Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Educator to comprehension impaired (JLA, that is you)
50000+ posts
50000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Animalman:
You'll have to elaborate on how I'm "defending his right".

youve spent this entire thread defending his right to receive an award, have you been reading your posts?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Nowhereman:
Err they maybe I just imagined you saying

"No. Does it make him right in what he did? No. However, it also doesn't make him an evil person."

Nope I was right,go back & check your post on page 1.

If you are gonna defend a dirty bastard rapist,at least try not to contradict yourself!

That doesn't contradict what I said. I never said he was or wasn't an evil person, I just said that what he did doesn't necessarily make him an evil person. Again, I'm not passing judgement on the guy personally(as you are in referring to him as a "dirty bastard"). I'm neutral.

quote:
Can I just point out that more than likely the reason she has "forgiven" him is part of the healing process to heal her scarred psyche.

Psychiatrists will probably have persuaded her that this is the best thing for her to do as bottling up the hatred & anger she more than likely truly feels would not help her move on with her life.

That's quite possible.

She also says that he shouldn't be prevented from receiving his award. I agree with her in that regard.

quote:
As people unconnected to either party,we do not have to forgive this sorry excuse for a human being
No, no you don't.

quote:
I`d love to see you defend him in front of a real anti-rape group!
Yet again; I'm not defending what he did.

quote:
Origianlly posted by theory9:
Harrison should be disappointed and disgusted with someone who he calls 'friend', who refuses to take responsibility for their actions.

If that's your opinion, fine. I think it's a bit pretentious to tell someone what they should think.

If you had a friend or family member that was a fugitive from the law(and yes, I realize Ford became great friends with Polanski after his conviction; I'm thinking generally), would you be disgusted with them? Would you automatically assume that because of their conviction that they were maliciously sociopathic in their intent?

quote:
The Oscars is implicitly imparting forgiveness and encouraging likeability for Polanski.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

quote:
Originally posted by bsams:
have you been reading your posts?

I feel like I should be asking you this.....

Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
Kisser Of John Byrne Ass
15000+ posts
The point is Ani..How can you be neutral?

If Alan Moore raped or murdered one of your loved ones I'm sure you would never buy or read any Alan Moore work again for the rest of your life. In fact you would burn or shit on your entire Alan Moore collection..and enjoy it.

And you know what if I knew Alan Moore raped or murdered someone. Even if I didn't know them and I wasn't directly affected by it I would do the same to my Alan moore collection. It's called empathy. It's a human emotion.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
It goes beyond human emotion it is such an act of hubris. Such horrifying egotism. That is accepted that people like A-man DEFEND him because of his art!
Society is so blinded, so brainwashed to go with the masses, follow what the media tells us to accept that a man who has accepted guilt for a crime yet never served in a prison on institution can continue to make money of the very people and country with whom he committed a crime and ran from.
Should we expect to see a New York Times bestseller from Saddam Hussein?
A hot new CD from Osama Bin Laden?
Lets give that it is "art" should people buy it? And that they should receive awards for it?
And lets have Sadam on Oprah so he can talk about how he was misjudged.
And maybe Bin Laden can be Jlo's next boy toy.
Becaause their crimes dont reflect thir art.
Why is the American industry allowing this fugitve to make films?
I can see your arguement with Woody Allen dont agree with it al but this guy admited to coaxing this girl to his home because he wanted to have sex with and later (after he was caught) realized it was a bad idea. Who knows how many girls havent come forward or were paid off.
Its jokers like you who allow Micheal Jackson to continue his reign of terror.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Honestly, Franta, I can't respond to that, because there's no point. You've clearly failed to get what I've been saying these past 4 pages; you might as well have not read a single word I posted.

I'm sure whatever I said would just encourage you to call me more names, anyway.

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
The irony in having Rorschach(sp.) as your avatar...

Animalman said:
quote:
If that's your opinion, fine. I think it's a bit pretentious to tell someone what they should think.

If you had a friend or family member that was a fugitive from the law(and yes, I realize Ford became great friends with Polanski after his conviction; I'm thinking generally), would you be disgusted with them? Would you automatically assume that because of their conviction that they were maliciously sociopathic in their intent?

I've had friends that were convicted of serious crimes: murder, assault with a deadly weapon and the like, and I saw no reason to continue speaking to them. Taking into account whatever circumstances led to such an act, I saw them by and large as people trying to take shortcuts at the expense of others, sometimes even killing someone else with no sufficient justification. Of course, Polanski doesn't figure into your scenario.

I'm not sure what else you can infer about Polanski's behavior but some form of quasi-sociopath behavior: he did the crime, admitted to the crime, then fled the country and has spent the whole of his life offering contrite excuses and rationalizations for his crime.

To make the situation a bit clearer and less morally weighted, take a case of petty theft: a friend of yours has stolen something from an anonymous third party. You understand the item to be stolen, yet because he/she is your friend you ignore the fact that it is stolen. If one lives a morally neutral or morally relative life, one is free to ignore. If one feels no responsibility to an inner morality, one rudimentary enough to distinguish right from wrong, well...

Any public activity which confers an award for an activity can be said to also confer a "moral seal of approval". The Academy Awards are meant to be--at least in principle--for movies that somehow add to the human experience. One can watch a movie and see life played out over the course of a few hours, and understand something about human nature. When we receive awards--perhaps at a job or a civic organization--there is an understanding that we didn't lie or cheat to achieve our ends. What if the awards handed out to car makers for safety didn't take into account the possibility that lies and deceit were used to achieve their goals?

Giving the award to Polanski, taking into account the aforementioned factors, is a farce.

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
...well said theo...

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
quote:
Err they maybe I just imagined you saying

"No. Does it make him right in what he did? No. However, it also doesn't make him an evil person."

Nope I was right,go back & check your post on page 1.

If you are gonna defend a dirty bastard rapist,at least try not to contradict yourself!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That doesn't contradict what I said. I never said he was or wasn't an evil person, I just said that what he did doesn't necessarily make him an evil person. Again, I'm not passing judgement on the guy personally(as you are in referring to him as a "dirty bastard"). I'm neutral

Once again I draw your attention to this line!

quote:
No. However, it also doesn't make him an evil person
You see that,the bit where you said "it also DOESNT make him an evil person."

Then you have said you have not said he is or isnt evil,well thats called a contradiction!

Officially "too old for this shit"
15000+ posts
15000+ posts
The only true test of a person's morality is his or her actions.

Evil actions indicate, without some compelling justification, an evil person. A sufficiently eveil act, even if isolated, speaks volumes more about a person's character than what he or she might do for a living (or "art", if you prefer).

Sadly, we seem to have gotten away from that simple truth over the last few years.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by theory9:
I'm not sure what else you can infer about Polanski's behavior but some form of quasi-sociopath behavior: he did the crime, admitted to the crime, then fled the country and has spent the whole of his life offering contrite excuses and rationalizations for his crime.

To make the situation a bit clearer and less morally weighted, take a case of petty theft: a friend of yours has stolen something from an anonymous third party. You understand the item to be stolen, yet because he/she is your friend you ignore the fact that it is stolen. If one lives a morally neutral or morally relative life, one is free to ignore. If one feels no responsibility to an inner morality, one rudimentary enough to distinguish right from wrong, well...

Any public activity which confers an award for an activity can be said to also confer a "moral seal of approval". The Academy Awards are meant to be--at least in principle--for movies that somehow add to the human experience. One can watch a movie and see life played out over the course of a few hours, and understand something about human nature. When we receive awards--perhaps at a job or a civic organization--there is an understanding that we didn't lie or cheat to achieve our ends. What if the awards handed out to car makers for safety didn't take into account the possibility that lies and deceit were used to achieve their goals?

Giving the award to Polanski, taking into account the aforementioned factors, is a farce.

You state your case very well, I see where your coming from.

I don't see the car company comparison as being applicable, simply because I don't believe movies are a service. They can have social or emotional importance, "adding to the human experience" as you say, but they aren't something produced solely for the purpose of aiding or serving people. They aren't a tool.

With a service, by awarding that which is achieved through deception, it's inadvertently encouraging using those methods. If a small car company sees a large company cut corners and end up making money and receiving good grades, they'll think "hey, if we do that, too, we can get those things". That's why it's wrong. With Polanski, no director is going to think "hey, if I have sex with a 13 year old girl, then flee the country, I can get an Oscar!"

quote:
You see that,the bit where you said "it also DOESNT make him an evil person."

Then you have said you have not said he is or isnt evil,well thats called a contradiction!

That's not a contradiction. I was saying what doesn't make a person evil(elaborating, it also doesn't make him good), not saying that the person was good(or evil). It isn't a contradiction. One is debating what is criteria, another is a classification based on the sum of that criteria. Two different things.

quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Evil actions indicate, without some compelling justification, an evil person.

That's a fairly black and white way of looking at it. If the legal system was to follow that motto, the concept of rehabilitation wouldn't exist, and there wouldn't be a varying degree of any crime. I think situation, circumstances and intent are a factor. Doesn't a judge consider such things when determining a sentence?

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
To a large extent, circumstances and intent determine whether or not an act is evil, or the extent of that evil.

And no where do I state that an evil person cannot be rehabilitated.

The point was simple. People should be judged by their actions.

Polanski's actions: raping a child, fleeing to avoid sentencing, showing no remorse, etc., are evil actions. They indicate that he is evil.

His, and your, protestations to the contrary.

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Quite simply put:
Rapists are evil bastards!
Rapists of children are dirty evil bastards who need to be hung!
FUCK POLANSKI & FUCK THE OSCARS!

6000+ posts
6000+ posts
animalman said: "As for the Academy Awards, I do think the voting can have something to do with the reputation of the actor or the role being played."

Clearly this is true. It's rather well-accepted that Kate Hepburn's Oscar for GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER was in part a nod toward her loss of Spencer Tracy right after filming. Similarly, Henry Fonda was awarded his lone Oscar for ON GOLDEN POND while he was terminally ill. And I have heard it rumored that Paul Newman was awarded an Oscar for THE COLOR OF MONEY as a tribute to his body of work.

--Jim

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
...there are always rumors started by those who dont win, Newman was great in The Color Of Money...and as an added bonus he has never been convicted of raping a child....

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
He also has a very successful Champ car team!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Jackson:
Clearly this is true. It's rather well-accepted that Kate Hepburn's Oscar for GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER was in part a nod toward her loss of Spencer Tracy right after filming. Similarly, Henry Fonda was awarded his lone Oscar for ON GOLDEN POND while he was terminally ill. And I have heard it rumored that Paul Newman was awarded an Oscar for THE COLOR OF MONEY as a tribute to his body of work.

And then there's the "makeup Oscar". Brando winning best actor for The Godfather to make up for not being given the award for On the Waterfront and A Streetcar Named Desire like he should have. Most recently, Denzel Washington winning for "Training Days" to make up for not being given the award for "Malcolm X" or "The Hurricane". You could even make an argument for Randy Newman being given the award for best song in 2002 as a makeup for the dozen times he was nominated before and didn't win(definitely should have won for composing the score for The Natural).

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
....how do you know those are make up Oscars? how do you know those who voted on it didnt think those were the best performances that year? you do realize alot of times the camps of those who lose make up such a spin to dent the loss, like those that were upset with Marissa Tomies win even went so far as to start a rumor she didnt really even win that year but some still believe that to this day...

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Animalman is a Communist. [biiiig grin]

devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
devil-lovin' Bat-Man
15000+ posts
Like in Dr Strangelove?

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
 -

"It is not only possible, it is essential."

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
Sure Comrade Suuurrrreeee.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Actually, he's a Nazi, but hey, they're all the same, right?

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
[nyah hah]

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
[wink]

betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
betrayal and collapse
5000+ posts
RIP Edward Teller.

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
 -

Anyone who was subjected to this man sleeping in their bed should also receive a GET OUT OF JAIL free card as well!

50000+ posts
50000+ posts
there's you crime officer!

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
 -

PJP Offline
We already are
15000+ posts
We already are
15000+ posts
[woooOOOOoooo!]

10000+ posts
10000+ posts
Ive also heard rumor that the guy who wrote Jeepers Creepers is a child molester. He was found to have a video of an 11year old giving oral sex to him. And that "Hollywood" is covering it up because "art" should have nothing to do with his crime.
Anyone confirm this?

1000+ posts
1000+ posts
Check on the internet for Victor Salva. He did this back in 1988, but I haven't read anything about a cover-up yet.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Clean Slate? Film director and 30-year fugitive Roman Polanski asks L.A. judge to dismiss child-sex charge

Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Hip To Be Square
15000+ posts
Animalman might get his way in the end.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
 Originally Posted By: Nowhereman
Animalman might get his way in the end.

Ironic. I'm pretty sure that Polanski's victim got it there too.

Headliner
200+ posts
Headliner
200+ posts
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.

rex Offline
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
Who will I break next?
15000+ posts
g-man got an oscar?

November 6th, 2012: Americas new Independence Day.
2000+ posts
2000+ posts
If this works lot of annoying people are gonna say that he was innocent and everyone should shut up, despite the fact he still admitted his got the 13 year old pissed and then fucked her. And so I shall tell them they are all cunts.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Court rejects Polanski bid to disqualify LA judges
  • LOS ANGELES -- An appeals court has rejected a bid by Roman Polanski's attorneys to disqualify all Los Angeles Superior Court judges from considering a request to dismiss a rape case against the fugitive film director.

A three-judge panel of the California 2nd District Court of Appeal on Monday also lifted a stay on all proceedings in the 31-year-old case, sending the case back to Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza.

The court will schedule another hearing to decide whether Polanski has to be present for the court to hear his motion to dismiss a charge that he raped a 13-year-old girl. Superior Court spokesman Allan Parachini said the court will set a hearing date on Tuesday.

Polanski, 75, pleaded guilty to having sex with the girl in Los Angeles in 1978 but fled to France before he could be sentenced.

15000+ posts
15000+ posts
Swiss Arrest Roman Polanski for Possible Extradition to U.S. in Sex Case
  • Director Roman Polanski was arrested by Swiss police for possible extradition to the United States for having sex in 1977 with a 13-year-old girl, authorities said Sunday.

Polanski, a French citizen, was flying in to receive an honorary award at the Zurich Film Festival when he was apprehended Saturday at the airport, the Swiss Justice Ministry said in a statement. It said U.S. authorities have sought the arrest of the 76-year-old around the world since 2005.

"There was a valid arrest request and we knew when he was coming," ministry spokesman Guido Balmer told The Associated Press. "That's why he was taken into custody."

Balmer said the U.S. would now be given time to make a formal extradition request.

Polanski has been living in France since he fled the U.S. in 1978, a year after pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the underage girl. Authorities told FOX News that Polanski's possible extradition to the U.S. will likely take some time — up to a month or longer.

Anyone want to take bets on if and when this slime's Hollywood pals petition Obama for a presidential pardon?

The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
The Once, and Future Cunt
15000+ posts
I bet they already have.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard