RKMBs
Posted By: Wonder Boy Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-12 11:30 PM
I've noticed a trend in the media, going back at least to the Clinton years, of the media introducing new political buzz-words, some of which are clever, but most of which are goofy from the start, and are repeated to the point they become deeply annoying, if they weren't annoying from the very start.

The one I'm hearing this week is technocrat, in connection with the military coup overthrowing Morsi in Egypt a few days ago, used to describe the pro-western moderates who will replace him.

Even reading the definition gives very little information about its intended meaning. It apparently means both political and business/technological leaders who know how to run a modern free-market economy. Which --again-- is goofy, because Morsi, however radical and over-reaching, certainly led a government with business and technological ability before the coup as well. The political wave that swept him to power certainly demonstrated exceptional use of modern social media and the internet. In a roundabout way, it seems to just imply that the new Egyptian government is just more pro-western, and will (maybe) demonstrate less aggression and more free trade with its neighbors.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-12 11:40 PM
Another trendy word in the media is gravitas.
Beyond its definition, it seems to imply a leader with the political weight or strength of personality to advance their agenda and not get walked on.

I first heard it used --with endless repitition-- about Romney during the 2012 campaign, constantly asking if he has the "gravitas" to deal with world leaders.

Interesting how little, if at all, that term was ever applied to Barack Obama dealing with world leaders, who entered in 2008 with absolutely no international diplomatic or military experience. And who is arguably, 5 years in, still a political novice, who has been used and discarded by Russia, China, Egypt, Iran and other hostile nations in the very recent past, and throughout his presidency.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-12 11:52 PM
I also want to include older political buzz-words. The earliest ones I can think of are "Clintonian" (implying a Clinton-like legalistic dodging of the truth with evasive wording, i.e., "it all depends what the definition of 'is' is.")

And more annoying for me from the Clinton years, "pushing the envelope". Metaphorically describing taking a risk to advance a political agenda. Explained as a number that's too large to discuss in a group meeting, so someone writes it down on an envelope, and pushing it across the table to the person who will either accept or reject it. And all through the Clinton years, the adoring media was constantly on every Clinton action saying "pushing the envelope, pushing the envelope..."
That, I think, was the first of these buzz-words that really grated on me.
"Technocrat", "gravitas" and "pushing the enevolpe" are all common English language words or idioms. "Pushing the envelope" sounds a little quaint to my ears.

"Gravitas" reminds me of when George Bush I complained that Clinton's saxophone-playing on MTV was "unPresidential". What he meant was it lacked gravitas (and I agree).

"Technocrat" is very commonly used to describe academics who are put into power, lacking political instincts. See "Super Mario", Prime minister of Italy, for an example of a successful technocrat.

I get more annoyed by silly terms like "hot-tubbing" (putting several experts into a room to be questioned on their divergant views), and euphemistic terms which obscure hard truths, like "friendly fire" (killed by your own forces), and "collateral damage" (deaths to innocent civilians), and acronyms like "GFC" (global financial crisis) which dilute the full measure of what it is (no one describes the life-ruining "Great Depression" as the "GD").
I forgot "Clintonian". The sex scandal is obviously a lasting impression. But, as a non-Amercian not exposed to the domestic economic buoyancy of the day, for me the lasting impression is the efforts at Middle Eastern diplomacy. "Clintonian" doesn't mean "legalistic hair-splitting to cover one's arse" to me. It means something a little idealistic and charismatic, yet flawed. Clnton is such a complicated character. I saw "The Comeback Kid" documentary on a plane recently. It was hardly sympathetic (I hadn't known the etymology of "Slick Willy") - it was a balanced look at the man's political instincts. Clinton strikes me as outward-looking, centrist and inclusive in a way that the equally charismatic Obama is not. Obama appeals to dangerous protectionist instincts and is pro-union in a way Clinton did and was not.

So, while a precise definition of "Clintonian" is hard, I do understand what it means.
Posted By: Son of Mxy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-15 7:13 AM
what's the definition of "klintonian"?
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-15 12:45 PM
A charmless day and age of pointless self-touching.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-15 1:59 PM
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy
what's the definition of "klintonian"?

I would have said gay male irritability that resembles symptoms normally observed in female post-menstrual syndrome.
Posted By: First Amongst Daves Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-07-16 12:15 PM
A more accurate definition: I default to yours.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-09-24 8:22 PM

Almost once a night, some pundit refers to the current political exchange betweeen Democrats and Republicans as
"kabuki dance" or "kabuki theatre", and despite the frequency of its use, I still have no idea what it means. I interpret it to mean fake posturing and putting on a show of conviction for voters.

Another annoying unclear term is "the third rail", or "touching the third rail", which again is a near meaningless but frequently tossed-around phrase.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail_of_politics

The third rail of a nation's politics is a metaphor for any issue so controversial that it is "charged" and "untouchable"; any politician or public official who dares to broach the subject will invariably suffer politically. The term is most commonly used in North America. The "third rail of American politics" is often said to be cutting Social Security; the "third rail" of Canadian politics is said to be public health care.

The third rail in a railway is the exposed electrical conductor that carries high voltage power. Stepping on the high-voltage third rail usually results in electrocution. The use of the term in politics serves to emphasize the "shock" that results from raising the controversial idea, and the "political death" (or political suicide) that the unaware or provocative politician would encounter as a result. Disagreement may occur over whether a specific issue is a "third rail" issue. What is considered a "third rail" issue varies by country. Third-rail issues usually only die when politicians who have proven their credentials on related matters ignore the taboo and openly challenge the controversial issue.

Another that annoys me is "the fourth estate". Which is the media. And I understand that the media is considered the unofficial fourth branch of government that is supposed to keep the other three (Executive, Legislative, and Supreme Court branches) accountable to the voters. But I don't understand inclusion of the word "estate". It sure doesn't sound like a term for the news media. So why not just plainly say: News Media !

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2013-11-21 10:53 PM

The latest trendy word for the last two or three weeks, related to Obamacare, is "death-spiral".

Which is basically a term for the predicted implosion of Obamacare due to its financial unsustainability, where only sick people sign up for Obamacare, and healthy people (who wouldn't sign up at regular rates) definitely won't sign up when forced to pay double or more what their normal rates would be. At which point the system collapses.

The alternative is another government bailout, where the federal government takes over funding the program with taxpayer dollars (with either further spiking debt or higher taxes to fund it). Which some think was the Democrats' plan all along. Although not in a way that cost them such a drop in the polls.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-03-13 9:16 AM
With this last David Jolly-Alex Sink special election for a Congressional seat in Florida, another annoying buzz-word is back in the news:

Quote:

Bellwether

A bellwether is any entity in a given arena that serves to create or influence trends or to presage future happenings.

The term is derived from the Middle English bellewether and refers to the practice of placing a bell around the neck of a castrated ram (a wether) leading his flock of sheep. The movements of the flock could be noted by hearing the bell before the flock was in sight.

They couldn't just say "precursor" or "beginning of a trend"?

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-03-13 9:22 AM

It somehow reminds me of another annoying trendy political buzz-word, windfall gains.

Annoying terms that have no visible connection with what they actually describe.

The Economist actually has a pretty clear and non-text-bookish definition of these terms:

Quote:

Windfall gains

INCOME you do not expect, such as winning a lottery prize. Economists have long argued about whether people are likely to save such windfalls or spend them. According to the PERMANENT INCOME HYPOTHESIS, favoured by most economists, people save the lion's share of windfall gains. But real life often contradicts this; ask any lottery winner.

Windfall profit

A controversial concept, often used by politicians to justify imposing a TAX on PROFIT that in theory is earned unexpectedly, through circumstances beyond the control of the company concerned, and is thus deemed undeserved and ripe for the taking by the tax authorities. As the profits were neither expected nor a result of the efforts of the firm, taxing them should not harm the firm's incentives to maximise future profits. The problem comes when greedy politicians start claiming that profits are windfalls when in fact they are deserved and expected. Then taxing them sends a signal to FIRMS that they should not try too hard to make profits, as if they do too well they will not get to keep the profits anyway. If this became widely believed, effort would probably decline and economic GROWTH would be slower.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-05-24 11:18 PM

I just learned that "crossing the Rubicon" refers to when Julius Ceasar crossed the Rubicon river during his power grab to turn Rome from a republic into an empire.
Posted By: the G-man Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-05-24 11:27 PM
This whole thing of adults accusing each other of "bullying." "Bullying" has become anything that politician A says that's unflattering about politician B or vice versa.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-09-23 5:50 PM

The phrases I'm sick to death of hearing over the last 2 weeks, (regarding Obama's course of action against ISIS in Iraq and Syria) are:

1) "boots on the ground", the annoying term for whether Obama will limit U.S. military involvement to air-strikes, or will take the necessary step of sending in ground troops to complete the mission. Because no other potential ally in the region, such as Syrian resistance fighers or the Kurds, or Iraq, or Jordan, have the ground troops needed to do the job right.

