Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Quote:

Study: File-Sharing No Threat to Music Sales

Tue Mar 30, 8:59 AM ET

By David McGuire, washingtonpost.com Staff Writer

Internet music piracy has no negative effect on legitimate music sales, according to a study released today by two university researchers that contradicts the music industry's assertion that the illegal downloading of music online is taking a big bite out of its bottom line.

Songs that were heavily downloaded showed no measurable drop in sales, the researchers found after tracking sales of 680 albums over the course of 17 weeks in the second half of 2002. Matching that data with activity on the OpenNap file-sharing network, they concluded that file sharing actually increases CD sales for hot albums that sell more than 600,000 copies. For every 150 downloads of a song from those albums, sales increase by a copy, the researchers found.

"Consumption of music increases dramatically with the introduction of file sharing, but not everybody who likes to listen to music was a music customer before, so it's very important to separate the two," said Felix Oberholzer-Gee, an associate professor at Harvard Business School and one of the authors of the study.

Oberholzer-Gee and his colleague, University of North Carolina's Koleman Strumpf, also said that their "most pessimistic" statistical model showed that illegal file sharing would have accounted for only 2 million fewer compact discs sales in 2002, whereas CD sales declined by 139 million units between 2000 and 2002.

"From a statistical point of view, what this means is that there is no effect between downloading and sales," said Oberholzer-Gee.

For albums that fail to sell well, the Internet may contribute to declining sales. Oberholzer-Gee and Strumpf found that albums that sell to niche audiences suffer a "small negative effect" from Internet piracy.

The study stands in opposition to the recording industry's long-held assertion that the rise of illegal file sharing is a major cause of declining music sales over the past few years. In making its case, the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) (RIAA) points to data showing that CD sales fell from a high of more than $13.2 billion in 2000 to $11.2 billion in 2003 -- a period that matches the growth of various online music piracy services.

The RIAA has fought illegal music swapping by filing a raft of lawsuits against hundreds of individuals suspected of engaging in music piracy, as well as suits targeting companies like Kazaa and Grokster that make software or run Internet downloading services.

Wayne Rosso, president of the Madrid-based file-sharing company Optisoft, said he hoped the study would spur the RIAA to abandon litigation and look for ways to commercialize file sharing. "There's no question that there is a market there that could easily be commercialized and we have been trying for years to talk sense to these people and make them see that," he said. Rosso formerly ran the Grokster file-sharing service.

Eric Garland, chief executive of Big Champagne, an Atlanta company that tracks file-sharing activity, said the findings match what his company has observed about the effect of file sharing on music sales. Although the practice cannibalizes some sales, it may promote others by serving as a marketing tool, Garland said.

The RIAA questioned the conclusions reached by Oberholzer-Gee and Strumpf.

"Countless well respected groups and analysts, including Edison Research, Forrester, the University of Texas, among others, have all determined that illegal file sharing has adversely impacted the sales of CDs," RIAA spokeswoman Amy Weiss said.

Weiss cited a survey conducted by Houston-based Voter Consumer Research that found those who illegally download more music from the Internet buy less from legitimate outlets. Of respondents ages 18-24 who download, 33 percent said they bought less music than in the past year while 21 percent bought more. Of those ages 25-34, the survey found 25 percent bought less and 17 percent bought more, Weiss said.

Larry Rosin, the president of Somerville, N.J.-based Edison Media Research, said it was absurd to suggest that the Internet and file sharing have not had a profound effect on the music industry.

"Anybody who says that the Internet has not affected sales is just not paying attention to what is going on out there," he said. "It's had an effect on everything else in life, why wouldn't it have an effect on this?"

Edison Media Research has done a series of surveys for a music industry trade publication to track the effect of online file sharing on music sales. Rosin said while file-sharing networks can generate advertising value for some CDs, the net effect of file sharing on music sales has been negative.

The Harvard-UNC study is not the first to take aim at the assertion that online music piracy is the leading factor hurting music sales. In two studies conducted in 1999 and 2002, Jupiter Research analyst Aram Sinnreich found that persons who downloaded music illegally from the Internet were also active purchasers of music from legitimate sources.

"While some people seemed to buy less after file sharing, more people seemed to buy more," Sinnreich said. "It was more likely to increase somebody's purchasing habits."

The 2002 Jupiter study showed that people who traded files for more than six months were 75 percent more likely than average online music fans to spend more money on music.

