Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268139 2004-03-07 3:52 PM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
It's cool. Kind of hard, Lots of flippin around and asskickin. Getting my ass kicked too. But it's cool. Graphics are sweet. Buy it.

Words not violence, break the silence. Maybe.
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
For years I always thought it was Ninja Garden!

Still,wouldnt have surprised me with some of the dodgy translations back in the 80s like when the game that was sposed to be called Grand Prix Ciruit came over from Japan & was mistakenly translated as Grand Prix Circus!

Nöwheremän #268141 2004-03-07 11:37 PM
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
i loved the original on sega

The Leg Breakerer: Kung Fu Masta!!!
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
This game is hard. Don't know how many hours I put into it. They say that there 20 hours of playing but that doesn't include dying and trying to get it right. Demons and soldiers are moderately tough, but those Ninjas are a pain in the ass.

If Prince of Persia was ANYTHING like this, then I need to get it. This was just amazing.

If any of you have a chance to play it or have a friend who own it, try it out. I think, there is one cutscene that has to be seen to be believed.

Basically, it involves Ryu entering his clan's dojo, which is ablaze, and everyone is dead. He senses something is wrong. Well duh, things are on fire and people are dead. But it cuts to a woman who is facing something... bigger than her.

Ryu feels the urgency, and comes running throw the burning buildings. He arrives at the door of the main dojo to see the girl collapse (or die). Behind her, an eldery ninja's head rolls, and his headless body falls to the ground, leaking a pool of blood. Two giant metal legs stand over the body.

Ryu steels himself for what comes next. This guy, is the enemy. The controller shook when he stepped. He didn't have a face. ...Actually, he didn't have a head. Pure energy. Evil. I was like, "That is good." Storywise, I was impressed.

So, you need to see the cutscene

[img]http://www.xbox.com/assets/en-us/Flash/games/ninjagaiden/index.html[/img]

300+ posts
300+ posts
The NES versions were awesome - loved the storyline with Irene and all the melodrama. I think the 2nd was my favorite.

Any similarities to those, or is this something new?

KrazyXXXDJ #268144 2004-03-12 2:29 PM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
I honestly can't tell you. I never had an NES (Gasp). The story, so far as I have played, has Ryu starting at a waterfall and infiltrating a ninja training base at the top of a mountain. Seems his old mentor lives there or something. Guy is fucking BUFF. Course, you have to go through a lot of lil ninjas to face him. Learn the importance of blocking. That comes up big in this game. Block like I never blocked before. Somethings you simply cannot dodge.

Anyways, after facing your mentor, which was all just a big ole challenge. Kind of weird to me. Kill like 50 of his students, whip his ass, and then you sit down and talk. oookay. Lil ninja girl comes running in. She is apparently from DOA. I think 4 people, maybe 5 in this game will end up on next DOA game. Ryu for sure, ninja girl, maybe his mentor, Angela, and maybe a fiend.

Anyways, ninja girl says Ryu's village is burning. Mentor dude tells him to be careful. Teaches him some tricks *like many games, tricks and new techniques come along the way*. Ryu goes down to the village and faces a bunch of samurai dudes. It's the magic ones that pissed me off. Throwing energy blasts and then sneaking up to poke their sais in you. Again, I learned blocking is the only way to deal with those asses.
You learn a lot of new things, like running along walls, double flips, things that don't have names but look cool.

It comes down to battling a Giant Samurai on a horse, accompanied by the magic guys who can teleport anywhere. I hate that. Beating him opens up that awesome scene I mentioned earlier. The main enemy without a face. I think the guy is basically all energy inside of armor. It was a game, but I felt intimidated, kind of scared, definitely in awe.

Ryu... dies? But he lives. Wants revenge. Takes the first flight to Vigoor, which I guess, is like a wild version of Tibet. Goes on a blimp. Fights more weird dudes. Soldiers

Arrives in Vigoor, and faces soldiers, and ninjas. Blocking! Must block! These bastards have explosive shuriken. It hurts. Three of them or four at a time, slashing all at once? No turn taking... just slashing. Where is the honor? Ouchie.

