RKMBs
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-27 10:47 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/...san-francisco/1

Quote:
After months of speculation, the wait is nearly over. All eyes will be fixed on Apple CEO Steve Jobs as he appears on stage at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts to announce what most everyone presumes will be an Apple Tablet.

USA TODAY is at Apple's own state of the union, which starts at 1 p.m. ET. We'll set the scene and let you know throughout the event just what Jobs announces - and what it all means.

Among those spotted in the crowd: former vice president Al Gore and Intuit co-founder Scott Cook.

1:06 p.m. ET: Apple CEO Steve Jobs has just taken the stage wearing his customary black turtleneck and blue jeans. Jobs says the company just sold its 250 millionth iPod, while Apple stores have welcomed 50 million visitors in the last quarter.

1:12 p.m. ET: It's official. Jobs unveils the very thin iPad tablet computer. Jobs claims it will offer the best browsing experience you can have, like "holding the Internet in your hands."

1:14 p.m.: The device will include e-mail, photos, maps, built-in iTunes store and YouTube functionality.

1:16 p.m.: Jobs is demonstrating the iPad, visiting the home pages of The New York Times, Time Magazine and Fandango.

1:20 p.m.: Jobs offers a quick view of e-mail before moving onto photos. Photos looks a lot like the iPhoto app on the Mac. You can switch the device from portrait to landscape view. Users can also look at photo as albums. If on a Mac, users can get events, places and faces, as well as flick left or right through photos.

1:23 p.m.: Jobs is showing a slideshow of Paris on the iPad. Nice effects. As for managing your music, you can scroll through albums, tap on something you like to play a song. The device will include the iTunes store built in. No word on storage for the device or if Jobs is playing music from the "cloud" or the device itself.

1:28 p.m.: Jobs moves on to the calendar. Users can drag their finger over events to get a weekly or daily view. The Contacts application looks sharp. Jobs transitions to the Maps app. Viewing the Eiffel Tower, Jobs taps a corner to go to satellite view. Users can pinch the image to move in close.

Jobs moves from the Eiffel Tower to the event's current location in San Francisco. He types in sushi using the iPad's virtual keyboard and finds nearby sushi places, including up-close pictures of a local sushi restaunt called Sushi Boat. Jobs now shows off YouTube video, playing an HD video of a surfing dog. Looks surprisingly nice.

1:33 p.m.: "Watching it is nothing like getting one in your hands," Jobs says, before moving on to the iPad's technical specs. The device is 0.5 inches thin and weights 1.5 pounds, thinner and lighter than any netbook. It has a 9.7-inch IPS (high quality) display and full capacity multi-touch screen. The device is powered by Apple's own custom silicon chip.

The iPad will be available with 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB of Flash storage. It will also include Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a speaker, microphone, compass and 30-pin connector to plug into iPod accessories.

As for battery life, Jobs says it last up to 10 hours. You always have to take battery claims with a grain of salt, but if that is close to being true, that is a big deal.

1:37 p.m.: Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iPhone software takes the stage to talk about the App Store. He says there are currently 140,000 apps on the store. "We built iPad to run virtually every one of these apps right out of the box," Forstall says.

1:40 p.m.: The apps will automatically scale up full screen when you tap "2x". Forstall is launching ESPN X Games SnoCross, an arcade racing game. Looks good. Users steer with the accelerometer. It looks surprinslgy smooth during the demonstration.

Users can hook the iPad up to iTunes and download apps they already have and they're good to go. Forstall says a developer that spends time modfiying applications can take full advantage of the touch screen display.

Apple has also enhanced the iPhone SDK (developers' kit), so developers can go to apple.com today to download. The SDK includes an iPod simulator, so developers can run iPad apps right on Mac during development. Every iPad will have access to the App Store built in.

1:45 p.m.: Mark Hickey of Gameloft appears on stage to demonstrate the iPad's gameplay mechanics with shooter Nova. Next up is Martin Nisenholtz of The New York Times, a long rumored partner), who says the device is the best of print with the best of digital all rolled into one.

From the front page (with condensed story views), you can click on stories - all in color - and sections, and save articles for reading lists that sync to the iPhone. Users can also tap to change the number of columns and resize text with a pinch, and there's video too.

In my opinion, it dominates the experience of reading a newspaper on a Kindle by a country mile. Still waiting on a price though.

1:55 p.m.: Steve Sprang appears next to show off the painting app Brushes. He's showing a gallery of New Yorker covers and other pantings. It looks cool. You can drag your finger across the screen to paint, and tap a play button to see a replay of your actions.

Next up is another rumored iPad partner, Electronic Arts, the top worldwide publisher of mobile games. Travis Boatman of EA shows off the Need For Speed racing game. Users can tap on a mirror to see what's behind you. Boatman is really cranking up the speeds on the game to show off the impressive technical capabilities.

Chad Evans of MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball, arrives on stage next to demonstrate their popular sports app. On the field, there's a game day pitch tracker to show the trajectory of every pitch thrown. Users can summon a baseball card for the player who is up at bat, and there's video from real games. Users can also view the box score, field, summary, field dimensions and lineup. You can watch games live with your choice of home or away announcers.

1:59 p.m.: Jobs is now demonstrating the iPad's e-reader, perusing a book on the iPad using a new app called iBooks. You can go into portrait view to see both pages if you like. The app will also include access to a store, where users can download e-books right on the iPad. Books are sorted by Apple's top charts list, The New York Times best seller list. Five of the world's publishers in the world, including Penguin and HarperCollins, will sell their books through the app. Navigating iBooks works similarly to iTunes and the App Store.

2:05 p.m.: Users can flip pages forward or back by tapping the screen, or drag pages with your finger. The app can display photos in color or black-and-white, as well as display video. Like Amazon's Kindle, you can change the font size. Users can also change the font itself.

2:16 p.m.: Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of marketing, comes up on stage to talk iWork, the suite of business apps for the Mac (spreadsheet and presentations, word processing). The iPad version will include a completely new version of Keynote (presenter), a new version of the Pages word processor, and a new version of the Numbers spreadsheet program.

Schiller demonstrates Keynote, which runs in landscape orientation. You can move slides around by holding and dragging it to wherever you want. Using multi-touch gestures, you can move a bunch of slides around. It has spendid looking animation transitions.

Moving onto Pages, users can turn it horizontal for a larger virtual keyboard. The sofware will have automatic text wrap around graphics. Schiller drags a picture of a giraffe to demonstrate how text wraps around the image. Neat stuff. With one tap, users can change from a one-column format to two columns.

The Numbers spreadsheet will add a host of templates, such as text, photos and tables. It can also bring up diff keyboards, such as text or a time-and-date keyboard. Over 250 functions and formulas are built into Numbers.

Schiller says each app will be available on the App Store for $9.99.

2:20 p.m.: Jobs returns with more details on the iPad. It can sync over USB with iTunes running on your Mac or PC, exactly like the iPhone or iPod Touch. So when you sync, you sync everything, and backups are synced back if you ever lose it.

Every iPad has WiFi built in, but there will also be models with 3G cellular wireless data. The iPad will feature two plans: up to 250MB of data per month for $14.99, or $29.99 per month for unlimited data through AT&T. The carrier is also throwing in free use of WiFi hotspots throughout the U.S., and will not require a wireless contract.

2:24 p.m.: Jobs says prices for the iPad will start at $499 for the 16GB, $599 for the 32GB and $699 for the 64GB. Prices for iPad with 3G technology will go for $629, $729 and $829 respectively. "When we set out, we not only had ambitious technical goals, but we had a very aggressive price (in mind)," Jobs says. "We wanted to put this in the hands of lots of people." Accessories will also be available for the device, including cases and a keyboard dock.