2) "it's like three-dimensional chess", another annoying term for the complexity of the situation in Iraq/Syria, with no easy solutions.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2014-10-06 10:26 PM

This is the most buzz words I've ever seen in a single article !

http://www.bloombergview.com/quicktake/american-political-jargon

A commentary on the buzz words. I don't agree that the use of buzz words necessarily means they're engaging in partisan politics and not discussing the real issues. Some of the terms are just trite phrases, and not necessarily partisan.

Other terms like "dog whistle" are definitely partisan.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-05-03 9:12 PM

A word that's been bugging the hell out of me regarding the Indiana primary (which may or may not be Ted Cruz's last stand), is constantly calling Indiana "the hoosier state".

It's an utterly meaningless word that is repeated over and over, and adds nothing to the discussion. It's only with the vaguest of speculation that even an origin can be postulated for the word, let alone any meaning to it in a modern context.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/hoosier?s=t

Quote:
Word Origin and History for Hoo-sier Expand

"native or resident of Indiana," by c.1830, American English, of unknown origin; fanciful explanations were printed in 1830s newspapers. Said to have been first printed Jan. 1, 1833, in the "Indianapolis Journal," in a poem, "The Hoosiers Nest," by John Finely, which poem was said to have been written in 1830 ["The Word Hoosier," "Indiana Historical Society Publications," vol. IV, No. 2, 1907], and to have been in oral use from late 1820s. Seemingly it originated among Ohio River boatmen; perhaps related to English dialectal (Cumberland) hoozer, used of anything unusually large [Barnhart]. For other theories, see the above quoted source.

This one cracks me up:

Quote:
hoosier

noun
1.A rustic; hick (1846+)
2.A prison guard (1930s+ Prison)

[origin uncertain; perhaps related to southern Appalachian hoozer, ''anything unusually large, humdinger'']

Perhaps that's what one would have to be, to allow themselves to be labelled with such a meaningless word.

I also hate goofy terms like "Shytown" for Chicago, or "the Big Apple" for New York. And even state nicknames like "the Sunshine state" for my native Florida.

A few months ago, they were referring to one as "the Granite state" over and over during the primaries, which leaves most wondering what the fuck state they're even talking about.
One could, y'know, just say New Hampshire, so people actually know what state you're talking about!

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-10-04 6:32 PM

The term "A.D." or Anno Domini (the year of our Lord) is lately being replaced by terms attempting to de-Christianize the standard time measurement, with terms like B.C.E. (before common era), which comes with its own set of problems, in eliminating the source-point from which time is measured.

But even A.D. has its problems. Even after Wikipedia's explanation, it still leaves an ambiguity and potential gap in time measurement, in not giving a "zero" starting point.
There's a question of how one measures time. The starting point is the birth of Christ. "B.C." or Before Christ is fairly easy, it just measures backward from the point of Jesus' birth.

But "A.D." is a bit more difficult. Jesus lived for 33 years.
So does 1 A.D. measure 1 year after Jesus' birth?
Or is it 1 year after his death (which could alternately be 33 + 1, or 34 A.D.)?
i.e., one year after His birth, vs. 1 year after his death. Which potentially leaves a gap of time measurement of 33 years of Jesus' life excluded from time measurement, measuring only backward from Jesus' birth (B.C., Before Christ), and forward from the point of his death (A.D., After Death).

Even Wikipedia's long-winded explanation doesn't adequately clarify that.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-10-12 1:22 AM
Fox News' 6PM Special Report assessed the most current polls and how that would break down electorally, that on the current polls would break down to about 175-360 in favor of Hillary Clinton. It was described as, if the election were held today based on these polls it would be a "Landslide victory".

I had to look that up to know precisely what that means
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landslide_victory

And I recall the 2010 Republican take-back of the House described as a "Wave Election"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_election

When I haven't heard these terms in a few years, I need a refresher course on what they mean.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-10-12 3:17 AM

The Washington Post has a slightly different electoral count although (liberal media, of course!) still favoring Hillary. But compiled from RealClearPolitics current average of polls in each state.

273-186 in favor of Hillary.
Just before the first debate, Trump was leading in most of these 13 battleground states. So it isn't over yet.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-10-15 8:22 PM

Another term that is somewhat gray in its paramaters to me (despite all my life being a Presbyterian Christian) is the term, as in political demographics, evangelical Christians.

Quote:

evangelical

1. Also, evangelic. pertaining to or in keeping with the gospel and its teachings.

2. belonging to or designating the Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the Scriptures, especially of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and that stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ.

3. designating Christians, especially of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.

4. pertaining to certain movements in the Protestant churches in the 18th and 19th centuries that stressed the importance of personal experience of guilt for sin, and of reconciliation to God through Christ.

5. marked by ardent or zealous enthusiasm for a cause.

noun

6. an adherent of evangelical doctrines or a person who belongs to an evangelical church or party.

The portion that rings most true for me:

Quote:
evangelical in Culture:

A member of any of various Christian churches that believes in the sole authority of the literal Bible, a salvation only through regeneration, or rebirth, and a spiritually transformed personal life.

Although that still leaves quite a bit of wiggle room and ambiguity, where you could include or exclude any denomination of Christians you want in how you define "evangelicals".
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-11-19 11:23 PM

"Alt-Right"

I've heard it for a year or two, but have heard it a lot more since Trump named Steve Bannon (along with Reinz Priebus) as his co-chief of staff. Bannon is demonized by the Left as a racist associated with the KKK and so forth, and I really don't see any evidence of that.
The worst allegation is that Bannon on the Breitbart.com site he runs has used some tittilating and arguably racist/sexist headlines. Ridiculous. The idea is to use a headline that draws attention and gets clicks, right?

The liberal media uses this term to slanderously imply that anyone in this broad ambiguously defined movement is racist/dangerous/white supremacist, a KKK member or sympathizer, or otherwise right wing militant crazy.
That same liberal media, of course, ignores the ACTUAL Left wing militant craziness that is killing cops, threatening people and destroying property, while the Right (even if they were these KKK-like things, which I seriously doubt) are threatening no one.

Posted By: the G-man Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2016-11-20 7:33 PM
Funny how the media loves to toss around "alt right" but pretends that BLM, Occutards, etc., aren't representative of the DNC these days.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2017-03-15 1:42 AM

Yes, and if you've looked at the Black Lives Matter website, their ideology is rabidly anti-white and openly advocates killing whites, even white babies, that is certainly comparable to the KKK's ideology, if not even more violent.

A term that has gained visibility in only the last week or so is "Deep state"

Quote:
The idea of a deep state, as applied to the United States, is a conspiracy theory[1][2][3] whose adherents assert that there exists a state within a state, which they suspect exerts influence and control over public and foreign policy, regardless of which political party controls the country's democratic institutions.[4][5][6][7][8] The term has also been used in political science.[9][10]

The term gained attention in 2017 as the Trump administration has struggled to control the federal bureaucracy in the face of leaks.[11]

Which Wikipedia, clearly entrenched by the liberal media and liberal academics, poses in its linked description as a "conspiracy theory", "which they suspect asserts influence and control over public and foreign policy..." "that its adherents assert..." rather than acknowledging the reality that over 90% of bureaucrats in government branches like the State Department, the FBI, CIA, NSA, U.S. Justice Department, and IRS are Democrats who are strong advocates and campaign donors to the Obama and Hillary Clinton campaigns, many belonging to public unions who donate overwhelmingly to Democrats, and are obviously the ones obstructing (and in the Obama administration weaponizing) their branches against Republican/conservative groups and political donors.

There is way too much evidence of this to dismiss the attacks on political opposition by Democrats in these federal agencies, abusing the power and national secrets of their position, secret FISA court warrants for surveilance, and releases of information calculated to embarass and undermine President Trump, compromising national security to do so, to dismiss it as merely "asserted" or just "a conspiracy theory".
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2017-03-28 7:05 PM

With the attempted Obamacare repeal, some old terms are frequently referenced in the media again:

Posted By: the G-man Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2017-03-28 9:55 PM
Fraught
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2017-04-19 7:40 PM

"strategic patience"

One I've only heard in the last week or so, as the Trump administration has pushed back firmly against North Korean aggression and threats.

Which is contrasted with the Obama administration's "strategic patience" (i.e., ignoring N. Korean threats and nuclear tests, in the plan to just let things calm down and not escalate, but which in reality just emboldened N. Korea and other bad players on the global stage to even greater levels of aggression.)

I never heard the term during the Obama years, although it seems to have been coined during that time, perhaps by the Obama administration itself.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2017-04-19 7:47 PM

I also just looked at Wikipedia's page for the word "gay".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

Interesting to see the gradual evolution of the word. At first meaning happy or carefree, evolving to carefree uninhibitedness and hedonism, to a broad term for sexual deviancy, to in the mid/late 1960's increasingly used as a widespread euphemistic term for homosexuality.

I recall hearing it the first time in the early 1970's, in particular the first time I heard it on television was during an episode of the TV series Alice, circa 1975. Where she was dating an NFL player who she really liked, and asked after several dates why he didn't come on to her sexually.
He smiles and says "Alice... I'm gay."
With a stunned look and a smile, she said "You don't mean just... jolly gay, do you?"

It was a very funny line.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-02-07 3:28 PM

One I've heard repeatedly to describe the likes of James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, Robert Meuller and the other Deep State Hillary/Obama loyalists rigging the system against Trump is the term "Praetorian Guard".

The shoe definitely fits:

Quote:
The Praetorian Guard (Latin: cohortes praetoriae) was an elite unit of the Imperial Roman Army whose members served as personal bodyguards to the Roman emperors. During the era of the Roman Republic, the Praetorians served as a small escort force for high-ranking officials such as senators or provincial governors like Procurators. With the Republic's transition into the Roman Empire, however, the first emperor Augustus founded the Guard as his personal security detail. Although they continued to serve in this capacity for roughly three centuries, the Guard became notable for its intrigue and interference in the Roman military, participating in games and recruitment off of legionnaires and Roman Politics, to the point of overthrowing emperors and proclaiming their successors. In 312 the Guard was ultimately disbanded by Constantine the Great.

Those who are trusted to guard the system, are actually the ones undermining the system.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-02-11 10:11 PM

I hate the modern obsession with acronyms, and was just introduced to a new one, TEOTWAWKI.
(a k a, the end of the world as we know it.)

A term popular among doomsday preppers, end-time-prophecy Christians, and others apocalyptically inclined.

Another that annoys the hell out of me is "POTUS".
How is that any easier than saying "President"?

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-02-24 5:41 AM

Relative to the Russia/Trump special investigation, I've heard it said the Russians use "Bots" or "ad-Bots" to stoke division on both sides through thousands of social media accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter_bot

I still barely understand the concept. Except that it is a program that automatically sends out Twitter posts and re-posted content, to spread propaganda.

I was surprised that there are positive aspects too, such as a Wikipedia bot that notifies them when Wikipedia is edited by someone with a U.S. Senate/Congress IP address, or a British Parliament address. Although that could have a downside that it allows their political opposition to edit/propagandize Wikipedia in their favor, while not allowing government officials to do the same or respond.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-06-29 10:45 AM

Virtue Signalling

Quote:
Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values.[1] The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.[2]
In recent years, the term has become more commonly used as a pejorative by commentators to criticize what they regard as empty or superficial support of certain political views, and also used within groups to criticize their own members for valuing appearance over action.[3][4]

I've heard the term a lot in the lest few weeks. Laura Ingraham is the last one I heard use the term, in the context of Democrat posturing over the immigration debate. That they have demagogued Republicans as callously indifferent to the plight of illegals and DACA children. But in fact from 2006 on through the Obama years, when Democrats had control of the House, Senate and the Presidency, they never passed law or made a priority of dealing with the problems regarding immigration.

Within the last 6 months, Trump offered the Dems a great deal that would have taken immigration off the table as an issue, but generous as it was, Democrats refused it, as Trump knew they would. Because Democrats' priority is not solving the immigration problem, but keeping their Hispanic voter-base fired up and angry, in a way that they can scapegoat Republicans for the problem.

I still find virtue signaling not the clearest of terms, but essentially posturing virtuousness, without actually following through and doing the right thing.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-11-06 5:40 PM

I just ran across this term....

WW1WGA

I hate acronyms and text abbreviations. But what the hell, I looked it up:

https://medium.com/@martingeddes/wwg1wga-the-greatest-communications-event-in-history-698ba926df64

Quote:
we are witnessing right now one of the greatest communications events in history. Indeed, it is arguably the singularly greatest. So, what is this event, and why does it deserve this extraordinary description? The answers are to be found in how the (Western) mass media has been trapped by the most exquisitely constructed double bind.

If I am correct (and many share my view), then it portends the imminent collapse of trust in all mass media services and social media platforms. That is because they are implicated in systemic, widespread and longstanding organised crime — that also encompasses much of our political and financial system. If this is unequivocally demonstrated to be so, then the public will unite in disgust at the media's treacherous betrayal of its journalistic duties..."

A lot more text, but that's the thesis of it.

There's a video too that explains. It argues that Trump's election is partly engineered by U.S. military and intelligence types to clean up the corrupt corporatist/globalist authoritarian takeover of our system. Through a psy-ops military type plan of attack.

The part about forcing the media and its corporate handlers to overplay their hand and destroy their own credibility is interesting enough. But there's a lot more beyond that.

I thought this would interest Pariah most of all, although he probably already knows about it, way more than me. It's 4-chan conspiracy type stuff.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2018-11-08 5:12 PM

kinderwhore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinderwhore

Quote:
Kinderwhore was a clothing style used by a handful of mostly female grunge bands in the US during the early to mid-1990s. The kinderwhore look consisted of torn, ripped tight or low-cut babydoll and Peter Pan-collared dresses, slips, knee-socks, heavy makeup with dark eyeliner,[1] barrettes, and leather boots or Mary Jane shoes.[2][3][4]

It was described as "a strong feminist statement...about so much more than a little velvet dress, ripped tights and a dumb media-made label. It was about intentionally taking the most constraining parts of the feminine, good-girl aesthetic, inflating them to a cartoon level, and subverting them to kill any ingrained insecurities."[5] It has been noted that although the look was very feminine, when its exponents performed onstage they "stood tall and confident, they threw their guitars around like weapons, and screamed out whip-smart feminist lyrics. These women were questioning the cultural importance of typical beauty through costume and the stage. The whole mess of "tits, lace and lipstick" was purposeful symbolic."[5]

History

The origin of kinderwhore is uncertain. It is believed that Kat Bjelland of Babes in Toyland was the first to define it, while her former roommate Courtney Love of Hole was the first to popularize it. The term was coined by Melody Maker journalist Everett True.[5]

Love has claimed that she took the style from Divinyls frontwoman Christine Amphlett.[2] The look became very popular in 1994

I found this word while looking at a listing about actress Carroll Baker, and a movie I haven't seen that was apparently her definitive role titled Baby Doll based on a Tennesee Williams story.

Carroll Baker is from Johnstown, PA, where both my parents and most of my family are from. She is roughly the same age as my parents, and probably attended school at the same time as them. Which sparked my interest in her, and the "kinderwhore" fashion trend is listed as a legacy of Baker's character in the movie. The term is roughly 30 years old, and yet the first I've heard of it.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-01-10 10:18 AM

I was looking at a book listing...
https://theslingsandarrows.com/housebound-with-rick-geary/
...and for categorizing the book they have some evaluation categories:

Quote:
HOUSEBOUND with Rick Geary

North American Publisher / ISBN
Fantagraphics Books - 1-56097-050-2

Release date: 1991
Format: Black and white
UPC: 9781560970507

Contains adult content? no

Does this pass the Bechdel test? no

Positive minority portrayal? no

And one of the criteria is "the Bechdel test". What the hell?
So I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test

Pardon me while I throw up.
HUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLCCCCCHHHHHH !

I think it's safe to assume that's criteria that doesn't matter to anyone except the most far-left liberal basket cases.

It actually annoys me because 1) Rick Geary's work in this case evaluated is fun lighter work, and instead of evaluating it "no" it should be evaluated "n/a" or not applicable since it's irrelevant to the type of story being told.
And
2) Rick Geary is a left-coast California hippie kind of guy who probably agrees with their agenda and would never marginalize women, so this irrelevantly defames him for arbitrary reasons as anti-women/anti-feminist.
3) Most of his stories are basically narrated without showing a man or woman, or giving any dialogue to either gender.
It's just ridiculous.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-01-17 6:16 PM

"White Savior narrative"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_savior_narrative_in_film

Man, I hate the Left. They performed some incredible mental gymnastics to make many of these films conform to their narrative. In "The Help" for example, it's really twisting the message to say that movie has a white supremacist message. It's powerfully critical of the South and the white supremacist notions of the region in that segregationist period.

Likewise, one of my favorite films, "The Last Samurai", is about the greatness of Japanese culture. Only touched on in the movie is how Japan went from a feudalist medeival society in the mid 1860's, and after being terrified of an ironclad U.S. warship that came to Japan and intimidated them into signing a trade deal with the U.S., its leaders set on a rapid program of industrialization and nationalizing Japan into a unified country (as only touched on in portraying Cruise as a hired military advisor). In less than 30 years Japan became a world power, that conquered and colonized Korea in 1895, and defeated Russia and sank half Russia's navy at Port Arthur in 1905. In the film, Cruise's character learns the Samurai culture, and at the end only reminds the emperor of Japan's own greatness and traditions, far from being a "White Savior".

The Left jumps through such incredible hoops to rationalize their own self-loathing, and to teach that self-loathing narrative to others. Along with other self-loathing terms like "institutionalized racism" and "white privelege".

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-01-23 10:26 PM

"Liberal Orthodoxy"

As often as this term is used, I was surprised to see it did not have a listing, either in Wikipedia or in Dictionary.com

The best I saw was this listing:

https://haciendapublishing.com/articles/...uel-faria-jr-md

Which consistent with the Orwell/1984 example he uses, has been Deleted from the liberal media real-world version of the Newspeak dictionary, in an attempt to remove it from the list of acceptable terms, a term that gives focus to understanding the ideology of Political Correctness/Cultural Marxism, and a vocabulary term to oppose it.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-03-18 8:01 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscegenation

Basically, an apparent legal term term for racial mixing, inter-racial couples and inter-racial children, for which there are Miscegenation laws to prevent.
Till now I'd never heard the term.

Till now I'd only heard the terms "mixed-race" or "mulatto" The latter appears to be a latin-American term for people who are a mix of white and one or more other races.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatto
Which either has become, or always was, an offensive pejorative term.

I came across Miscegenation in a Youtube comment where they listed a Twitter hashtag of:
#MiscegenationNation

A few others she had in her post were BBW (Big Beautiful Woman, women weighing upwards of 200 pounds)...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Beautiful_Woman
...and SSBBW (Super Size Big Beautiful Woman). That are not only terms, but are search categories of porn!

Somethin' out there for everybody, I guess...

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-04-17 7:32 AM

Courtesy of one of Pariah's old posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-04-22 9:16 AM

Quote:
calumny

noun, plural cal·um·nies.

1. a false and malicious statement designed to injure the reputation of someone or something:
The speech was considered a calumny of the administration.

2. the act of uttering calumnies; slander; defamation.

A word I've heard multiple conservative pundits use in the last few days to describe the Mueller report, and to describe its perpetuation of the "obstruction of justice" myth.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-05-08 7:02 PM

Just used by Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) in the hearings to hold attorney general Barr in contempt:

sword of Damocles - is a figure featured in a single moral anecdote commonly referred to as "the Sword of Damocles,"[1][2] an allusion to the imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power. Damocles was an obsequious courtier in the court of Dionysius II of Syracuse, a 4th-century BC tyrant of Syracuse, Sicily.

The anecdote apparently figured in the lost history of Sicily by Timaeus of Tauromenium (c. 356–260 BC). The Roman orator Cicero may have read it in the texts of Greek historian Diodorus Siculus. He used it in his Tusculanae Disputationes, 5. 61,[1] by which means it passed into the European cultural mainstream.

[ Basically, to have a sword positioned over you, hanging by only a fragile thread, that could fall on the person and kill them at any time, as they remain in a sustaained position of imminent peril. ]

Hobson's choice - is a free choice in which only one thing is offered. Because a person may refuse to accept what is offered, the two options are taking it or taking nothing. In other words, one may "take it or leave it". The phrase is said to have originated with Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), a livery stable owner in Cambridge, England, who offered customers the choice of either taking the horse in his stall nearest to the door or taking none at all.

Both allusions to the position Democrats have put attorney general William Barr in, with constant threats and slanders of his character and partisanship, pressuring him to release the redacted portions of the Mueller report, which is in itself a federal crime if he were to do it. Which naturally Barr cannot do, but not doing it, the Dems are able to accuse Barr of hiding the truth, and allege he is doing so for partisan reasons to protect Trump.
When in truth Dems are trying to discredit Barr to prevent him from indicting people like James Comey, Andrew McCabe, James Baker, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, Bruce Ohr and Nellie Ohr, Rod Rosenstein, Sally Yates, James Brennan, James Clapper, and others in the Clinton campaign and Obama administration who actually did collude with Russsian government officials and actually did obstruct justice to exonerate Hillary Clinton and falsely accuse Trump to cripple his campaign and presidency.

The irony being that Barr is pursuing equal protection, and equal punishment, under the law, and Democrats are trying to prevent that to benefit themselves politically. They only want Republicans prosecuted, and are corruptly leveraging the power they have to get Democrats a free pass, and to destroy those in pursuit of actual justice and equal protection under the law.

If Lois Lerner had been prosecuted in 2013, Democrats would not have been emboldened to the abuses of FBI, DOJ and the FISA court surveillance on the Trump campaign, and sabotage of the Hillary Clinton prosecution, that they have indulged in since.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-05-14 7:38 AM

"Woke"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

Another useless semi-literate slang word that only projects the vaguest notion of social awareness, from a perpetual racial victimhood perspective.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-05-24 1:45 AM

"Spinner"

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spinner

A petite woman. Denoted as a joke, whereby the petite woman is so thin she is able to be mounted and spun in a circle on an erect penis.

"She's a spinner."

A term I've heard for close to 20 years, and I always had a vague idea what it means, but here it is defined. It's one of the few terms I've not been able to find on either Wikipedia or Dictionary.com
Because it is, quite obviously, crude slang. And not even that clearly defined.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-05-29 4:49 AM

Mark Levin tonight on Hannity:
"These quislings in the news media..."

quisling

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/quisling#

Quote:
a person who betrays his or her own country by aiding an invading enemy, often serving later in a puppet government; fifth columnist.

RELATED WORDS:
sympathizer, deserter, double-crosser, turncoat, betrayer, defector, collaborator, Judas, two-timer, colluder

Origin of quisling:
1940; after Vidkun Quisling (1887–1945), pro-Nazi Norwegian leader

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-05-29 8:19 PM

Another acronym I never heard till today "OLC".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Legal_Counsel

I doubt if 1% of the population knows what the hell that stands for, and it really breaks the flow when you're trying to absorb rapid-fire political analysis.

Another case where just saying "Office of Legal Counsel" would be so much easier than this annoying acronym. Its relentless use triggered by Mueller's 11 AM press conference, that he basically used to reveal nothing, other than ambiguously smear President Trump and attorney general Barr.

At least once they also said "OIG"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Inspector_General_(United_States)

AG = Attorney General

AAG = Assistant Attorney General

Easy to figure out, if you have some familiarity with those titles. I'm used to hearing the full titles, not the acronyms.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-06-08 11:44 PM

Another annoying new word I've been hearing for a month or two on the news channels is "presser", instead of just saying press conference.

Another one of those pointlessly annoying abbreviated terms, like POTUS, FLOTUS (first lady), SALT (state and local tax), and similar trendy slang phrases and acronyms, that actually confuse more than help.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-06-09 8:37 PM

Relative to a news story I read yesterday, about an Antifa activist trying to chain the doors shut of a university campus meeting room, and trap a group of campus conservatives in the room.

deplatforming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deplatforming

Quote:
Deplatforming, also known as no-platforming, is a form of political activism or prior restraint by an individual, group, or organization with the goal of shutting down controversial speakers or speech, or denying them access to a venue in which to express their opinion.
Tactics used to achieve this goal among community groups include direct action, and Internet activism.

It is also a method used by social media and other technology companies to selectively suspend, ban, or otherwise restrict access to their platform by users who have allegedly violated the platform's terms of service, particularly terms regarding hate speech.

Banking and financial service providers, among other companies, have also denied services to controversial activists or organizations, a practice known as financial deplatforming.
The term deplatforming also refers generally to tactics, often organized using social media, for preventing controversial speakers or speech from being heard. Deplatforming tactics have included disruption of speeches, attempts to have speakers disinvited to a venue or event, and various forms of personal harassment including efforts to have an individual fired or blacklisted.

It's basically the mindset and political action that conservatives are so abhorrent and "Nazi" that they can't be permitted to speak in an auditorium or on a college campus, or have a booksigning, or post opinions on social media, or be permitted to have a website, or increasingly, to even have privacy, or even work and not be fired.

The irony. The liberals attacking and trying to silence their political opposition as Nazis, are in fact the true intolerant and hateful Nazis.

I don't know how long the term has existed. It was a term in the Antifa e-mail of the 18-year-old kid arrested, marching orders from the leaders of his local Antifa branch, that conservatives "have to be deplatformed" and deprived in both public and on social media of a forum to speak and get out their message.

When I googled for a print article of what I saw on OANN...
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/06/0...-gets-arrested/
...it was unusual that all the sites in the search list were conservative. That tells me this story is completely unreported in the liberal media. Otherwise Google (in its liberal bias) would show me all liberal media sites for 5 or 10 search pages.

Normally I would have to search under...
  • WSJ antifa
    National Examiner antifa
    Fox News antifa
    Dailycaller antifa
    Breitbart antifa
    New York Post antifa
    National Review antifa
    America Conservative antifa
    MRC antifa

...and so forth, otherwise Google would never even show me a conservative report on the subject, only liberal ones like CNN, MSNBC, HuffPost, ABC, NBC, CNN, Vox, The Nation, DailyKos, Media matters and so forth. Unless specifically searched for, under George Orwell's Newspeak search engine, it's as if conservative media doesn't even exist.

"deplatforming" indeed.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-06-26 5:58 AM

One I heard recently on a panel that I've never heard elsewhere, but richly deserves to be a buzzword:

The outrage industrial complex.

In reference to Democrats hyperventilating over the latest thing Trump recently said, and their tea-leaf reading the usual racist connotations into whatever Trump's ambiguous remark. Related to Trump securing the border, getting Mexican cooperation, and wanting to deport about a million who crossed illegally, were permitted to stay here, didn't show up for their court date, and were after review denied the legitimate basis to stay here.
It's been a good week for Trump. That generally gets the Dems torqued up to a whole new level of crazy and race-baiting.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-06-26 6:12 AM

And a term that I sometimes need to refresh myself on, grand jury

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_jury

There are details of a grand jury that I still don't fully understand. As best I comprehend it, it's a group of one's peers (regular citizens, not legal professionals) who review the evidence against a person, to determine from a layman's perspective whether the evidence is sufficiant to warrant an indictment and trial for a defendant.