Survive long enough, and you meet Angela. She is might bet a computer generated image, but she wears tight leather in all the right places and has large tits. Face is like a good Heather Graham. Acts about the same. Looking for her sister, who is apparently evil. You meet her sister later.

Game turns it up a notch. So far it was ninjas, samurai, and soldiers. Bats too. What do they all have in common? They were human, or animals. Now we suddenly face three fiends. Basically demons. Big boys too. After that, comes their big tentacled brother (who ate Angela). Don't worry, killing him means saving her.

So now it's demons. Can't get worse, right? wrong. I was in the monastery. What game is complete without a monastery? And I needed to do something. Don't know what. And it required killing things. Large wasps. That in turn led to the rise of zombies. 12 foot zombies. Slow, but strong. Not very handsome either. Great, now we have the undead.

Apparently, i got the holy grail somewhere, and I had to so something with it. I remember seeing an alter. So I put it there. Nothing else I could do. Then I realized why there was that giant (and I mean GIANT dinasaur skeleton) just lying around. Sucker might have been a good 200 feet + from head to tail, and when awakened, he was not very sociable.

Cut to the chase. Many kills later, I find Angela's Twin Sister. Only she doesn't look so hot anymore. For a picture of her, visit the official website for the game and look up fiends. This bitch is HARD.

In gaming, we look for the attacks on patterns of the enemy characters, trying to exploit weakness. You know, a tail or eye slit. I think this girl is vulnerable all over, but she is fast, and she has enough attacks to make me feel bad. Also, she is 12 feet tall. She gave me a serious case of whoopass.

To answer your question. THis is something different. But all three NES games are in Ninja Gaiden.

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
I played part of the intro level at an EB. Damn that game kicks ass! Having an X-Box may be sweet after all.

Jeremy #268146 2004-03-16 3:50 PM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
okay, I beat the bitch. Maybe she wasn't 12 feet tall. But she was more than 10. Hard. But the thing is, I would keep beginning the game over, thinking I missed something somewhere (like a health icon or something). I am a completionist. Not quite a cheater, but I want to make sure I get everything, and there are these golden scarabs you need to find. 50 of them. Get all 50, and you unlock Ninja Gaiden NES.

Anyways, after killing Hellbitch... wait, turns out I didn't kill her. The screen says the match ended without a victor. What the fuck did I just do then? I took giant marble columns up the ass for nothing? Eh....

Okay, the whole city is on alert. Army is after me. Then who were those soldiers I was fighting earlier? Not these guys. These guys have rocket launchers, machine guns with bayonetts and they generally don't like me. Lots of killing ensues.

Upgrades includes a slow warhammer. 20 Scarabs got me this giant 100 pound sword. Slow too.

Also a new bow. Which would be important later.

Infiltrating the base, I learned a few things. One, a tank is more powerful than a ninja. Two tanks, are a lot more powerful than a ninja. But Ryu is more than just a ninja. He got a wicked bow. beat the tanks, then took down an apache helicopter. Yay!

300+ posts
300+ posts
Kewl, thanks for the in-depth info. I'm going to pick this up at work tomorrow and see how it goes!

KrazyXXXDJ #268148 2004-03-20 6:00 AM
500+ posts
OP Offline
500+ posts
I just beat Doku, the nasty samurai guy. Bout 8 feet tall. As I suspected, this all has kind of a Star Wars theme. Nothing about Ryu's father yet. Only time he was mentioned was when it said he was going to go into mountains to meditate and leave the sword with his son. That was in the booklet and at the beginning of the story.

Basically, it is about swords getting stolen, not giving into hate, some almighty emperor, and other stuff. Gut tells me Ryu is going to have to fight his pop. Suppose if I look at a Faq, that would tell me the same thing.

This game offers reasons to play it again, some being new swords available, which was a similar reason people would go back and play Otogi. I really liked Otogi, but this is much better. Though, if what I saw about the sequel is true. Otoqi 2 is going to be amazing.

Link Copied to Clipboard