Sinnreich, no longer with Jupiter, has appeared in court as an expert witness on behalf of Grokster, a popular music downloading site that was sued by the recording industry for facilitating music piracy. In that case, a judge ruled that Grokster and several other services that distribute peer-to-peer software could not be shut down just because the software was used to violate intellectual property rights.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

whomod said:

"Consumption of music increases dramatically with the introduction of file sharing, but not everybody who likes to listen to music was a music customer before, so it's very important to separate the two," said Felix Oberholzer-Gee, an associate professor at Harvard Business School and one of the authors of the study.

This is the category I fall into.

I've never been big on buying music. This is true now; this was true long before Napster. Nine times out of ten, when I listen to a group's newest album, I'll find that the new song I enjoy catching on the airwaves is sandwiched somewhere between a dozen or so songs I can't stand. Rarely do I find an album I like in its entirety (or even an album with palatable songs in the majority). So I'll ACTUALLY buy one or two albums a year at most, sometimes skipping a year altogether.

Now I use file sharing to preview an entire album. If I like the album (and not just that one song) I'll buy it. Still, that's rare, but the important point is that my music buying hasn't gone down. If anything, it has actually gone up since I can preview albums with greater ease.

More people out there are like me, I suspect, than the RIAA is willing to admit.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
No one I know downloads to avoid buying CDs. Most download tracks they want but wouldn't buy, which I don't count as a lost sale. I've bought several albulms on the back of downloads. Tat said, I've never had qualms about borrowing and copying CDs from friends, but I'm sure I could think of some half arsed justification for that if I had too.

Since the record companies continue to make sodding big profits, I can't really take their bitching seriously.

At the same time that a lot of rich bastards are moaning about lost money, George Michael said he's planning to just distribute his future work free from his website, with an option to donate to charity (which I hope people will do, cos it's a nice touch) on the grounds that he's bloody loaded and doesn't need the extra cash. He also said this wasn't some anti capitalist thing, he's fine with capitalism, he's just made a lot of money from his fans and doesn't need more. I can respect that sentiment.

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
that said its easy to say your gunna start giving you music away when you cant find anybody to buy it anymore.....

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
it's funny cuz its true!

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
whomod is currently using his powers for the forces of good.

i applaud thee.

giant picture
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Usually, I download music to get a sample of music so I can make a decision on whether or not I want to buy it.

If I like it enough, I'll pay for it. I'm too lazy to copy music from my computer onto a disc, anyway, so if I wanted it to be mobile I'd have to buy the CD.

Making music should be about making the fucking music, not about getting ridiculously wealthy. This ranks right up there with actors and athletes complaining about not being paid enough for me on the "shut the fuck up" meter.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
300+ posts
300+ posts
Seriously - who can pay $15 for ONE song or two they like on a crap album when it's taking $20 to fill your gas tank?

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
Being into indie, punk,Alternative, whatever it's called this week, I have always been sort of bewildered at the argument about there being only 1 good song on a CD. Considering that the strength of the bands I like are the fact that they have entire CD's of good songs worth listening to. That's sort of the point with these groups. I mean, do you think of singles with someone like The Pixies? Or do you think "Surfer Rosa" and "Doolittle"

If there is only 1 good song on your artists CD, then that is a good clue that they're a crap artist.

Still, I do download lots of music. Usually from bands that I've heard good things about but don't want to risk $15.00 to see if they're to my liking. More often than not though, if I download 3 songs and they happen to be strong tunes, then I go out and buy the CD. It's not really hard at the moment seeing as how Best Buy is really pushing new Indie music by selling new bands' CD's for as low as $6.00 (as was the case when I first heard about the Raveonettes). Now at $6.00, the bother of downloading is almost not worth it.

I did happen to lose a TON (about 20 GIGS and 4 years worth) of mp3 due to some stupid crash which happened just as I erased my backup hard drive (to convert it to NTFS), and was about a day away from buring them from my primary drive on to storage DVD's. I'm still in a state of shock over that one. It happened to be the 1 time that my wife actually sat behind the comp (something she NEVER does!!! ) So now I'm not really in this whole debate about illegal mp3 as i don't fucking have any!