2:35 p.m.: Jobs concludes the event by saying the iPad "is our most advanced technology in a magical and revolutionary device at an unbelievable price. The reason that Apple is able to create products like iPad is because we always try to be at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, to be able to get the best of both."
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-27 10:48 PM
I think the $499 entry price point may make this thing huge.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-27 10:49 PM
I worry about the proprietary processor though. dont new processors historically have major problems?
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 12:51 AM
it'll depend on how much commonality there is between its architecture and previous chips. there is seldom a truly "new" processor; usually the problems come when components retained from other processors are pushed to their limit or subjected to functions for which they weren't originally designed.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 1:32 AM
Hey Sammitch

Shut the fuck up

Cunt!
Posted By: rex Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 2:40 AM
Five hundred? that's a lot lower than I expected. The first iphone was six hundred. I'm fully for this. I want this to take over the ebook and ecomic business. I want all of that mainstream.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 3:44 AM
I don't want it to be from Apple because apple fanboys are annoying.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:06 AM

it looks like a comedic novelty iphone.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:07 AM
so youre getting one?
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:07 AM
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: Rob Kamphausen

Jim Jackson?
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: BASAMS The Plumber
so youre getting one?

i honestly don't see the need for them. not just the apple version, but any. it can do more than a smartphone, but its too big for your pocket. it can't do as much as a laptop, but its roughly the same size...

the price point and feature set is great for this genre of products, but i don't see how i could justify getting one.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:15 AM
because it looks neato?
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:17 AM
hm. touche.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:21 AM

weee!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:22 AM
I'm seriously thinking of buying one for the kids. They mainly web surf and listen to music with the laptop. it will save me wear and tear on the laptop and give em something neato to show their friends.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:22 AM

weee!

$499? sign me up!
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:36 AM
I'm seriously thinking of buying one for the kids. They mainly web surf and listen to music with the laptop. it will save me wear and tear on the laptop and give em something neato to show their friends.

i guess that's a good usage, positioning the itab as like a mini home computer, at half (or third) the price of a laptop. it'll be slick and intuitive enough.

prior to this, would you have considered getting them an inappropriately named itouch?
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:36 AM

Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:38 AM

$599!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:43 AM

i guess that's a good usage, positioning the itab as like a mini home computer, at half (or third) the price of a laptop. it'll be slick and intuitive enough.

prior to this, would you have considered getting them an inappropriately named itouch?

the itouch is too small for me to spend that much $ on one. kids from time to time lose/drop/drown small electronic items. i've bought numerous mp3 players over the years. but for some reason larger items like the laptop, xbox, the house, they seem to take good care of.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:44 AM
Google 12 seconds ago Reading a post
Forum: Games and Tech
Thread: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet

you stay out of this!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:56 AM
btw my only hesitation is the interface and fonts. i was running a laptop with Ubuntu and i just could never get over the layout being un windows and the fonts not being windows.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:03 AM
im not only a life long windows guy, but also very anti mac (other than my snafily beloved apple II e). however, the iphone interface took less than 5 minutes to fall in love with (and/or stand to applaud at). it's incredibly simple and intuitive in all regards. i imagine the experience with the itab wouldn't be much different; contrary to what you know, but easily accessible.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:05 AM
thats my hope from people that i know with igadgetry they say they like it. also since it will be mostly for the kids they are growing up in this generation of gadgets so they likely are in tune with it already.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:06 AM
your kids already own the itab, and the itab 2.0!
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:18 AM

Those industrious foreigners, adding another 13 months to the year.
Now listen to me goddammit because I'll only say it once: day/month/year makes more sense.
but for some reason larger items like the laptop, xbox, the house, they seem to take good care of.

I once dropped the house into the toilet as a kid and my parents suspended me from lunchtime for a week.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 9:16 AM
FUCK YOU, DAD.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 5:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: Im Not Mister Mxyzptlk
Now listen to me goddammit because I'll only say it once: day/month/year makes more sense.

How?
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 6:01 PM

Are Laptops really that expensive over there?
They used to be here, but they dropped in price big time a few years ago, to the point that most mobile phone companies will now give them away free if you sign up for their mobile internet.
Posted By: Glacier16 Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:27 PM
Still no flash support...
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 7:29 PM
Thats shit.
My Archos MP3 player, which is also an internet tablet, has flash support, so I can play flash videos and flash games on it.
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

How?

Day < Month < Year

Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
FUCK YOU, DAD.

I'm suspending you from fucking men for a month.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 8:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: thedoctor

How?

Day < Month < Year

Posted By: the G-man Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 10:05 PM
I actually like Year Month Day. For filing purposes it makes it easier to figure out when somethng happened in traffic court
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 10:06 PM
Only cause the year you was born would be the lowest number.
Posted By: rex Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-28 10:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Glacier16

Is that a definite thing? I heard they want this to be able to play facebook games so it would have to have flash support. There's a new version out made for devices like this. I don't know why it wouldn't be included.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 1:59 AM
 Originally Posted By: rex
 Originally Posted By: Glacier16

Is that a definite thing? I heard they want this to be able to play facebook games so it would have to have flash support. There's a new version out made for devices like this. I don't know why it wouldn't be included.

its not allowed because apple can't profit from it.

adding flash to the iphone / itab is a relatively simple process; likely something that took a longer time to remove than it would be to add. a special deal was made with youtube to feature their videos on the phone, and that will likely be the same case with facebook.

if flash were allowed, iphone / itab users would have access to thousands upon thousands of free games, applications, and gadgets across the internet that they wouldn't be able to charge 99 cents a piece (and keep 40 cents a piece) for.

with a few brazillion apps already purchased, i'd say its a pretty solid theory on their part.
Posted By: rex Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 2:58 AM
That's what I've read at other places as well. It would also put more pressure on their network that's already struggling.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 4:32 AM

adding flash to the iphone / itab is a relatively simple process; likely something that took a longer time to remove than it would be to add. a special deal was made with youtube to feature their videos on the phone, and that will likely be the same case with facebook.

if flash were allowed, iphone / itab users would have access to thousands upon thousands of free games, applications, and gadgets across the internet that they wouldn't be able to charge 99 cents a piece (and keep 40 cents a piece) for.

well if i cant play fyrebug then i wont buy it!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 4:34 AM
Fyrebug - Make Your Own Game!
Create your own games in just a few clicks with Fyrebug's Creation Station. It's free, easy and fun! Give it a try and make your own game now!
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 5:00 AM
sincerely
squares 2
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 5:23 AM
Fyrebug - Make Your Own Game!
Create your own games in just a few clicks with Fyrebug's Creation Station. It's free, easy and fun! Give it a try and make your own game now!

free, easy, and fun? fyrebug.com is definitely the greatest thing of all time! there's not a single snarf there; its all the online gaming you'll ever need at fyrebug.com
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 5:26 AM
That's what I've read at other places as well. It would also put more pressure on their network that's already struggling.

if google's android truly embraces flash (not just flash lite) like they claim they will, it'll be interesting to see which is a wiser overall plan: working a free market to attract a larger audience, or taking control over what you allow but maximizing your profits per user
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 6:02 AM
the plan that involves looking at tits is wiser.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 6:44 AM

if google's android truly embraces flash (not just flash lite) like they claim they will, it'll be interesting to see which is a wiser overall plan: working a free market to attract a larger audience, or taking control over what you allow but maximizing your profits per user

i think googles profit model is still based on search ads, so they could give a rats ass on app profits as long as the aps draw you to their phone which has their search enabled.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 9:00 AM
WHY DON'T YOU JUST MARRY GOOGLE!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-29 1:53 PM
i will....someday....i will....
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 12:13 AM

how does HTML5 effect all of this? from my understanding and i may be incorrect HTML5 will make flash, silverlight, javascript unneeded right? how does HTML 5 effect fyrebug and other flash sites? is it a deal where you can still use flash but it isnt necessary or does it replace the technology eventually and no one will use it anymore?
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 12:46 AM
from what i understand, html5 wont replace flash, just make it easier for the browser to access. right now, when you are watching a flash animation or something on a web page, you're secretly running two programs: the web browser and a flash plugin. the browsers get by that by asking you to install a plugin the first time you need it.

html5 hopes to bridge that gap, placing the more standard plugins directly in the web tech, itself. great idea, but lots of issues - like, what happens when something newer or cooler than flash is introduced a few months later that doesn't fit into html5's offerings? who is told to fuck off? who??

it's also something still very theoretical. even if it launched today, it'd take years to become a standard. websites now still have to be designed with IE6 users in mind, and we're only just beginning to shy away from 800x600 monitors.
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 1:02 AM
an italicized "just" rob? have we really come to that?
Posted By: rex Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 1:16 AM
World of Warcraft will be playable on this by the end of the year.
Posted By: Rob Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 1:26 AM
an italicized "just" rob? have we really come to that?

in html5, browsers will italicize you!
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 2:45 AM
Posted By: Irwin Schwab Re: Apple unveils $499 iPad tablet - 2010-01-30 2:46 AM
i just wanted to use that smiley once.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-10444796-27.html

Quote:
Wireless sync. The iPad is not a Mac. That means it doesn't run the full iTunes client, so you can't share music from another computer over your home network. Instead, like an iPod or iPhone, you must physically connect it to the computer on which your music is stored, then wait for the music to travel over the wire. This is, frankly, absurd. If you want me to use the iPad to listen to music in my home, don't make me walk over to my computer and attach it every time I want to load some new tunes. Wireless sync would also be great for syncing other material like pictures, videos, and apps. How hard can it be? Microsoft's Zune player has had wireless sync for three iterations and more than two years.

Cloud-based music service. Even if the iPad had wireless sync, the most affordable model has only 16GB of storage. This isn't enough for most music lovers' digital collections, especially if they're going to use the iPad for other functions like electronic books and photos. So how about taking that Lala acquisition and using it? Instead of having to load music onto the iPad itself, I could sync it from my computer to Lala's online music locker service, then stream it over the Web directly to my device. Bye-bye, storage limits. Best of all, every time I update my music collection, it's updated everywhere simultaneously. This is such a no-brainer I'd be stunned if Apple doesn't make it available shortly after the iPad launches.

Music-sharing with third-party apps. There are some surprisingly sophisticated DJ apps for iPhone, like TouchDJ and DJ Mixer, that let you play two songs at the same time and mix them together like a mulitrack DJ set-up. These apps would be much easier to use on the iPad's 9.7-inch screen. But they all share one big shortcoming: they can't just play songs that you've already loaded onto your device. Instead, you have to re-load songs into the DJ apps, either from a sync application running on your computer or over a Web server. This isn't the fault of the app designers--it's a limitation that Apple places on the iPhone and iPod Touch. I hope Apple figures out a way around it soon.

Queuing. I like to play DJ. As one song plays, it sparks associations with other songs. It would be nice to be able to load these other songs into a "now playing" queue. The Zune's had this feature since its inception, but I can't do it on the iPod Touch or the iPhone--instead, I have to wait for the current song to end, then start up a new song. (And no, I don't want to do this with playlists on the computer and then sync those playlists to the device. That misses the entire point of spontaneity.)

Decent speakers (and amp). Naturally, the first thing I did with the iPad was check out its music playback. I could barely hear it, even with the volume maxed out. It's true that the room was crowded with gadget fans scrambling for their first look at the device, but even so, the speakers sounded no louder than the iPhone's. But this isn't a phone. It's also not a Mac, where music isn't the primary focus for most users. It's a consumer electronics device. It would be great if I could set it up in my living room or bedroom without having to attach it to another device. Peripheral makers might complain--iHome does great work creating audio accessories for the iPhone--but if this is truly going to be a new product category, Apple should treat it like one. Alas, I'm going to have to wait for v.2 for this feature.
Posted By: rex Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-05 9:16 PM
iPad launches on April 3rd, pre-orders begin March 12th

Quote:
Word from Apple is out -- so get your credit cards ready. The iPad will be launching on Saturday April 3rd (and on the shelves, er... display tables at Apple retail stores), but you'll be able to plunk down cold, hard cash for it in just a week. Pre-orders will begin on March 12th for the US version (non-3G) for that April street date, with the 3G version coming in late April along with iPads for eager buyers in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK. Says our man Steve Jobs: "We're excited for customers to get their hands on this magical and revolutionary product and connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before." Remember, it's magic. US pricing will be as follows (just in case you need to figure out how many piggy banks to smash):

* 16GB WiFi only -- $499
* 32GB WiFi only -- $599
* 64GB WiFi only -- $699
* 16GB WiFi + 3G -- $629
* 32GB WiFi + 3G -- $729
* 64GB WiFi + 3G -- $829
Posted By: rex Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-30 11:55 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/seton-hill-university-hands-out-ipads-to-students/

That's one college that is giving it to all new students next fall.

Anyone getting one of these on launch day? I would if I had the money.
Posted By: Rob Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-31 12:56 AM
seton hill university?!

i ordered one for my mom as an early mother's day gift. said to arrive this saturday, i believe.
Posted By: rex Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-31 1:55 AM
I've got a present for your mom as well.
Posted By: rex Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-31 1:55 AM
Its in my pants.
it's a very small gift
Posted By: Rob Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-03-31 2:27 AM
you got a little boy for my mom?
Posted By: rex Re: How to make the iPad a better music device - 2010-04-02 8:29 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5507569/gizmodos-essential-ipad-apps

Netflix streaming, ABC player, Marvel comics and Civilization Revolutions. All great reasons to get one.
<html><object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&color1=0x333366&color2=0x666699&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&color1=0x333366&color2=0x666699&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object></html>
 Originally Posted By: Balloon Knot
<html><object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&color1=0x333366&color2=0x666699&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lAl28d6tbko&color1=0x333366&color2=0x666699&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object></html>

Cunt!
Posted By: thedoctor HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 8:51 PM

Article
Posted By: Rob Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 9:29 PM
not including a simple camera for skype seems like a pretty big miss for the ipad
Posted By: thedoctor Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 9:36 PM
As well as not having USB ports.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 9:38 PM
You have to remember all the basic things they missed on the iPhone when it came out, and for some reason, it didnt do them any harm.
Posted By: thedoctor Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 10:04 PM
Apple's marketing department has smarter people than their R&D department.
Posted By: Rob Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-07 10:22 PM
the iphones also all had cameras. the first ones had snap shots, and later model (about a year old now) had video. im wondering if installing a camera in the larger device impacted cost all that much.
Posted By: the G-man Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-16 5:10 PM
Israel won't allow iPads in the country: has cited concerns that the gadget's wireless signals could disrupt other devices.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-17 2:00 AM
it could prematurely detonate all of the nearby terrorist bombs
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-17 2:16 AM
Especially if the terrorist cats get involved.

Posted By: thedoctor Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-17 3:30 AM
 Originally Posted By: Beardguy
Especially if the terrorist cats get involved.

Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: HP's iPad Killer? - 2010-04-17 2:08 PM
Dont be stupid rex.
Everyone knows Beardgay would never consider cats to be terrorist.
Posted By: the G-man iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-06-10 12:42 AM
Apple's Worst Security Breach: 114,000 iPad Owners Exposed. Apple has suffered another embarrassment. A security breach has exposed iPad owners including dozens of CEOs, military officials, and top politicians. They—and every other buyer of the wireless-enabled tablet—could be vulnerable to spam marketing and malicious hacking.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-06-10 12:45 AM
Apple is gay!
Posted By: Prometheus Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-06-10 2:15 AM
\:lol\:
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-06 6:42 PM
A computer hacker who exposed an iPad security flaw complained in a lengthy blog post that law enforcement has since been trampling on his civil rights.

Andrew Auernheimer, who was locked in jail last month after FBI agents found illegal drugs in a search of his home, wrote yesterday that he has been denied a public defense attorney as he faces possible criminal charges for exposing a security flaw on AT&T's Web site.

The flaw exposed last month by the 24-year-old Arkansas resident revealed the e-mail addresses of 114,000 iPad users, including high-profile customers like Mayor Mike Bloomberg and New York Times CEO Janet Robinson.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/ip...J#ixzz0suwEh2L3
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-06 7:00 PM
Well I think we can now make a good guess which company Whomod works for.
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-06 8:28 PM
According to whomod he works for the government. Seriously. He hands out welfare checks to gang-bangers.
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-06 9:06 PM
Looks like he now works for AT&T and calls the police on people.
Posted By: Rob Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-07 12:13 AM

as long as he's not using at&t's service
Posted By: Nöwheremän Re: iPad Owners Hacked? - 2010-07-07 1:12 AM
KAMPHAUSEN!!!
NO!!!
Posted By: the G-man iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 8:41 AM
I bought one today. I haven't done much with it yet other than update the software and put on the screen protector. I've got it charging now.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 9:08 AM
fag
Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 11:22 AM
I got the ipod touch 8gb in february when they lowered the price to only $200. I'm happy with it, I'm happy with the size of the screen for movies and ebooks. Since it is a portable device. I've seen people with the ipad on the train and it looks annoying. Too big to really be comfortably "portable" and too small/slim to be a proper computer.
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 3:57 PM
Basically, I bought the iPad because it allows me to store my entire law library electronically, including case files if I want, and take it to traffic court. I tried that on a laptop and it's too obtrusive to have to open it up (and Windows takes a hella long time to boot up so even a tablet PC doesn't work well). And reading statutes and case law on iPod touch sized device doesn't work all that well at my age. I wouldn't want to try and word process on it for a long project for but typing out emails it's fine.
Posted By: Rob Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 5:14 PM
i find it unfortunate that, as computer-killer-ish as the ipad is, it still requires a computer to do so much -- including to initially set up. not being able to update itself, print, or grab photos from a memory card (amongst other issues, like flash) is really limiting. i gave one to my mom (in a different way than when i give it to rex's mom) hoping shed no longer need to worry about standard computer issues. while that's mostly true, it's just annoying that it's not 100% (especially cuz something like an SD slot, printer port, or other "quick" addons would seemingly make it so)
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 5:42 PM
Yeah, those are some of the same reasons I don't buy one from for my mother.
Posted By: Rob Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 8:00 PM
i'm sure she'd make you a deal!
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-22 8:49 PM
Heh. Typo notwithstanding my mother was a pretty tough business woman. When I was a five or six years old we grew pumpkins in the backyard one year. I wanted to give them away to my friends for Halloween and she told me that produce is for selling and that just because someone was my friend didn't mean they got a discount.
Posted By: Rob Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 1:07 AM
"those children died that november."

i remember being on the "trading" system forever growing up. someone would grow basil, someone would plant tomatoes, someone would have corn, etc. odd currency exchange, but yeah, nothin free
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 1:25 AM
"those children died that november."

No, but interestingly enough, one of them let me use their employee discount to buy the iPad.
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 3:39 AM
i find it unfortunate that, as computer-killer-ish as the ipad is, it still requires a computer to do so much -- including to initially set up.

that's because it's not a 'computer-killer' to anyone except people who have no business owning a real computer in the first place.
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 4:07 AM
The thing is that there are some people (senior citizens being a good example) who don't need a "computer" for anything but reading email, viewing media and surfing the net. Those people could do that stuff on a blackberry or other smartphone but for a lot of them, especially senior citizens, those devices are too small to use comfortably. For those types of people, yeah, something like an iPad (especially one with a printer port) could be considered a "computer killer" if it didn't need a computer for things which, ironically enough, the average smart phone can do over the air without a computer.
Posted By: Rob Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 5:22 AM
even beyond that logic, if an ipad even just a few other small changes (flash capability, projector hookups, DVD slot, or even the ability to connect wirelessly to specific printers, which i can't believe it does not -- any one of these) it'd essentially become the "meeting device." it's perfect for sales people and advertisers presenting on the go, cheaper, lighter and smaller, and doesn't have a brazillion other programs and features running on it to slow it down, catch malware, drive up price, etc.

it's become more and more common to see them used for business purposes like that in nyc, thus i think it very much so has the potential for being a "computer killer"
Posted By: Captain Sammitch Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 8:03 AM
even beyond that logic, if an ipad even just a few other small changes (flash capability, projector hookups, DVD slot, or even the ability to connect wirelessly to specific printers...

Originally Posted By: the G-man
The thing is that there are some people (senior citizens being a good example) who don't need a "computer" for anything but reading email, viewing media and surfing the net...

Posted By: Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 9:33 AM
even beyond that logic, if an ipad even just a few other small changes (flash capability, projector hookups, DVD slot, or even the ability to connect wirelessly to specific printers, which i can't believe it does not -- any one of these) it'd essentially become the "meeting device." it's perfect for sales people and advertisers presenting on the go, cheaper, lighter and smaller, and doesn't have a brazillion other programs and features running on it to slow it down, catch malware, drive up price, etc.

it's become more and more common to see them used for business purposes like that in nyc, thus i think it very much so has the potential for being a "computer killer"

It won't truly replace the computer until it has porn apps.
Posted By: the G-man Re: iPad Plunge - 2010-08-23 8:48 PM
You can watch RedTube on them.

Or, uh, so I've heard
© RKMBs