Your death will make me king!
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
"Jeopardy!" Mints a Millionaire
by Joal Ryan
Jul 14, 2004, 10:45 AM PT

One of these days, Ken Jennings will lose on Jeopardy!

We think.

The 30-year-old mild-mannered software developer notched his 30th consecutive win on Tueday's show, surpassing $1 million in Alex Trebek-anointed earnings.

To date, Jennings, who debuted on the quiz show June 2, has supplied more than 1,000 correct responses (framed in the form of a question), averaged more than $33,000 in each nightly conquest, twice pulled in $52,000 (tying the Jeopardy! single-day record) and amassed precisely $1,004,960 in not so trivial wealth.

He has blown past the previous Jeopardy! win streak, set last January by one Tom Walsh, who picked up $184,900 during a comparatively measly seven-show run.

Currently, Jennings is about $150,000 shy of Jeopardy!'s all-time earnings champ, Brad Rutter, who answered his way to $1.16 million in the 2002 tournament of champions.

On Tuesday's show, Jennings was his usual unflappable self, commanding the video board and making the competition a one-man affair--although one of his outmatched opponents did manage to briefly show off her knowledge of the Vandals, the roaming horde of the Middle Ages, not the punk band.

Per TVgameshows.net, Jennings was 43 for 46 in questions he attempted to answer (or answers he attempted to supply correct questions for). He ended the night with $32,000, after proving mortal and losing a $14,000 wager on the Final Jeopardy! question about New York Times headline sizes.

Jennings will look to make easy work of another two challengers Wednesday--his quiz master-in-residence status made possible by a rule change last fall that removed Jeopardy!'s heretofore five-show limit on winners.

According to TVgameshows.net, Jennings is only the third player in the history of TV game shows to score at least 30 wins. He'll need to score at least 13 more to tie Tic Tac Dough "legend" Thom McKee for the most wins ever, the site says. McKee logged his 43 glory days in 1980 opposite host Wink Martindale.

And Jennings will need to make like Joe DiMaggio and continue his win streak for another 36 shows, TVgameshows.net estimates, to top all-time game-show prize king Kevin Olmstead, who won $2.2 million on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? in 2002.

Since Jennings began his winning ways, ratings for the indefatigable Jeopardy!, now in its 20th season in nightly syndication, are up 28 percent, per the New York Times.

As Jennings was said to have remarked on one episode, "Being a nerd really pays off sometimes."

Indeed, on Monday, Jennings achieved iconic pop-culture status when he was tapped to present a Top Ten list on CBS' Late Show with David Letterman. The topic: "Top Ten Ways to Irritate Alex Trebek." (Number eight: "Buzz in without using your hands.")

If Jennings has the fame and the fortune, he has not yet copped the attitude. The Times says the devout Mormon from Salt Lake City, Utah, has vowed to tithe his game-show bounty.

Jennings first put his Trivial Pursuit skills to use as a member of Brigham Young University's College Bowl team in the 1990s. He currently edits literature questions for the National Academic Quiz Tournament.

And according to the Jeopardy! folks, Jennings is just a regular guy ("with a great personality") who enjoys nesting with his wife, young son and dog, Banjo, as well as acrylic painting.

He's also big on modesty.

Jennings recently told the Associated Press that he's not really doing anything special. Said Jennings: "A lot of it is just God-given memory that I can't take any credit for."

Last edited by Rob Kamphausen; 2004-12-01 5:36 AM.
200+ posts
200+ posts
I've caught some of those shows, the guy is a 24-karat weiner! No question this is one supersmart guy, blowing away his opponents most days. He just looks so wimpy, breaking a graham cracker in half would raise a sweat on him! He makes Niles on Frasier look like a tough guy.

Most days, his final totals are $30-40,000. When the weiner bets on final Jeopardy, he only bets around $10,000. The guy never goes for it and bets $25,000, he usually plays it safe. Well, he does look like a guy who wears suspenders on his underwear just in case the elastic is too weak. Hell, if he bet large, he's be setting daily records on that show every day, and he'd have another half mil, easy! The guy is exciting in a sleepy CPA kind of way. Perfect for Jeopardy.

It's looking like the only way to get this weiner off the show is for Alex Trebeck to cap his ass in the alley after the show.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Timelord. Drunkard.
15000+ posts
Whatever happened to the five day rule? I remember way back when, champions were only allowed to stay for five shows before they were taken off.

whomod said: I generally don't like it when people decide to play by the rules against people who don't play by the rules.
It tends to put you immediately at a disadvantage and IMO is a sign of true weakness.
This is true both in politics and on the internet."

Our Friendly Neighborhood Ray-man said: "no, the doctor's right. besides, he has seniority."
thedoctor #319169 2004-07-23 1:16 PM
15000+ posts
OP Offline
15000+ posts
They got rid of it about two years ago, probably to get final cash earnings closer to Millionaire.