Last edited by whomod; 2004-04-02 9:43 AM.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
LOL

That whole argument that it's hurting sales always made me laugh. Come on, before the internet, we had radio in which we all put a tape in and taped the songs we liked. So how is it that didn't hurt record sales back then? Heck, my oldest brother's been a DJ since he was 18 and so since I was 5, I've had access to his albums and at times I had a taped copy of them. But now that we live 50 miles away from each other, and I've been thinking about this for well over a year now, I'm going to look into buying my own copy of some of those very albums.

I fall into the I'm not sure I want to buy an entire album by a new artitst if I've only heard 1 song by them so file sharing would work well for me. BUT that's not to say I haven't done just that. Never downloaded music, due to old computers and dial up, but I'm sure if I had, I'd have probably found more albums that I liked enough to buy. Now granted, there are times where I just like 1 or 2 songs by a certain artist, and of course that song isn't on a compialation/vairous artist album, and spread out over a couple different albums, so then the question is, just how much do I like the song? Do I go and buy the album and wonder about the rest? Or What if I buy it and only like the 1 song?

I've had that happen where I bought an album thinking the rest was going to be up there with that one song only to find that that was the only song I liked. And it's worse for Christian music because there are no CD singles, if they even exist in the Christian industry, but an upside is the increasing number of various artist albums. I have a number of them that were under $5 and contain close to 20 songs, great stuff too. But my music buying days are slimmed down big time since I cancled my Sound and Spirit account. I didn't have the money to keep doing it, even though I rarely spent full price on anything and got a lot of cds for free, but these days I buy 1 or 2 on those rare times I buy anything since I'm paying full price for them. Course now that Best Buy is opening close to my house, I may buy more often, but I doubt it since most of what I buy is Christian and they don't have the greatest Christian section.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
One of the true visionaries of the music business is guy called Michael Nesmith .

Nesmith was the guy in the green ski cap on "the Monkees." He was the Monkee that could actually sing, write songs (he wrote the hits "Different Drum" for Linda Ronstadt and "Some of Shelly's Blues" for the "Nitty Gritty Dirt Band") and play his own instruments. His post-Monkees work, with the First National Band and others, is widely considered the beginning of the whole "country rock" or "alt country" movement (which still lives on in bands and artists like Wilco and Ryan Adams).

However, his most lasting contribution to music might be the fact that he saw the potential for combining video with music as a marketing tool. In the 1970s, Nesmith took the money he inherited from his mother (she invented Liquid Paper) and founded a video production and conception business that is considered the beginning of MTV.

Nesmith is, therefore, a guy that understands new technology and its application to music. And, typically, his ideas become industry standards a few years later.

Here's his take on file sharing:

With file sharing and all that implies, it is really a new dawn for people like me who are working in the media arts.

The traditional rules of distribution obviously don't apply anymore, and that affects everything from my side, including how I conceive a musical project. It used to be simple. A CD of fourteen or fifteen songs, bought at a store, take it home, play it, and there you are.

But now, the whole notion of a CD is tossed into a different frame, and the idea of a group of songs seems kind of odd in the new context of downloadable songs and file sharing. So it seems to me that going one song at a time, a little here, and a little there, makes more sense. I don't know where this will all go from here, but that's a different bridge, so to speak.

In other words, rather than rail about the reality of file sharing, Nesmith is looking at how utilize it to market his music.

If Nesmith realizes that the days of the CDs may be numbered, there's a good chance the rest of the industry will eventually also.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Come on, before the internet, we had radio in which we all put a tape in and taped the songs we liked.

Yeah, exactly. I remember waiting beside my radio, tape in hand, poised to slip it in and push record.

The fact is people will always find ways to "pirate" music. The best thing musicians can do is not insult their fans and somehow live with the fact that they might not be able to afford that 5th Bentley or that 3rd yacht.

MisterJLA is RACKing awesome.
1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Quote:

Animalman said:
Quote:

Batwoman said:
Come on, before the internet, we had radio in which we all put a tape in and taped the songs we liked.

Yeah, exactly. I remember waiting beside my radio, tape in hand, poised to slip it in and push record.

ROTFLOL I remember doing that! What makes that even funnier is the clowning around we were doing at church today and the classic early 80s music video effect we were doing in the booth, with the camera and music slides on the side boards. lol It finally hit me why that looked so familiar, the more the guy did it, it reminded me of the few early videos I've seen, where the extent of the 'special effects' was a fade in/out, maybe not even fading all the way. There was so much more with that joke, but you had to have been there for the rest.

It's a rented tux ok? I'm not going comando in another man's fatigues.

Link Copied to Clipboard