RKMBs
Posted By: PJP Astonishing X-men question....issue16 (spoilers) - 2006-09-19 6:07 AM
who's the new white queen? Emma's sister?
There's a new white queen?
Is it an upside down rook?

Oh wait, this is the comics forum.
Yeah, there's a White Queen who isn't Emma Frost who looks exactly like Emma Frost did during her White Queen days.
Probably some way to get Emma back as a good girl after having betrayed the team.
I wish Joss Whedon had written Origins.
I wish Joss Whedon had never written anything.
I wish I had a million dollars!
I wish King Snarf had a million dollars.
Quote:

Prometheus said:

You're welcome to ignore Joss's ASXM, ya know.

Some of us like it.
And you're welcome to accept it. Still doesn't make me dislike it, or him, any less...
I understand that, but to wish he'd never written anything when none of what he's written has been forced on you...
Emma Frost had her own series the past 2 years and it showed that her sister who is more evil than her has powers also(maybe even more powerful than Emma's). So I bet this new White Queen is Emma's sis.
I like the current run on Astonishing X-men....bringing back the hell fire club was a good idea. Shaw fucked up Collosus.
I like it, too. Didn't really love the Danger Room storyline, but hey, nothing's perfect. I love EX MACHINA, but don't love its current storyline about legalizing pot. The series still rocks, though.
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
I understand that, but to wish he'd never written anything when none of what he's written has been forced on you...

I agree. I think comic mods should not force their opinions down our throats. I wish someone in the secret forum had thought of asking harley to be a mod of the comic forum. Or even glacys.......I'm just saying.
Pro, you forgot to mention you don't like Whedon.
It doesn't sound as though it's only that he doesn't like Joss. It sounds like he wish he'd never written anything, which, I think, is awfully severe.
I agree.
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:

I agree. I think comic mods should not force their opinions down our throats. I wish someone in the secret forum had thought of asking harley to be a mod of the comic forum. Or even glacys.......I'm just saying.

I would like to force upon everyone here that Joss Whedon is a talentless hack of a writer. Being a MOD, that means my word is law.

Also, I'm an elitist/futurist. That means I'm better than the future I perceive.

Finally, someone PM Mxy and tell him I dislike Joss Whedon...
Sincerely,
Devin Grayson
Quote:

Prometheus said:

*sigh*

Quote:

PJP said:
Emma Frost had her own series the past 2 years and it showed that her sister who is more evil than her has powers also(maybe even more powerful than Emma's). So I bet this new White Queen is Emma's sis.

Wait. Emma has a sister? WTF. Well, there's your answer as to who the new WQ is. I love the White Queen costume, but hate the hair. And I like Emma as a traitor - it gives Kitty even more of a reason to kick her ass and a valid reason for Scott and her to split. He's such a pussy - "I love Jean." "Oh, poor Jean" blah, blah , blah...how is Emma with him? He's such a vanilla boy scout. Ugh.

Colossus got his ass handed to him though. Cool scene. And Kitty is showing that she is a force to be reckoned with.
Actually, I like Scott and Emma. Ever since they started knocking boots was the first time I thought Scott had depth to his character.
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Actually, I like Scott and Emma. Ever since they started knocking boots was the first time I thought Scott had depth to his character.

He has character just because he's sleeping with Emma?

Lame.

And he still pines and whines for Jean after all this time?

Lamer.
Yes, because he was so much more interesting as the confident capable team leader/ boy scout/ Professor X's fluffer who never had any major emotional problems.
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Yes, because he was so much more interesting as the confident capable team leader/ boy scout/ Professor X's fluffer who never had any major emotional problems.

Never had any emotional problems? Are you being sarcastic? Or, have you just never read an X-comic before the 21st century?
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Never had any emotional problems? Are you being sarcastic? Or, have you just never read an X-comic before the 21st century?

Psssssssssst...I think that was sarcasm.
Every pre-21st century comic I've ever read with Cyclops in it, he's come across as drier than burnt toast.
Quote:

King Snarf said:

He was boring then...

Quote:

King Snarf said:
Every pre-21st century comic I've ever read with Cyclops in it, he's come across as drier than burnt toast.

...and he's just as boring now.
Yes, but he's having sex with Emma Frost, who looks really hot in a corset. And that, my dear harley, makes all the difference.
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Yes, but he's having sex with Emma Frost, who looks really hot in a corset. And that, my dear harley, makes all the difference.

How? Cause he's getting laid? By that train of though, he was sleeping with a hot red head and that didn't make a dif. He was dull as dust then.

Snore.

