Print Thread
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
I liked Smoke and Mirrors. In my mind, it was a pretty generous sampling of the various styles that Gaiman is capable of - from horror to mystery to modern mythology to erotica. Gaiman is one of the twentieth century masters. When children sit in classrooms a hundred years from now, they will learn about Neil Gaiman...

I like Gaiman, for the most part - if for no other reason I will always consider him incredibly talented - one of the "twentieth century masters" as you put it - because of Sandman, but that said, Smoke and Mirrors just did nothing for me. If kids learn about him in your envisioned future it will be because of Sandman (and Death! Love her!) not because of Smoke and Mirrors or even American Gods...(which I liked)...

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Give him time. He's still young yet, as writers go. I'm sure he's got a magnum opus brewing somewhere in that head of his...

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
"Give him time"? C'mon Chewy! Look at what the man has already written! IMO, Sandman was his opus...

BTW: love the sig...

Dear, sweet Harley Kwink...I'm madly in love with you. Marry me! We can go to Canadia. Or Boston or something. It'll be grand...You know the cookies are a given. They are ALWAYS a given. You could dump me tomorrow and you'd still get the cookies. Boston..shit, wherever dyke weddings were legalized. And where better to rub their little piggie noses in how bad they suck than right on their doorstep? What are they gonna do? Be jealous of you? Stare furiously at your tah-tahs? Not willingly give you cookies, but instead begrudgingly give you their cookies? Woman, time to wake up to the powers you wield - Uschi

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said:

If kids learn about him in your envisioned future it will be because of Sandman...

Agreed. Sandman is one of the greatest stories ever written. Someday they will make a series of movies based on it, and they will suck because that's the way these things go.

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts

200+ posts
200+ posts
Quote:

Brian Jonopolus said:

This book was a must read for me. Even though I am not a teen girl, I have often experienced the pressures of balancing, school, work, family, friends, and normal problems that come along with being a teenager. Trying to squeeze in surviving the social jungle is a challenge in itself, but with Donna Dale Carnegie's HOW TO WIN FRIENDS & INFLUENCE PEOPLE FOR TEEN GIRLS, it totally doesn't have to be.

In How to Win Friends and Influence People for Teen Girls, Donna Dale Carnegie, daughter of the late motivational author and teacher Dale Carnegie, brings her father's time-tested, invaluable lessons to the newest generation of young women on their way to becoming savvy, self-assured friends and leaders.

The book offers concrete advice on teen topics such as peer pressure, gossip, and popularity.

Teen girls, and people who sometimes act like teen girls, will learn the most powerful ways to influence others, defuse arguments, admit mistakes, and make self-defining choices. The Carnegie techniques promote clear and constructive communication, praise rather than criticism, emotional sensitivity, tolerance, and a positive attitude -- important skills for every one to develop at an early age.

Of course, no book for teen girls would be complete without taking a look at how to maintain friendships with boys and deal with commitment issues and break-ups with boyfriends. Carnegie also provides solid advice for older teens beginning to explore their influence in the adult world, such as driving and handling college interviews.

Full of fun quizzes, "reality check" sections, and true-life examples, How to Win Friends and Influence People for Teen Girls offers every teenage girl candid, insightful, and timely advice on how to influence friends in a positive manner.

It's one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read. This is an easy read, and it changed my life in terms of my social interactions.

I really wish I had it back in middle school in high school so I could have had a lot more friends!

One Hundred Stars!!!!

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
"The Book of Philip José Farmer"

"Ironcastle" by J.H. Rosny, translated and retold by Philip José Farmer

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service" by Ian Fleming

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"Conan, what's the meaning of life?"
"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

"Fair enough. I defer to your expertise."
-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Just finished Gaiman's Anansi Boys and will probably pick up C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe in preparation for the movie this Christmas.

200+ posts
200+ posts
Read Patriot Games. So far its my favorite Tom Clancy book. It got a little far-fetched at some points, but over all it was a great book. next up is Red Rabbit.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
The DaVinci Code!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
I've finished "Lucky Starr and the big sun of Mercury" by Isaac Asimov and "Call for the dead" by John le Carré.

I currently read "You only live twice" by Ian Fleming and the P.J. Farmer books.

"Batman is only meaningful as an answer to a world which in its basics is chaotic and in the hands of the wrong people, where no justice can be found. I think it's very suitable to our perception of the world's condition today... Batman embodies the will to resist evil" -Frank Miller

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women!"
-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

"If I had a dime for every time Pariah was right about something I'd owe twenty cents."
-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Working on "The Glass Inferno" by Thomas Scortia and Frank M. Robinson.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
Just finished Gaiman's Anansi Boys and will probably pick up C.S. Lewis' The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe in preparation for the movie this Christmas.

I just re-read this last night on the way home - brings me back - great little story. I am very psyched for the movie. That, Goblet of Fire and Walk the Line are three movies I am actually excited to see this holiday season.

Also recently read A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. It's gotten great reviews, but I shoulda known it was going to be "meh" when it became an "Oprah's Book Club" pick. It's the story of one guy's six week stay at a detox center. Depressing. Ugh.

Anyone read Gaiman's Anansi Boys yet? Any reviews/opinions on it?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I read Anansi Boys. I really liked it, and would recommend it to anyone who thought that American Gods was too dense and involved. Anansi Boys is much more fun, dealing with the sons of Mr. Nancy - Fat Charlie (the normal one) and Spider (the godlike one) - after he dies at a karaoke bar... mid-song. There were several times when I couldn't help but laugh out loud. This book, due to the less serious nature (for the most part), was substantially shorter than American Gods - which should make Reax happy - making for an easy read. (I read it in three days and I'm widely known among my friends as a slow reader.) Good read... and not really a sequel of American Gods so much as a story inspired by one of its characters. I give it four of five icons of approval.

Loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I feel so very prepared for that movie now. There are a lot of movies coming out, or out already, that I wanna see (including that and Walk the Line... and Rent... and The Weather Man... and North Country... and a few that I probably don't even know that I wanna see yet)... but unfortunately, I don't have the funds to keep my theater-going streak alive.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

Chewy Walrus said:
I read Anansi Boys. I really liked it, and would recommend it to anyone who thought that American Gods was too dense and involved. Anansi Boys is much more fun, dealing with the sons of Mr. Nancy - Fat Charlie (the normal one) and Spider (the godlike one) - after he dies at a karaoke bar... mid-song. There were several times when I couldn't help but laugh out loud. This book, due to the less serious nature (for the most part), was substantially shorter than American Gods - which should make Reax happy - making for an easy read. (I read it in three days and I'm widely known among my friends as a slow reader.) Good read... and not really a sequel of American Gods so much as a story inspired by one of its characters. I give it four of five icons of approval.

Thanks for the review, I'll check this out.

Quote:

Loved The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I feel so very prepared for that movie now. There are a lot of movies coming out, or out already, that I wanna see (including that and Walk the Line... and Rent... and The Weather Man... and North Country... and a few that I probably don't even know that I wanna see yet)... but unfortunately, I don't have the funds to keep my theater-going streak alive.

I totally forgot about Rent. Here's the thing though, I saw the London production of this when Jesse Green was in it (apparently he's reprising his role in the movie - gahdamn the man can sing!) and the talent was fabulous, but I didn't love the show all that much - yet here I am kinda psyched and prepared to plunk down $10.50 to see it anyways. Maybe I'll like the movie version better - hell, that's what happened with Chicago...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
I've never seen the show, but it's one of the many that I've always wanted to see. The movie'll have to tide me over 'til the show comes through Indy. I'm also looking forward to The Producers - one of my favorite shows ever (after Sweeney Todd and Les Miserables).

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Have you ever seen Avenue Q? It's the funniest show I've ever seen on B'way and given that you're fresh outta college, you could relate to a lot of what the story's about - muppets and all...

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Airframe by Michael Crichton

Finished reading it yesterday. It was an ok book. Very forgetable though. Nothing really stood out about it. The twist at the end was predictable.

I'm going to read State of Fear next, I've heard some really good things about that one.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

harleykwin said:
Have you ever seen Avenue Q? It's the funniest show I've ever seen on B'way and given that you're fresh outta college, you could relate to a lot of what the story's about - muppets and all...

I've not seen it, but it's on my 'to see' list should I ever get to the New York area. I do own and love the soundtrack, though. Hilarious!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
"The Man With The Golden Gun" - Ian Fleming

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Insomnia by Stephen King. This title is completely appropriate considering it's 2:30 in the morning, I'm utterly exhausted and I still can't sleep!

I Am Groot
5000+ posts
I Am Groot
5000+ posts
Just finished Glass Inferno and started 1901.

I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
I've got more guns than you.
6000+ posts
Insomnia is an excellent book, 'kwin. I am reading Flowers for Algernon for the ump-teenth time, but I replaced "Charlie Gordon" with "Brian Jonopolus"...

"Ah good. Now I'm on the internet clearly saying I like tranny cleavage. This shouldn't get me harassed at all."
-- Lothar of the Hill People
cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
For Your Eyes Only - Ian Fleming

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
10000+ posts
10000+ posts
For British Eyes Only...

As for me, I'm currently reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
I'm hoping to read "A Midsummer Nights Dream" as soon as schools done for the semester. All I'm reading now is fucking text books.

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Quote:

Stupid Doog said:
I'm hoping to read "A Midsummer Nights Dream" as soon as schools done for the semester. All I'm reading now is fucking text books.

you need to read text books to learn about "fucking"?

Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
Doog the MIGHTY
10000+ posts
of course. we can't all be sexual fiends like you PJ's lol ;p

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Unbreakable
3000+ posts
Licence Renewed - John Gardner

-Conan the Barbarian

"Well, yeah."
-Jason E. Perkins

-Ultimate Jaburg53

-Prometheus

Rack MisterJLA!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'm reading Jurassic Park now.

I've gotten re-addicted to Michael Crichton.

cookie monster
7500+ posts
cookie monster
7500+ posts
Quote:

PCG342 said:
Insomnia is an excellent book, 'kwin.

This was strange, in the sense that it was one of the few King novels that I didn't enjoy... I felt like I was struggling to finish it, which is rare when I read King's stuff.

Just finished reading The Witch of Cologne by Tobsha Learner. The first 300 pages were awesome, dealing with a Jewish woman's attempts at surving the Inquisition. The the last 150 pages just dragged. It was as if Learner finished the story at page 300, but had some sort of page requirement to fulfill and kept going long after the story should have ended.

25+ posts
25+ posts
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

From ME.... DUH!
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Finished Jurassic Park last night. This might be Crichtons best book.
I'm gonna start The Lost World today, I haven't read it yet.

rex #314084 2005-12-25 12:02 PM
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I'm now reading the No Man's Land novel by Greg Rucka.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Still readin DaVinci code,but got a few more books added to the queue the other day:
Eddie Guerrero-Cheating death,stealing life
William Regal-Walking a golden mile

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Quote:

Nowhereman said:
Still readin DaVinci code

As am I. Personally, I don't think it's as good so far as Angels and Demons but I'll probably wait to pass final judgement 'til I finish it... maybe.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Angels and Demons was better. Except for the ending.

Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard