OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
all taken from www.narnia.com

Quote:

WALDEN MEDIA TO PRODUCE C.S. LEWIS'
"THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE"

First Live-Action Feature of Children's Classic To Be Faithful Adaptation

New York, NY ( December 6, 2001) - Walden Media has partnered with The C.S. Lewis Company to produce the first live-action feature adaptation of the best-selling children’s classic The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. Finding resonance between its educational mission and the book’s universal themes of truthfulness, loyalty and courage, Walden has optioned the seven-part fantasy series The Chronicles of Narnia, and intends to develop it into a franchise. The project will be overseen by Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, published in 1950, is the second and best-known novel in the seven-part Narnia series, which also includes The Magician’s Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair and The Last Battle. The Chronicles of Narnia series has established itself as a worldwide brand and is currently published by HarperCollins. As a child, born in Belfast, Ireland in 1898, Clive Staples Lewis was fascinated by the fairy tales, myths and ancient legends recounted to him by his Irish nurse. The image of a faun carrying parcels and an umbrella in a snowy wood came to him when he was sixteen. Many years later an evil queen and a magnificent lion joined the faun, and their story became The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. The book tells the story of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, who step through a magic wardrobe into Narnia, once the peaceful land of Talking Beasts, Dwarfs, Giants and Fauns, but now frozen into winter by the evil White Witch. Other Chronicles of Narnia followed and the final title, The Last Battle, was awarded the UK’s prestigious Carnegie Award. Lewis, who was also distinguished as a professor at Oxford and Cambridge, died on November 22, 1963.

Stated Gresham, “It has been our dream for many years not simply to make a live-action version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, but to do so while remaining faithful to the novel. We are delighted to make this film with Walden Media, which we are confident will create the adaptation that my stepfather would have wanted.”

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is one of the best-selling children’s novels of all time, full of richly detailed characters faced with choices that all of us, as human beings, must make in our own lives,” offered Cary Granat, co-founder and chief executive officer of Walden Media. “Through fantasy C.S. Lewis has held up a mirror to the lessons of the real world, and we are honored to partner with The C.S. Lewis Company to bring Narnia to life.”

About Walden Media

Founded by Cary Granat, former president of Miramax Films' Dimension label, and educator Michael Flaherty, Walden Media creates films, television shows, books and interactive media that inspire, engage, enlighten and entertain. Walden believes that quality entertainment is inherently educational and can capture the audience's imagination, rekindle curiosity and demonstrate the rewards of learning.

Walden Media is a subsidiary of The Anschutz Company. The Denver-based company is one of the largest privately owned and operated ventures in the U.S. Its affiliated companies are principally engaged in telecommunications and media, natural resources, transportation, real estate, sports and entertainment.

Media contacts:

Alison Lehrer, Walden Media
press@walden.com

Quote:

"SHREK" DIRECTOR ANDREW ADAMSON TO HELM "THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE" FOR WALDEN

New York, NY (July 31, 2002) - Walden Media has engaged highly acclaimed director Andrew Adamson, the visionary behind last year's box office smash and Academy-Award winner "Shrek," to helm the first live action feature film adaptation of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe." Adamson joins award-winning writer Ann Peacock ("A Lesson Before Dying"), who recently signed on to adapt the novel for the screenplay. Walden partnered with The C.S. Lewis Company last December to option the entire seven-part fantasy book series The Chronicles of Narnia, of which The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is best-known.

"As we've seen with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, bringing to the screen a literary fantasy classic, beloved by millions of readers, requires both a reverence for the original material and a rich imagination to create a realistic fictional world," offered Cary Granat, chief executive officer of Walden Media. "Andrew Adamson knows better than anyone how to create magic on-screen and tell a story which touches the heart of an audience. His expertise in visual effects, animation and live action will be critical to a fantasy work of this magnitude."

"Narnia was such a vivid and real world to me as a child, as it is to millions of other fans. I share Walden's excitement in giving those fans an epic theatrical experience worthy of their imaginations, and driving a new generation toward the works of C.S. Lewis," offered Adamson. "Making a film that crosses generations is a far easier task when the source material resonates such themes as truth, loyalty and belief in something greater than yourself."