He's still a big. fat. boring.
Oh, harley, take me, you seductive woman!
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Oh, harley, take me, you seductive woman!

No wonder yer a virgin with chat up lines like this.
You like dull Scott Summers cause he is like dull King Snarf only he gets laid & has hair!
AND my father isn't a space pirate!
Quote:

Glacier16 said:

Professor X!
Quote:

King Snarf said:

Then, you never read X-Men during the 20th century.

Or, more specifically, you never read any X-Men late-80's/early-90's, during the original X-Factor days. Go and pick those up sometimes. Scott is nothing but an emotional ball of crazy during those days, when Jean first came back from the dead.

Drier than toast? Perhaps, since that is the design of his character, ala' Stan Lee on up. But, no emotional problems? You've no fucking idea what you're talking about there...
Not to say that there hasn't been anything interesting done with the character prior to Morrison and Whedon, just that said things have been confusing as hell. Have they ever made ANY progress on the fabled third Summers brother? It originally was supposed to be Adam X a.k.a. X-treme. (Ah, you have to love that early 90's character design...)
his name is Gabriel......code name Vulcan. he is the third Summers brother and he was given a pretty big story arc the past year.
oh and he's a bad guy.
In which book. I.e., who's writing it? (Please God, don't let him say Claremont...)
It was a mini series...I can't remeber the name right now...I only slept 2 hours last night. Claremont didn't write it.
I make no excuses for the utter shite that have been the X-books for over a decade now (save Morrison's run). However, Scott has always been a barrel of psycho when it comes to his women.

Do I like the character? Sure. Could more be done with him? No doubt...
Ed Bukkake wrote "Identity Cri..." I mean, "Deadly Genesis", the mini where Vulcan is introduced. He continued the crappiness in Uncanny X-Men and it's still going.
You think the rug matches the drapes?

Or does she have slick floors?
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
You think the rug matches the drapes?

Or does she have slick floors?

She's really a read head...thus the competition with Jean all the time.
Quote:

Prometheus said:
I make no excuses for the utter shite that have been the X-books for over a decade now (save Morrison's run).

I know you hate Whedon, but have you actually read any of the AXM thusfar? Seriously, I'm just wondering if you've checked it out at all, or bc. you don't like Whedon you haven't looked at it. I can't speak for the rest of the X-titles, as I haven't read them in the last few years (save for the Ultimate X-Men), so I don't know if I would agree with your assesment of them or not, but AXM has been a good read.
Seconded.

I'll also add that X-FACTOR has been good. Peter David's been telling a cool story there and he's made Madrox a very interesting character, now a gumshoe.

I can't comment on the other X-titles, but these two are good.

Hey, if ya don't like 'em, ya don't like 'em. But I think they should be at least sampled before consigned to the trash heap.
See, I understand if one doesn't like a writer/artist and initailly doesn't want to bother looking at a title - I'll prolly never again pick up anything that has Loeb's name on it - however, that said, if the buzz on a title was really good, then I might give it a look despite the writer, just to see if it lived up to the hype. That's all I'm saying.
Actually, I DID try out AXM for the first two or three issues. However, I couldn't get past the forced, witty-to-be-witty's-sake glib dialogue. The supposed "reasoning/logic" behind their return to spandex was fucking ludicrous. His so wanting to make Kitty Pryde "Buffy" was nauseating. And, then he goes and fucks over one of their most tragic sacrifices by bringing Colossus back. No reason. He's just alive. At least, that's all I could get out of it.

Cassiday's art is gorgeous as usual. But, I hate this book, and his writing, due to an informed opinion. Same with Firefly, and generally anything else he touches. He taints them all with mediocrity...
BTW, I have nothing against anything Peter David does. In fact, I plan on getting his X-Factor trades when they come out. If they're as good as the first time he wrote that series, then I simply cannot wait...
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Actually, I DID try out AXM for the first two or three issues. However, I couldn't get past the forced, witty-to-be-witty's-sake glib dialogue. The supposed "reasoning/logic" behind their return to spandex was fucking ludicrous. His so wanting to make Kitty Pryde "Buffy" was nauseating. And, then he goes and fucks over one of their most tragic sacrifices by bringing Colossus back. No reason. He's just alive. At least, that's all I could get out of it.

Cassiday's art is gorgeous as usual. But, I hate this book, and his writing, due to an informed opinion. Same with Firefly, and generally anything else he touches. He taints them all with mediocrity...

Ok, fair enough. I was just curious.
Again, I have nothing against you liking it. But, I won't have anything to do with the X-verse until he's gone...
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Again, I have nothing against you liking it. But, I won't have anything to do with the X-verse until he's gone...