If Law and Order episodes portray it accurately, grand juries can also be assembled to determine whether warrants can be issued. The last episode of Law and Order, titled "Rubber Room", had a person online boasting they were going to use guns and bombs to do a mass killing at a school (it turned out to be a suspended teacher). In the episode, a grand jury was summoned to get a warrant to go through students' computers and lockers to find the suspect. In the episode, the grand jury resisted that level of intrusion based on what they as laymen perceived as insufficient evidence.

I'm not clear on when a judge would authorize a warrant, vs. when a grand jury would authorize a warrant.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-07-01 4:46 AM

Originally Posted By: W B, 1-23-2019

"Liberal Orthodoxy"

As often as this term is used, I was surprised to see it did not have a listing, either in Wikipedia or in Dictionary.com

The best I saw was this listing:

https://haciendapublishing.com/articles/...uel-faria-jr-md

Which consistent with the Orwell/1984 example he uses, has been Deleted from the liberal media real-world version of the Newspeak dictionary, in an attempt to remove it from the list of acceptable terms, a term that gives focus to understanding the ideology of Political Correctness/Cultural Marxism, and a vocabulary term to oppose it.

Along the same lines, the cultural marxist/politically correct Left and the Newspeak media have done their damnedest to stamp out usage of other words.

A few months ago, Trump said he is a "nationalist', and the news media had a hissy fit and tried to say it's a word he and others can't use, adding a connotation of white nationalism/racism/authoritarianism that was clearly not intended, by Trump or by others who use the term. But is an attempt by the Newspeak media to stamp out the term. One that is a rallying concept for those who stand firm for the preservation of our sovereign Constitutional republic, and resist the creep toward globalism and the U.S.'s (and Britain's) rising dependency on foreign trade partners.

Likewise the term "globalism" that the Left and Newspeak media now similarly allege has connotations of antisemitism and white nationalism. Again, a term that snaps in focus the threat of losing our sovereignty to a global system, that the Orwellian Left wants to stamp out as a rallying concept, by attempting to add a racist context that never previously existed, and shame people into not using the word. To essentially wipe out its usage and ban it from the PC Newspeak dictionary.
Ironically, it is the Democrat/Left that is consistently antisemitic and anti-Israel, even as they accuse Republicans of being antisemitic and white nationalist.

Until the last few years, I always thought that language always works in the opposite way, that words like quisling or Clintonian are constantly expanding the language, that terms could not be eliminated as Orwell envisioned. But now the Left increasingly tells us what we can eat or drink, what companies or political groups can or cannot advertise, what companies or groups (and their supporters) can or cannot use credit purchases or obtain loans, what any of us can say publicly, and what words we can use. Orwell's ideas are increasingly a passive reality of the world we live in, and not speculative fiction. Particularly with the level of central control possible with the internet, and the far-Left politics of the liberals who run companies that dominate search engines and social media.

Steve Hilton discussed this for his entire "The Next Revolution" show tonight, and gave a number of similar examples, different from the ones I just listed.

That's not even getting into the sweeping censorship and complete erasure of all conservative opinion and factual information, of one entire side of the political spectrum, by online platforms like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Amazon and Youtube.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2019-10-31 5:01 AM

There's a few words you only hear as part of a popular catch-phrase, such as Sean Hannity saying almost nightly that Rep. Adam Schiff is a "congenital liar", which I find kind of blunts the point by using a word I think most are unfamiliar with.

I refreshed my memory of what "congenital" means:

Quote:
congenital

1. of or relating to a condition present at birth, whether inherited or caused by the environment, especially the uterine environment.

2. having by nature a specified character:
a congenital fool.

If Hannity called him a "habitual liar", or a "natural-born liar" that might have more impact for most of his viewers. Or more succinctly just "a liar". I don't see where any of these adjectives are necessary.

Another one that annoys me is when politicians are accused of something and they say they "categorically deny" the allegations. Why not just say "deny"? I doubt most people even know what categorical even means. Politicians seem to think saying this somehow stops all debate on the subject.
Oh, well, he says he categorically denies it! Well, that's it then, we can't challenge that!

Please...

Quote:

categorical

1. without exceptions or conditions; absolute; unqualified and unconditional:
a categorical denial.

2. Logic. a (of a proposition) analyzable into a subject and an attribute related by a copula, as in the proposition “All humans are mortal.”
b (of a syllogism) having categorical propositions as premises.

3. of, relating to, or in a category.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-01-30 7:37 PM

The annoying trendy catch-phrase of the week is "mutually assured destruction", in regard to the Trump impeachment trial in the Senate. That Democrats want to call John Bolton to testify and Republicans don't, and Republicans want Joseph Biden and Hunter Biden to testify and Democrats don't.

So the likelihood is both sides will agree not to hear further witnesses, each side not wanting witnesses that will hurt or complicate their side's case to be heard.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-03-18 4:02 PM

"Flattening the curve" - a term for people avoiding public contact to reduce the otherwise forseeable spike in new cases, slowing the rate of new infections, to the point that the Covid-19 outbreak hospitalized cases don't overwhelm the amount of available hospital beds and respirators to treat them adequately.

"social distancing" - the Covid-19 virus spreads on droplets exhaled, coughed or sneezed by an infected person, so the CDC recommends keeping at least 6 feet away from any other person. Resulting in the mass closing of restaurants, bars, and workplaces, to prevent close contact and further infection.

Unbelievable, on March 9, Wuhan Flu/Covid-19 was a distant thing that was a long way off. How quickly it came among us, and changed our lives overnight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_coronavirus_pandemic

And another term I've heard multiple reporters use over the last 2 weeks regarding the outbreak, calling it
"a black swan".

Here's a Coronavirus glossary of terms.

And
"triage" -a term for rationing limited medical resources in a case where a hospital is overwhelmed with more patients than they have medical facilities or staff to deal with (as cited in Italy).

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-04-10 6:22 AM

"Potemkin Village"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village

One of the anchors of Fox Business News used this phrase in describing the facade image the Chinese government tries to present to the rest of the world.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-06-23 4:16 AM

Juneteenth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

I first heard the word in the introduction to a Harlan Ellison book in the early 1990's. I thought it was just some dumb word he made up like in other stories he's written, such as "Shatterday" or "plasteel" or "Riding the Daymare".

But as it turns out, over 20 years later, I finally know that "Juneteenth" means a bit more, that while Lincoln's emancipation proclamation was in 1863, news that slavery was abolished was finally announced in the last backwaters of the overthrown Confederacy when U.S. troops announced it in Texas on June 19, 1865.

And apparently, the current Black Lives Matter crowd wants to turn it into a national "Hate Whitey Day". We already have Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, July 4th/Independence Day, Labor Day, Arbor Day, Cinco de Mayo, Armed Forces Day, Earth Day, Patriot Day, Constitution Day, Columbus Day, Hannukah, Christmas, New Year's Eve, and Kwanzaaa. A good percentage of these holidays didn't exist when I was in high school. There's 365 days in the year, pretty soon every day of the year will recognize some historic event or cause.

And if you think it's pointless to create yet another holiday, you are, of course... a racist!

I'm sorry, but when we already recognize the Emancipation Proclamation by Lincoln on Sept 22, 1862, and the 13th Amendemnt to the Constitution in Dec 1865, in addition to all the other holidays dedicated to our national history and wars, including Marling Luther King Day specifically for black History, as well as Black History Month, I just find "Juneteenth" a bit redundant.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-07-08 6:09 PM

Another term I never heard before, until a story about human rights in Turkey:

Country of Particular Concern (or CPC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_of_Particular_Concern

A set of nations designated by the U.S. State Department to have among the worst human rights treatment of their citizens.
Although considered second-tier on the list, the news story I saw said Turkey actually seems proud to have made that list.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-08-20 8:18 AM

At his daily press conference around 5:45PM today, President Trump was asked a question about "Quanan", and asked if he supports it. Trump said he is unaware of what it is.

A few pundits of the 93% anti-Trump liberal media have said: "How can Trump not know what QAnon is?"
To which I respond: I follow the news pretty closely and never heard of it till now. At least not by that name.

I vaguely recall Pariah giving reference to it a year or two ago in a topic he started, people on 4Chan claiming to be a secret group of insiders talking about making a pushback in the intelligence community against Democrat/Deep State conspiracy against Trump, and against the Deep State's Orwellian conspiracy against American society and freedom as a whole.

Two links:

https://www.conservapedia.com/QAnon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon

Note how (like the Russia Hoax) that likewise in this case no matter how proven by exposed conspirators working together (James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, "vive le resistance!" Kevin Clinesmith just pleading guilty today, Bruce and Nellie Ohr, FISA judge Rudolf Contreras, Bill Priestap, James Baker, Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton, the Jan 5 2017 white house meeting of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Susan Rice, Sally Yates, James Comey, John Brennan and James Clapper, where Sally Yates in her notes says Obama personally orchestrated the framing of Michael Flynn, where Yates says "I was so busy trying to process what I just heard that I couldn't pay attention to the rest of the meeting"... On and on. That's pretty concrete to be dismissed by Newspeak Wikipedia as just a "conspiracy theory".

But y'know, the pedophiles and other stuff.
Although the whole Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell thing seems to largely confirm even that part as much more than just a "conspiracy theory".

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-08-27 4:06 PM

A few other terms that have been back in the news:

The Hatch Act
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatch_Act_of_1939

Democrats are alleging Trump officials, particularly Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, are guilty of a "Hatch Act violation", by speaking politically at the Republican National Convention, in a taped speech from Israel, citing Trump's foreign policy victories worldwide. Which iss absurd. The act only prohibits officials from branches like the military and intelligence agencies like the FBI, CIA, NSA and DIA from such public statements.

and

Brady violation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_disclosure

In the example of Michael Flynn's prosecution and of other Trump officials targeted, where the FBI and DOJ deliberately suppressed exculpatory evidence that proved the innocence of people like Michael Flynn and Carter Page, to fraudulently submit and approve FISA warrants for surveillance and prosecutions of Trump officials, that should never have been approved.
There are about a dozen federal laws that these FBI and DOJ officials should be prosecuted and jailed for, including deliberately submitting false evidence to a federal judge, gross negligence, malicious prosecution, and leaking classified information from federal FBI/DOJ files.

Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-10-18 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
At his daily press conference around 5:45PM today, President Trump was asked a question about "Quanan", and asked if he supports it. Trump said he is unaware of what it is.

A few pundits of the 93% anti-Trump liberal media have said: "How can Trump not know what QAnon is?"
To which I respond: I follow the news pretty closely and never heard of it till now. At least not by that name.

I vaguely recall Pariah giving reference to it a year or two ago in a topic he started, people on 4Chan claiming to be a secret group of insiders talking about making a pushback in the intelligence community against Democrat/Deep State conspiracy against Trump, and against the Deep State's Orwellian conspiracy against American society and freedom as a whole.

Two links:

https://www.conservapedia.com/QAnon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QAnon

Note how (like the Russia Hoax) that likewise in this case no matter how proven by exposed conspirators working together (James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, "vive le resistance!" Kevin Clinesmith just pleading guilty today, Bruce and Nellie Ohr, FISA judge Rudolf Contreras, Bill Priestap, James Baker, Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton, the Jan 5 2017 white house meeting of Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Susan Rice, Sally Yates, James Comey, John Brennan and James Clapper, where Sally Yates in her notes says Obama personally orchestrated the framing of Michael Flynn, where Yates says "I was so busy trying to process what I just heard that I couldn't pay attention to the rest of the meeting"... On and on. That's pretty concrete to be dismissed by Newspeak Wikipedia as just a "conspiracy theory".

But y'know, the pedophiles and other stuff.
Although the whole Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell thing seems to largely confirm even that part as much more than just a "conspiracy theory".

QAnon has been in the news the last few days, since Trump was partisanly blitzkreiged about it relentlessly by (yet another) partisan moderator Samantha Guthrie.

Even from my post 2 months ago, I'd forgotten any trace of what it means. If I ever understood its meaning in the first place.
But yeah, Trump said he doesn't know what it means. How dare he.
No one knows what it means. It's just the latest case of the liberal media saying "Hey, look at this shiny object over here..."
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2020-10-31 9:03 AM

The Streisand Effect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Used by former secret service agent Dan Boningo on last night's Hannity program, regarding the attempts of far-Left social media like Twitter, Facebook, Google and the maainstream media to suppress links, and even mention of the Hunter Biden laptop e-mails revelation, in which Hunter and Joe Biden sold access to the then-Vice President to Russian, Ukranian and Chinese companies and governments in exchange for millions in payoffs.

"The Streisand effect" is when you try to suppress coverage of a story, it ultimately ends up generating even more coverage and interest in the story, giving it even more visibility than if you had not tried to suppress it in the first place.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2021-11-30 1:29 AM
Tucker Carlson just used the word "Kulak" in his opening editorial ( repeatedly using some elitist obscure word that virtually no one knows. As Carlson often does in his editorials, completely derailing his own point.)

I looked it up as "kulac", and dictionary.com offered "do you mean kulak". Luckily I made a fairly close guess:

Here's the definition:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/kulak

kulak [ koo-lahk, -lak; koo-lahk, -lak ]

noun (in Russia)
1. a comparatively wealthy peasant who employed hired labor or possessed farm machinery and who was viewed and treated by the Communists during the drive to collectivize agriculture in the 1920s and 1930s as an oppressor and class enemy.
2. (before the revolution of 1917) a prosperous, ruthless, and stingy merchant or village usurer.

ORIGIN OF KULAK
First recorded in 1875–80, kulak is from the Russian word kulák, literally, fist.

It was the same in China, where minor land owners were demonized by the Chinese communist government, and many were killed in brutal ways by communist revolutionaries after 1949. That might have better made Carlson's point, if he bothered to explain the term before using it 5 times in his opening statement.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-04-21 5:00 PM

"What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" phrase.

I happened to run across the origins of that phrase. It was actually what I recalled it being, an advertising phrase, popularized in TV commercials, paid for by the city of Las Vegas itself.
I couldn't recall the year it began, but recalled it was less than 20 years ago. It was begun in 2003, and the promotional campaign was actually conceived in 2000, but was delayed in its release, due to events of 9-11-2001, after which they thought it would be perceived as disrespectful to begin it after such a somber national event.

https://www.lyfepyle.com/phrase-origin-what-happen-in-vegas-stays-in-vegas/
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-04-21 5:33 PM
"crybully"

The panel was discussing this on Gutfeld's show last night. I wasn't clear if they themselves created the phrase (specifically, Tyrus on the panel) or if they were repeating it from somewhere else. The term seems to have been around a while. It was related to the story about Twitter deleting the "Libs of Tik Tok" user account on Twitter, that didn't attack liberals or transgender people, it just re-posted what crazy liberals themselves posted in their personal videos on Tik Tok.
But, as so often, just exposing the self-incriminating truth of what liberals openly say themselves is too truthful, and exposes their dangerous fanaticism, so Twitter suppressed the truth exposed by the user-account, by labelling it as "bullying" to close the account.

But shutting down the account wasn't enough for one New York Times/ Washington Post reporter, who made it her holy mission to dox and expose the person who ran the "Libs of Tik Tok" user account (even though the account no longer existed) and exposed the user's name, address, relatives' addresses and other personal information, so that every crazy liberal in the world could invade her private home and personal life, her office, and possibly even violently attack or kill her.

The "Libs of Tik Tok" user turned out to be a female real estate agent, who has fled her home and friends, because apparently threats and physical attacks are exactly what happened as a result of the doxing. It completely derailed her life, but in interviews (with Tucker Carlson), she seems to not be intimidated or a victim.

Contrast that with the New York Times / Washington Post reporter who maliciously outed her, who cries in interviews and bemoans how terrifying it is for her to be doxed and threatened. THE EXACT SAME TREATMENT SHE AFTER INFLICTED ON THE "LIBS OF TIK TOK" USER SHE DOXED !

"Crybully" is a term for someone who bullies and doxes people, as this reporter did, and then bemoans and cries and can't take it when the cruelty they unleashed on others is reversed back on them.
Which is pretty much the entire Democrat/Left.

Tucker Carlson has had a lot of fun with this Taylor Lorenz reporter person, over a year or so.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/libs-of-tik-tok-twitter-suspension-second-ban-videos-liberals

I hope the crybully phrase catches on.

Likewise another I hear occasionally, the outrage industrial complex that likewise denotes individuals of the Democrat/Left who are vicious and slanderous to others, and then whine and exaggerate when a tiny fraction of what they daily unleash on others is directed back at them. And further connotes that it is a political outrage machine (Jesse Jackson, Barack Obama: "If I had a son he would look like Trayvon...", Black Lives Matter, Al Sharpton, so many other Democrats who stoke and create racial hatred where it didn't previously exist) exploited for financial profit, as well as for power.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-04-21 5:57 PM
A bit more on "crybully" New York Times and Washington Post reporter Taylor Lorenz, with a number of clips of Tucker Carlson detailing her malicious and dishonest "journalist" behavior :

https://clashdaily.com/2022/04/cryb...ehind-anonymous-libs-of-tik-tok-account/

I love @libsoftiktok's posted response to the reporter Taylor Lorenz's clear malice:

Libs of TikTok
@libsoftiktok

Hi @TaylorLorenz! Which of my relatives did you enjoy harassing the most at their homes yesterday?

The @libsoftiktok lady is reported to be getting death threats from Antifa.

And some other conservative response to these facts:

@JackPosobiec
·
Apr 18, 2022
BREAKING: I am told Taylor Lorenz even showed up at the homes of family members of @libsoftiktok today
@ChristinaPushaw (FL Governor Ron DeSantis' press secretary)

This is restraining order level crazy

And ultimately:

Interesting how this is somehow more newsworthy than reporting on Hunter Biden’s laptop and “10% for the Big Guy” in the weeks before the 2020 Election, eh?

@JerryDunleavy

The WaPo article by Taylor Lorenz originally linked to the real estate license for the person behind the Libs of TikTok account— the link listed the person’s name, real estate license number, possible physical address, etc. WaPo only removed the link after being called out on it.
10:16 AM · Apr 19, 2022
Posted By: MisterJLA Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-04-24 9:43 PM
Ill Mac
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-04-25 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by MisterJLA
Ill Mac

??

I looked that up on Wikipedia and on Duck Duck Go, and saw nothing.
What does "Ill Mac" mean ?
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-08-22 4:40 AM

"Schedule F" executive order -

https://world-wire.com/schedule-f-executive-order/

A Schedule F Executive Order was a job classification in the United States federal civil service that included policy-making posts. It was established by President Donald Trump’s Executive Order 13957 on October 21, 2020, less than two weeks before the 2020 elections. President Joe Biden canceled it by presidential decree on January 22, 2021.

Employees classified as Schedule F would not have been subject to the Civil Service Rules and Regulations, including due process and possibly collective bargaining rights.

Appointees, on the other hand, cannot be discharged based on protected statuses such as whistleblower status, partisan affiliation, or claiming discrimination or harassment.

The directive aims to increase recruiting and firing freedom to improve performance management and accountability.

Schedule F posts are “positions of a confidential, policy-determining, policy-making, or policy-advocating nature that are not generally subject to change due to a Presidential transition.” The Executive Order specifies many characteristics of jobs that may be classified as Schedule F:

* Meaningful involvement in policy advocacy, development, or formulation, particularly in the formation or drafting of rules and advice
* Significant policy-related job at an agency or component that primarily focuses on policy
* the supervision of lawyers
* Significant latitude in determining how the agency performs responsibilities delegated to it by law
* Engaging with non-public policy proposals or deliberations that are under the purview of deliberative process privilege, and either:
* Directly reporting to or routinely working with an individual chosen by the President or an agency head paid at the GS-13 level or higher, or working in the agency or component’s executive secretariat conducting specific collective bargaining negotiations on the agency’s behalf.

According to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), these requirements are guidelines since not all posts covered by them must be transferred to Schedule F, and positions not covered by them may be converted.

These are broad enough to include many leading scientists, lawyers, regulators, public health professionals, and others. According to estimates, they cover tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of employees.

The Executive Order also establishes transition processes for transferring covered positions from competitive service to Schedule F, requiring executive agency heads to submit a list of positions to be converted along with a written justification to the OPM director. The OPM Director has exclusive authority to grant or deny the petition.

ORIGINS OF THE SCHEDULE F ORDER :

Schedule F was conceived in January 2019 by a little-known official working within the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, a magnificent Second Empire-style structure across the street from the White House.

For months, James Sherk, an entrepreneurial conservative ideologue on Trump’s Domestic Policy Council, had been raging about career employees across several agencies he claimed were purposefully obstructing Trump’s program.

He’d heard accounts from his coworkers and had firsthand experience with elements of the opposition. Within the State Department, there was a revolt against Trump’s draconian refugee policies.

The uprising was so strong that The Washington Post published an article 11 days after Trump took office detailing “a swelling surge of dissent from federal workers” tasked with carrying out Trump’s objectives.

Sherk began researching federal statutes on Cornell Law School’s website from his standing desk within the EEOB. He read Title 5, the section of the United States Code that governs government personnel and agency operations. He was looking for gaps in the legislation that may allow a president to terminate career government officials with protections that made firing them difficult and time-consuming.

Sherk investigated the history of federal labor laws. In 1883, Congress passed the Pendleton Act to improve the government. The purpose of this statute was to replace the patronage system with a neutral civil service that would work throughout administrations, regardless of which political party was in power. The goal was to establish a professional civil service. The notion was that these government employees would amass essential institutional knowledge and experience throughout their careers, which would help both Republican and Democratic presidents.

However, Sherk revealed that the Pendleton Act did not include the numerous removal safeguards that have made it difficult for modern presidents to fire federal workers. Through his study, Sherk discovered that such appeals rights were added considerably later, in a succession of legislation and presidential orders passed between the 1940s and the 1970s.

Sherk agreed with many conservatives that the “nonpartisan” system aided Democratic presidents while impeding Republicans.

He could use campaign donations — which trend Democratic among federal government employees — to argue that the federal bureaucracy, far from being apolitical, had too many embedded Democrats attempting to undermine Republican governments.

In his capacity at AFPI, Sherk has issued a lengthy study called “Tales from the Swamp” since leaving government, documenting how federal bureaucrats across numerous departments, including Labor and Justice, fought [against adoption of] Trump policies.

DURING AN ARIZONA RALLY, TRUMP PROMOTED "SCHEDULE F" EXECUTIVE ORDER

According to excerpts by Axios, former President Trump wants to praise his “Schedule F” executive order — and call on Congress to grant the President broader power to fire federal employees — in speeches set to be delivered in Florida on Saturday evening.

former President’s fresh campaign against federal employees comes after Jonathan Swan’s two-part Axios investigative series, “Inside Trump ’25,” revealed his aides’ plans to make the problem a focal point if he wins a second term.

Why it matters: By directly elevating Schedule F, Trump is ratcheting up efforts from well-funded outside allies to oust career public servants if he retakes power.

According to the extracts, Trump planned to address a Turning Point rally in Tampa, “To empty the swamp, we need to fire the swamp.”

Trump will remark in his address that he wants expanded presidential powers so that “any bureaucracy which is corrupt, stupid, or superfluous may be told: ‘You’re fired!'”

Schedule F Executive Order, which President Biden revoked on his second day in office, was largely unknown to the general public. Trump is now attempting to turn it into a prominent applause line as speculation grows that he may announce a presidential run in 2024.

Basically, "Schedule F" would have allowed a president or his administration to fire incompetent federal employees, or federal employees who are part of a bureucratic Deep State who oppose or obstruct President Trump's direct executive orders. (Such as President Trump ordering the de-classification of documents by the DOJ or FBI, to make them public and inform the American people what the true facts are, a de-classification intended by Trump's administration to prevent FBI and DOJ or Democrat-controlled House and Senate committees from unnecessarily hiding the true facts and documents, just to protect themselves from embarassment due to their own corruption, when there was really no national security reason to not make the documents public.
Deep State/Democrat loyalist bureaucrat FBI and DOJ employees deliberately prevented this de-classification of tens of thousands of documents, to protect themselves and the Democrats, AGAINST President Trump's direct orders to de-classify and release them in Dec 2020 and Jan 2021. Award-winning journalist John Solomon of JustTheNews covered this obstruction extensively for weeks, and to this day the documents President Trump de-classified have remained classified and hidden from the public.
https://justthenews.com/accountabil...atch-sues-doj-release-trump-declassified
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...ocuments_to_protect_cias_reputation.html

"Schedule F" would allow Trump or future presidents to fire incompetent or insubordinate or corrupt federal employees. Without "Schedule F", it is extremely difficult to fire or remove these insubordinate and corrupt employees.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-09-09 8:15 PM

For like the billionth time using Wikipedia, they used the term "titular character" in their listing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Super-Pets

They use it to describe a character whose name is in the title of a book or movie, as in the title character, which one might have just said in the first place.
They should just say "the title character".
Saying "titular" just makes me think of tits.
Posted By: iggy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-09-10 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy
.Nearly five hundred year old words are difficult for me and remind me that I'm a pervert. This must be the fault of trendy and hip millennials and communists Hell, who are we kidding? Millennials are communists! Grumble. Ramble. Yell at cloud!

Ok, Crazy Uncle Dave.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-09-11 6:54 PM
Originally Posted by iggy
Originally Posted by Wonder Boy (as FAKE SCRIPTED by Iggy, because that's all he has)
.Nearly five hundred year old words are difficult for me and remind me that I'm a pervert. This must be the fault of trendy and hip millennials and communists Hell, who are we kidding? Millennials are communists! Grumble. Ramble. Yell at cloud!

Ok, Crazy Uncle Dave.

I make a joke and you go PMS angry... and I'm the crazy one?
Look in the mirror, pinhead.

But really, your provocations are all just so much fishing .
Someday beyond insults, you might actually have something intelligent to say, beyond Nyah nyah nyah, you're a poopy face.
Posted By: iggy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-09-17 12:22 PM
Awww...poor little fella doesn't have daddy G-man and Pariah-san to feed his insanity anymore. I've explained enough that the whole reason I am here is to set you off because one good reply to a screed of yours and...you...can't...help...but...reply.

"But, Ron Paul?!?" And, his family is acting similarly dynastic in politics even as Rand drifts further from a lot of his dad's ideas. I do give Rand credit where it is due, however, and say as an example that he did expose the hell out of the false calls for policing reform on the left and extremism of "defund the police." Hell, they even abandoned McKesson for a reasonble "Eight Can't Wait" agenda because it wasn't abolishing the policing and prison systems.

But, no, I'm not an independent that can smell bullshit from either side from a mile away and generally observed the 2020 election as a sad moment in our country when we had to cart out a dementia patient that probably still thinks he's beholden to MBNA to beat a want-to-be petty tyrant that couldn't respond sanely to the pandemic and blew riding an economic wave unseen in decades to reelection. That's your jackass. I can, at least, say that they put Harris in a political death slot, so long as Biden remains conscious and breathing, by putting her into the VP slot so her word salads and unelectability stay front and center. That's something, I guess.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-09-18 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by iggy
Awww...poor little fella doesn't have daddy G-man and Pariah-san to feed his insanity anymore. I've explained enough that the whole reason I am here is to set you off because one good reply to a screed of yours and...you...can't...help...but...reply.

"But, Ron Paul?!?" And, his family is acting similarly dynastic in politics even as Rand drifts further from a lot of his dad's ideas. I do give Rand credit where it is due, however, and say as an example that he did expose the hell out of the false calls for policing reform on the left and extremism of "defund the police." Hell, they even abandoned McKesson for a reasonble "Eight Can't Wait" agenda because it wasn't abolishing the policing and prison systems.

But, no, I'm not an independent that can smell bullshit from either side from a mile away and generally observed the 2020 election as a sad moment in our country when we had to cart out a dementia patient that probably still thinks he's beholden to MBNA to beat a want-to-be petty tyrant that couldn't respond sanely to the pandemic and blew riding an economic wave unseen in decades to reelection. That's your jackass. I can, at least, say that they put Harris in a political death slot, so long as Biden remains conscious and breathing, by putting her into the VP slot so her word salads and unelectability stay front and center. That's something, I guess.

Quoted, only because you self-incriminatingly show what a malicious piece of human garbage you are.
No other response necessary.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-10-12 6:26 AM

"Pierre Delecto"

The Meaning Behind Mitt Romney's Secret Twitter Name "Pierre Delecto"

When Mitt Romney was asked if he had a secret Twitter account under the name Pierre Delecto, the former presidential candidate simply responded, "C’est Moi."

As expected, it didn't take long for political junkies to begin speculating the meaning behind Mitt's choice of "Pierre Delecto" as his lurker Twitter handle — and some of these predictions are pretty convincing.

SO WHAT DOES PIERRE DELECTO MEAN ?

Many took to the social media platform to come up with the reasoning behind the name choice, and for some, it was Mitt's fluency (and response) in French that made them believe the handle was inspired by the foreign language.

[ from Twitter Posts : ]

"Total speculation: it's a pun based on 'in pari delicto.' 'In pari' is replaced by 'Pierre' because Romney did his mission in France and speaks French, and 'delicto' (offense) is replaced with 'delecto' (delight)," one user wrote. "This explanation is also super dorky, and thus likely correct."
We can definitely see it.

Another user believes the name is actually referring to the Latin phrase, "In flagrante delicto (Latin: 'in blazing offense') or sometimes simply in flagrante (Latin: 'in blazing') is a legal term used to indicate that a criminal has been caught in the act of committing an offense."

For most, the name was too funny to pass tweeting a joke or two. "Pierre Delecto??? Sounds like Mitt Romney's porn name or something," one follower quipped before another added, "What’s the French for 'pathetic loser?'"
Ouch.

Mitt Romney wouldn't be the first to hide behind a pseudonym on the internet.
As news analyst Ana Navarro pointed out, Romney would hardly be the first politician to hide his identity on the world wide web.
case you need a quick refresher, Anthony Weiner went under the name Carlos Danger when he was chatting online with Sydney Leathers, and David Dennison is just one of Donald Trump's alter egos — and the named he used when paying off his mistress Stormy Daniels.

So, in comparison, Romney's secret Twitter habit is not too scandalous.

WHY DID MITT ROMNEY CREATE A FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

The 72-year-old told McCay Coppins of The Atlantic that he created "Pierre Delecto" — which is now set to private — to lurk. And basically defend himself against trolls.

"Jennifer, you need to take a breath. Maybe you can then acknowledge the people who agree with you in large measure even if not in every measure,” Romney tweeted earlier this year under the handle in response to Washington Post columnist Jennifer Rubin.

In another tweet, Romney also called out President Trump, writing, "John, agree on Trump's awful decision, but what could the Senate do to stop it?"

A third read, "Loyal to principle trumps loyalty to party or person, right Brit?"

We can't wait to see what Trump tweets about this.

Basically, Pierre Delecto is Romney's secret account where he anonymously 1) pretends to be another person who supports and defends Mitt Romney against critics online, and 2) where Mitt Romney posing as another anonymous person reveals his true Democrat / globalist / anti-Republican agenda, white as Mitt Romney in real life still pretends to be a loyal member of the Republican party.

There's a lot of funny Twitter-post one-liners at the link that I couldn't re-post here.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2022-11-11 4:52 PM

I just heard Harris Faulkner refer to Biden's quote about "Jim Eagle", and while I got the gist of it way back when Biden first said it, I thought I'd look it up.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/03/26/who-is-jim-eagle/

During a press conference on Thursday (March 25th), President Biden was asked his opinions on new Republican voting legislation.
The legislation proposes to tighten voting restrictions on mail-balloting and more in future elections in order to curb voting access, which could, in turn, hinder the Democrat’s control of Congress during the 2022 midterm elections.

In response to the new legislation, Biden said:
“I’m convinced that we’ll be able to stop this, because it is the most pernicious thing, this makes Jim Crow look like Jim Eagle.”
Biden’s bizarre quote has confused a lot of people who assumed that Jim Crow and Jim Eagle were two people. However, this isn’t the case.

Jim Eagle isn’t actually a real person. Joe Biden made up the name as a play on words, using different bird species to get his point across.
A crow is a small bird, whereas an eagle is far bigger and more dangerous.

What Biden was trying to say is that what the Republicans are trying to do with their voting legislation is huge, and far worse than that of the pre-Civil Rights Jim Crow era.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2023-05-29 3:38 PM

The British military term, "Leftenant" , for an officer of Lieutenant grade.

I just watched the movie "Where Eagles Dare", starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, and they seemingly used the word about a billion times.
So I looked it up, where multiple people explained the term :

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-19576,00.html

I liked the one guy's explanation:

The Brits are weird.

Basically, it's the same term for that military rank that existed for roughly a thousand years, but the letters and pronounciation have changed over the centuries. But some (or maybe many) in the British military still pronounce it as it originally was, or some approximation of it.
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2023-09-05 5:43 PM

I just saw a press conference with national security advisor Jake Sullivan, where he discussed diplomatic alliance with the African Union as a move that "will strengthen the G-20".

"African Union"? I never even heard of it till now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Union

It's basically a regional alliance of Aftrican nations, comparable to the Organization of American States in the Western Hemisphere.

I was particularly amused by this portion :

The historical foundations of the African Union originated in the First Congress of Independence African States, held in Accra, Ghana, from 15 to 22 April 1958. The conference aimed at forming the Africa Day, to mark the liberation movement each year concerning the willingness of the African people to free themselves from foreign dictatorship, as well as subsequent attempts to unite Africa, including the Organisation of African Unity (OAU), which was established on 25 May 1963, and the African Economic Community in 1981.[12] Critics argued that the OAU in particular did little to protect the rights and liberties of African citizens from their own political leaders, often dubbing it the "Dictators' Club".[13]

Ah yes, respected allies, that will strengthen the G-20, to be sure !
Posted By: Wonder Boy Re: Trendy/hip political buzz-words - 2023-09-17 6:33 AM

Middebrow

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middlebrow

The term middlebrow describes middlebrow art, which is easily accessible art, usually popular literature, and middlebrow people who use the arts to acquire the social capital of "culture and class" and thus a good reputation. First used in the British satire magazine Punch in 1925, the term middlebrow is the intellectual, intermediary brow between the highbrow and the lowbrow forms of culture; the terms highbrow and lowbrow are borrowed from the pseudoscience of phrenology.

and

CONTEMPORARY MIDDLEBROW

Slate Magazine suggests that the late 2000s and early 2010s could potentially be considered the "golden age of middlebrow art"—pointing to television shows Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos and The Wire and novels Freedom, The Marriage Plot and A Visit from the Goon Squad. Slate also defines the films of Aaron Sorkin as middlebrow.[20] Some argue that Slate itself is middlebrow journalism.[21]

In a March 2012 article for Jewish Ideas Daily, Peodair Leihy described the work of poet and songwriter Leonard Cohen as "a kind of pop—upper-middle-brow to lower-high-brow, to be sure, but pop nonetheless."[22] This aesthetic was further theorized in an essay from November that year for The American Scholar that saw William Deresiewicz propose the addition of "upper middle brow," a culture falling between masscult and midcult. He defined it as, "infinitely subtler than Midcult. It is post- rather than pre-ironic, its sentimentality hidden by a veil of cool. It is edgy, clever, knowing, stylish, and formally inventive."[23]

In The New Yorker, Macy Halford characterizes Harper's Magazine and The New Yorker itself as "often [being] viewed as prime examples of the middlebrow: both magazines are devoted to the high but also to making it accessible to many; to bringing ideas that might remain trapped in ivory towers and academic books, or in high-art (or film or theatre) scenes, into the pages of a relatively inexpensive periodical that can be bought at bookstores and newsstands across the country (and now on the Internet)." She also notes the internet's effect on the middlebrow debate: "Internet is forcing us to rethink (again) what "middlebrow" means: in an era when the highest is as accessible as the lowest—accessible in the sense that both are only a click away ... —we actually have to think anew about how to walk that middle line." Halford describes Wikipedia: "...Wiki is itself a kind of middlebrow product" and links to this middlebrow entry "because it actually provides a smart summary."[24]
© RKMBs