Print Thread
brother from another mother
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts

http://www.katu.com/news/business/Starbucks-says-guns-unwelcome-though-not-banned--224179901.html

Quote:

NEW YORK (AP) - Starbucks has always set itself apart by taking strong positions on progressive political issues. Now that reputation has landed the company in the middle of the heated national debate over gun laws.

On Thursday, the Seattle-based company will run full-page ads in major newspapers, telling customers that guns are no longer welcome in its cafes. But Starbucks is stopping short of an outright ban, exposing the fine line it needs to walk on a highly divisive issue.

"We are not pro-gun or anti-gun," CEO Howard Schultz said in an interview, noting that customers will still be served if they choose to a carry gun.

The move comes as the company finds itself at the center of a fight it didn't start. In recent months, gun control advocates have been pressuring Starbucks to ban firearms, while supporters of gun rights have celebrated the company's decision to defer to local laws. About a month ago, Starbucks shut down a store in Newtown, Conn., early to avoid a demonstration by gun rights advocates. They had planned to stage a "Starbucks Appreciation Day," bringing their firearms and turning the company into an unwitting supporter of gun rights.

Support for guns runs counter to the Starbucks image. The warm feeling Starbucks customers get when they're sipping lattes doesn't always come from the coffee. For some, part of the brand's attraction is the company's liberal-leaning support of issues such as gay marriage and environmental preservation.

But with more than $13 billion in annual revenue and about 7,000 company-owned stores across the country -in red states and blue - Starbucks is being forced to tread carefully with its special blend of politics and commerce.

Many states allow people to carry licensed guns in some way, but some businesses exercise their right to ban firearms. They can do so because their locations are considered private property. Starbucks isn't the only company that doesn't ban guns, but it has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its corporate image.

"This is a coffee company that has championed progressive issues," said Shannon Watts, founder of the gun reform group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. "They've positioned themselves about being about the human spirit - that was so at odds with this policy that allowed guns inside their stores."

Such stances explain why Moms Demand Action, which was founded the day after the mass shootings in Newtown, Conn., has been urging Starbucks to ban guns with its "Skip Starbucks Saturdays."

In turn, gun rights advocates have been galvanized by the company's decision to defer to local laws and staged the "Starbucks Appreciation Days."

Schultz said the events mischaracterized the company's stance on the issue and the demonstrations "have made our customers uncomfortable."

He said he hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.

The Seattle-based company plans to buy ad space in major national newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and USA Today to run an open letter from Schultz explaining the decision. The letter points to recent activities by both gun rights and gun control advocates at its stores, saying that it has been "thrust unwillingly" into the middle of the national debate over firearms.

As for the "Starbucks Appreciation Days" being staged by gun rights advocates, it stresses: "To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores."

But the letter notes that Starbucks is standing by its position that the matter should ultimately be left to lawmakers. Schultz also said he doesn't want to put workers in the position of having to confront armed customers by banning guns. The AP was provided a picture of a memo to Starbucks employees on Tuesday. The document instructs workers not to confront customers or ask them to leave solely for carrying a weapon.

Phillip Hofmeister, president of gun rights group Michigan Open Carry Inc., said he respects the right of private businesses such as Starbucks to determine its own gun policies. But he noted that the message was confusing.

"They're trying to make people like myself feel unwelcome but it's not an outright ban," said Hofmeister, who said he has been carrying a gun in public where permitted for the past several years.

Even if there's no ban, Hofmeister said he won't patronize a business where he didn't feel welcome.

Several companies do not allow firearms in their stores, including Peet's Coffee & Tea and Whole Foods. Representatives for those two companies said there haven't been any problems with enforcing their gun bans.

The man has politley asked people to not bring a gun to his coffee shop,SO DON'T BRING A GUN INTO HIS SHOP! Why does this have to be such a big deal for some people?

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Awesome. Boycott for srarbucks now.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Quote:
The man has politley asked people to not bring a gun to his coffee shop,SO DON'T BRING A GUN INTO HIS SHOP! Why does this have to be such a big deal for some people?

For the same reason gays have a hissy fit when somebody doesn't want to bake them a wedding cake I guess.

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
It looks like you guys are the ones having the hissy fit over a company just asking people not to bring their guns into their place of business. I doubt most gun owners actually feel their right to own a gun includes being able to carry them into other people's private homes and companies.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Speculating on a group's motives is hardly having a hissy fit, nor is pointing out the parallels between different groups of people upset over a private business allegedly discriminating against them.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Damn, I was going to rob a Starbucks. I guess if I can't bring my gun in I'll have to rob someplace else.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man
It looks like you guys are the ones having the hissy fit over a company just asking people not to bring their guns into their place of business. I doubt most gun owners actually feel their right to own a gun includes being able to carry them into other people's private homes and companies.

Private home? Not so much.

Company? Absolutely; you mean my concealed, holstered gun that I'm licensed to carry has no business being on me in a gas station, but a knife is okay? Let's not forget the improvised weapons (board, glass bottle, bat, wrench, hammer, etc) that can usually be found at most places.

With that out of the way, I think (speculate) that most of the events in question are in open-carry friendly states, whereas Texas is not. I don't see anything wrong with Starbucks being averse to having large crowds of patrons/demonstrators/whatever assembling in their store with guns hanging on their hips, but this Schultz guy seems kind of like a douche by publicly saying "he doesn't want to put workers in the position of having to confront armed customers by banning guns."
I mean. Most law-abiding gun owners who carry will know, if they're asked to take the gun out of an establishment, they ARE required to do so, or face possible trespassing charges.

Originally Posted By: Ultimate Jaburg53
Damn, I was going to rob a Starbucks. I guess if I can't bring my gun in I'll have to rob someplace else.

Basically. Just one more target-rich environment. I don't "boycott" places that don't allow weapons. Do I stop and think twice before entering? Well, sure; if Walmart, with all of its nutjob customers, decided to ban guns I'd probably not be too keen on going in there as much.

The area I'm in is sort of known for armed robberies and escalated incidents stemming from vandalism and break-ins. Usually, person gets caught, a confrontation ensues, the confrontation becomes physical, someone gets hurt. I prefer having a faster means of responding to assailants than verbal reassurance that police are on their way. Eventually.

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Wonder Boy

I prefer having a faster means of responding to assailants than verbal reassurance that police are on their way.

sexual assurance?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Matter-eater Man

In which case, if a business should have the right to refuse service to someone pursuing the legal practice of gun carrying/ownership. Then they should, furthermore, have the right to refuse service to anyone on whatever grounds they personally find relevant to their own moralities, yes?

Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Fair Play!
15000+ posts
Here's the problem with G-man's comparison. Starbuck's didn't refuse service to the gun nuts so there wasn't any discrimination. Your problem is you don't like that somebody politely asked customers not to bring their guns into their place of business. Not banned just a request.

Fair play!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Uh-huh. And if a cake maker politely requested that homosexual couples not walk into his or her store looking for wedding cakes for a same-sex unions, would you be as cool with that as you are with this?

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I can understand why a business would be a little leery of people with guns close to their cash registers full of money.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
That is understandable. But I gotta wonder if that's a symptom of a healthy amount of paranoia or simply of how anti-gun our society has become.

Once upon a time, decades ago prior to increased regulations, kids were carrying rifles to school for skeet shooting without anyone looking twice. Now we assume anyone handling a weapon--that doesn't work for the state--is going to kill us all.

It's pretty sad when you think about it.

15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
Thats because there are more mass shootings now. We have kids and adults shooting kids and adults. People are frightened.

"My friends have always been the best of me." -Doctor Who

"Well,whenever I'm confused,I just check my underwear. It holds most answers to life's questions." Abe Simpson

I can tell by the position of the sun in the sky, that is time for us to go. Until next time, I am Lothar of the Hill People!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I believe that, regardless of the shootings, people would still feel the same. The stigma towards weapons in American culture didn't start growing with the onset of shooting sprees.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Police-No-gunman-at-Bridgeport-Village-theater-224659561.html

Quote:
woman yells 'gun' in Bridgeport Village theater

TIGARD, Ore. – A woman who thought she heard the word “gun” in a Bridgeport Village theater shouted the word, causing a panic and businesses at the mall to go into lockdown Friday night, police said.

Police responded to the mall, but Tigard Police Department spokesman Jim Wolf said there was never a weapon.

A police officer at the scene said the woman, who has post-traumatic stress disorder, was watching the movie "Prisoners" when the incident happened.

The incident started when a man in his 70s urinated on a 14-year-old boy during the movie, sparking a confrontation between the boy's father and the man, police said. The woman, not aware of what was going on, then shouted "gun," setting off a panic inside the theater and causing moviegoers to flee.

"She was having an episode because of the movie and the emotion in the theater with the lights out," Lt. Erick Boothby said. "She seemed very confused and upset over the whole matter."

Boothby said the teen's father "took the older gentleman to the ground and held him there." That dust-up involved yelling and screaming, the spokesman said.

Most of the 100 patrons in one theater of the multiplex ran into the lobby and out the door after several people repeated the alarm, he said.

Businesses at the mall, including American Apparel, which is right next to the theater, went into lockdown.

Alcohol may have been a contributing factor in the man's decision to urinate on the boy, police said. No arrests were made.

Officers from other agencies were headed to the theater when it was determined to be a false alarm.

“This was a good dry run for a real theater shooting,” Wolf said.

How you doin'?
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: article from opening post
On Thursday, the Seattle-based company will run full-page ads in major newspapers, telling customers that guns are no longer welcome in its cafes. But Starbucks is stopping short of an outright ban, exposing the fine line it needs to walk on a highly divisive issue.

"We are not pro-gun or anti-gun," CEO Howard Schultz said in an interview, noting that customers will still be served if they choose to a carry gun.

The move comes as the company finds itself at the center of a fight it didn't start. In recent months, gun control advocates have been pressuring Starbucks to ban firearms, while supporters of gun rights have celebrated the company's decision to defer to local laws.

That's a remarkably pussy stance, that stands for nothing, and yet manages to piss everyone off in itas utter lack of clarity.

Not unlike Obama's "red line" in Syria.

brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
brutally Kamphausened
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Son of Mxy

I prefer having a faster means of responding to assailants than verbal reassurance that police are on their way.

sexual assurance?

I'm not offended or anything, but just curious: where did I say this?

I mean, if I said it I'd remember it... wouldn't I?

Maybe I said it, and then Superman made the earth spin in reverse and erased history, and this was some alternate future Wonder Boy.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
Wow! You are truly a master debater!

How you doin'?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
it was a suggestion. like, assure them sexually while waiting for the cops to come. I heard it works on Joey from Friends.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts
SoM,like most guys,makes assurances he can not keep.

old one eye
2500+ posts
old one eye
2500+ posts

Not unlike Obama's "red line" in Syria.

Wondie never missess a chance to make a remark about Oboma. He probably tries to pick up women ata bar by saying" Hey,baby, unlike Obama,I can deliver what I promise"

How you doin'?
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Online Content
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
IN THE ASS.

Link Copied to Clipboard