Print Thread
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts

Among the missing, one of my favorites of the 70's and 80's,
Mike Grell :

Grell first rose to fame when he took over SUPERBOY/LEGION from Dave Cockrum in 1974, and drew a fabulous run from 201-228, plus a special LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION Legion issue.

But my favorite work from Grell was his run on THE WARLORD (1975-1982). Especially the first 14 issues that he wrote, pencilled and inked himself. Some outstanding pages of comic art.

Then Grell went to Pacific Comics in 1981 and did his creator-owned series STARSLAYER for six issues (which was continued after at First Comics by Ostrander, Truman and others, after Grell left the book). Again, some of Grell's finest pages, particularly the first 2 issues.
( the last I saw, someone re-published this series on better paper, in a STARSLAYER:THE DIRECTOR'S CUT version, which I didn't like, mostly due to bizarre coloring.)

From 1983-1987 Grell did the outstanding JOHN SABLE FREELANCE series for 43 issues, a mixture of espionage, safari adventure, political commentary, detective stories, likeable down-to-earth characters and humor, and again, many beautiful art pages. particularly his double-page spreads and nature scenes.
A lot of commentary on the human experience, told with humor and a remarkable lack of pretentiousness.
But I did feel the art quality of the book declined quite a bit in the last year or two he was on the series.
Grell's attention was diverted to a new Green arrow limited series.

In 1987, Grell did the three issue GREEN ARROW: THE LONG BOW HUNTERS. Which features what is arguably his most precise and detailed art. But while many rave about this series, for me the writing was weak, and it was just too dark.

The last series by Grell I saw that really excited me was a series formatted like the BOW HUNTERS series, a three issue Eclipse series, JAMES BOND: PERMISSION TO DIE. A very engaing and fast-moving story, that was reminiscent of Grell's Jon SABLE series, that reads like a movie on paper.

Since then, I've seen a few reprises by Grell of his former characters, one for Image that read like Grell's version of Jim Lee's WILDCATS ( or more to the source, like another re-tread of X-MEN ).
Plus a few issues featuring THE CAT from JON SABLE FREELANCE.

Grell at his best (which is often)is a master visual storyteller, and paces his stories with scenes that tell the story completely visually, without dialogue.

But I wonder if there's anything I might have missed by Grell that's worth seeing, over the last 15 years or so.

Or more recent work by many of my other favorites from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Such as:

Arthur Adams.
Chris Bachalo.
Paul Smith.
Michael Kaluta.
Berni Wrightson.
Barry Windsor-Smith
Paul Gulacy
Jim Starlin
Len Wein
Marv Wolfman
Roy Thomas
Doug Moench
Tony Isabella
Joe Rubinstein
Michael Golden
Dick Giordano
Marshall Rogers
Paris Cullins
Stan Woch
Steve Bissette
John Tottleben
Rafael Kayanan
Scott Hampton
George Pratt
Jackson Guice
George Perez
Tony Salmons
Ann Nocenti
Bob Layton
Chuck Dixon
Pat Broderick
Armando Gil
Craig Russell
Richard Corben
Rich Buckler
D Bruce Berry
Mike Royer
Alex Nino
Nestor Redondo
E.R Cruz
Dennis O'Neil
Steve Ditko
Dick Ayers
Jerry Bingham
Ken Macklin
Lela Dowling
Cat Yronwode
Ken Steacy
Bill Sienkiewicz
Dan Day
David Day
Al Williamson
Mike Mignola

and so many others.

Gone but not forgotten, these are creators with work that has endured, and warrants a second look.

What does anyone know about the recent work of any of these folks?

And what are some of your favorite stories from these creators, that you think best represent them ?

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
Chris Bachalo is currently the artist on Uncanny X-Men.

Paul Smith recently penciled Kitty Pryde:Shadow & Flame mini-series.

Marshall Rogers did Batman:Dark Detective,which wrapped up a couple of months ago & I think a sequel is in the works.

Jackson Guice is currently doing a story arc of JLA Classified.

George Perez is doing covers for Infinite Crisis.

Chuck Dixon is writing G.I. Joe for Devils Due Press.

Craig Russell just did a Conan mini for Dark Horse.

Richard Corben did an issue of Solo for DC.

I think a lot of the others are more involved in behind-the-scenes work at DC & Marvel.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
1000+ posts
1000+ posts
I loved a lot the artwork of Marshall Rogers at the time of the Calculator back up serie and Detective Comics, in the seventies.

Then I saw artwork from him in the first Who's Who series, and it was very different from the previous work, very ligne clair ala Belgian and French comics (Tin Tin, to say just one).

How is his work these days?

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
If I recall correctly, Ann Nocenti was the one who wrote Poison Ivy & Batman: Cast Shadows.

Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Award-Winning Author
10000+ posts
Marv Wolfman will be writing Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins. Mike Mignola is still doing Hellboy if I'm not mistaken.

Knutreturns said: Spoken like the true Greatest RDCW Champ!

All hail King Snarf!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Hellboy's still going on???

