

Can you find one thing you like about this East German car?

• Volkswagen Thing
    Introduced: 1969

This is the design philosophy of the Thing: Take the basics of the Beetle—an engine, powertrain, and seats—and plop them in an unfinished metal box. There's no front grille, the bumper is an afterthought, and nobody bothered to round the fenders.
Personally, I don't really think that the VW Thing is ugly. Different? Yes, by miles. I just think it's a different aesthetic. I see that car, and I suddenly want to drive across Poland for some reason.

• AMC Gremlin
    Introduced: 1970
    Design: Richard A. Teague

Introduced on April Fool's Day, the Gremlin was ugly, but it's had its fans. Still, that doesn't excuse the abruptly angled back end, saucer hubcaps, and aborted rear windows. It also came in some nasty colors, like the brown-copper concoction seen here.

• Bond Bug
    Design: Ogle Design

No, it has nothing to do with James Bond, and yes, it was legally driven on real roads. The Bug defies car design language with three wheels, a boat-like bottom, and zip windows.

• Ford Pinto
    Design: Robert Eidschun

The Pinto doesn't seem so bad—that is, until you remember how sexy Fords (F) from the 1960s were. The design devolved into hexagonal headlight housings, a grille that's only a few inches tall yet wide enough to become the car's focal point, and a rear end that apparently melted from the roof.

• Ford Mustang II
    Introduced: 1973

Somehow, Ford transformed the classic first-generation Mustang into this. Gone are the sleek lines, side intakes, and close-to-the-road profile. Instead, the Mustang II looks like many cars of the '70s: bloated, heavy, bland, and forgettable.
The beginning of a downward spiral that took almost 30 years to pull the 'stang out of.
I may be wrong, but I don't see the Pontiac Aztek on that list.

If it's an omission that's a big one.

• Bricklin SV1
    Introduced: 1974

This ride has a well-earned reputation for being a complete mechanical clunker—and it looked like one, too. The front end is squared like an awful dress shoe, is wider than the driver's cabin, and rises high before sloping down dramatically, giving it a front-heavy, unstable appearance.
 Originally Posted By: the G-man of Zur-En-Arrh

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/39.htm
 Originally Posted By: iggy

Correction. I found it. Fifth row down. Center column. It was hard to spot because they used a photo of the back.

Somewhere in time, Doc is crying.
Those mother fuckers obviously have something against time travel.

Seriously, though, some of their choices are off, as least as far as I'm concerned. Not a big fan of the PT Cruiser myself, but it was hugely popular.

I gotta disagree with this. I'm not saying the Sable was a great car by any means. I'm just not so sure it was "bleh," just really "eh."
The DeLorean was not an ugly car by any means.
A shit car, yes, but ugly, no!

Yeah, definitely not a Bond worthy Aston Martin.
I also, for the most part, liked the Prowler and Chevy SSR truck.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor
Those mother fuckers obviously have something against time travel.

Seriously, though, some of their choices are off, as least as far as I'm concerned. Not a big fan of the PT Cruiser myself, but it was hugely popular.

Originally Posted By: Nöwheremän
The DeLorean was not an ugly car by any means.
A shit car, yes, but ugly, no!

I would have put the Geo Metro convertible on the list before either of those

That thing just screamed "cheap piece of shit."
Where's the fucking Le Car?

Only homos hate the El Camino.

They nailed this one perfectly. But, I don't think the avalanche alone is guilty of the whole abrupt ending in regard to the rear bed. Truck beds are becoming almost non-existent at this point all to try and appeal to people who feel compelled to own a truck without ever using a truck for truck purposes. Sure, one can own whatever vehicle they care for, but considering I like to haul shit...most trucks these days just aren't up to snuff.
I'm not a fan of it, but I guy I work with is in love with it and wishes he could buy one. It'd be perfect for him since he heads up his son's Boy Scout troop. A good family truck able to haul people and gear.
The Nissan Cube is an ugly piece of shit, though. Looks even uglier in person than it does on TV.
Yeah, I can see it for uses like that. I just get a little confounded by people who own a truck they're too scared to ding. I just wonder, "What the hell did you buy a truck for?"
Also, they give shit to the Prius and Tata, but ignore the SmartCar?

I'm not a fan of it, but I guy I work with is in love with it and wishes he could buy one. It'd be perfect for him since he heads up his son's Boy Scout troop. A good family truck able to haul people and gear.

A bed that small, however, you might as well just buy a full sized SUV and throw the gear in the back of that. At the same time you'd have better stability in bad weather.

About the only advantage of the truck would be hauling stuff that, for one reason or another, is too dirty or smelly to put in an enclosed cab.
The One told us it was "the car of the future."

-BusinessWeek

Maybe they figured out it shouldn't count as a car, but as a golf cart.
there seems to be a clear slant towards the 1970s, which isn't all that fair, since the cars weren't necessarily perceived as ugly at the time; they're just dated in design.
And where the fuck is the 80's Dodge Charger?

And where the fuck is the 80's Dodge Charger?

Ghastly. Good call.
How the fuck can anyone call an Ferrari Enzo, ugly?
They're retarded.
Oh, and this is quite possibly the ugliest car ever, and its a new one!
maybe i missed it on the list, but i didnt see the Chrsler K Car:

PistonHeads.com
Speed Matters
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen
there seems to be a clear slant towards the 1970s, which isn't all that fair, since the cars weren't necessarily perceived as ugly at the time....

I don't know about that. As someone old enough to remember the 70s pretty well it seemed to us kids that most of the cars were nondescript at best and ugly at worst.

Sure you had exceptions (primarily muscle cars) but overall, people just weren't excited by what Detroit was selling (in no small part because they hadn't planned for the Arab oil embargo and were caught trying to play "catch up" with small car designs).
The Element is a fugly box. Is it on the list?
 Originally Posted By: iggy

They nailed this one perfectly. But, I don't think the avalanche alone is guilty of the whole abrupt ending in regard to the rear bed. Truck beds are becoming almost non-existent at this point all to try and appeal to people who feel compelled to own a truck without ever using a truck for truck purposes. Sure, one can own whatever vehicle they care for, but considering I like to haul shit...most trucks these days just aren't up to snuff.

Any truck worth having needs at least an eight foot bed.
 Originally Posted By: The YouTube video poster

Pretty lame, Lothar...
They all look like cars to me.
Yes, I've seen one before.
the chieftain owns it
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
maybe i missed it on the list, but i didnt see the Chrsler K Car:

Ah, memories. I-Man and I shared a Dodge 600 back in high school that looked just like that (except silver with white vinyl on the back half of the roof.)

Shockingly, it didn't impress the ladies, but it beat taking the school bus.
RASCIST!!!
I must also ask 'where the fuck is the Avanti?'

The Smartcar is a most beloved car.
I stood up and applauded Mercedes for inventing a car that is only 3/4 of a normal car.
I must also ask 'where the fuck is the Avanti?'

Yeah, I've never seen the appeal of that car but some people love it.
© RKMBs