Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
I'll come right out and say up front that I'm more of a bar guy. A nice place where you can sit down with your buds, knock back a few beers, and bullshit without having to scream over the music. The club scene really isn't my style, and I realized why last night.

While drinking my overpriced beer and having my senses numbed by horrible music, I began to notice the scene around me. People where doing what they called dancing. If sticking your thumb in the air while gyrating your hips is dancing, then I'm Fred A-fucking-staire. I noticed several people doing these repeatitive moves with no variation. I guess after looping music, looping "dance moves" was the next step. But then, the tempo and beat changed as another song came on (it had to be another song because current dance music just repeats over and over again for 5 minutes), and the people kept doing the same moves exactly as they had done before. They didn't change to fit the new beat and tempo. They just kept up the same robotic pace.
That's not dancing. Soulless bastards.

I can't forget to mention all the preppy white guys who think that they are G-dawgs down on the Westside with his homies. Newsflash: Not only do I think you look silly, but the black guy standing next to me is laughing at your sorry ass too.

Suddenly, a travisty of immense proportions transpired. Dance versions of Sweet Home Alabama and Back in Black were played. (There was another old 70's song that was also turned into a dance piece, but I hate the original song anyway and don't really care about it.) That's right. Skynard and AC/DC sampled, looped, rammed with a drum machine techno beat, and bastardized. That's when I realized what had happened, what had went wrong. Somewhere along the way, they forgot how to rock. All these people knew Skynard and AC/DC, but they couldn't remember the total rockitude of the songs as they were originally done. Instead, they had to tear it down to their electronic jizz level. In essence, they had not only forgotten how to rock, but were trying to kill rock itself.

If you look at the popculture of today, you'll see that I'm correct in my assumption. Bubble-gum pop, bubble-gum rap, bubble-gum punk, and bubble-gum metal. It's like the rock was surgically removed. It'll only be a matter of time before all the soul is taken out of music and the doctors declare rock offically dead.

Kids, thank your club scene.

500+ posts
500+ posts
actually, rock and roll died mid to late 80's(thats being kind, most say it happend in the 70's with disco). a brief glimmer of a pulse came back with nirvana, but flatlined when record companys signed too many me too bands. no, i'm not one of those old fogeys with a huge collection of 70's music,just someone who's stopped listning altogether, because coporations killed the rock star, not video, as it was just one tool of the coporations.

25+ posts
25+ posts
Rock is dead they say.......Long Live Rock!

I think you need to expand your horizons dsoley. There's plenty of good music being made, but your not gonna find it on corporate radio or video. List a few examples of what you do/did like & I can probably point you towards some good stuff.

4000+ posts
4000+ posts
What Doc said.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by dsoley:
actually, rock and roll died mid to late 80's(thats being kind, most say it happend in the 70's with disco). a brief glimmer of a pulse came back with nirvana, but flatlined when record companys signed too many me too bands. no, i'm not one of those old fogeys with a huge collection of 70's music,just someone who's stopped listning altogether, because coporations killed the rock star, not video, as it was just one tool of the coporations.

I can't totally agree with you there. Disco was a quick fad that couldn't even last a decade. Rock bands were still doing gigantic arena tours even during the height of disco. All it really did was create another niche audience.

As far as the 80's, you still had your U2's, Soundgardens, Guns & Roses, Princes, and the like who kept on rockin'. I'd even say that Grand Master Flash was rockin' it out with his cutting edge rap style. Even through all the crap that was pushed on us, there was still some rockin' & rollin' going on.

The downslide happened in the 90's. Rap had become popular and begun it's downward spiral into the pre-fab pop mold in the late 80's/early 90's. A lot of the bands still rocking began breaking up or changing their styles (Smashing Pumpkins went electric-sappy with Adore). Pearl Jam stopped making videos very early on (even though MTV replaying Jeremy every five minutes is what helped launch them into super-stardom with their first album). Metallica lost their goddamn minds and alienated fans more and more every time they spoke in public.

Personally, I think the rock scene returned to it's early days with many performers perferring smaller, more intimate venues and away from the media hype of videos and record releases. In it's absence, the dance scene emerged and took over. Electronica and techno leaked in from Europe and took the younger generation by storm. Raves started popping up all over the place. And good, ole fashioned drugs like pot and acid were replaced with X.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
The rock star is a corporate invention.

Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
OP Offline
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
True. True.

Banned from the DCMBs since 2002.
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
I used to do the club scene a lot. Was good fun. Best club I went to is called Kapaital, in Madrid. We danced with the under-18s US women's soccer team. Sme of them were babes, but my friend got slapped when he put his hand on a babe's hip.

Never got to Ibiza.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Around home we have clubs. I don't go to them. I don't dance unless properly intoxicated...thus no clubbing. There are a couple nice ones though that are fun. Around school there are better ones. Granted ya got your freshie chick dance clubs but hey, there are better. The ones I like are kind of a bar/club amalgamation. You have your dance floor off on one side spinning Bryan Adams remixes (bastardizing Everything I Do...BAH!) and on the other side are pool tables and a jukebox. The best part: the beer garden. It's outside, it's moderately quiet, it's a good time. Plus they have bean bag toss. Unless I go to Fridays or Hooters, that's my bar scene.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
nih.

i like the clubbing. i also think its funny how the place became a verb. no one goes "barring."

anywho... yeah, there's no neato dances out there. no twist. no charleston. nuthin. its all just sorta bouncing and grinding, which is fine by me.

and its not a place to hang with the guys. too loud and too much else going on. if you do happen to go with a buddy, for the love of god, do not dance with, or even near, each other. if you must, bring a yard stick and keep it between the two of you. you may stand at the bar in the club and look awkwardly at the dancers, but thats it.

really, its just another way to pick up girls. except they wear tighter and/or less clothing, and are easier to approach, since everyone is already dancing together. ignore the girls on the side. if they're not moving in here, they wont move at home.

Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Kamphausen:

if they're not moving in here, they wont move at home.

There's truth in them there words.

1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
1 Millionth Customer
10000+ posts
bars are great places to sit with a friend/friends and talk shit. Clubs are mainly when you're looking for pus...errr....love.

I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I'm just sayin'
10000+ posts
I dunno,Moe tried the club scene & it just became a refuge for the souless.Where's the heart dammit!!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Until recently I was a regular at a rock club in London,but its temporarily on hold!

The bar prices were pub prices not London club prices,so it was not an expensive night out!

It was different to the dance club scene as people could sit around a talk with great music and/or get up on the dance floor & air guitar or headbang like any rock/metaller should!

The music covered Led Zepp thru to Poison with the odd new band like Buckcherry or Fozzy thrown in for good measure (no Marilyn Manson,Limp Bizkit,Nirvana or Sum41).
Good old fashioned 70s & 80s rock!

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
quote:
nih.

i like the clubbing. i also think its funny how the place became a verb. no one goes "barring."

anywho... yeah, there's no neato dances out there. no twist. no charleston. nuthin. its all just sorta bouncing and grinding, which is fine by me.

and its not a place to hang with the guys. too loud and too much else going on. if you do happen to go with a buddy, for the love of god, do not dance with, or even near, each other. if you must, bring a yard stick and keep it between the two of you. you may stand at the bar in the club and look awkwardly at the dancers, but thats it.

really, its just another way to pick up girls. except they wear tighter and/or less clothing, and are easier to approach, since everyone is already dancing together. ignore the girls on the side. if they're not moving in here, they wont move at home.

Yeah. We used to go clubbing to meet girls. Most of my friends and I can dance, which helped. We even used to bring along token female friends in order to link us up with girls, and to demonstrate that we were the kind of nice sensitive guys who had female friends. Oh, and that we weren't gay.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
quote:
nih.

LOL

I think the bar equvilent would be bar hopping.

As for the subject on hand, I was never into the bar/club scene. In fact, I hated/hate going to clubs unless I'm with a group of guys. Keeps the guys in the places from hitting on me. The only club I frequented (and by frequented I mean I went there the most times, twice) was a place called Kaboom in Chicago. It had a bunch of differnt rooms, each playing a different style of music. We'd go spend a few minutes in the main dance room, then make our way to the alternative room where it was alternative music all the time. Next to that room was the disco room, the room my brother spun records in. I made the mistake one night, of telling one of the workers who I was/who my brother was, and he would not leave me alone the rest of the night, when I'd leave the alternative room. I'm not kidding you, I dreaded leaving the alternative room to get in line for the bathroom because I knew he'd come up to me and hit on me. ugh

But everyone know's the best clubs are the ones in Chicago. Don't even waste your time with the suburban ones. Granted I haven't been to a club in over 5 years so I don't know what they're like here now.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I've never been clubbing. The reason is because I prefer to chill out at a bar than have drunk and high people jumping around to bad techno rock remixes. Besides, all the "clubs"I know around here have more of a bar feel to them; nothing like you'd see on an E! special. We have one with live hard rock on the weekends, with wet t-shirt contests Sunday night. There's another one that gets live bands in. Kevin Bacon was just there the other day with his boys. I go to this little bar down the street where they have my beer ready for me before I sit down. When my beer dries up, they have another one at my table a.s.a.p. I gotta get up too early, and work too long. It may sound boring, but I prefer sitting down with a cold beer and bullshitting with my friends at the close of the day.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Stupid Dogg:
I go to this little bar down the street where they have my beer ready for me before I sit down. When my beer dries up, they have another one at my table a.s.a.p. I gotta get up too early, and work too long. It may sound boring, but I prefer sitting down with a cold beer and bullshitting with my friends at the close of the day.

Hey waaaaaaaaaaait a minute...

I just figured out who you are...

NORM!

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Online Content
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
lol! It does make sense!
 -

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
I hope Woody Harrelson kills you!

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
Batwoman, I used to go to Kaboom, back in college, too. I like going to bars and hanging out, but once in a while I like to go clubbing. Sometimes my self esteem needs a kick in the pants and going somewhere like Excalibur does it. If I go there I am guaranteed to get hit on, which may not be true in a bar. And sometimes I just have excess enery that dancing is the perfect cure for. I like the energy in a club. And the prospect of hooking up isn't so bad either! [wink]

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
Does that mean you're showin' up at Franty's?

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
You betcha!!!

some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut-EL:
Rock is dead they say.......Long Live Rock!

I think you need to expand your horizons dsoley. There's plenty of good music being made, but your not gonna find it on corporate radio or video. List a few examples of what you do/did like & I can probably point you towards some good stuff.

Thank you.

rock music has simply gone underground at the moment. If you're looking for actual rock and roll on MTV and radio, you may find it perhaps on such niche places such as Later with Jools Holland or TOTP occasionally on BBC America, Subterranean (and especialy Subterranean UK) on MTV, "morning Becomes Eclectic" or Rodney on the Rock on KCRW and KROQ respectively and a few other places here and there, notably http://www.xfm.co.uk and a few other internet radio stations.

It won't excatly bite u in the arse demanding your attention like Rap, faux R&B, Boy/girl bands, *koff*Alternative*koff, and nu-metal. But if you're open minded enough to get past the fact that it doesn't sound like anything else, the rewards are endless. Whats more, when you do find quality rock and roll, it isn't subject to dying out once the fad is over. I can still listen to my Pixies CD's or Stone Roses and they don't sound at all dated as with any "grunge" or hair metal bands music.

As for the dancing part of the initial post. I was at an R.E.M. gig about a decade ago. The stiff dorky white guys gyrating in the same repetitive motions you mentioned reminded me of that. To this day I can't hear R.E.M. and not recall the arena full of geeky bad dancers gyrating stiffly like boards, shaking their booties and biting their lower lip as they pointed with their fingers.

My own clubbing experiences have varied over the past 15-20 years from punk/goth clubs and retro 60's clubs in the 80's, to underground "acid house" warehouse parties at the start of the 90's to full flung 'raves' and "massives" later on to mod/britpop clubs in the mid 90's and now finally to retro 80's new wave clubs. I'm approaching that point in my life though where I am starting to look my age so if curtalied my clubbing substantially. If it wasn't for my wife's love of a particular club http://www.clubbang.net , I wouldn't go out clubbing at all. Concertgoing and festivals are good enough for me.

It's good for the abs and helps with sex if you are a regular dancer.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts
Oh, and i'm not really a bar guy. I used to have a g-freind who enjoyed hanging out at this horrible little "white trash" bar (her description and she would know about white trash) that played country music and had nothing to do there but play pool and pac man. We'd mainly hang out there because she was something of a Mickey
Rourke fan and liked Barfly plus the fact that we were only 19 and were allowed to drink there.

5000+ posts
5000+ posts

100+ posts
100+ posts
Ever see the 4th-season WKRP episode about the 'radio doctor" whose job was to sell his services as a programmer? EVERY station who was a customer would play the music HE picked, so they'd all sound the same, and there was no need for "real" DJs. That was the beginning of the end. Since then, the greedy old guys running the corporations have increased their STRANGLEHOLD until NOTHING gets played, NOTHING gets pushed-- and therefore, NOTHING sells-- unless THEY want it to, and only stuff they OWN and CONTROL completely is pushes. "Popular" is not because people like it-- "popular" is because that's ALL people ever get a chance to hear, and we all know, most people are lemmings who go along with the masses. (And they wonder why record sales continue to plummet, when all they put out is CRAP.)

"Real" rock-- the bands who can think for themselves, have actual talent, write, play & sing their own material, and are actually GOOD to listen to-- tend NOT to be signed / owned / controlled by the big labels. So the ONLY place to hear them is in BARS. I've been going to bars for almost 8 years now, and between them and online "specialty" music stores, have discovered HUNDREDS of bands doing stuff every bit as good as the best stuff I love from the 50's, 60's, 70's!!!

Just for my own tastes, check out...
THE BOOTY OLYMPICS
BEN VAUGHN
LOS STRAITJACKETS
MONDO TOPLESS
KENN KWEDER
SIT N' SPIN
THE BOSS MARTIANS
LONESOME BOB
STEREOPHONIC SPACE SOUND UNLIMITED
THE MEN FROM S.P.E.C.T.R.E.
CADILLAC HITMEN
THE SPACE COSSACKS
THE DIABOLIKS
CATFIGHT!
DASH RIP ROCK
JUMPIN' JUPITER
DANNY DEAN & THE HOMEWRECKERS
THE SICKIDZ
KEVIN JOHNSON & THE LINEMEN
THE CHAINS
THE KAISERS
THE NEANDERTHALS
DESTINATION: EARTH!

Oh yeah, and sometimes the "old guys" do manage to do stuff every bit as good or better than in the old days...

JOHN FOGERTY
BLUE OYSTER CULT

"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
"Hey this is PCG342's bro..."
15000+ posts
Why does this thread still have a graphic on the top of the page???

Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
Gothic Do-gooder
2500+ posts
I agree with most of ya. I go to the bar with my friends to hang out, burn off some steam after work, whatever. I go to clubs (very infrequently) to dance and get picked up on. The few times I've gone I usually end up dancing by myself. I go to dance. Last time I went I went with friends (both male and female) and that was fun. Danced with three guys at the same time (all the girls hated me) but had a ton of fun. But I wasn't on the prowl, just enjoying myself.

To have a lasting relationship from someone you meet in a bar or club...I just don't see it happeneing.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
But an internet message board romance is forever.

Link Copied to Clipboard