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
OP Offline
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
Quote:

King Snarf said:
Marv Wolfman will be writing Infinite Crisis Secret Files and Origins. Mike Mignola is still doing Hellboy if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I recall reading that a new HELLBOY series by Mignola is due out soon. It's been about three years since Mignola has done a Hellboy story himself !

A lot of Hellboy stories by other creators in recent years, but not by Mignola himself. It's about time ! For me, any stories that don't have both Mignola story and Mignola art are apocryphal.
I have all five trades of collected Mignola stories.

Quote:

allan1 said:
Chris Bachalo is currently the artist on Uncanny X-Men.

Paul Smith recently penciled Kitty Pryde:Shadow & Flame mini-series.

Marshall Rogers did Batman:Dark Detective,which wrapped up a couple of months ago & I think a sequel is in the works.

Jackson Guice is currently doing a story arc of JLA Classified.

George Perez is doing covers for Infinite Crisis.

Chuck Dixon is writing G.I. Joe for Devils Due Press.

Craig Russell just did a Conan mini for Dark Horse.

Richard Corben did an issue of Solo for DC.

I think a lot of the others are more involved in behind-the-scenes work at DC & Marvel.

Thanks for your response, Allan.

My point with this topic is to discuss not only the most recent work of past creators, but also their best and most memorable work.
Which in some cases might be their most recent work !

Many of these you listed I wasn't aware of, some I was.

The six-issue Englehart/Rogers BATMAN: DARK DETECTIVE is one I purchased.
Good in parts, but I still by far prefer the earlier run they did, reprinted in the BATMAN: STRANGE APPARITIONS trade, at a very reasonable $ 12.95

The Paul Smith SHADOW & FLAME miniseries I was unaware of.
The last I saw Smith do was his excellent LEAVE IT TO CHANCE series.
One of my favorite Smith stories is back in season: BIZARRE ADVENTURES 34, a Christmas anthology, with "A Howard The Duck Christmas" by Smith, along with other stories.
I listed it in my Favorite Christmas Stories in Comics topic.

I also saw the CONAN series by Craig Russell you list.
My favorites by Craig Russell remain his AMAZING ADVENTURES/KILLRAVEN series (issues 27-39 ), and KILLRAVEN Marvel Graphic Novel, and ELRIC Marvel Graphic Novel.

I picked up Corben's one-shot SOLO book you list a few months ago, and he also did a CAGE miniseries with Azzarello, and a Hulk miniseries after that, which I believe was also with Azzarello.
Although I think Corben's best works were in his own collected DEN, NEVERWHERE, BLOODSTAR, MUTANT WORLD, TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS, and other graphic novels from the 70's and 80's.
Plus some great stories he did for TWISTED TALES and ALIEN WORLDS, circa 1981-1983.

The others you list were unknown to me, so thanks for your picks.

Quote:

Eurostar said:
I loved a lot the artwork of Marshall Rogers at the time of the Calculator back up series and Detective Comics, in the seventies.

How is his work these days?

I think Marshall Rogers is one of the artists from the 70's/80's era who is still doing art comparable in quality to when he first rose to fame.
As I said above, the stories you like (except for the calculater ones from DETECTIVE 466-468) are reprinted in the BATMAN: STRANGE APPARITIONS trade.

Another series I loved, by Roger Stern/Marshall Rogers was in DOCTOR STRANGE 48-53 in 1981-1982. A wild story with color overlays and sorcerous clashes across multiple dimensions, and travel back in time to the early days of Marvel ( FF # 19, to be precise) and to W W II, and a certain Sgt. You-know-who and his howling you-know-whats ! Very fun, very nostalgic, well written, and some of Rogers' best art.
Also check out the full color collected COYOTE (Eclipse Graphic novel) if you can find it (also by Englehart/Rogers, originally in ECLIPSE magazine 1-8, in b & w).
And also their earliest collaboration in MISTER MIRACLE 19-22, from 1977-1978

My favorite recent work by Rogers was a REALWORLDS: BATMAN story in a one-shot 48-page story back in 2001.

There are several others Rogers has done in recent years that I'm aware of, an elseworlds GREEN LANTERN one-shot set in the Victorian era, which didn't do much for me.
And a six-part story from an Archie Goodwin plot, in LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT if I recall, about two years ago. Both had nice art, but less impressive scripting.

Rogers also did some fun JUSTICE LEAGUE/JLI stories in the regular series, annuals and quarterlies, in the 1988-1992 period. Great work by all involved, not just the Rogers issues.

Quote:

Pariah said:
If I recall correctly, Ann Nocenti was the one who wrote Poison Ivy & Batman: Cast Shadows.

Thanks for the info. I remember Nocenti for her long run on DAREDEVIL following Miller's "Born Again" storyline. Starting with a great Fourth of July tribute story in DD 236.

As I recall, she was on the series for 6 or 8 years from that point, mostly with John Romita Jr and Al Williamson.

I don't know any other work by her, but I really enjoyed her writing style.

Link Copied to Clipboard