Rob Offline
cobra kai
15000+ posts
cobra kai
15000+ posts
'Jeopardy!' Whiz Finally Meets His Match
By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

"Jeopardy" whiz Ken Jennings finally met his match after a 74-game run as a pop culture icon who made brainiacs cool, beaten by a woman whose own 8-year-old daughter asked for his autograph when they first met.

As someone who always has prepared his own tax returns, Jennings was tripped up in Final Jeopardy by this answer: Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year.

The correct reply: "What is H&R Block?" But Jennings guessed Federal Express, ending his remarkable run as the biggest winner in TV game show history with a haul of $2,520,700.

Having an accountant-friend who's nearly impossible to reach at tax time paid off big-time for his conqueror, California real estate agent Nancy Zerg, who ousted the baby-faced killer competitor in the episode airing Tuesday.

During his streak that began June 2, Jennings usually had opponents so thoroughly beaten that the Final Jeopardy question was meaningless to the outcome. But Zerg was within striking range at that point, with $10,000 to Jennings' $14,400.

The champion had to think; out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Zerg had quickly written her reply.

"I was pretty sure before the music ended that was the ballgame," he said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Her correct reply gave Zerg $14,001 to Jennings' $8,799.

Even before that, she had needed an unusual display of Jennings fallibility to stay in the game. He twice answered wrong on Daily Double questions, which give contestants a chance to make big wagers and increase their leads.

Maybe that's why he paused, ever so slightly, when asked in the AP interview Tuesday whether he had lost or been beaten. He then graciously gave Zerg credit.

"I would have dwelt on it if I missed something that I knew or didn't phrase it in the form of a question," said Jennings, a computer software engineer from Salt Lake City. "It was a big relief to me that I lost to someone who played a better game than me."

Zerg, a former actress who lives in Ventura, Calif., told the AP that she psyched herself up before the game by repeating to herself: "Someone's got to beat him sometime, it might as well be me."

Hanging out backstage with fellow contestants, she saw some Jennings opponents had essentially lost before the game. She heard one person say that it looked like he was playing for second, and another just wishing not to be humiliated.

"I heard another one say, `It's no great sin to lose to Ken Jennings,' and they went in and lost to Ken Jennings," she said. "I thought, `That's no way to play the game.'"

Some stats: Jennings' average daily haul was $34,063.51. He toyed with the previous daily record of $52,000 — tying it four times — before shattering it with a $75,000 win in Game 38. He gave more than 2,700 correct responses.

He combined an extraordinary breadth of knowledge, uncanny skill at sensing the precise instant to ring his buzzer, and a sharp competitive instinct hidden behind his grin and polite manner.

It made many of the games boring. But "Jeopardy!" executives aren't complaining; ratings were up 22 percent over the same period last time.

Jennings said he'd been thinking about walking away after some future milestone — 100 wins, perhaps, or $3 million or $4 million in winnings. He said there were about a dozen games where one reply made the difference between winning and losing.

"The fact that they had all fallen my way was beginning to worry me," he said, "because at some point the law of averages was going to kick in."

He wasn't prepared for how much he'd miss the daily competition, though.

"It didn't really hit me that was going to be the hard part," he said. "I thought the hard part would be the loss."

The loss is actually a distant memory and not really a secret: The show was taped in early September and news leaked right away. Video clips of his loss appeared Monday on the Internet.

Neither Jennings nor Zerg expect the record will be broken.

"It's not because things fell the right way," she said. "It's because he's that good."

Jennings, a Mormon, will donate 10 percent of his winnings to his church — and a European vacation is planned, "probably a really nice one." He'll hardly slip back into anonymity; he's visiting David Letterman and Regis Philbin this week, has a book deal and is open to any commercial sponsorship opportunities.

He's in a new tax bracket now, and H&R Block is making sure he'll always remember the company for other reasons: It has offered him free tax preparation for life.

giant picture
6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I wonder if he's gotten laid a lot thanks to his celebrity...

We all wear a green carnation.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
He's a strick mormon no probably no more than his five wifes.

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
I guess the Zerg invasion starts now.

200+ posts
200+ posts
I guess fans of TV weiners everywhere are very upset.

"Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat."
rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
http://ken-jennings.com/blog/dearjeopardy.html

Quote:

July 25, 2006

Dear Jeopardy!,

Hey, I hope you remember me. It’s been a while since we talked. We were a bit of an item a couple years back, in all the papers, but I think we both know that was just a summer thing. The last time we saw each other…well, the magic just wasn’t there. That’s why I don’t mind when I see you with a new special someone. Or two. Nearly every night! … I’m sorry, is this sounding passive-aggressive? I don’t mean to badger you. I remember that, when we were together, it seems like all I ever did was nag you with questions.

Let me start again. What I really wanted to talk to you about was your image. You’ve got a good twenty years on you now, and that’s Trebek-era alone. Times have changed since your debut, but when I watch you, it’s the same-old same-old: the same format, the same patter, the same fonts, the same everything as when I first crushed out on you in fourth grade. You’re like the Dorian Gray of syndication. You seem to think “change” means replacing a blue polyethylene backdrop with a slightly different shade of blue polyethylene backdrop every presidential election or so. Would you mind a few suggestions on how you might really freshen up your act a bit?

First up, the categories. Maybe when Art Fleming was alive, America just couldn’t get enough clues about “Botany” and “Ballet” and “The Renaissance,” but come on. Does every freaking category have to be some effete left-coast crap nobody’s heard of, like “Opera,” or, um, “U.S. History” or whatever? I mean, wake me up when you come up with something that middle America actually cares about. I think it would rule if, just one time, Alex had to read off a board like:

PlayStation

The Arby’s 5-for-$5.95 Value Menu

Reality TV

Men’s Magazines

Skanks from Reality TV Who Got Naked in Men’s Magazines

Potpourri

Second, the “Clue Crew.” See, this is what I’m talking about. You want to hip up the show, and Trebek’s not getting any younger, so why not have five attractive young people reading some of the clues instead? I’ll tell you why not: because they look like they beamed in from some 1970s PBS show. The van from Big Blue Marble got frozen in a glacier and suddenly here are these five wholesome, now-getting-creepily-old “youngsters” in 2006, driving around in a van solving mysteries and yammering on about Fort Sumter or the canals of freaking Venice. You know what would be awesome? Suddenly the Clue Crew is reporting from some dark forest. The “Brain Bus” or whatever ran out of gas and they’re looking wan and emaciated. Then, one show, one of them disappears (I’m thinking Jon, but we should discuss) and the other four are looking a little better-fed. The clues they read are now like, “This rugged, isolated forest stretches for miles somewhere in the eastern United States, with little game or fresh water.” And then she looks at the camera and adds, “No really! We don’t know where we are! Alex, for the love of God, send help!” Then the tape cuts out. It’s Blair Witch, only, unlike Blair Witch, it’s not a hoax. You really drive them out somewhere and leave them.

Third, that damn electric blue everywhere in your decor. Was that hip in 1984? Was that the only electronic-age color that Solid Gold wasn’t using in their set that season? Why do you want your show to remind me of my TV screen when there’s no tape in the VCR? Here’s what I’m seeing instead: bright fire-engine red behind all the clues. If you start to get viewer letters (median age of Jeopardy!’s viewership: 91) telling you that the new red clues “angry up the blood” then you have done well. If the same viewers are also outraged that Crankshaft has been replaced with The Boondocks, do not be alarmed. They have confused you with the comics page editor of their local newspaper.

Fourth, why are there no physical challenges? It doesn’t have to be Nickelodeon déclassé, buckets of green ooze falling from the ceiling. It could be tasteful and restrained. Like, if you know the answer, you have to run from your podium to the gameboard, jump up to touch the clue in question, and give the answer. “What is an Arby-Q?” Then you run back to your podium to select again. Some of these contestants, frankly, could use the exercise. Oh, also, there are angry bees.

Fifth, this might seem like a minor detail, but why the exclamation point in Jeopardy! ? It just seems like you’re trying too hard. Face it, it’s a sixties relic. Sure, all my parents’ favorite movies end with an exclamation point: Oliver! Hatari! Support Your Local Sheriff! But this is a subtler time. Do you really think that, today, Best Picture Oscars would have gone to Million Dollar Baby! and Crash! ? Certainly not. Change the punctuation and suddenly they look like Blake Edwards movies.

Finally, Alex. I know, I know, the old folks love him. Nobody knows he died in that fiery truck crash a few years back and was immediately replaced with the Trebektron 4000 (I see your engineers still can’t get the mustache right, by the way.) But that’s beside the point: “Alex” is the franchise. You can’t just bring in Ryan Seacrest without warning, more’s the pity. But I think a few little host tweaks would do a lot of good.

On Price Is Right, Bob Barker ends every show with a plug for his personal favorite cause. “Spay or neuter your pet!” or whatever. Something like this would humanize Trebek. I propose a new sign-off, along the lines of, “Can our returning champion do it again on tomorrow’s show? Tune in and find out, everybody. Legalize cannabis. Good night.”
You know how Trebek likes to read foreign words in these thick, strained accents, thinking he’s being muy auténtico? He should continue to do this, but instead of delivering them himself, he needs to have a little ventriloquist’s dummy with a sombrero to pipe in with those words. (The sombrero can be switched with a beret for French words.)
Whenever Alex says “Correct!” to a contestant, he should do the two-index-finger point, like Isaac in the Love Boat credits.
You and I have a lot of history, Jeopardy! You know I think the world of you…you’re putting my kids through college, for crying out loud! So I think I can be open with you in a way that others just can’t. I hope you take this advice in the spirit in which it was offered. Remember, I only criticize because I…

Love,

Ken

XOXOXO

Regenerated
15000+ posts
Regenerated
15000+ posts
LMAO!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard