Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
whomod Offline OP
some RKMB'ers are Obsessed with Black People Hmmm?
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
quote:
If you've watched "WKRP In Cincinnati" on the Comedy Network in Canada, or on TNN in the United States, or on the commercial videotapes released in 1998, then you may have noticed that some of the music has been changed. You may have also noticed some dialogue changes, as in one episode that now has a nonsense line ("Hold my order, terrible dresser") replacing a quote from Elton John's "Tiny Dancer." This page will try to explain what's happened to the music on "WKRP," and why. Originally, nearly all the music played on the show was real rock music by real artists, both in "WKRP"'s CBS run and in the subsequent syndicated reruns. But in the last few years, a new package of "WKRP" episodes has been distributed, and much of the music has been replaced by generic instrumental music from a music library, or by sound-alike "fake" songs. Also, some of the dialogue has been redubbed by voice impersonators, usually when the actors were speaking over the music, but sometimes to remove references to songs that have been replaced. Since these "redubbed" versions of "WKRP" first appeared, the questions that have most often been asked are:

1) Who did this?
2) Why was the music replaced?
3) How come some stations still show "WKRP" with the original music?
4) Which episodes have had songs replaced?

http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html

http://internettrash.com/users/blanchard/blackwoodchannel.html

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
5)Who cares?

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Lots of people who appreciate good comedy.

WKRP was one of the best written and acted sitcoms in history. And a big part of how well it worked was the way the worked actual rock music into the show (case in point: the Thanksgiving ep and Dr. Fever playing "It Came Out of the Sky" after the fateful news broadcast from the Turkey giveaway at the mall; the use of the Star Wars theme as Carlson's campaign music).

However, when the show was made, the producers apparently didn't license the music for sydication or video, forcing the eps to be, sometimes, drastically redubbed to remove the copyrighted music. Depending on the scene, this really hurt the flow of the show.

This isn't to say that WKRP still isn't better than 90% of everything ever produced for TV and it isn't to say that, if you never saw the show, you shouldn't check it out. But understand that, if at times the show doesn't make sense, this is why.

1500+ posts
1500+ posts
If it's ever going to be released on DVD, The music will have to be redubbed with generic shit.

However, that's costly, difficult work, and it wouldn't be worth the money shelled out. WKRP is basically a cult show now, so it wouldn't make back the production costs and redubbing costs, like, say, Felicity would.

Oh, and by the way... WKRP comes to TV Land starting Friday night. It'll be on during their Kitschen every friday and saturday night.

2 episodes a week are better'n none.

100+ posts
100+ posts
I noticed that. Geez...

Thank God I have all 90 episodes recorded on tape (either from CBS or my local station a few years later).

I wonder if anyone's thought about putting the 2 seasons of the revival into syndication ALONG WITH the 4 original years? Of all the old Tv shows revived years later, WKRP was the most uncannily accurate. From the word go, it felt as if the old show had only been off the air a week, instead of 9 years. Sure, most of the cast had changed, but the 3 mainstays (the characters you knew could never find jobs elsewhere-- Carlson, Herb & Les) were still there, and several others made return appearances.

Also, I got the strong impression by their casting choices that they wanted to try and make audiences FORGET about Loni Anderson! Between "Mona Loveland" (Tawni Kitaen) and the blonde receptionist who was CHASING HERB (I thought that was the funniest idea they came up with) the revival show had some INCREDIBLY gorgeous ladies on it.

I wonder how many noticed that "Jack" (the British DJ who was getting divorced) had appeared in the 1st season as a member of the punk band, SCUM OF THE EARTH ? (Hmm-- maybe it was supposed to be the same character!)

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Nowhereman:
5)Who cares?

I think Nowhereman was just trying to be mean to me. [nyah hah]  -

As with hoping for a DVD of the Live Aid concert, I truly doubt we'll EVER see WKRP as originally intended. Unless of course someone happens to either re-dub them on their own and then sell them illegally or else if someone transfers their old tapes of the show to mpeg/VCD or DVD and makes them available that way (again, illegally).

The greed of the music industry is to great to actually cater to music and classic TV fans.

I'm glad to see so many fans of that show here on these boards. WKRP was actually my introduction to rock and roll and to this day the show holds up although not as well as before when it actually had the music to complement the comedic revolution.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
As a kid I remember watching it in syndication, but didn't remember enough of it to think it was a great or classic show. I'll have to remember to check it out now, since I've heard the praise about it here and elsewhere. I saw the episode they aired Saturday, though, but it didn't interest me too much.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Cincinnati is spelled C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Cincinnati is spelled C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
I was living across the river from downtown Cincinnati and would often walk across the Suspension Bridge and scurry up to the WKRP studios and wait outside hoping to catch a glimpse of Loni Anderson's boobs or Andy's package. I stopped though on one fateful Thanksgiving morning when I was brutally attacked by a frozen turkey that fell from the sky like the wrath of God! Having learned my lesson I went on to become a Tom Cruise groupie when Rain Man began filming. To this day the stalking charges have yet to be proven in a court of law. Now I lay awake at night wondering when Jodie Foster will ever return to film another movie.

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
LLance, the turkeys were live. As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly...

--Jim

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by whomod:
quote:
Originally posted by Nowhereman:
5)Who cares?

I think Nowhereman was just trying to be mean to me. [nyah hah]  -

As with hoping for a DVD of the Live Aid concert, I truly doubt we'll EVER see WKRP as originally intended. Unless of course someone happens to either re-dub them on their own and then sell them illegally or else if someone transfers their old tapes of the show to mpeg/VCD or DVD and makes them available that way (again, illegally).

The greed of the music industry is to great to actually cater to music and classic TV fans.

I'm glad to see so many fans of that show here on these boards. WKRP was actually my introduction to rock and roll and to this day the show holds up although not as well as before when it actually had the music to complement the comedic revolution.

No,my point is,if the show is that good,who cares that the music is dubbed over.
Does it make the show any less funny?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
In certain cases, the music being dubbed HAS effected whether WKRP is funny or not. As noted previously, they used actual songs as part of the jokes sometimes. So replacing that actual music with dubbed generic stuff ruins the joke. And, therefore, the show is not as funny.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Anyone know who did the song for the end credits of the show?

WKRP: More Music and Les Nessman.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Here's what I found on the WKRP FAQ :

quote:
Q. What are the lyrics to the closing theme?

A. There are no lyrics. None. It's all just gibberish and nonsense words. Here's a fuller explanation, taken from Michael Kassel's "America's Favorite Radio Station" site:

Ever wonder what the words are to the closing theme of WKRP? Before you get excited about finding those long lost lyrics, the actual answer is -- there are none! Tom Chehak, a first season writer who was present at the Atlanta recording session of the theme, recalls how Tom Welles, theme writer, suggested to Chehak and Hugh Wilson a closing theme for the song. According to Chehak, the singer just started blarring out a bunch of nonsense words; if any of them were actual words, they're lost to history. Indeed, Chehak recalls how great they all thought it would be to leave fans guessing forever -- looks like they got their wish.

Q. Who wrote the closing theme? Who sings it?

A. The closing theme also has music by Tom Wells. The nonsense lyrics were probably mostly improvised by the singer. According to Steve Marshall at the Museum of Television and Radio's WKRP seminar (March 4, 1994), the singer of the closing theme was named Jimmy Ellis.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Oh, and Jennifer or Bailey?

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
Bailey.

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Yeah, I'm a Bailey person myself, but then again I like geeky-looking chicks with glasses, so for me it's Bailey and Mrs. Kotter.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Bailey was clearly smokin' hot under that "Annie Hall" style get-up.

I still remember her on one of those "Battle of the Network Stars" specials in the late 70s in the swimming event. I would say, if anything, she had an even better body than Loni Anderson.

500+ posts
500+ posts
Bailey.

He tastes of America
15000+ posts
He tastes of America
15000+ posts
MaryAnne!

No, wait! Chrissy Snow!

No, wait! Punky Brewster!

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Thought I'd bump this up as I just read Gordon Jump died.

whomod Offline OP
5000+ posts
OP Offline
5000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Snapman:
Thought I'd bump this up as I just read Gordon Jump died.

'WKRP' Actor Dead At 71

Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
God as my witness I though Turkeys could fly

25+ posts
25+ posts
Gordon Jump is dead.

Who will try to molest Gary Coleman now?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Superfastknow-it-all Man:
Gordon Jump is dead.

Who will try to molest Gary Coleman now?

Schwarzenegger (in the polls, anyway).

Heck, someone wrote on the Jump the Shark site that that Diff'rent Strokes episode probably killed his career.

25+ posts
25+ posts
I wouldn't doubt it.

I mean, he was real fucking convincing. And shit like that will stereotype an actor. See: Buddy Ebsen, Fred Gwynne, Adam West...

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by the G-man:
Bailey was clearly smokin' hot under that "Annie Hall" style get-up.

I still remember her on one of those "Battle of the Network Stars" specials in the late 70s in the swimming event. I would say, if anything, she had an even better body than Loni Anderson.

OH MAMA!

Link Copied to Clipboard