That pretty much prevents you from reading ninety percent of Marvels output doesn't it?

What about Whedon's writing on one particular book is so offensive to you (poor deluded fellow that you are) that you can't read any of the other books in which the X-men appear?
But you just said that you would check out X-Factor if David was writing it...

And I wouldn't expect you to have anything against me for having good taste and liking Whedon.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

That pretty much prevents you from reading ninety percent of Marvels output doesn't it?

What about Whedon's writing on one particular book is so offensive to you (poor deluded fellow that you are) that you can't read any of the other books in which the X-men appear?

Am I to infer that G-Man likes Whedon? My whole world is coming unhinged!!!
As far as TV goes I can take Whedon or leave him. I liked "Buffy" when I bothered to watch it and thought "Angel" was "okay." I never saw "Firefly" or "Serenity" and couldn't name another show of his if I tried.

As far as "X-men" goes, I think Whedon is easily the best writer on the book since Claremont was at his peak in the late 70s and early 80s.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Whedon is easily the best writer on the book since Claremont was at his peak in the late 70s and early 80s.

Claremont 1975-80 was great.
Morrison 2001-2004 was great.
Whedon's work is great.

All other "Uncanny X-Men" stuff pales next to these eras.
Quote:

the G-man said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Are you really trying to pick a board-wide fight with me? Really?

As far as Marvel, the only things I read from them are Civil War and She-Hulk. Other than that, it's all pretty much mediocre.

And, Harley, I said I would try David's book when it (a) comes out in trade, and (b) Whedon is done with his rehash and stale repetition...
No Annihilation, Promys?

Quote:

the G-man said:

Quote:

Prometheus said:
Are you really trying to pick a board-wide fight with me? Really?

Geez...do I have to put a "winky" ( )after every little joke I make these days with you?
Quote:

Prometheus said:

And, Harley, I said I would try David's book when it (a) comes out in trade, and (b) Whedon is done with his rehash and stale repetition...

*sigh*

You are just not up for flirting today, are you?
Quote:

harleykwin said:
And I wouldn't expect you to have anything against me for having good taste and liking Whedon.

Not liking Whedon is the only good taste Pro has.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

YEAH!!

Wait......
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

*sigh*

You are just not up for flirting today, are you?

Whedon kills the mood for me...

Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

Et tu, el doctor? Et tu?

And here I thought you had some good taste, as you like Elvis...
I do have good taste, which is why I like Elvis and hate Whedon.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I do have good taste, which is why I like Elvis and hate Whedon.

Your good taste has a 50/50 split there, babe. But at least you're one step ahead of Pro...
My good taste has 20/20 vision. Yours apparently has had far too many bottles of wine.
No, but it has "20/20" hearing... Your vision is an entirely other matter...

and it's whiskey, hon, not wine...
I enjoy the song stylings of The King of Rock and Roll as well as the writing of Joss Whedon.
Finally!
It's Snarf. Doesn't that tell you anything?
Harleykwin you have great tastes! I LOVE X-Men!! Josh Whedon is the best writer in many years! Who do yuo like as writer Prometheus? Don't you like Colossus?
Quote:

harleykwin said:

Apparently, you and your taste are both sloppy drunk. No wonder your judgement is so imparied.
Quote:

Geronimo Jackson said:
Harleykwin you have great tastes! I LOVE X-Men!! Josh Whedon is the best writer in many years! Who do yuo like as writer Prometheus? Don't you like Colossus?

I'm not Pro (thank God); but I think Colossus was a great character; but, more importantly, his death actually meant something, which is a real rarity in comics. Bringing him back makes his sacrifice seem less heroic. It cheapens it. He gave his life for all of mutant-kind. Bringing him back just says that he didn't really put much on the line because, hey, he'll be back not matter what!

And I like comic writers like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Peter David, Matt Wagner, and Garth Ennis. Also, I alcohol in mass quantities. Mass, mass quantities.
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Yes, that he has better taste than you do.

Quote:

Geronimo Jackson said:
Harleykwin you have great tastes!

Even the newbie can see the obvious!

Quote:

Josh Whedon is the best writer in many years!

See my above comment.

Quote:

Who do yuo like as writer Prometheus? Don't you like Colossus?

Pro doesn't like Whedon, Strazynski or Elvis. He prolly doesn't like boobies either...
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I'm not Pro (thank God);

Could be worse, fucko!

Quote:

but I think Colossus was a great character; but, more importantly, his death actually meant something, which is a real rarity in comics. Bringing him back makes his sacrifice seem less heroic. It cheapens it. He gave his life for all of mutant-kind. Bringing him back just says that he didn't really put much on the line because, hey, he'll be back not matter what!

Yep. That.

Quote:

And I like comic writers like Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Peter David, Matt Wagner, and Garth Ennis.

Those....Mark Millar, Alan Moore, Carlos Pacheco, and Brad Meltzer, to name a few...

Quote:

Also, I alcohol in mass quantities. Mass, mass quantities.

Yeah, plus "some" for me...
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Snarf.

You take your time with that one...

Quote:

harleykwin said:
Pro doesn't like Whedon, Strazynski or Elvis. He prolly doesn't like boobies either...

You're sad...
I've met Pro's wife. It'd be fair to say that he likes the boobies.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

Apparently, you and your taste are both sloppy drunk. No wonder your judgement is so imparied.

Sugar, I am never a sloppy drunk... and unlike your regularly inebriated self, whose hearing and appreciation for good music apparently remains intact despite your inability to recognize good storytelling, my taste in both music and comics remains unimpaired.
Quote:

harleykwin said:
my taste in both music and comics remains unimpaired.

So...... you're just saying that your taste in comics is shit then.
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Snarf.

You take your time with that one...

I did.

And apparently in this instance he still has better taste than you.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
my taste in both music and comics remains unimpaired.

So...... you're just saying that your taste in comics is shit then.

No, its perfect - you're just too blind to realize that.
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

You're sad...

That you don't like all of the above?

Yes.
You have terrible taste in comics. I got that. It's understood.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
You have great taste in comics. I got that. It's understood.

Fixed your post for ya.
Quote:

thedoctor said:
I've met Pro's wife. It'd be fair to say that he likes the boobies.

Quote:

thedoctor said:

You should photoshop Whedon's face on Zod....then I would make it my wallpaper...
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Quote:

thedoctor said:

You should photoshop Whedon's face on Zod....then I would make it my wallpaper...

heh.
I changed my mind. I think Joss Whedon is a hack! Prometheus is my GOD!
I you too, Harley...
Quote:

harleykwin said:
I changed my mind. I think Joss Whedon is a hack! Prometheus is my GOD!

LMFAO!!!

That's what I get for giving you my password!

Thanks for the help.... "lover" ...
Everything has a price...
Pro, Harley, I have something to say. We're caught in a trap, we can't walk out, because I love you too much baby.....
Sorry Snarf. I'm married...
We can't go on together, with suspicious minds....
Issue 17 came out today and they really fucked with Kitty's head. Scott shot and potentially killed the new White Queen at the end.
Quote:

PJP said:
Issue 17 came out today and they really fucked with Kitty's head. Scott shot and potentially killed the new White Queen at the end.

Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

the G-man said:
Whedon is easily the best writer on the book since Claremont was at his peak in the late 70s and early 80s.

Whedon's work is great.

I basically agree with you, but I'd extend Claremont's run to include up to the Morlock/Mutant Massacre. Paul Smith's all-too-short run was thoroughly enjoyable, Uncanny's run from about #170 - 175 was a solid storyline featuring Mastermind, and there wre a lot of highlights throughout. I think, after the Massacre, the combination of the yearly event and spreading himself too thin burned Claremont out. Not to say the post-Claremont writers were all that good (I dropped the title when Claremont got dropped), but there you go.
GA=Golden Age
Quote:

thedoctor said:
GA=Golden Age

grrr...lols :p
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

PJP said:

How did they fuck with Kitty's head? Spoil it for me please.

No way the new White Queen is dead. Too quick a death for a character that can further screw with Scott's mind.
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

PJP said:

No way the new White Queen is dead. Too quick a death for a character that can further screw with Scott's mind.

The White Queen created a illusion in Kitty's mind that made her believe that she was a mother with a newborn (Father being Colossus). This nightmare went on to the X-Men taking her son away, claiming that the boy had "great power". Kitty corners Peter in their home one night, threatening to merge an axe handle with his head if he didn't give her the kid's location. He told her that their son was "in a box in the basement". So Kitty, in a trace, goes to the box in the mansion's basement that the Hellfire Club was trying to get into to rescue her son (in reality retrieving the box's contents).

And the new White Queen probably isn't Adrianne Frost (Emma's older sister), as

1. Emma shot and killed her years ago
2. Adrianna wasn't a telepath, but had psychometry (psionic ability to tell of the history and future of a physical object by touching it).

I believe that this White Queen is a psychic manifestation created by Emma (as are Sebastian Shaw and Negasonic Teenage Warhead). They represent different facets of her personality and different stages in her life. Sebastian Shaw made Emma the White Queen, Negasonic was a student who died in her arms in Genosha, and Emma has always secretly missed the days of being the White Queen (probably the reason behind the name "Perfection").
Quote:

Joe Mama said:
Quote:

Jim Jackson said:
Quote:

the G-man said:

Whedon's work is great.

I basically agree with you, but I'd extend Claremont's run to include up to the Morlock/Mutant Massacre. Paul Smith's all-too-short run was thoroughly enjoyable, Uncanny's run from about #170 - 175 was a solid storyline featuring Mastermind, and there wre a lot of highlights throughout. I think, after the Massacre, the combination of the yearly event and spreading himself too thin burned Claremont out. Not to say the post-Claremont writers were all that good (I dropped the title when Claremont got dropped), but there you go.

I'd extend Claremont's run up to, and ending with, the conclusion of the "Brood" saga.

Morrie's run was very good, but editorial interference (Magneto), the revolving door artists and that crappy conclusion drawn by Silvestri detracted from the potential.

I'd put Claremont's initial run first, followed by Whedon, followed by Morrison.
Quote:

Carnyfoke said:

2. Adrianna wasn't a telepath, but had psychometry (psionic ability to tell of the history and future of a physical object by touching it).

I believe that this White Queen is a psychic manifestation created by Emma (as are Sebastian Shaw and Negasonic Teenage Warhead). They represent different facets of her personality and different stages in her life. Sebastian Shaw made Emma the White Queen, Negasonic was a student who died in her arms in Genosha, and Emma has always secretly missed the days of being the White Queen (probably the reason behind the name "Perfection").

She has a younger sister too. In Generation X she was a teenager and trying to get into the hellfire club. She 'dressed' even sluttier than Emma. I was assuming that the fake WQ was her. I don't remember her name tho.
No, what Carnyfoke makes full sense, especially considering that Cassandra Nova HAS to be a psychic manifestation, since her body is in the goo bag Kitty released this issue. Nova is probably the only one with a real mind, though.
Quote:

Carnyfoke said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

PJP said:
Quote:

PJP said:

The White Queen created a illusion in Kitty's mind that made her believe that she was a mother with a newborn (Father being Colossus). This nightmare went on to the X-Men taking her son away, claiming that the boy had "great power". Kitty corners Peter in their home one night, threatening to merge an axe handle with his head if he didn't give her the kid's location. He told her that their son was "in a box in the basement". So Kitty, in a trace, goes to the box in the mansion's basement that the Hellfire Club was trying to get into to rescue her son (in reality retrieving the box's contents).

Thank you.
But, didn't Willow end up killing the White Queen's thought-to-be-dead-but-was-in-fact-really-a-man sister in season three?

Quote:

Prometheus said:
But, didn't Willow end up killing the White Queen's thought-to-be-dead-but-was-in-fact-really-a-man sister in season three?

No, that was River what done the killing.
Ah...so, was Seth Green even involved?
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Quote:

Oh., wait....does this mean it was a joke?

Isn't everything?
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Ah...so, was Seth Green even involved?

Nathan Fillion

Though I think Alyson Hannigan was somehow involved...
Quote:

Prometheus said:
Isn't everything?

Firefly was cool...
Buffy was unwatchable though....I don't care how hot the chicks were...
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Heh.

There should be a "kissy" graemlin for times like this...
Quote:

Pig Iron said:
Buffy was unwatchable though....

Up until the last two seasons, I thought 'Buffy' was fantastic...'Firefly,' however, I found to be "meh" straight through...
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Heh.

Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Quote:

Prometheus said:

Heh.

That's too cute!
Yeah.

Ragtag Heroes coming soon!!1!
Quote:

harleykwin said:
'Firefly,' however, I found to be "meh" straight through...

I usually like Joss Whedon's writing, but I liked Firefly better when it was animated and called Outlaw Star.
Quote:

notwedge said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

I usually like Joss Whedon's writing, but I liked Firefly better when it was animated and called Outlaw Star.

I like Firefly. I also like the show that Firefly spun off from - Cowboy Bebop.
Quote:

Joe Mama said:
Quote:

notwedge said:
Quote:

harleykwin said:

I like Firefly. I also like the show that Firefly spun off from - Cowboy Bebop.

Outlaw Star:

Firefly:

100% Serious: The first time I saw a commercial for Firefly I thought it was a commercial for a live action version of Outlaw Star (you know, until they showed the title)
Thank you!!

You know, I tried convincing some Whedon purists on this, and they absolutely refused to believe it...
© RKMBs