Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
Did anybody manage to snag a copy of this? Is it worth buying (especially if you're into Golden Age stuff?)

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Do you mean "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay" by Michael Chabon (author of the brilliant "Wonder Boys")?

I hear good things. It won a Pulitzer, so it's probably worth a look.

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
No, I'm talking about the Dark Horse comic book series based on "Kavalier & Clay," featuring characters like The Escapist & The Luna Moth. The first issue was supposed to come out on Wednesday, Dec. 17th, but none of the stores nearby had any copies. I want to try and track it down, but considering its price, I don't know if it's worth it.

"Well when I talk to people I don't have to worry about spelling." - wannabuyamonkey "If Schumacher’s last effort was the final nail in the coffin then Year One would’ve been the crazy guy who stormed the graveyard, dug up the coffin and put a bullet through the franchise’s corpse just to make sure." -- From a review of Darren Aronofsky & Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" script
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
There was a book called the Gaypist starring a car throwing character called Jack the Lil' Death that Bobo Comics put out years ago.....

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

No, I'm talking about the Dark Horse comic book series based on "Kavalier & Clay," featuring characters like The Escapist & The Luna Moth. The first issue was supposed to come out on Wednesday, Dec. 17th, but none of the stores nearby had any copies. I want to try and track it down, but considering its price, I don't know if it's worth it.

Really? That's interesting. How much is it?

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
as interesting as the Gaypist?

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
I'd take a look at these.

Pimping my site, again.

http://www.worldcomicbookreview.com

7500+ posts
7500+ posts
Quote:

as interesting as the Gaypist?

I don't think that's possible, sir.

2500+ posts
OP Offline
2500+ posts
$8.95 for 80 pages

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
The Gaypist is 20 Orca Island Pesos .....or free with every reach around....

living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
Cyril St. John?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

There was a book called the Gaypist starring a car throwing character called Jack the Lil' Death that Bobo Comics put out years ago.....

Id like to see a copy of that again!

too blessed to be stressed
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
Sadly with the release of the new more complicated Street Fighter , Jack has went into his parents basement and vowed to never come out until he masters it......the game i suppose...

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
Feh.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Our finest work.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
....although the artist went a little overboard on the Black Helicopters....

1 post
1 post
[censored]I[censored] [censored]got[censored] [censored]some[censored] [censored]info[censored] [censored]from[censored] [censored]a[censored] '[censored]first[censored] [censored]look[censored]' [censored]article[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]appeared[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]Entertainment[censored] [censored]Weekly[censored] [censored]waaaaay[censored] [censored]back[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]September[censored]. *[censored]Ahem[censored]* <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] /><[censored]i[censored]> <[censored]br[censored] />"[censored]There[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]life[censored] [censored]after[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]Pulitzer[censored] [censored]Prize[censored] -- [censored]in[censored] [censored]comic[censored] [censored]books[censored]. [censored]In[censored] [censored]December[censored], [censored]Michael[censored] [censored]Chabon[censored] [censored]debuts[censored] [censored]an[censored] [censored]80[censored]-[censored]page[censored] [censored]tale[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]Escapist[censored], [censored]the[censored] [censored]superhero[censored] [censored]created[censored] [censored]by[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]titular[censored] [censored]comics[censored] [censored]wunderkinder[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]Chabon[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]2000[censored] [censored]novel[censored] ''[censored]The[censored] [censored]Amazing[censored] [censored]Adventures[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]Kavalier[censored] &[censored]amp[censored]; [censored]Clay[censored].'' [censored]It[censored] [censored]gets[censored] [censored]more[censored] [censored]meta[censored]. [censored]The[censored] [censored]quarterly[censored] ([censored]written[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]part[censored] [censored]by[censored] [censored]Chabon[censored] [censored]and[censored] [censored]drawn[censored] [censored]by[censored] [censored]such[censored] [censored]pedigreed[censored] [censored]artists[censored] [censored]as[censored] ''[censored]Elektra[censored]'''[censored]s[censored] [censored]Bill[censored] [censored]Sienkiewicz[censored]) [censored]comes[censored] [censored]complete[censored] [censored]with[censored] [censored]a[censored] ''[censored]history[censored],'' [censored]from[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]Escapist[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]first[censored] [censored]appearance[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]1939[censored] [censored]to[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]present[censored]: ''[censored]There[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]point[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]the[censored] '[censored]60s[censored] [censored]where[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]character[censored] [censored]is[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]dispute[censored],'' [censored]says[censored] [censored]Chabon[censored], ''[censored]and[censored] [censored]ends[censored] [censored]up[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]hands[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]company[censored] [censored]that[censored] [censored]produces[censored] [censored]hair[censored]-[censored]care[censored] [censored]products[censored] [censored]for[censored] [censored]an[censored] [censored]African[censored]-[censored]American[censored] [censored]market[censored]." <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] />[censored]I[censored] [censored]also[censored] [censored]snagged[censored] [censored]an[censored] [censored]image[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]cover[censored]: <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]img[censored] [censored]src[censored]="[censored]http[censored]://[censored]www[censored].[censored]geocities[censored].[censored]com[censored]/[censored]nos4a2no9[censored]/[censored]Batman[censored]/[censored]escapistpreview[censored].[censored]jpg[censored]"> <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] /> <[censored]br[censored] />[censored]I[censored] [censored]adored[censored] '[censored]The[censored] [censored]Amazing[censored] [censored]Adventures[censored] [censored]of[censored] [censored]Kavalier[censored] [censored]and[censored] [censored]Clay[censored]', [censored]particularily[censored] [censored]the[censored] [censored]comic[censored]-[censored]book[censored] [censored]segments[censored], [censored]but[censored] [censored]I[censored] [censored]had[censored] [censored]no[censored] [censored]idea[censored] [censored]this[censored] [censored]was[censored] [censored]due[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]stores[censored] [censored]last[censored] [censored]week[censored]. [censored]And[censored] [censored]Dark[censored] [censored]Horse[censored] [censored]was[censored] [censored]publishing[censored] [censored]it[censored]? [censored]Goddam[censored] [censored]DC[censored]'[censored]s[censored] [censored]marketing[censored] [censored]department[censored]. [censored]Even[censored] [censored]at[censored] $[censored]8[censored].[censored]95[censored] ([censored]more[censored] [censored]like[censored] $[censored]11[censored].[censored]95[censored] [censored]here[censored] [censored]in[censored] [censored]Canada[censored]) [censored]I[censored] [censored]would[censored] [censored]have[censored] [censored]purchased[censored] [censored]this[censored]. *[censored]sigh[censored]*

Last edited by Nos4a2; 2003-12-28 4:39 PM.
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
There was this HUGE write up on the series in Thursaday's L.A. Times Calendar. http://www.calendarlive.com which surprised me a bit.

I'll try to look for it.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Quote:

December 25, 2003

BOOKS
His amazing adventure

By Susan Carpenter, Times Staff Writer

Batman, Spiderman and a slew of other tights-wearing superheroes have taken a flying leap from page to screen in recent years. But this week, in what may be a literary first, the superhero will jump from novel to comic book with "The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist," a quarterly comics anthology based on Michael Chabon's Pulitzer Prize winner, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay."

A master illusionist who performs amazing feats of magic, the Escapist character is the creation of Joe Kavalier and Sam Clay, the pair of comic book pioneers whose lives are chronicled in Chabon's novel.

The new anthology follows the masked do-gooder as he roams the globe aiding the oppressed.

"The idea behind the comic is that the rights to the Kavalier-and-Clay-created characters have been sold and transferred and lost time after time after time over the last 60 years. All kinds of variants and versions of the characters have existed depending on who controlled the rights, so there are all kinds of stories that can be told," said Chabon, who lives in Berkeley. "I was trying to give the artists and writers as much freedom within the limitations of the costumed superhero genre to tell whatever kind of a story they felt like telling."

Set in the '30s and '40s, the original text pits the redheaded superhero against Hitler and the Nazis, but the character is freed from time constraints in the new series, battling a corrupt U.S. senator in one story and an evil prison warden in another.

There are five stories in the anthology's debut, beginning with "The Passing of the Key," the original story penned by Chabon and inked by animator and illustrator Eric Wight. The remaining stories were written and drawn by comic book legend Howard Chaykin, who contributed to the series his first original story in seven years, and Kevin McCarthy, who is also overseeing the project.

Chabon, who is writing the screenplay for his 2001 novel, says he may write stories for future issues, too. "But that was sort of the role I wanted to have: To write when I had time, when something came to me. There was never the idea to have just me be writing all the stories."

The second anthology, due next spring, will again feature a rotating cast of contributors, but in addition to known names in the comics industry, it will begin to fold in writers who are entirely new to the genre. Author Glen David Gold is already on board, and future editions may include even more literary heavy hitters. According to Chabon, Dave "Staggering Genius" Eggers and Native American novelist Sherman Alexie have expressed interest.

"I'm trying to mix it up a bit," Chabon said. "I was interested in trying to involve writers … who have confessed to me that they are comic book fans and try to give them the opportunity to write for comics."

Fusing the comic book and film worlds has been a commercial success, but the commingling of comics and literature is a venture into the unknown. While forward thinking, it's a concept that may or may not succeed commercially.

"In general, folks that are well received in other areas don't always translate into comics unless they have a background. There's a certain sensibility that you need," said Bill Liebowitz, owner of Golden Apple Comics on Melrose.

That won't be a problem with Chabon, he said, because "he has comic book credibility. He has a following that even supersedes the comic book fans."

"The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" has been more than a steady seller at his store. "The more copies we bring in, the more we seem to sell," said Liebowitz, who's stocked the book since it was first published in 2001.

It was right around then that Chabon was approached to do a comic book takeoff — not only by Oregon-based Dark Horse but also by DC Comics, publisher of "Batman" and "Green Lantern."

"It wasn't something I really thought about," said Chabon, who decided to work with Dark Horse because they gave him more creative control. "I'm not generally in the frame of mind where I'm thinking, 'I know! I'll call a comic book company and do a project with them,' but as soon as I heard the idea, it sounded like a good one."

The Escapist

Author: Michael Chabon

Publisher: Dark Horse Comics

Sale date: Late January

Cost: $8.95

1 post
1 post
God damn it - why did it do this?

Visit The Last Arkham for comic news, reviews, images and fanfic.
living in 1962
15000+ posts
living in 1962
15000+ posts
The edit function's fucked up.

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
Quote:

Did anybody manage to snag a copy of this? Is it worth buying (especially if you're into Golden Age stuff?)

Link Copied to Clipboard