Adamson achieved overnight acclaim with his first directing job on the DreamWorks animated fantasy "Shrek," featuring the vocal talents of Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy and Cameron Diaz. The film, which earned $470 million worldwide, was the first to win the new Academy Awards category Best Animated Feature, alongside a raft of other international awards and nominations. Adamson previously worked for PDI as visual effects supervisor for "Batman and Robin" and "Batman Forever" as well as "A Time To Kill," "Angels in the Outfield" and "Double Dragon." He also served as a visual effects artist on James Cameron's action hit "True Lies."

Peacock's adaptation of the beloved novel "A Lesson Before Dying," the story of a black man wrongly convicted of murder during the 1940s, earned her an Emmy Award (Outstanding Writing for A Miniseries Or Movie) and a Humanitas Prize. Her upcoming projects include "Country of My Skull," with John Boorman attached to direct and Sam Jackson, Juliette Binoche and Jon Voight to star; "On the Ropes" for director Brad Silberling; "Marines of Autumn" for Irwin Winkler; and "Star Time," with Joel Schumacher directing Will Smith.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, published in 1950, is the second and best-known novel in the seven-part Narnia series, which also includes The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the 'Dawn Treader', The Silver Chair and The Last Battle. The Chronicles of Narnia series has sold over 60 million copies and is currently published by HarperCollins. Clive Staples Lewis was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1898. As a child he was fascinated by the fairy tales, myths and ancient legends recounted to him by his Irish nurse. The image of a faun carrying parcels and an umbrella in a snowy wood came to him when he was sixteen. Many years later an evil queen and a magnificent lion joined the faun, and their story became The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe. The book tells the story of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy, separated from their parents in London during the German Air Raids of World War 2. They are sent to the country for safety and it is here that they step into the magic wardrobe and discover the mystical world of Narnia. C.S. Lewis, a distinguished professor of English, died in 1963 at his home in Oxford.

Quote:

THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS ENTERS INTO AGREEMENT WITH WALDEN MEDIA TO PRODUCE "THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE"

BURBANK, CA ( March 1, 2004) - The Walt Disney Studios has entered into an agreement with Walden Media to co-finance and distribute the long-awaited motion picture The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book published in C.S. Lewis' famed series, it was announced today (3/1) by Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, and Cary Granat, chief executive officer of Walden Media. The live-action film will be directed by Andrew Adamson (Shrek, Shrek 2) and is scheduled to be released Christmas, 2005, by Walt Disney Pictures. The agreement allows for the continuation of the partnership for future films in the series.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first in an exciting series of films in the making and based on the phenomenal bestselling novels, concerns a war between good and evil, pitting the magnificent lion Aslan against the forces of darkness in the magical world of Narnia. A White Witch has used her dark powers to keep Narnia in winter for 100 years, but it is foretold that four humans will be able to help Aslan break the spell. When the Pevensie siblings - Lucy, Susan, Edmund, and Peter - discover the magic of Narnia by entering the enchanted world through a wardrobe, the stage is set for a classic battle of epic proportions.

Commenting on the announcement, Cook said, "With an exciting and meaningful plot and well-drawn, emotional characters, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe has the potential to be just the start of an extraordinary series of films; the exceptional imagination present in the novels follows in the best Disney tradition. We're pleased to be partnered once again with Walden Media - I think this is just the kind of movie audiences are looking for, and we're thrilled to be able to bring it to the screen."

Cary Granat and Micheal Flaherty, co-founders of Walden Media, added, "Disney has been a great friend and partner, with our company, on Holes, Ghosts of the Abyss, and this summer's Around the World in 80 Days. The combination of C.S. Lewis' visionary Chronicles of Narnia with the incredible strength and uniqueness of the Walt Disney brand and organization makes this a true dream project for us. This is one of the most imaginative novels ever written, and to bring it to the screen requires a director of equal inventiveness, ingenuity, and spirit. Andrew Adamson is just the guy - he knows better than anyone how to create magic on-screen and tell a story that touches the audience's hearts. His expertise in visual effects, animation, and live-action will be critical to a fantasy work of this magnitude."

Adamson added, "The Chronicles of Narnia were an important part of my childhood just as they are to millions of fans around the world. I hope to bring to the screen a movie that is as real to the audience as Narnia was to me as a child. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe tells an epic story of great heart, of a family torn apart by a war in our world, who are united in their struggle to save the magical land of Narnia. It's been a long time dream of mine to bring these classic stories to a new generation of moviegoers and readers."

Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis, said, "Fans of the series have been waiting for generations for a film that faithfully adapts the Narnia books for the screen. Disney and Walden are a perfect match for the magical world that C.S. Lewis created, and we're as excited to see the movie as everyone else is."

A classic series of seven novels that have sold over 85 million copies worldwide, C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia began with the publication of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in 1950. Six more novels (including the prequel, The Magician's Nephew , and the sequels, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair and The Last Battle ) would follow in the next six years. The final title in the series, The Last Battle, was awarded the highest mark of excellence in children's literature, the prestigious Carnegie Award.

Diehard Lewis fans might complain that the movies are being made out of order -- but Lewis did write The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardobe before writing the 'first' book of Narnia, The Magician's Newphew. Considering The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has always been the best-known of the books, there's no shame in starting there. I liked A Horse and His Boy as well.

I was a little worried about Disney taking this project, but I've heard good things about some of the production team -- they did Holes and the upcomming Around the World in 80 Days. Add a little bit of 'Disney Magic' that made the PG-13 Pirates work so well, and this can actually be pulled off. The trick is -- will all the religious metaphors be retained?

I mean, no one complains nowadays about how Mary Poppins and Bedknobs and Broomsticks were soooooo different from the books.

"You're either lying or stupid."
"I'm stupid! I'm stupid!"
Megatron and Starscream
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I've never read much of Lewis' fiction outside of The Screwtape Letters, and even THAT is largely theological in nature. I also enjoyed Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain.

I've always been told I should read The Chronicles, but when I was a kid I made a mistake in reading them that I would later make with the Lord of the Rings books and a few other series... I started out of order. Haven't been able to pick them up since. Are they worth reading at 20 or should I wait 'til I have kids myself (MANY years from now)?

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
I didn't read all of them until I was nineteen. At least when you are older you can appriciate the metaphors in the book better. I recommend it. I think I shelled out twenty bucks to get a book with all the stories in it.

Megatron and Starscream
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:
I think I shelled out twenty bucks to get a book with all the stories in it.

Ironically enough, I recently did the same with The Lord of the Rings...

Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Brian Cox has been casted as the voice of Aslan the Lion. Most of us recognize him from X2, Troy, and The Ring. (He was also the funny Irish engineer Hogan in the Richard Sharpe series, and should have been in the entire series).

The rest of the cast is listed on www.imdb.com

Megatron and Starscream
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
SWEET!!!!! I Just hope they keep close to the semi-biblical lines of the stories and don't change everything. It has really cool special effects potential though

Kaz Offline
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:
Brian Cox has been casted as the voice of Aslan the Lion. Most of us recognize him from X2, Troy, and The Ring. (He was also the funny Irish engineer Hogan in the Richard Sharpe series, and should have been in the entire series).

The rest of the cast is listed on www.imdb.com

I remember him most fondly as Captain O'Hagan from Super Troopers, actually.

"I'll believe ya when me shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet."

Did you know he was the first actor to portray Hannibal Lector on the big screen?

FYI... there.

Kaz #299010 2004-12-22 3:50 AM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:

Did you know he was the first actor to portray Hannibal Lector on the big screen?

FYI... there.

That was such a good movie. He was also in 25th hour, another great movie that not that many people saw.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
500+ posts
500+ posts
Quote:

Cowgirl Jack said:
I didn't read all of them until I was nineteen. At least when you are older you can appriciate the metaphors in the book better. I recommend it. I think I shelled out twenty bucks to get a book with all the stories in it.

I read The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe at age 9. At the time, I wasn't aware of the theological overtones of the book. However, I immediately picked up on the themes of courage, friendship, etc.

Even at age 9, this book helped me understand some of the more important things in life.

Every kid should read these books.

Non

P.S. Chewy Walrus, the Screwtape Letters aren't just "theological" in nature. The very core of those books are based in the deepest roots of Christianity.

Non

I got soul but I'm not a soldier.
Kaz #299012 2004-12-22 5:44 PM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

Kaz said:

People tell me that movie's pretty funny. If it's on TV I'll probably check it out.

Quote:

Yeah, I watched part of that. Between The Ring and the Hannibal Stuff, the idea of him and Anthony Hopkins starring in anything together sounds scary.

Megatron and Starscream
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #299014 2005-02-17 10:13 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Its rumored that the trailer will be shown with Revenge of the Sith.

thedoctor #299015 2005-02-18 2:47 AM
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
OP Offline
Peacock Teaser
3000+ posts
Quote:

thedoctor said:
WETA F/X for the movie.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet...

By the way, I rented Caravaggio and watched it today. Weird movie with a few British actors and what-not. It also stars the lady who will be playing the White Witch, and in Caravaggio she looks like Queen Jadis, with the pale complexion and red hair. So I hope they keep her if/when they make the first book into a movie.

Megatron and Starscream
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts

rex #299017 2005-05-09 9:45 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
This site has 110 images from the trailer.

rex #299018 2005-05-10 1:06 AM
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
sweeeeet.

It's a dog eat dog world & I'm wearing milkbone underwear.

I can get you a toe.

1,999,999+ points.

Damn you and your lemonade!!

Booooooooooooooobs.
allan1 #299019 2005-05-10 2:28 AM
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!! Narnia rocks!

Living the dream
15000+ posts
Living the dream
15000+ posts
That preview was fantastic! But...why Disney? I hope they don't "PC" it up.

Jeremy #299021 2005-05-10 11:28 AM
300+ posts
300+ posts
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kaz said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People tell me that movie's pretty funny. If it's on TV I'll probably check it out.

I recommend that you go rent the movie immediately. It has been out long enough now that you can probably rent it for like a dollar. If it comes out on TV they will need to cut ALOT out of the film to make it censor friendly. Trust me it will be money well spent.... unless you don't like/watch R-rated movies.

I am a man with needs. Rack JLA!!!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Supertroopers is debuting on Comedy Central sometime this month. I've also seen it for less than ten dollars at some places. Its well worth getting the DVD.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Fox News

As Disney’s holiday blockbuster "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" roars into movie theaters on Friday, so does a lot of debate about the movie's Christian backstory and marketing.

After all, the book — a thinly veiled take on Jesus’ sacrifice and resurrection by C.S. Lewis, one of the 20th century’s foremost defenders of Christianity — comes nearly on the heels of "The Passion of the Christ," 2004's blood-drenched Mel Gibson film that proved deeply religious moviegoers could be a force to be reckoned with at the box office.

And Disney’s dual-track marketing scheme — selling the movie to both Christian and mainstream audiences — certainly means that the House of Mouse is taking the subgroup seriously.

But people connected with the film, experts and observers seem to agree that when it comes to the religious aspect of the movie, the lion that roared is really just a paper tiger — especially Disney, which risks its film becoming labeled a niche, “Christian” movie and losing the mainstream audience.

“I’m anxious for when people talk about how great the movie is,” Disney’s senior vice president of marketing, Dennis Rice, said. “It’s going to be one of the greatest movies of the year, and I’m dying for people to write about that because that’s far more exciting and relevant to people.”

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
John J. Miller is national political reporter for National Review. He gives his first impressions of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which reaches movie theaters this weekend:

Is it any good? Yes, the movie is very good — a solid piece of entertainment in its own right, and fans of C. S. Lewis will regard it as faithful to his book in every important respect. A few plot elements are dropped and several others are added, but each decision makes sense for a movie that's trying to tell a story in two hours.

What's new, pt. 1: In the book, Lewis says that the Pevensie kids "were sent away from London during the war because of the air-raids." That's why they wind up in a big house with a strange wardrobe. When Lewis wrote, the evacuations were fresh in many minds and he didn't need to say much else. That's not true today, and so the film adds some helpful historical context. The first image is of a German bomber as it flies over Britain.

What's new, pt. 2: Edmund is the bad egg, of course, and in the book there are indications of this even before he becomes a Turkish Delight junkie. The movie relies far more on Edmund's sibling rivalry with older brother Peter as a factor in his treachery, and far less on Turkish Delight.

What's new, pt. 3: There's a chase scene through a tunnel, an attempted crossing of an icy river, and an encounter with Father Christmas that initially reminded me of how the hobbits first came into contact with the ringwraiths in The Lord of the Rings — it's a sleight of hand, of course, but an effective treatment and not in the book. Also, after Father Christmas gives presents to the Pevensies and sleds off, Lucy turns to Susan and says, "Told you he was real!" It's a wonderful line — not in the book, but a clever addition that advances the book's theme of faith. Another new line comes from Tumnus, imprisoned in the witch's castle — he says something that recalls Braveheart.

What's new, pt. 4: J. R. R. Tolkien famously didn't like The Chronicles of Narnia. "It really won't do, you know," he told a friend. One of his main objections was the way in which Lewis mixed different mythological traditions into a Narnian stew. The moviemakers revel in this, fleshing out creatures described only briefly in the book and adding new ones entirely. This may have required their greatest feat of imagination. Think of it as multiculturalism, in the best sense of the word. Personally, I liked it. When I watch the movie again, one of my priorities will be to notice more of these details. Also, the climactic battle scene includes griffins that drop boulders on the witch's army — they are the mirror image of those German bombers at the start of the film.

What's new, pt. 5: We get our first glimpse of Aslan early on, in the fireplace of Tumnus's lair. In the book, we don't hear about Aslan until the Pevensies get to the beaver dam (and we don't see him until after that). The passage introducing him is one of the most memorable in the whole Chronicles ("None of the children knew who Aslan was any more than you do..."). It really can't be rendered on film and our moviemakers don't even attempt it here. That's a wise decision.

It's funny: The movie has a lot of humor — much more than the book, in fact. "You're a Daughter of Eve?" asks Tumnus when he meets Lucy. "My mom's name is Helen!" she replies. (Also new: In the books, we don't see the mother, as we do in the film, and Lewis never names her.) And I can't tell you how pleasant it was to sit through a film aimed largely at kids and not hear a single burp or fart joke.

The acting: The four actors who play the Pevensie kids are excellent, especially the girls. (But will they grow up too fast for Narnia sequels?) Tilda Swinton is brilliant as the White Witch; James McAvoy is outstanding as Tumnus. Kiran Shah, as the witch's dwarf sidekick, kept reminding me of Deep Roy as the Oompa Loompa in the recent Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake.

Cool tribute: In Professor Kirke's house, we overhear a news report on the radio. The voice belongs to Douglas Gresham, who is Lewis's stepson. It is a fitting family tribute to Lewis, who delivered radio addresses over the BBC during the Second World War. These were later collected as one of his most popular books, Mere Christianity.

The music: Not immediately memorable. And did they have to include a song by Alanis Morrisette? The last time I heard what she liked to do in movie theaters, I wanted to turn off the radio.

The credits: When the credits start to roll at the end of the movie, stay in your seats. There's a final scene worth watching.

Will your kids like it? The movie is rated PG, appropriately. A few scenes are meant to startle. There is combat and violence, much of it fast and loud. The film is by no means gory — we don't see the witch actually kill Aslan, for instance, though we do know exactly what she did with her knife. I took my entire brood to a screening last weekend. My eight-year-old boy, who has had the book read to him three times, said the other day, "it was so good, I can't stop thinking about it." My six-year-old daughter, who has had the book read to her twice, called it "perfect" as we were walking out of the theater, although later she added that she didn't like it when Aslan was killed. Of course, she's not supposed to like that part. It may be worth noting that the scene is like a Star Wars cantina set in the netherworld — full of scary monsters and vicious animals up to no good. A susceptible kid might suffer nightmares. My four-year-old son, who is a budding monster-movie aficionado, squirmed a lot during the film and said he wanted to go home. Later, he said he liked it, especially "when the lion roared really, really loud." In truth, he was probably too young for the movie, but only because he's kind of young for movies generally. The biggest problem was keeping him quiet, as it was during last summer's March of the Penguins.

The best part: We can hope, realistically, that the movie will inspire a whole new generation of children to devour The Chronicles of Narnia.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Re-read this story recently. Definitely seeing it this weekend.

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
I'm very happy that the movie-makers bought the rights for ALL books. I missed not seing all stories when the BBC series was on TV some years ago. Anyway I've read all books and I like them all.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
25+ posts
25+ posts
Saw the movie last night and LOVED it. Now, I have never read the books but I remember seeing the BBC version years ago. My friend Audrey said that the movie was very true to the book (she's got a thing for that although I don't always). I loved the wit and banter between the characters and the actors were all very well cast.

From ME.... DUH!
2500+ posts
2500+ posts
Having survived each and every one of the terrible BBC movies, I'm thrilled that there is finally an actual movie based on one of my favorite childhood books.

Reveling in the knowledge that Sammitch will never interrupt my nookie ever again. 112,000 RACK Points!
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
FUCK! I didn't stay until the very end!

He fixes the cable?
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The Sunday Times - Comment

There has for several days been a tremendous fluttering in the dovecotes of the liberal intelligentsia; this twittering and squawking has been caused by the dramatic appearance of Aslan, the Christ-like lion in CS Lewis’s children’s story The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; the multi-million-dollar Disney film of the book was released here last week to huge publicity.

Several prominent members of the commentariat have felt moved to express their contempt and indignation at something that will give huge pleasure to millions of children. If it were not so repressive and censorious, this would be comic.

The problem for liberal intellectuals is that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, like the whole Narnia series, is overtly Christian, for those that have ears to hear, and therefore religious propaganda and therefore a bad thing. Young minds might be perverted by this insidious stuff. The flames of this indignation have been fanned by the fact that the film has been eagerly taken up by the American Christian right.

To a child’s mind, however, the world of Narnia is a subtle, magical creation enhanced by his or her own imagination. I have never forgotten the intensity of the moment when I first read about Lucy going through the fur coats in the wardrobe out into the snow of Narnia, as if I were Lucy myself. I must have been exactly the right age and I was entranced. I could not understand why my agnostic mother was so dismissive of it.

Now as an adult I understand what she meant; like her I now think the Narnia stories crude, cobbled together in a clumsy pastiche and sometimes distasteful or sententious (a view to which Lewis’s Catholic friend, JRR Tolkien, was also inclined). I rather agree with some of Philip Pullman’s furious blasts against them. But then The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe seemed and was magical.

Children are surprisingly indifferent to quality and they are usually impervious to message as well. As a child I did not see that Aslan was Christ, or that he sacrificed himself for wicked Edmund, even though I had had a strong Christian education. Aslan might be Christ crucified in a doctrine you might dislike, in a religion you might reject, but at another obvious level he is just a magic lion in a fairy story.

Given all this, I cannot understand why there is so much antagonism to this film. Why should anyone mind about it one way or another? After all, Disney regularly produces a great deal that is infinitely worse, infinitely more manipulative, sentimental and saccharine. Nobody has to go and see it and most of those children who do will miss any evangelical point, given how ignorant children today are of basic Christian teaching.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
Loved this film! I read the books a million times as a kid, have just got a new copy to read them all again!

The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
The Swizzler....
6000+ posts
I liked it too but I still don't think the lion was big or magestic enough. He wasn't worshipped as Lord of All....he was seen more of a "friend." That's my only complaint though....the rest of the movie rocked

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The thing I find most interesting about this right now is that this film almost beat King Kong at the Xmas box office.

Given that Narnia's been out at least a week more than Kong, that's pretty amazing box office.

2000+ posts
2000+ posts
haven't seen Kong yet, but i would be surprised if i enjoy it as much as Narnia. Shoudl see it this week. I have a huge childhood connecton to Narnia so I was drawn right in!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
I want to fuck Tilda Swinton many times

fudge
4000+ posts
fudge
4000+ posts
I saw Narnia earlier today, good movie, damn good movie!

Racks be to MisterJLA
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

Ah, didn't remember that she was in Constantine. Thanks Son of Mxy for reminding me!

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Quote:

the G-man said:
The thing I find most interesting about this right now is that this film almost beat King Kong at the Xmas box office.

Given that Narnia's been out at least a week more than Kong, that's pretty amazing box office.

Correction: It did beat Kong at the box office.

The numbers are in for Tuesday's box-office take, and one thing is clear: Peter Jackson's "King Kong" has been clobbered.

The winner, now by a large margin, is Disney/Walden's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

"Kong" finished a solid second on Tuesday with $7,919,225. But "Narnia" ruled with $9,224,127. The two movies have been locked in a dead heat for the last two weeks, but it seems that "Narnia" has completely wedged "Kong" out of first place.

This can only be frustrating news for the folks at Universal. "Kong" cost $300 million, including marketing and promotion. At this rate, it will take a long time for the studio to recoup its expenses and see a profit.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

She looks like a boy in that movie.

Narnia was great, though. If I had kids, I'd definitely take them to see that movie.

The conscience of the rkmbs!
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Well, she is supposed to be sexless.

I don't read Hellblazer, so I'm not sure if that's actually a rule in the series, but the real belief is that angel's don't have sexes.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Oh yeah. And Narnia sucked!

Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Son of Anarchist
15000+ posts
Quote:

Wednesday said:
Quote:

Son of Mxy said:

She looks like a boy in that movie.

Egzactly the reason why I want to puck her!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard