RKMBs
Posted By: the G-man Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-01 4:31 AM
Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter Mandy, in I Am Not Starfire YA OGN

[Linked Image from mlpnk72yciwc.i.optimole.com]

Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter Mandy, in I Am Not Starfire YA OGN
Posted By: Pariah Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-04 7:29 PM
Who the hell is Starfire?
Posted By: Prometheus Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-05 2:15 AM
I AM FATFIRE
Who's the dad?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-06 2:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lothar of The Hill People
Who's the dad?
Lotta speculation that it’s the Penguin
Something quite wrong with this. An overweight teenage girl who is angry because she is defined by her glamorous and under-dressed mother.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-08 10:15 AM
Sometimes it gets confusing when you have multiple characters and series with the same name.
But I'm guessing it's a new version of the Starfire character introduced in NEW TEEN TITANS. The first 1980-1984 version was the one I liked the most.

The first Starfire I'm aware of was the character (completely unrelated), who was introduced in a 1976 STARFIRE series and ran for 8 issues. And less than 4 years later, the Wolfman/Perez character was introduced, and this earlier one was forgotten.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-08 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Prometheus
I AM FATFIRE

lol
Posted By: the G-man Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-08 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
Sometimes it gets confusing when you have multiple characters and series with the same name.
But I'm guessing it's a new version of the Starfire character introduced in NEW TEEN TITANS. The first 1980-1984 version was the one I liked the most.

The first Starfire I'm aware of was the character (completely unrelated), who was introduced in a 1976 STARFIRE series and ran for 8 issues. And less than 4 years later, the Wolfman/Perez character was introduced, and this earlier one was forgotten.
Based on the cover art it’s obviously a re-booted version of the character from “the new teen titans.”
Posted By: Pariah Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-09 12:28 AM
Apparently, the writer of this...book...has been assigned to the Batman monthly.

It seems AT&T didn't do enough spring cleaning.
Pretty cool seeing how much the industry has changed and expanded to reach a broader readership. I grew up reading the superheroes when the gals all pretty much wore stripper outfits with high heels. I don’t think there is anything wrong with those that still want that either.
Originally Posted by Matter-eater Man
Pretty cool seeing how much the industry has changed and expanded to reach a broader readership. I grew up reading the superheroes when the gals all pretty much wore stripper outfits with high heels. I don’t think there is anything wrong with those that still want that either.

MEM, I need to read it before I make any sort of definitive comment. I got the impression it was a counterpretentious exercise in slut-shaming.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-16 2:44 PM
"counterpretentious" ?

What is that? Responding to pretentious storytelling with something equally or more pretentious?
Posted By: the G-man Re: Meet Starfire's Gay Goth Daughter - 2020-12-17 1:28 AM
Originally Posted by First Amongst Daves
I need to read it before I make any sort of definitive comment. I got the impression it was a counterpretentious exercise in slut-shaming.

Beyond enjoying the original Wolfman/Perez run, I have no real emotional attachment or investment in the character. However, I have read in the past that the version of the character who appeared on the "Teen Titans" and "Teen Titans Go" cartoons, was something of a role model for young girls of that era, precisely for having a positive personality and other admirable character traits. From the description of the novel and the cover art, they do seem to be using a version closer to the cartoon than the original comics and there does appear to be at least a bit of the author trying to tell the reader they were wrong to admire that character.

On a related note, one of the things I find more than a bit off-putting about modern comics is that the creators seem hellbent on taking the wish-fulfillment and aspirational aspects out of the genre. It seems we're supposed to want to read about people exactly like us (or worse off than us) instead of people we might want to be. Even good looking and successful characters are miserable. Supergenius characters are never altruistic but autistic. It's as one dimensional (albeit in the opposite direction) as "too perfect" characters of the silver age.
I actually have been out of comics for a while now other than the new Legion title. So far that has actually been pretty positive. The future seems more optimistic. I agree g-man about comics at least a decade ago. The last Legion title ended horribly but it had a negative vibe long before that.
© RKMBs